PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-16

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
On this date...one of the funniest moments in White Sox history!

July 16, 1980- Bill Veeck’s ownership syndicate accepts offers to buy the White Sox. Harry Caray is one of those expressing interest along with millionaire Edward DeBartolo Sr. the man who 'invented' the modern day shopping mall in Boardman, Ohio.

July 16, 1990 - One of the funniest moments in Sox history as Sox utility player Steve "Psycho" Lyons makes a mistake that winds up on every highlight show in the nation. In the 5th inning at Detroit, Lyons bunts his way on, sliding the final few feet to beat the throw. He then calls time and completely blanks out as he starts to drop his pants to get the dirt out of them. Fortunately he was wearing sliding shorts. When he realized what he was doing he quickly yanked his pants back up while turning beet red in the process. After he was forced at second and ran back to the dugout, female fans in the first few rows behind the Sox bench began waving dollar bills at him!

http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a9/b5/3259_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEVE-LYONS-AUTOGRAPH-SIGNED-1988-FLEER-WHITE-SOX_W0QQitemZ150140983429QQihZ005QQcategoryZ73396Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing)

Lip

Railsplitter
07-15-2007, 05:56 PM
On this date...one of the funniest moments in White Sox history!

July 16, 1990 - One of the funniest moments in Sox history as Sox utility player Steve "Psycho" Lyons makes a mistake that winds up on every highlight show in the nation. In the 5th inning at Detroit, Lyons bunts his way on, sliding the final few feet to beat the throw. He then calls time and completely blanks out as he starts to drop his pants to get the dirt out of them. Fortunately he was wearing sliding shorts. When he realized what he was doing he quickly yanked his pants back up while turning beet red in the process. After he was forced at second and ran back to the dugout, female fans in the first few rows behind the Sox bench began waving dollar bills at him!

I believe than during Lyons' first plate appearance at home after the incident, Nancy Faust greeted him with "Bad Moon Rising"