PDA

View Full Version : Changes From 2007 Season to 2008 Season

MCHSoxFan
07-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Even though you do not know for sure what KW will do, what kind of changes do you think will be made in between the seasons?

itsnotrequired
07-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Uniform changes? Official beer sponsor changes? Ticket pricing changes?

MCHSoxFan
07-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Uniform changes? Official beer sponsor changes? Ticket pricing changes?

Sorry. I am ONLY talking about changes concerning the actual players on the team. I am NOT talking about food, and drinks, and tickets, and the ad posters on the OF councourse.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I am positive that I have no clue at all.

I am positive that KW will make changes that he thinks will be positive.

I am positive that some of those changes will turn out to be positives, others negatives.

I am positive that some fans initially will be negative about some of the changes that turn out to be positives, and initially be positive about some of the changes that turn out to be negatives.

Lastly, I am positive that KW knows more about what he's going to do, and about building a winner, than 99% of the 8000+ members of WSI, especially me.
:tongue:

soxwon
07-15-2007, 02:55 PM
All Positive- The sox will win the world series in 08 !
Have a faith-a Faithaball is a back.
Da Reverand will lead Da sox to Da promised land-A

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I think Kenny hates the Southside so this offseason he is going to go out there and make moves he knows will hurt the team!!!

eastchicagosoxfan
07-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I have no idea how this team will look next year. KW has very little bargaining power. Buerhle won't be dealt, and that leaves Garland and Vazquez. Yet the starters, outside of Contreras, have been decent, as a group. The team has no speed, and outside of Owens, none on the farm that can be considered for the majors. Outside of Jenks, and maybe Thorton, the pen needs five new faces. How many can the organization supply? The team might well need a new outfield. Where does it come from, and how is it acquired? As time allows for a better evaluation of moves, the trade for Thome looks real bad for the Sox. The 2005 championship stands on its own, and the insincts used to put that team together need to applied again. The obvious move ( left-handed bat needed, acquire Thome ) hasn't paid off. In one respect, the team is where it was after 2004. They need to break-up the monotony of the homerun hitters with no speed in the middle of the line-up. It will take creativity to re-invent this team.

DumpJerry
07-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Negative changes? What in blazes is that? Nobody sets out to make negative changes.

Trading Buehrle to the Cubs for Cotts, I guess that would be a negative change.

KingXerxes
07-15-2007, 08:46 PM
While I readily admit to having absolutely no clue whatsoever to changes which will be made, I honestly think Ken Williams needs to add depth to this roster.

The White Sox have seen some bad luck this year with injuries - so I cut them some slack on that account, but I can't believe our system is so thin with talent that we don't have servicable backups to step in and at least partially fill the gap.

I don't think KW needs to land one or two big names in order to turn this around, I think he needs to land five or six so-so names in order to provide depth to the team. It won't be sexy that's for sure, but I suspect it will be the right thing to do.

p.s. He also needs to rebuild the bullpen (obvious of course, but again not a headline grabber).

MCHSoxFan
07-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Negative changes? What in blazes is that? Nobody sets out to make negative changes.

No, nobody sets out to make negative changes. However, changes that are too risky and have a great chance of not helping or giving less of a chance to help this team win. That is what I was saying.

itsnotrequired
07-15-2007, 10:10 PM
No, nobody sets out to make negative changes. However, changes that are too risky and have a great chance of not helping or giving less of a chance to help this team win. That is what I was saying.

How come your posts have that anti-Cub logo in them?

MCHSoxFan
07-16-2007, 09:41 AM
How come your posts have that anti-Cub logo in them?

The reason why I have anit-Cub logos on them is because since our season is really over, I do not want to see the Cubs do anything good. No playoffs, no winning streaks. NOTHING FROM THEM!!!

soxfanatlanta
07-16-2007, 09:53 AM
No clue: the inner workings of KW's mind go far beyond my ant-like comprehension.

soxfanatlanta
07-16-2007, 09:58 AM
No, nobody sets out to make negative changes.

Incorrect.

See the Florida Marlins.

itsnotrequired
07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
The reason why I have anit-Cub logos on them is because since our season is really over, I do not want to see the Cubs do anything good. No playoffs, no winning streaks. NOTHING FROM THEM!!!

:rolleyes:

russ99
07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I have no idea how this team will look next year. KW has very little bargaining power. Buerhle won't be dealt, and that leaves Garland and Vazquez. Yet the starters, outside of Contreras, have been decent, as a group. The team has no speed, and outside of Owens, none on the farm that can be considered for the majors. Outside of Jenks, and maybe Thorton, the pen needs five new faces. How many can the organization supply? The team might well need a new outfield. Where does it come from, and how is it acquired? As time allows for a better evaluation of moves, the trade for Thome looks real bad for the Sox. The 2005 championship stands on its own, and the insincts used to put that team together need to applied again. The obvious move ( left-handed bat needed, acquire Thome ) hasn't paid off. In one respect, the team is where it was after 2004. They need to break-up the monotony of the homerun hitters with no speed in the middle of the line-up. It will take creativity to re-invent this team.

Great points.

Free agency is where they'll likely need to add talent, since the minor league system is so barren and the return on the Sox potential FAs won't be as great as some Sox fans think. IMO - they'll be lucky to get one everyday outfielder/infielder (and likely will get pitching prospects) from Dye, Iguchi, Erstad, Pods, etc.

The other factor will be budget. If Jerry doesn't expand or even stay at the current payroll level, it's doubtful the Sox will be big players in free agency, since with Ichiro new and A-Rod's potential contracts, we won't be seeing Kenny's "market correction" any time soon.

The problem then will be that Kenny may be forced to trade payroll (Konerko, Thome, Vazquez, Contreras) in order to add payroll and stay under the new budget.

Flight #24
07-16-2007, 11:21 AM
The other factor will be budget. If Jerry doesn't expand or even stay at the current payroll level, it's doubtful the Sox will be big players in free agency, since with Ichiro new and A-Rod's potential contracts, we won't be seeing Kenny's "market correction" any time soon.

The problem then will be that Kenny may be forced to trade payroll (Konerko, Thome, Vazquez, Contreras) in order to add payroll and stay under the new budget.

This is really the issue. Because the Sox farm has basically collapsed in terms of providing anything for position players (Fields excepted), the only way to fix things quickly is via trade or FA. But the only guys you'd want to trade in a quick-fix mode are Jose, JD, and maybe Iguchi - and it doesn't seem like any will bring you much help in return.

That said, if JR's willing to raise the budget by ~$10M, I think there's a lot that they can do if they can just dump Jose's contract on someone. The rotation would make ~$36M (Buehrle, Garland, Javy, Danks, Gio/Floyd/Russell/Haeger/Masset/Sisco). Factor in Konerko-Thome-AJ-Fields and you'd have ~$26M for a total of $62M. If the Sox can pay out ~$110 (a $10M increase over their current cash outlay after factoring in money from Phils/DBacks), that would leave them ~$48M for an OF trio, SS, 2B, and 3 middle relief spots (2 going to Thornton & Logan). If one or both of of Sweeney/Anderson can be halfway decent, you'd have some room to add a star contract and some decent vets.

ZombieRob
07-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't mind the Sox trying to go out get some bargain basement slap hitters with speed.

russ99
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
This is really the issue. Because the Sox farm has basically collapsed in terms of providing anything for position players (Fields excepted), the only way to fix things quickly is via trade or FA. But the only guys you'd want to trade in a quick-fix mode are Jose, JD, and maybe Iguchi - and it doesn't seem like any will bring you much help in return.

That said, if JR's willing to raise the budget by ~$10M, I think there's a lot that they can do if they can just dump Jose's contract on someone. The rotation would make ~$36M (Buehrle, Garland, Javy, Danks, Gio/Floyd/Russell/Haeger/Masset/Sisco). Factor in Konerko-Thome-AJ-Fields and you'd have ~$26M for a total of $62M. If the Sox can pay out ~$110 (a $10M increase over their current cash outlay after factoring in money from Phils/DBacks), that would leave them ~$48M for an OF trio, SS, 2B, and 3 middle relief spots (2 going to Thornton & Logan). If one or both of of Sweeney/Anderson can be halfway decent, you'd have some room to add a star contract and some decent vets.

Thanks for all that number crunching.

I guess this means that if Jerry keeps the payroll the same, there's $38M available, and if Jerry decides to drop payroll to $85M (certainly possible) than they still have $23M left over with inexpensive Gonzalez/Terrero/Sweeney/Ozuna slipping into a spot or two. I'm not convinced Jerry will add $10M or stay the same, but then again MLB revenues are at an all-time high.

Regardless, looks like Kenny will have some cash to play with this offseason. :D:

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Let the rippage begin. I want Barry Bonds as our DH next year. I do not care about hs attitude with the media. I do not care about whether he took steroids or not. And I do not care if he told Ron Kittle he doesn't sign jerseys for white people. What I do care about is winning. You put him in Comiskey with a legitimate threat behind him he can hit 50 hrs again, bat .300 and walk 130 times. His knees shouldn't be a problem as he won't be playing the field anymore. Imagine what this will do for Paul Konerko? Look at Ray Durham since he began batting around Bonds. I love Thome however he can't stay healthy. Knees are tolerable, Thome's unfortunately are not. Also Barry can hit lefties. Use Thome in a trade. Maybe Oakland, Texas, Anaheim, Seattle, NYY, or Baltimore would be interested.

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't mind the Sox trying to go out get some bargain basement slap hitters with speed.
Grinderstad?
Luis Castillo at 5-6 million instead of Iguchi would look really nice.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Let the rippage begin. I want Barry Bonds as our DH next year. I do not care about hs attitude with the media. I do not care about whether he took steroids or not. And I do not care if he told Ron Kittle he doesn't sign jerseys for white people. What I do care about is winning. You put him in Comiskey with a legitimate threat behind him he can hit 50 hrs again, bat .300 and walk 130 times. His knees shouldn't be a problem as he won't be playing the field anymore. Imagine what this will do for Paul Konerko? Look at Ray Durham since he began batting around Bonds. I love Thome however he can't stay healthy. Knees are tolerable, Thome's unfortunately are not. Also Barry can hit lefties. Use Thome in a trade. Maybe Oakland, Texas, Anaheim, Seattle, NYY, or Baltimore would be interested.
White Rabbit.:bong:

esbrechtel
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I would love to see them trade for Jimmy Rollins at SS, and pay some money for a big name free agent in the OF, I think our Bullpen needs some experience and some "tweaking", call me crazy but if Thornton stays consistant and Boone Logan continues to pitch pretty well and gain some experience and we already have a closer. That leaves someone to replace Bukvich, Day, and Masset...that doesnt look TOO bad