PDA

View Full Version : My son goes to Wrigley

Fenway
07-15-2007, 07:05 PM
As I mentioned last month my son who loves lacrosse ( he is 15) really looked forward to us seeing his beloved Boston Cannons play in Chicago. Chicago won 19-18 last night in Bridgeview in a great game.

Today my son went to Wrigley.

First words out of his mouth.....

where is the video board?

I say " well they don't have one because it is a historical landmark "

he says " but Fenway is older and we have one, heck Lowell ( short season A ) has one

Then in the 5th inning he says "Dad this place smells bad"

Mind you this is a kid who has been to Yankee Stadium

DumpJerry
07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
You should have told him that the Roman Coliseum is modern by comparison.

Grzegorz
07-15-2007, 07:09 PM
As I mentioned last month my son who loves lacrosse ( he is 15) really looked forward to us seeing his beloved Boston Canyons play in Chicago. Chicago won 19-18 last night in Bridgeview in a great game.

he says " but Fenway is older and we have one, heck Lowell ( short season A ) has one

Smart kid; he gets to the heart of the matter and seems to be very observant. I see great potential in him being a scientist. :D:

chisoxfanatic
07-15-2007, 07:11 PM
As I mentioned last month my son who loves lacrosse ( he is 15) really looked forward to us seeing his beloved Boston Canyons play in Chicago. Chicago won 19-18 last night in Bridgeview in a great game.

He's lucky he didn't have a piece of concrete fall on his head! :wink:

Fenway
07-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Smart kid; he gets to the heart of the matter and seems to be very observant. I see great potential in him being a scientist. :D:

When he was 8 he liked Stade Olympique in Montreal but that was because I arranged a private ride under the stadium with Youppi! :smile:

He enjoyed the game today but he didn't like the park itself ( and we had decent seats )

MarySwiss
07-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Now HERE'S a kid with a clue! Nice job, Fens!:cool:

Parrothead
07-15-2007, 08:54 PM

I think the bigger problem is the kid is traveling to see lacrosse.:o:

How many people were there?

thomas35forever
07-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Now HERE'S a kid with a clue! Nice job, Fens!:cool:
Yup. Proves Red Sox fans are smarter than Cubs fans.

DSpivack
07-16-2007, 01:05 AM
You should have told him that the Roman Coliseum is modern by comparison.

Well, in days of yore, the Coliseum had a retractable roof, so I'd certainly say so.

StillMissOzzie
07-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Yup. Proves Red Sox fans are smarter than Cubs fans.

Damned by faint praise, IMHO. So are most tree stumps.

SMO
:smile:

DrCrawdad
07-16-2007, 07:04 AM

Concrete hitting one's head, that's how you become a Cubbie fan.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 08:24 AM
I think the bigger problem is the kid is traveling to see lacrosse.:o:

How many people were there?

sadly only about 1,300 but the Machine is an expansion team.
Also a Cannons official said there was some confusion on where the game was being played as some Ticketmaster tickets had the game at Benedictine University whereever that is.

The Cannons have been around for a few years and this year moved into Harvard Stadium after Harvard finally put in lights. It is a great venue. Most games are on TV and they have a radio deal with ESPN Boston.

Son loved flying into Midway, thought it was like a Disney ride :o: (Dad hates it )

and he loved the Apple Store on Michigan. He has seen mall stores but Apple has yet to build their store in Boston as they have been fighting the city for 3 years over the design.

This one was finally approved and it will be across from the Pru Center
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2006/06/29/1151579820_5924.jpg

Fenway
07-16-2007, 01:17 PM

I can't believe the netting is still there THREE years later.....

It is a pretty ballpark, no one can take that away from it but it is in sad shape.

Outside the facade has all the charm of the Cook County Jail
http://yanksfansoxfan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/wrigley_trailer.jpg

tebman
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I can't believe the netting is still there THREE years later.....

It is a pretty ballpark, no one can take that away from it but it is in sad shape.

Outside the facade has all the charm of the Cook County Jail
http://yanksfansoxfan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/wrigley_trailer.jpg

My guess is that the netting is still there because to actually fix the concrete problem they'd have to rebuild the whole upper deck. Now that the Tribune is selling them anyway, there's no way they're going to invest one dime more than they have to.

It is a pretty ballpark at first blush, and for that the Cubs can thank Bill Veeck. The vines were his idea in the late 1930s when he was a very young man working there as a high-level gofer for his father, who was the Cubs' GM. The bleachers were rebuilt (1937?) with a bare brick wall at the outfield. Young Veeck suggested the vines and also designed the scoreboard and flagpole-yardarm structure on top of the bleachers. Wrigley indulged young Bill because Wrigley trusted Dad Veeck's judgment.

The problem with it now is that it's 90 years old and shows its age when you get up close. Exit access, plumbing, and construction are not up to current code or best practices, and besides that it's falling apart. Rick Morrissey called it a "dump" in one of his Tribune columns last year, and compared to USCF he's absolutely right. What keeps it going is the North-Side, Lincoln-Park, Tribune-WGN cachet that otherwise sensible people attach to it.

Who knows what the next owner will do with the place, but I'm sure nobody's going to be happy about it. They're either going to have to rebuild from the ground up or build a whole new ballpark somewhere else.