PDA

View Full Version : Question about Darrin Jackson and Chris Singleton

Rockabilly
07-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I believe I read somewhere awhile back that Darrin contract will end this season and that the Score has option on Chris that they could not pick up does anyone know if this is true and if so..

Who would you like to see take over for Darrin and Chris

My votes are Steve Stone and Black Jack Mcdowell

DumpJerry
07-15-2007, 11:04 AM
I heard Singleton will be in his option year next year. I'm puzzled by your statement that The Score cannot pick it up, however. Why not?

You can forget McDowell, he won't take the job because of the travel-he has kids at home. I would love for Jack to get it, but he won't do it.

Stone would be a good one, so would Willis.

soxfan1983
07-15-2007, 11:17 AM
well i sure do hope that is true, i can't stand DJ. singleton is alright but he and farmer are not a good mix, they get into arguments way too much. i would enjoy listening to hawk and stone, growing up when i didnt have cable and watched baseball, unfortunately i watched a lot of cubs games, stoney was always fun to listen to. (watching the cubs on tv just created my dislike for the team, going to watch the sox in person created my love for the sox). anyway, we need to get rid of both DJ and Singleton.

better yet, bring back Wimpy and Rooney!

103 screwball
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
It would be a mistake not to bring DJ back. He should be the play by play guy when Hawk retires. DJ has become a fine announcer and he especially steps up when he's not working with Hawk.

Frontman
07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, in a perfect world, I would say have Hawk and Stone on TV, Rooney and Farmer on radio.

That being said, odds are that won't happen. I did enjoy Singelton and Stone for that opening day broadcast, as it was obvious that Stone has such a talent for calling a game, moreso than being an analyst.

As far as TV? Woo, boy. Don't know what they could do there.

Brian26
07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Stone would be a good one, so would Willis.

Dontrelle or Todd Bridges? :D:

:whocares
"Whatchyou talkin' bout?"

Steelrod
07-15-2007, 11:54 AM
well i sure do hope that is true, i can't stand DJ. singleton is alright but he and farmer are not a good mix, they get into arguments way too much. i would enjoy listening to hawk and stone, growing up when i didnt have cable and watched baseball, unfortunately i watched a lot of cubs games, stoney was always fun to listen to. (watching the cubs on tv just created my dislike for the team, going to watch the sox in person created my love for the sox). anyway, we need to get rid of both DJ and Singleton.

better yet, bring back Wimpy and Rooney!
Wimpy is unimployed, but I can't see him coming back anywhere near Hawk!

DumpJerry
07-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Dontrelle or Todd Bridges? :D:

:whocares
"Whatchyou talkin' bout?"
Bridges. He needs the work.

Brian26
07-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Why would he be re-hired when he was let go last time because of poor preparation? Wimpy is unemployed for a reason.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Brian:

The mistake with believing that 'myth' about lack of preparation is the fact that Wimpy was fired for it AFTER 11 YEARS on the job.

You don't wait 11 years before firing a guy for "lack of preparation"...that would have become clear after two years.

There was more to this 'story' then was revealed. And I know that from first hand accounts.

Regarding the broadcast situation. I like D.J. and you won't find a nicer, better person then him. I had the pleasure of shooting the breeze with him for about 20 minutes last May and his work has improved....but if the Sox could replace him they should because he has such a quiet voice and personality, that it gets overwhelmed by Hawk.

The radio side of things is a disaster, period. I've spoken with two former Sox broadcasters who listen to the games via satellite radio and they can't believe what they are hearing.

If you are looking for analysts right now, who could do a better job then Singleton, and provide more personality and opinions to the broadcast, you wouldn't have to look very far:

Steve Lyons
Ron Kittle
Tommy John

And every one of those three have media experience, Kittle the least.

Lip

soxinem1
07-15-2007, 01:37 PM
No way on Lyons. he is way to pro-player biased, and overall, an idiot.

I think Kittle and Tommy John would be great additions.

Dave Wills would be the best if you want a true, non-player, life-long White Sox fan.

kba
07-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I'd like to see at least one experienced professional broadcaster in each booth - a John Rooney or Vin Sculley-type announcer who understands pacing and articulation, can sound conversational, can seamlessly drop in all the required sponsor tags and promos, and can read copy without fumbling.

Ex-athletes are great for color, analysis, and anecdotes. But the Sox' reliance on four ex-players in the booth makes the broadcasts sound pretty rough ... especially when guys like DJ and Singleton are dropped into the booth with no broadcast experience and are asked to do play-by-play.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other major league team that ONLY has ex-players on its TV or radio teams.

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Ya know, I don't mind Singleton in the booth, I think that mixing him with Farmer is a bad idea though. If Singleton were to work with a guy like Pat Hughes, John Rooney or almost anyone else he would be very enjoyable to listen to...I don't mind DJ so much either, it is Hawk who I don't like (and that is really just because of his moves as GM!)...I'd love to see Steve Stone in any of our booths. And if that means letting go of Singleton or DJ, so be it. Stone is one of the best in the buisness.

Chisoxfn
07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Ya know, I don't mind Singleton in the booth, I think that mixing him with Farmer is a bad idea though. If Singleton were to work with a guy like Pat Hughes, John Rooney or almost anyone else he would be very enjoyable to listen to...I don't mind DJ so much either, it is Hawk who I don't like (and that is really just because of his moves as GM!)...I'd love to see Steve Stone in any of our booths. And if that means letting go of Singleton or DJ, so be it. Stone is one of the best in the buisness.
If It were up to me I'd dump Farmer and Hawk. God Hawk has gotten horrid...and I mean HORRID. He toes the company line way too much and makes way too many excuses for the team and its gotten so bad that it really takes away from the learning aspect of the game (something a great broadcaster and analyst can add to it).

It stinks to say that too cause Hawk and Wimpy taught me a whole lot when I was growing up as a kid listening to them but now it is time for a new voice of the White Sox (although I mind Hawk less when the Sox are doing good, but when they are bad he's horrid to listen to cause it is excuse city).

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2007, 05:07 PM
If It were up to me I'd dump Farmer and Hawk. God Hawk has gotten horrid...and I mean HORRID. He toes the company line way too much and makes way too many excuses for the team and its gotten so bad that it really takes away from the learning aspect of the game (something a great broadcaster and analyst can add to it).

It stinks to say that too cause Hawk and Wimpy taught me a whole lot when I was growing up as a kid listening to them but now it is time for a new voice of the White Sox (although I mind Hawk less when the Sox are doing good, but when they are bad he's horrid to listen to cause it is excuse city).
I can listen to just about anyone when the Sox are doing well.

WSox597
07-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Steve Stone would do a fine job, he knows the game and is a decent broadcaster. He played for the Sox, and of course the Cubs and Orioles.

And, to top it off, he speaks standard English, unlike Harrelson.

Pair him up with DJ and it would be much better than the current team.

I'm not sure what can be done with the radio team. It's too soon to call it on Singleton, and Farmer, is well, Farmer. What can I say about him, that hasn't been said before?

JB98
07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Hawk will stay as long as he wants, as most of you probably already know. He is the company man, and it's reflected in the broadcasts. I get tired of hearing his excuses during a losing season, but his crap is the soundtrack of summer around here, like it or not.

DJ has actually gotten much better. I thought he was brutal when he first started, but I really think he does a respectable job now.

I've never liked Farmio, although Rooney used to balance him out and make him tolerable. The combination of Farmer and Singleton is unlistenable.

I used to turn on the radio and turn down the sound on the TV when Rooney was here, partially because I thought John was great and partially because Hawk grates on me at times.

Now, I just suck it up and deal with Hawk.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Soxinem1:

I think Dave's contract was extended in Tampa, perhaps someone knows this for sure. I don't know if he has an 'out clause' in it, probably not (as least not to another MLB club) so he is probably out of the picture (unfortunately...)

Lip

UserNameBlank
07-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Hawk will stay as long as he wants, as most of you probably already know. He is the company man, and it's reflected in the broadcasts. I get tired of hearing his excuses during a losing season, but his crap is the soundtrack of summer around here, like it or not.

DJ has actually gotten much better. I thought he was brutal when he first started, but I really think he does a respectable job now.

I've never liked Farmio, although Rooney used to balance him out and make him tolerable. The combination of Farmer and Singleton is unlistenable.

I used to turn on the radio and turn down the sound on the TV when Rooney was here, partially because I thought John was great and partially because Hawk grates on me at times.

Now, I just suck it up and deal with Hawk.
I agree with all of this. Like Farmer, I think Hawk needs a Rooney to remind him that there is a baseball game going on in front of him, and as strange as it may sound, calling the game is more important that whatever golf stories he wants to tell.

Brian26
07-15-2007, 06:17 PM
There was more to this 'story' then was revealed. And I know that from first hand accounts.

You're probably right. I'd love to know about that someday.

The radio side of things is a disaster, period. I've spoken with two former Sox broadcasters who listen to the games via satellite radio and they can't believe what they are hearing.

It's awful. I can't even listen to the radio anymore, and I used to love listening to Rooney and Farmer.

Parrothead
07-15-2007, 06:36 PM
It would be a mistake not to bring DJ back. He should be the play by play guy when Hawk retires. DJ has become a fine announcer and he especially steps up when he's not working with Hawk.

No teal?:?:

Urban Legend
07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
kba - The Giants have former players Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow doing their games. they are informative, insightful, professional, funny, quirky. And they obviously enjoy each other's company. In short, everything Farmer and Singleton are not. I still remember the night Farmer started lambasting Bill Clinton (and this was pre-Monica Lewinsky); how unprofessional. He's too arrogant for me. Even John Rooney, though he had a great voice, got to me when he would do his impressions of announcers like the Astros' Milo Hamilton ad nauseum.

The Giants telecasts are a blast. For example, one game they focused on two little boys whose parents had bought them big plastic bats. Kuiper and Krukow commented in the first inning, 'It won't be long...' An inning or two later they showed the kids blasting each other. The next inning the parents were shown holding the bats and the little kids were slumping in their seats dejectedly.

They like to show girl friend-boy friend a lot, especially when the guy is making a fool of himself (like Seinfeld's David Putty face painter episode).
Kuip and Kruk make such funny comments, it's worth getting MLB Extra Innings just to watch the Giants games.

Check out: http://www.grabsomepinemeat.com/kruk_kuip.html

and http://www.knbr.com/giants/krukKuip.html

SOXandILLINI
07-15-2007, 07:14 PM
The answer to the original question for me at least, is just about anybody, and I'll take it from there. Both of them drive me up the wall.

chisoxfanatic
07-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm gonna probably go against the norm here; but, I absolutely hate Ed Farmer and wish he would go. He's a absolute prick! I don't see any problem with Hawk and DJ; but, how about a Robin Ventura/Steve Stone combination on the radio.

Tragg
07-15-2007, 07:32 PM
To me:
Jackson's a lot better than Wimpy was (what the hell is a fosh?).
Farmer's terrible
Never heard Singleton

The Astros TV guys, Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies, are very good. Professional, not too into themselves, laid back; try to have a good time.

I've heard Black Jack before- he's very good. Stone would be good, but I don't think he'd work well with Hawk.

SOXandILLINI
07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
To me:
Jackson's a lot better than Wimpy was (what the hell is a fosh?).
Farmer's terrible
Never heard Singleton

The Astros TV guys, Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies, are very good. Professional, not too into themselves, laid back; try to have a good time.

I've heard Black Jack before- he's very good. Stone would be good, but I don't think he'd work well with Hawk.

It's basically a change up that breaks... see Al Nipper... it is a baseball term.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Fanatic:

Ventura like McDowell have stated that with kids growing up in their house they have no desire to do a 162 game schedule plus spring training games.

Tragg:

'fosh' was the name of the type of pitch that Orioles pitcher Mike Boddicker threw, it was a cross between a forkball and a slider I believe.

Boddicker is the guy who set the LCS strike out record when he shut down the Sox in #2 of the 83 LCS.

Lip

soxfanreggie
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
If we can get better, I'd be all for it. Personally, I would love to see Steve Stone announcing for the Sox.

SOXandILLINI
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Fanatic:

Ventura like McDowell have stated that with kids growing up in their house they have no desire to do a 162 game schedule plus spring training games.

Tragg:

'fosh' was the name of the type of pitch that Orioles pitcher Mike Boddicker threw, it was a cross between a forkball and a slider I believe.

Boddicker is the guy who set the LCS strike out record when he shut down the Sox in #2 of the 83 LCS.

Lip

It is held like a fork ball, but you fingers are not quite as split, and off seems, so it dips and breaks, Clemens throws a fosh as well, so did Nolan Ryan late in his career.

JB98
07-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Fanatic:

Tragg:

Lip

Lip,

Do you think Black Jack will get back in baseball once his kids are out of the house? He certainly had a lot of insight when he broadcasted a few Sox games in Hawk's absence. I think he would make a good pitching coach. If he ever decides to get back in the game, I hope the Sox will offer him an opportunity in some capacity.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I think he would but I don't get the sense it would be as a coach (at least not at the minor league level.)

Broadcasting is in his future, he's worked for the Sox, for WFLD-TV covering the 05 post season and for the Mariners.

Lip

KingXerxes
07-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I would pay top dollar to listen to a broadcast with Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone. They would last about fifteen minutes with each other, and I suspect Stone would then leave the booth vowing never to return.

Maybe it would end up something like this (that's Stone in the Rangers uniform and Harrelson in the White Sox uniform)

:nolanventura

Johnny Mostil
07-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I would pay top dollar to listen to a broadcast with Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone. They would last about fifteen minutes with each other, and I suspect Stone would then leave the booth vowing never to return.

Maybe it would end up something like this (that's Stone in the Rangers uniform and Harrelson in the White Sox uniform)

:nolanventura

But who's reaching in from the right to restrain Harrelson (and why?)?

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 11:25 PM
It was Pudge Rodriguez in the photo that was restraining Robin pinning his arms.

Lip

Noneck
07-16-2007, 12:15 AM
It was Pudge Rodriguez in the photo that was restraining Robin pinning his arms.

Lip

Yes it was the powerful Iroids back then.

Johnny Mostil
07-16-2007, 07:37 AM

Lip

I meant metaphorically . . .

PhillipsBubba
07-16-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd prefer to see Mike North get the job.

I'm tired of our announcers being an extension of the marketing department.

itsnotrequired
07-16-2007, 12:42 PM

:tealpolice:

MeteorsSox4367
07-16-2007, 12:48 PM
[quote=PhillipsBubba;1635398]I'd prefer to see Mike North get the job.

[quote]

I'd rather become a Cubs fan.

champagne030
07-16-2007, 12:49 PM

I'm tired of hot dog vendors thinking they're qualified to be announcers.

wdelaney72
07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Brian:

The mistake with believing that 'myth' about lack of preparation is the fact that Wimpy was fired for it AFTER 11 YEARS on the job.

You don't wait 11 years before firing a guy for "lack of preparation"...that would have become clear after two years.

Regarding the broadcast situation. I like D.J. and you won't find a nicer, better person then him. I had the pleasure of shooting the breeze with him for about 20 minutes last May and his work has improved....but if the Sox could replace him they should because he has such a quiet voice and personality, that it gets overwhelmed by Hawk.

If you are looking for analysts right now, who could do a better job then Singleton, and provide more personality and opinions to the broadcast, you wouldn't have to look very far:

Steve Lyons
Ron Kittle
Tommy John

And every one of those three have media experience, Kittle the least.

Lip
As long as Ed Farmer is PBP, it doesn't matter who is there doing the color anaylsis. I wasn't crazy about Farmer as a color-analyst, but that's just because he has a grating-snarly voice. His actual analysis is fine. He has no business doing PBP. I'd be fine with a Wills PBP / Farmer Color booth.

Hawk and Stone in the booth together? There's no booth big enough.

I've enjoyed Hawk over the years, but it's time for him to hang it up.

jdm2662
07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Hawk needs to go, period. His act is beyond old, his whinning excuse making apologist ways is embarassing, I don't want to hear about golf during a Sox game, and I get it, Yaz is the best player you've ever played with. I probably won't watch another game the rest of the year. I can't stand him anymore.

DJ is decent, and does much better when he does Fox games. Think has anything to do not being aroudn Hawk? He did a decent job when McDowell was in the booth. I don't have a problem with him.

Singleton has gotten better, but he couldn't be any worse than he was last year. Farmer, um, yeah. It's really bad an MLB team two years removed from a World Series has annnoucing crews like this.

Lip Man 1
07-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Phillips:

When Mike North makes idiotic statements on Chicago Tribune Live! like "all the Sox needed to do was win one game the last week to take the pennant in 1967..." :rolleyes: I don't want him within 100 yards of the field, stadium, players or announcer's booth.

Lip

NorthSideSox72
07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Steve Stone and DJ would be pretty darn good, I think. Ideal, even.

Hawk is really just not a good announcer. He has his moments, but overall, he is just so much of a company-line guy that he's painful to listen to now. And it seems to me as he has aged, he has started to get a bit senile, starting late last year and even worse this year. He may be ready for retirement shortly.

DJ on the other hand has gotten much better, and I think he'd bloom without Hawk there. There really is no chemistry between them and Hawk dominates the air.

Stone is a great replacement for Hawk - both men have great baseball knowledge, but Stone would blend a lot better with DJ.

Put me on the Stone-replaces-Hawk bandwagon!

KingXerxes
07-16-2007, 04:18 PM
But who's reaching in from the right to restrain Harrelson (and why?)?

That would be Jimmy Angio, and he not trying to restrain Harrelson, he's trying to get a few kidney punches in.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Wimpy is the Peter Gammons of Fox Sports Radio. He shows up with JJ The Brick all the time.

Brian26
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the post, papi. :rolleyes:

Brian26
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm tired of hot dog vendors thinking they're qualified to be announcers.

Amen.

kitekrazy
07-16-2007, 11:43 PM

That's part of their job. When announcers stop doing that they are gone.

Mike North will never have a shot. I'd say after this year he has blacklisted himself from the Sox organization of ever entering a booth. He'd make Piersall look sane.

PhillipsBubba
07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Phillips:

When Mike North makes idiotic statements on Chicago Tribune Live! like "all the Sox needed to do was win one game the last week to take the pennant in 1967..." :rolleyes: I don't want him within 100 yards of the field, stadium, players or announcer's booth.

Lip

Dad-Gummitt...I'm just tired of the homer-ism:smile:

Frankfan4life
07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
I have no problem with DJ and Singleton. In fact, I like them both. I don't understand what the problem is. They're both former Sox players and they're loyal to the team. They do an adequate job as far as I'm concerned and I don't see a need to look for anyone else.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of the DJ/Singeton/Farmer/Hawk bashing. I've heard a lot worse.