PDA

View Full Version : With the help of family and the Sox, injured Chicago Police officer re-lives 2005 WS

WizardsofOzzie
07-16-2007, 01:02 PM
It's awful on all him and his family has had to go through, but the thought of him sitting there watching the WS DVD's and cheering on the Sox not knowing what is going to happen brings a smile to my face and chokes me up a little. :smile: :whiner:

Tim Sheehan awoke from a nine-week coma a White Sox fan.He didn’t know his wife or three children. He didn’t know why he was in the hospital or why he was in so much pain.
His family wrote, “A big White Sox fan” on the patient form next to his bed.
Nurses, trying to help him connect with his life before the coma, chatted about the 2005 World championship.
Still hooked up to monitors and tubes and unable to speak, Tim shook his head. “No way,” he thought. “I love the Sox, but my team hasn’t won a championship for 80 years.”
It was April 2006.

http://www.policeone.com/news/1289738/

WizardsofOzzie
07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Forgive my grammar. I'm tired and it won't let me edit my post, so the first sentence will actually make sense.

Lip Man 1
07-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Amazing story.

Lip

esbrechtel
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
I love to hear how supportive the white sox are of their fans in need...We do have a very classy organization....

Soxfanspcu11
07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I am not bull****ting here, this is one of the BEST true stories that I have EVER read!!!

The part about him being a Sox fan is just an added bonus!

The human element and most importantly, the love that his family, friends and co-workers showed is so amazing!!!

In this day and age of seemingly endless horrible stories about death, corruption, abuse and just all around "badness", a story like this is just so refreshing!

Without sounding cheesy, it makes my heart so warm to see that love and kindness like this still exists in 2007. Kudos to EVERYONE involved in helping Tim recover. And to Tim himself for being so incredibly brave and having some huge balls and facing this situation head on. Speaking to the kids at Notre Dame, that's just.........wow, just wow. It would be so easy for him to just stay behind the scenes, get waited on hand and foot and never fully accept what happened to him.

But the fact that he is out there, trying to make the best out of this horrible situation. Again, WOW. What an amazing person. What an amazing story.

I was slightly confused however, by something written about 12 or so paragraphs in.

It says that Tim's wife is named Maryann, but then it also says that his mother's name is Maryann. Maryann is not the most common name, so I am assuming that this must be a mistake. Or perhaps they are both named Maryann? I don't know, if someone can figure that out, I would appreciate it.

Also, what a well written article. That slight confusion over "Maryann" aside, the writer is very gifted.

Reading that article, I can picture in my mind pretty much everything going on. The line where the author says that his wife saw on the caller ID, "Village of Arlington Heights" and thought, "what did Tim forget now" was one part that I particuarly liked.

I mean, I see that completely in my head. I see Tim's wife confused as to who is calling so late, then I see her thinking to herself, "Oh, it's Tim, he forgot something" and then to the shock she must have felt knowing that he was in an accident, and then to the confusion and terror she must have felt on her way to the hospital, not knowing what was happening. It is put together very very well.

All in all, a great read!

Thanks a bunch for posting this man! It made my day!

Again, I wish ALL THE BEST for Tim and his family!

And by the way, what an AMAZING gesture by the White Sox!!!

Anyone who believes that this is not one of the classiest organizations in ALL of SPORTS is completely insane.

TommyJohn
07-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Anyone who believes that this is not one of the classiest organizations in ALL of SPORTS is completely insane.

:moron

You rang?

Law11
07-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I remember when this happened out here and was wondering what the end result had been. Great read, even greater story.