View Full Version : My (Humiliating) Trip to Baltimore

NoNeckEra
07-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, just got back from O'Hare.

You can imagine how it went.

Nice park. OK fans. Good food & drink.

More bad baseball from the Sox.

Lots of Sox fans (mostly frutstrated).

I'm now starting to lean toward putting the blame from this point forward on KW.
What the heck is Juan Uribe even doing on this team?
Ditto Jose Contreras.
Can we please get someone in the bullpen who can get a clutch out?

whitesoxwilkes
07-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Just got back from my 5th annual pilgrimage to see the Sox at the Yards. Although I had a blast and the company I was surrounded with was top notch, the games sucked ass.

If you saw some jackasses running around the park today with crab head hats on our melons, that was us.

chisoxfanatic
07-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I feel bad for all of you Sox fans who went there, especially last night! Yikes!

tacosalbarojas
07-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Anyone have any of Boog's barbeque? If so please report on how it was.

BainesHOF
07-16-2007, 05:48 AM
What the heck is Juan Uribe even doing on this team?

His daily lack of caring enough to give a full effort, especially in the field, is offensive.

Pequod
07-16-2007, 07:07 AM
I was there yesterday. First Sox game I've been to this year. Those of you back home that get to games regularly already see this, I'm sure. But the thing that stood out to me was the overall lack of energy. Minimal effort. Stands in stark contrast to when I saw them out here last year when they kept battling to stay ahead in a slugfest. They just look beat down.

The Racehorse
07-16-2007, 07:28 AM
I was there yesterday, and... there went my Sox 5 game winning streak at the Yard.

eriqjaffe
07-16-2007, 08:16 AM
His daily lack of caring enough to give a full effort, especially in the field, is offensive.And that's all the offense he provides!

Rockin Robin
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
And that's all the offense he provides!

http://www.billrotelladrumbeatings.com/rimshot.gif

HawkDJ
07-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Just got back from my 5th annual pilgrimage to see the Sox at the Yards. Although I had a blast and the company I was surrounded with was top notch, the games sucked ass.

If you saw some jackasses running around the park today with crab head hats on our melons, that was us.

Definitely saw you then.

jenn2080
07-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Just shoot me please. That is all I have to say in regards to my trip to watch this team.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Just shoot me please. That is all I have to say in regards to my trip to watch this team.

but Jenn. How were the crabcakes?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/Cardamomaddict/Meat/060304Crabcakes.jpg

EastCoastSoxFan
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Anyone have any of Boog's barbeque? If so please report on how it was.Boog's barbecue is quite tasty, but not nearly enough to make up for all of the suckage on the field...

Grzegorz
07-16-2007, 03:05 PM
How were the fans?

MrRoboto83
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Sounds like about the same fun as I had in Philly, that series was not very pleasant like Baltimore. What gives anyway why can't the Sox beat Baltimore.

HawkDJ
07-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Thought I ought to post my experience.

I went to Friday, Saturday and Sunday's games, all losses of course. Loved the park but the team was just embarassing to watch.

Friday got in a bit early, walked around the park then went to the bullpen to watch Buehrle warm up. It was great watching him and not worrying about where he would be next year. Quick game that it was, I hung out by the bullpen for 6 innings. While our offense was boring everyone in the stands, I was entertained watching the bullpen try to flick sunflower seeds into a tiny cup. After hundreds of attempts they failed and set their sights at Boone Logan sitting off on his own in the corner of the pen. It was pretty entertaining and almost made me forget they are all completely miserable pitchers.

In the 7th we went to our seats down the 3rd base line. We sat behind a rather obnoxious "Sox fan" (well he was wearing a Sox hat at least) and a "Orioles fan" (later confessed he's a Red Sox fan :?:). Anyway the two of them were quite drunk and one looked like he was possibly on the 'roids. The "O's fan" was trying desperately to get the fans into the game but they were just not having it. The best line of the day was delivered by a rather long haired guy in a black Sox jersey (not sure if he's on this site). After the "O's fan" yelled out "Come on, we really need to get behind these guys!", long haired Sox fan said "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

After the game was fireworks, and let me tell ya, the crowd really come alive for that. Loudest cheers of the day by far were for the fireworks. It seems after 9 straight losing seasons, fireworks are more exciting than a win over the 4th place White Sox.

Saturday was of course the huge bullpen meltdown. I was able to sneak into club level which was rather similar to USCF club level (as was of course the seat colors and the roof). Nothing noteworthy from the game except I got ridiculed by 4 drunk O's fans about my Harold Baines jersey.

Sunday we got seats behind home plate thanks to my friend's cousin. They were great seats but it was 95 degrees out and the sun was beaming right on us. Since we were with my friend's sister and since I rather knew what the outcome of the game would be we had to leave after 4 innings. I don't think I missed much. I did, however, get some great shots of the guys pre-game. I'll put those up later tonight.

skottyj242
07-16-2007, 03:52 PM
I got pickled at Pickles.

The Racehorse
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
How were the fans?

I was there for only the Sunday game with my buddy & his wife, and while I was the only one wearing anything baseball related [my blue cooperstown Sox cap], no one bothered me.

I went to the four game sweep back in '05 all by myself, and only had one "minor incident". I was standing off to the side of a consession line in the UD where a small group young 20 somethings walked by, and then one got in my face from the side [I was wearing my black Sox cap], to scream something incoherent... my response, "grow up!" [my standard line in those situations].

skottyj242
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.3&disp=thd&view=att&th=113cf8ca29a053fd (http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.3&disp=inline&view=att&th=113cf8ca29a053fd)

jongarlandlover
07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Anyone have any of Boog's barbeque? If so please report on how it was.

Very good. And Camden is a beautiful ballpark.

As for my experience, I was at all 4 games. Thankfully they won one of them. However, I got some great pictures, as I got there really early and went down by the field. And a couple autographs from the guys in the 'pen along with a picture of me and John Danks. Also got to see the guys at the hotel (I stayed at the same one as them.).

Soxfanspcu11
07-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Boog's barbecue is quite tasty, but not nearly enough to make up for all of the suckage on the field...

Indeed.

I used to go on these baseball tours with my father about 10-15 years ago. We would go every year. You guys probably have heard of them. They are called "SportsTours" or something along those lines and they do it for all sports. Baseball is the best though, basically because of the way baseball is set up (game every night). You get to take a week's vacation and visit 3-4 different parks, it's great!

The year that I went to Baltimore, I saw 2 games at Camden Yards. Within a week, we also got to see 2 games at Yankee Stadium, 1 at Fenway and a trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame! This was in 1996 and it was a FANTASTIC TRIP!

Back then (1996) Camden Yards was like the place to be in Baltimore. That was when EVERY game was sold out and the crowds were great, very into the game, very friendly, great time.

IIRC, Boog's Barbeque had just opened up their brand new stand that year and they were still working out the kinks (VERY long line) but the food was outstanding!

We also took a tour of the park. It only cost 5 bucks a person and it was an amazing tour! Our guide took us EVERYWHERE! The clubhouse, bullpen, the dugout. We even got to walk on the field and take pictures! One of the neatest parts was that our guide showed us how the warning track was specially designed to absorb water. He took a cup of water and dumped it out on the track and it basically INSANTLY disappeared! I can't believe I still remember that, but it was quite cool!

BTW, and this is totally out of leftfield, I HATE the word "tasty"! Almost as much as I hate the word "Yummy". I know that this is the wrong thread for that and most of you are thinking :?:, but I just had to get that out! I feel better now!!!:redface:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.3&disp=thd&view=att&th=113cf8ca29a053fd (http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.3&disp=inline&view=att&th=113cf8ca29a053fd)

My nomination for POTW!!!!!

lostfan
07-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I would've posted this a couple of days ago but I got banned for reasons still unbeknownst to me. :?:

I was at the 3rd and 4th games. For the 3rd game my friend (an O's fan) and me were talking so much baseball that the fans didn't even care that I was a Sox fan, they could tell that I knew my stuff and wasn't a trash talker so they left me alone. They did rub it in just a tad when the Sox choked the end away but I was busy cursing Josh Fields so I didn't notice. The 4th game, pretty much from the very start I had been saying things like "I have NO confidence in Contreras, yesterday was supposed to be our win for a series split..." and then as time went on and Contreras kept pitching badly I started complaining louder and louder "god I hate Contreras" "trade him now" "good god, this guy sucks" etc (with the assistance of beer of course).

Camden Yards is always a good time though, since my wife is an O's fan I would probably be an O's fan if it wasn't for the fact that I was from the South Side.

mwc44
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
This was my first trip to Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I, too, was at the 3rd and 4th games. Here's my review...

Ballpark: Great! Wide concourses, definitely more "smoker-friendly" than most parks, real ushers who were willing to assist in any way they could (took us right to our seats and insisted on wiping them down before we sat). On Sunday, they had stations all over the park handing out cups of ice to help people beat the heat... an A+ stadium.

Ballpark Tour: Great! A 90 minute tour of all over the park, including the White Sox dugout and only $7.00... a fun experience.

Concessions: Average.. not better or worse than USCF. I did like how you get your food and then paid as you exited the area; it seemed to make the lines go very fast.

Inner Harbor Area: Great... would be nice if we could do more around the lakefront here as they did in Baltimore.

Heat: Ridiculous... especially Sunday's 97 degree game.

Oriole Fans: Nice... no hassles even though I was wearing Sox garb and cheered (albeit not often).

Other Fans: This was sort of strange... 1/3 wearing Baltimore hats, shirts, etc. 1/3 wearing Sox hats, etc. Remaining 1/3 wearing hats shirts, etc. from every other team (Rockies, Brewers, Twins, one guy even had full blown Cub gear on... he must have made a wrong turn on the Beltway), with Boston being the most represented.

OH YEAH... White Sox Baseball: (Forget it... even the language filters wouldn't be able to save me from being banned for a while).

Overall first impression of Baltimore and Oriole Park at Camden Yards: B+ (points deducted for heat and White Sox bullpen and losses). I look forward to returning again.

HawkDJ
07-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Other Fans: This was sort of strange... 1/3 wearing Baltimore hats, shirts, etc. 1/3 wearing Sox hats, etc. Remaining 1/3 wearing hats shirts, etc. from every other team (Rockies, Brewers, Twins, one guy even had full blown Cub gear on... he must have made a wrong turn on the Beltway), with Boston being the most represented.

Someone was wearing a Kerry Wood jersey. I'm not sure what point he was trying to make.

lostfan
07-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Someone was wearing a Kerry Wood jersey. I'm not sure what point he was trying to make.
That baseball jerseys cost too much money to justify him throwing it away or letting it collect dust in his closet? Heh. I'd be half-tempted to just tear the letters off though and put my own on it.

mwc44
07-17-2007, 10:36 AM

The guy I saw with cap and jersey had "PRIOR" on the back...

Perhaps the International Towel Pitching Championships were in town, too!

EastCoastSoxFan
07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
How were the fans?In nine trips to Camden Yards I have yet to encounter any out-and-out jerks.
Most of the fans I have talked to have been relatively nice and somewhat knowledgeable.
On this particular occasion I actually ended up sitting near some Yankee fans (?), and when I overheard them say they were going to root for the Sox, I turned around in my seat (thereby revealing my Sox jersey) and said, "That's good to hear."
And then Jenks throws a damn wild pitch with two outs in the bottom of the ninth and two strikes...:angry:

lostfan
07-17-2007, 10:49 AM
In nine trips to Camden Yards I have yet to encounter any out-and-out jerks.
Most of the fans I have talked to have been relatively nice and somewhat knowledgeable.
On this particular occasion I actually ended up sitting near some Yankee fans (?), and when I overheard them say they were going to root for the Sox, I turned around in my seat (thereby revealing my Sox jersey) and said, "That's good to hear."
And then Jenks throws a damn wild pitch with two outs and two strikes...:angry:
Yankee fans are everywhere... believe it or not, I find the majority of them to be basically the same as all of us. They're just fans of a team everyone else hates (or is jealous of, take your pick).

Pequod
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Yankee fans are everywhere... believe it or not, I find the majority of them to be basically the same as all of us. They're just fans of a team everyone else hates (or is jealous of, take your pick).

I don't know...I used to work with a couple of Yankee fans that were pretty unbearable. They act pretty superior when talking baseball -- seem to have some warped belief that baseball knowledge is directly proportional to the success of their team.

lostfan
07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't know...I used to work with a couple of Yankee fans that were pretty unbearable. They act pretty superior when talking baseball -- seem to have some warped belief that baseball knowledge is directly proportional to the success of their team.
I'm not saying that I've never come across those types because I have. But the ones that I talk to regularly, in real life and on the internet, are pretty knowledgeable and they're not the stereotypical condescending pricks of fans that we all know.