PDA

View Full Version : How are the Mariners winning?

UserNameBlank
07-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Seattle sits 3 games back in the AL West with a 51-38 record. 2/5 of their rotation has an ERA over 6 in a pitchers park (6.47 for Ramirez, 6.82 for Weaver), Richie Sexson is hitting .201/.297/.406, their DH is Jose Vidro, and their catcher speaks Japanese. ***??? How are they winning? Their lineup is full of top and bottom of the order hitters with no legitimate middle of the order threat (considering Sexson's year) and their #3 starter is Miguel Batista. What is going on?

The Racehorse
07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Ichiro is being Ichiro... and Beltre is on FIRE.

Tragg
07-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I have no idea.
I saw them get swept at home by the As last year, while the Ms were around .500. They looked awful. Sexon was his usualy lazy self, popping balls up with half-hearted swings; a couple of pitchers looked okay but most were just bad. No one could hit.

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 06:00 PM
My guess, they are outscoring their opponents.:D:

HawkDJ
07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Well right now their bullpen is kicking butt, which makes me very jealous and means they're likely to pull out those close games.

For anyone who takes stock in such things, the M's are 5 games ahead of their projected Pythagorean win total right now. So the idea would be they should cool off eventually, though it's not unusual to have a full season of such "luck" (see: 2005 White Sox).

Lip Man 1
07-16-2007, 09:31 PM
They have a solid bullpen and are getting clutch hits at the right time...I remember when the Sox used to be able to do that!

Lip

Chicken Dinner
07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
They have a solid bullpen and are getting clutch hits at the right time...I remember when the Sox used to be able to do that!

Lip

Yep!!

oeo
07-16-2007, 10:10 PM
They're out-slugging and holding leads, I guess. Their starting pitching is atrocious.

How are the Orioles so bad? They have great SP, and an average offense, but a bad bullpen. How are we so bad? Awful bullpen. I guess it goes to show you how valuable a good bullpen is. A good bullpen would make a world of difference for us right now.

y2j2785
07-16-2007, 10:29 PM
They have a great bullpen, especially with Putz at the end. Guillen has been decent all year. Ichiro is well Ichiro. Kenji Johjima is one of the better offensive catchers in the AL.

BadBobbyJenks
07-16-2007, 11:11 PM
My guess, they are outscoring their opponents.:D:

by a total of 18 runs or something like that...simply put they have been really lucky

palehozenychicty
07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
They're out-slugging and holding leads, I guess. Their starting pitching is atrocious.

How are the Orioles so bad? They have great SP, and an average offense, but a bad bullpen. How are we so bad? Awful bullpen. I guess it goes to show you how valuable a good bullpen is. A good bullpen would make a world of difference for us right now.

Yep, yep yep. You need a good bullpen.

goofymsfan
07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Part of the reason they are winning games is because of the Bull Pen. They also have the attitude that they can win every game even when they fall behind. That's something they have lacked in recent years. With the bull pen as solid as it is, that has helped the attitude because they know if they can get the lead they can be pretty sure they will get a win. Ramierez is 5-0 at Safeco Field. Batista has been pretty decent as well. Weaver, up until this last start has been solid since coming off the DL.

Even with everything they've had to deal with this year, they have the attitude that they can win.

PKalltheway
07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Man, when you're hot, you're hot!:tongue: Everything falls into place. What a difference a good bullpen can make. If the Indians and Braves had a good bullpen last year, they would have probably made the playoffs. Heck, if the Reds had a better bullpen last year, they would have made the playoffs in that horse**** division. A good bullpen can do wonders for a team. Just look at how good the Angels and Padres are this year.

champagne030
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
by a total of 18 runs or something like that...simply put they have been really lucky

That's what the propeller heads are saying. The problem with that train of thought is that they may lose big when their starters get bombed, but they win the close one's because of the bullpen and they put the ball in play (don't K).

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM

Lip
That's precisely what's going on there. Hawk's so right when he says it's not what you hit, but when you hit.