PDA

View Full Version : Nos Amours??????

Fenway
07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
French radio station CKAC aired a report this morning that Loria is talking to Montreal and Quebec officials about moving the Marlins to Montreal and bringing back the Expos name.

Youppi! on his knees praying

http://img.search.com/thumb/d/d4/4442_3.jpg/200px-4442_3.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:4442_3.jpg)

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
As long as they go back to the tri-colored hat, I'm content...I seriously don't think baseball is a good idea in either south Florida OR Montreal. Although it's been shown that it CAN work in Montreal.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 02:22 PM
As long as they go back to the tri-colored hat, I'm content...I seriously don't think baseball is a good idea in either south Florida OR Montreal. Although it's been shown that it CAN work in Montreal.

Formula in Montreal is simple......open air stadium near downtown

It almost happened but Loria screwed it up most think on purpose

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/monbpk.htm

palehozenychicty
07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I can't imagine playing up there in April. Supposedly Montreal stays cold until June. I think that they should just contract a team or two and have a draft.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I can't imagine playing up there in April. Supposedly Montreal stays cold until June. I think that they should just contract a team or two and have a draft.

Honestly it isn't that much worse than Boston by April ( of course that is not saying much )

Some factors have changed in the past few years. The Canadian version of the FCC (CRTC) is now allowing more regional sports channels so TV money is there.

Also for decades the Expos were forgotten in springtime because Club de Hockey Canadiens de Montréal would play long into the spring. Now they have trouble making the playoffs.

PKalltheway
07-17-2007, 08:33 PM
The Marlins have been struggling to get a new stadium in Miami for the longest, and the only way a team is going to return to Montreal is if a new stadium is GUARANTEED (which more than likely won't happen).

Either move the Marlins to a city that will guarantee them a stadium, or contract BOTH Florida teams.

DSpivack
07-17-2007, 08:56 PM
The Marlins have been struggling to get a new stadium in Miami for the longest, and the only way a team is going to return to Montreal is if a new stadium is GUARANTEED (which more than likely won't happen).

Either move the Marlins to a city that will guarantee them a stadium, or contract BOTH Florida teams.

That won't happen. There would be another strike before the MLBPA agrees to get rid of two teams.

Daver
07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
That won't happen. There would be another strike before the MLBPA agrees to get rid of two teams.

The MLBPA agreed to language that does not allow them to block contraction in the last CBA.

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2007, 10:03 PM
The MLBPA agreed to language that does not allow them to block contraction in the last CBA.
Also if those teams aren't making money and nobody wants to buy them, how can they stop them from folding?

Daver
07-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Also if those teams aren't making money and nobody wants to buy them, how can they stop them from folding?

They aren't making money?

That would be for the courts to decide, and I guarantee MLB does not want any part of the courts gaining access to the books of a franchise.

DSpivack
07-17-2007, 10:23 PM

But then what would happen? Wouldn't rosters have to go up to accomodate the losses?