PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Sox Players All-Time

chisoxfanatic
07-15-2007, 12:40 AM
As an effort to take away the attention from yet another bullpen disaster that was tonight's game, list your top five Sox players all-time. If there's a special reason a player is there, by all means share it!

I'll go first:

1. Robin Ventura - Selfless, constantly sacrificed his body to make plays, bat could always be counted on, total leader
2. Frank Thomas - One of the main reasons I am a Sox fan instead of a Cubs fan
3. Paul Konerko - Great leader, tries his best, a few of his moments in Oct. 2005 cemented his place here (WS Slam, HR to beat Boston in Game 3, HR in T1 in Anaheim)
4. Carlos Lee - Wasn't the greatest fielder; but, he sure carried a heavy bat. I also had a the biggest crush on the guy. The GS to beat the Cubs was a thing of beauty too!
5. Ray Durham - There's something about a perennial base stealer that amuses me

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Ozzie Guillen- I know, but I used to love him as a kid.
Mark Buehrle- I used to pronounce his name "Boo-eh-rulee" in my adolesence. Great pitcher, great guy.
Paul Konerko- Always loved the way he hit homers. Another great person on and off the field.
Frank Thomas- Nothing to say besides the fact that he was/is an amazing player that I've always idolized. Represented the Sox well through the years.
Billy Pierce- He signed a ball for me and instantly I thought he was one of the coolest players ever.

JB98
07-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Are we talking about who I think the five best players are, or who my five favorites are?

The five best:
1. Thomas
2. Baines
3. Fisk
4. McDowell
5. Konerko

My five favorites:
1. Ventura
2. Pierzynski
3. Konerko
4. Buehrle
5. Thomas

chisoxfanatic
07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Favorites

Noneck
07-15-2007, 01:07 AM
Thomas, Aparicio, Fox, Appling and Joe Jackson.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-15-2007, 01:09 AM
1. Thomas
2. Konerko
3. Buehrle
4. Ordonez
5. Ventura

BiggestFan14
07-15-2007, 01:15 AM
My favorites.

5 Hard to pick, but John Garland due to his latest great years. I like that determination throughout the years to be the pitcher he is now.
4 Frank Thomas - Can't leave off the best the wear the uniform. Great Hitter
3 Bo Jackson - Physical Freak, in short
2 Mark Buerhrle - Nothing else to say but great pitcher and awesome guy. And he signed a new contract finally.
1 Paul Konerko - Great leader, great hitter. My favorite Sox ever. Not to mention leading the Sox to a WS title.

Honorable mentions: Ozzie Guillen and Robin Ventura.

Brian26
07-15-2007, 01:30 AM
As an effort to take away the attention from yet another bullpen disaster that was tonight's game, list your top five Sox players all-time. If there's a special reason a player is there, by all means share it!

This is a tough question because I think it's easier to get swayed by the guys on the current team.

Here are my top five:

1. Ventura
2. Konerko
3. Buehrle
4. McDowell
5. Big Frank

CaptainPaul
07-15-2007, 01:38 AM
5) Robin Ventura - Seemed like money every game you needed him.
4) Wilson Alvarez - 'nuff said
3) Mark Buehrle - to quote Richard Roeper: "Mark Buehrle pitches as if he's not sure if he left the oven, the iron, and the stove on, and he needs to get home as fast as possible"
2) Frank Thomas - The current biggest name in modern White Sox lore.
1) Paul Konerko - The captain. Slowly replacing Frank Thomas as "Mr. White Sox"

Tragg
07-15-2007, 01:42 AM
1. Dick Allen (best offensive season ever)
2. Frank Thomas
3. Mark Buehrle
4. LaMarr Hoyt (2 great seasons)
5. Bucky Dent (not an impact player; I just liked him; only SS we developed in my 40 years as a Sox fan, as best I can recall).

sodfatherjunior
07-15-2007, 01:43 AM
5 Greatest:
1. Frank Thomas- self explanatory I would hope
2. Shoeless Joe Jackson- banned from baseball or not, he was still awesome w/the White Sox, surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet.
3. Luis Aparicio- The original venezuelan shortstop, sumpin that Sox have a mild history of having.
4. Billy Pierce- Had to throw a pitcher in there somewhere
5. Harold Baines- Just because

5 Favorites: (real tough choices, like choosing your favorite kid, which i have none of but i hear that it just doesn't happen)

1. Robin Ventura- Favorite player growing up as a kid, saw him hit a walk off slam at about age 8 against the Rangers
2. Joe Crede- Reminded me a bunch of Robin Ventura, even in the early years, loved him every since then.
3. Frank Thomas- Simply put, he was the man.
4. Minnie Minoso- Every Sox game I seemed to be at he was there, whether he was attempting to play or giving away autographs.
5. Harold Baines- one word: "Haaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrooooooooooold"
6. John Kruk- Retired in a Sox uniform

lostfan
07-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Well you can really tell who among us are older than their mid-late 20s :D:

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-15-2007, 03:06 AM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Mark Buehrle
3. Billy Pierce
4. Nellie Fox
5. Luis Aparicio

BV2005
07-15-2007, 03:12 AM
1. Robin Ventura
2. Paul Konerko
3. Mark Buehrle
4. Frank Thomas
5. Joe Crede
6. AJ Pierzynski
7. Aaron Rowand

sorry couldn't pick just 5

PKalltheway
07-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Frank Thomas
Ted Lyons
Harold Baines
Luke Appling
Billy PierceOther than Frank Thomas at number 1, the other people can be in any order.

Others worthy of consideration include:
Paul Konerko, Mark Buehrle, Minnie Minoso, Robin Ventura, Wilbur Wood, Ray Schalk, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Ed Walsh, Carlton Fisk, Nellie Fox. Honestly, any of these guys could be included in anybody's top five.

Frankfan4life
07-15-2007, 03:24 AM
Frank Thomas (who woulda thunk it!)
Harold Baines (Haarold, Haarold)
Carlton Fisk (played the game the way it should be played)
Paul Konerko (power, defense, class)
Walter "No neck" Williams (made me laugh)
6. A.J. (pure entertainment)
7. Ozzie (fun)

Grzegorz
07-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Baseball players; in no particular order...

Louie Aparicio
Nellie Fox
Luke Appling
Joe Jackson
Ted Lyons

sox1970
07-15-2007, 07:37 AM
1. Mark Buehrle
2. Ozzie Guillen
3. Carlton Fisk
4. Robin Ventura
5. Paul Konerko

eastchicagosoxfan
07-15-2007, 08:04 AM
In no particular order:

Luke Appling
Apparicio
Ron Kittle
Robin Ventura
Lamarr Hoyt

LITTLE NELL
07-15-2007, 08:07 AM
You are right on the money except in this order; Thomas, Jackson, Appling Fox, Aparicio. 5 best pitchers; Lyons, Faber, Pierce, Wood, Buerhle. Honorable mention; Horlen and Peters. Best Managers; Lopez, Dykes and Larussa. Fisk would have made it but Im mad at him for wearing a Red Sox cap In the HOF.

The Racehorse
07-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Hurt
Nyls Nyman
Jorge Orta
Buehrle
Konerko

HomerCoach
07-15-2007, 08:23 AM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Mark Buehrle
3. Bo Jackson
4. Jack McDowell
5. Robin Ventura

Procol Harum
07-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Pitchers and position players kinda the apples and oranges thing--therefore:

Top 5 Position players:

1.) Frank Thomas
2.) Luke Appling
3.) Eddie Collins
4.) Carlton Fisk
5.) Nellie Fox

(6-10: Joe Jackson, Dick Allen, Luis Aparicio, Harold Baines, Minnie Minoso).
(11-15: Robin Ventura, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez, Ray Schalk, Ozzie Guillen).

Top 5 Pitchers:

1.) Billy Pierce
2.) Ed Walsh
3.) Doc White
4.) Red Faber
5.) Ted Lyons

(6-10: Eddie Cicotte, Wilbur Wood, Jack McDowell, Hoyt Wilhelm, Gary Peters)
(11-15: Tommy John, Joe Horlen, Mark Buehrle, Early Wynn [higher on an Indians' list!], LaMarr Hoyt).

Rockabilly
07-15-2007, 10:24 AM
My fav Sox players are

Mark Buehrle
Jack McDowell
Carlton Fisk
Frank Thomas
Harold Baines

Honorable Mention
Ozzie Guillen
Robin Ventura
Bucky Dent

Ragator43
07-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Favorites:
1. Frank Thomas
2. Carlton Fisk
3. Mark Buehrle
4. Robin Ventura
5. Jack McDowell

3) Mark Buehrle - to quote Richard Roeper: "Mark Buehrle pitches as if he's not sure if he left the oven, the iron, and the stove on, and he needs to get home as fast as possible""

Roeper's quote about Buehrle is hilarious and true, but if you keep going it gets better, "The players and the fans love it. The South Side beer vendors hate it. When Buehrle's starting, they know they might have less than two hours to make their cash."

I don't think it can get any better (or any worse for the beer vendors) than his start on Opening Day 2005. Total game time: 1 hour 40 minutes. Sales were cut off after an hour and fifteen minutes or so.....

SOXfnNlansing
07-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Big Frank... you stopped what you were doing to watch him bat
Black Jack....... was a great competitor and dominated games
Terry Forster... my mom put his newspaper iron-on on my shirt
Harold.............he was the best player when I was growing up
Bo.................he was a shot in the arm our franchise needed

SportsPg
07-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Great topic - my five are:

1. Harold Baines - The quiet assassin - he was so money...
2. Chet Lemon - One of the main reasons I am a Sox fan is Chet Lemon and the '77 South Side Hitmen
3. Frank Thomas - Nobody has ever hit like Frank did for the first 7-8 seasons. He was so big and yet had the perfect baseball batting eye.
4. Paul Konerko - What else can you say - Paulie is the man, Sox don't win the WS without him.
5. Mark Buerhle - Best homegrown pitcher for the Sox since Jack McDowell - I am glad he resigned no matter what happens this year

Bucky F. Dent
07-15-2007, 01:03 PM

THAT is the list!

oldcomiskey
07-15-2007, 04:53 PM
that cant be the list becaise Dick Allen aint on it

1. Dick Allen
2. Carlton Fisk
3. Frank Thomas
4. Wilbur Wood
5. Luis Apericio

wassagstdu
07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Buehrle
Garland
Contreras
Garcia
Jenks

JB98
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
I posted my favorites earlier, but I just want to point out that this is a great thread. There are no wrong answers, and people have mentioned many of the great players the Sox have had through the years.

This thread is a nice change of pace from the others, where we are all cranky and annoyed and arguing about different things.

IceczMan
07-15-2007, 06:02 PM
1. Nellie Fox
2. Frank Thomas
3. Mark Buehrle
4. Bo Jackson
5. Lance Johnson

Brian26
07-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I posted my favorites earlier, but I just want to point out that this is a great thread. There are no wrong answers, and people have mentioned many of the great players the Sox have had through the years.

This thread is a nice change of pace from the others, where we are all cranky and annoyed and arguing about different things.

Absolutely, there are no wrong answers, although someone made a comment about knowing who here is in their mid to late 20's, which is a bit unfair.

Quite frankly, there was a 10-15 yr period from the mid 70s to about 1990 when the Sox weren't exactly producing great players. Fisk and Baines, along with Chet Lemon, were great. The longevity of likable, franchise players during that time wasn't very great though. Ron Kittle could have been that type of player, but he only had one great year and was traded to the Yankees in three years after he came up. Even the guys like Melton and Dick Allen in the early 70s only had two or three years of great success.

The 90's and 2000's have produced a nice string of players with successful, long careers, and that says a lot about the organization.

JB98
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Absolutely, there are no wrong answers, although someone made a comment about knowing who here is in their mid to late 20's, which is a bit unfair.

Quite frankly, there was a 10-15 yr period from the mid 70s to about 1990 when the Sox weren't exactly producing great players. Fisk and Baines, along with Chet Lemon, were great. The longevity of likable, franchise players during that time wasn't very great though. Ron Kittle could have been that type of player, but he only had one great year and was traded to the Yankees in three years after he came up. Even the guys like Melton and Dick Allen in the early 70s only had two or three years of great success.

The 90's and 2000's have produced a nice string of players with successful, long careers, and that says a lot about the organization.

I'm 31. I went to my first game at Comiskey as a 5-year-old in 1981. My first vivid recollections were of the 1983 team. When I think of my favorite players from my early childhood, I think of Baines, Kittle and Fisk.

For whatever reason, the group that came out of nowhere in 1990 and won 94 games really solidified my love for the White Sox. Ventura was a rookie. McDowell really hit his stride the second half of that season. Thomas and Fernandez broke into the big leagues. If I were to make a top 10, instead of just a top five, I think I would include Alex and Black Jack, and Thiggy as well.

I still have a lot of good feelings about that early 90s group, just as I do for the 2005 guys. For whatever reasons, I prefer the guys from those two eras, as opposed to those who I remember watching at the old park as a child.

CLR01
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Optimus Grind
Pods
0ribe
Rowand
Joe Davenport

Brian26
07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm 31. I went to my first game at Comiskey as a 5-year-old in 1981. My first vivid recollections were of the 1983 team. When I think of my favorite players from my early childhood, I think of Baines, Kittle and Fisk.

For whatever reason, the group that came out of nowhere in 1990 and won 94 games really solidified my love for the White Sox. Ventura was a rookie. McDowell really hit his stride the second half of that season. Thomas and Fernandez broke into the big leagues. If I were to make a top 10, instead of just a top five, I think I would include Alex and Black Jack, and Thiggy as well.

I still have a lot of good feelings about that early 90s group, just as I do for the 2005 guys. For whatever reasons, I prefer the guys from those two eras, as opposed to those who I remember watching at the old park as a child.

Yep, its fascinating to try to figure out why we feel this way. I'm not sure if Fisk wasn't as fan friendly as a lot of the other guys (that probably has a lot to do with it), or if his association with Boston has soured our feelings on him. As for Baines, I wonder if his time with so many other teams (Texas, Oakland, Baltimore, Cleveland) sort of tainted his legend slightly on the south side. As for Kittle, I think it has a lot to do with him really only having one monster year. Outside of Chicago, he's considered nothing more than a Rob Deer or Steve Balboni type.

JB98
07-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Yep, its fascinating to try to figure out why we feel this way. I'm not sure if Fisk wasn't as fan friendly as a lot of the other guys (that probably has a lot to do with it), or if his association with Boston has soured our feelings on him. As for Baines, I wonder if his time with so many other teams (Texas, Oakland, Baltimore, Cleveland) sort of tainted his legend slightly on the south side. As for Kittle, I think it has a lot to do with him really only having one monster year. Outside of Chicago, he's considered nothing more than a Rob Deer or Steve Balboni type.

Especially as a child, I think you get drawn to the big HR hitters. That's why I liked Kittle. Every time he came to the plate, I knew there was a chance he might send one on the roof. When you're 8 years old, it doesn't matter so much that the guy hit .240 and struck out too much. You just wanted to see that long home run.

I have one friend who would probably put Fisk right at the top of his list of all-time favorites. I'm pretty damn certain my sister would list Baines. That's why I think this is a great thread. There isn't necessarily a consensus, but everyone is perfectly justified in whatever answer they give.

Railsplitter
07-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Red Faber
Luis Aparicio
Nellie Fox
Billy Pierce
Frank Thomas

chisoxfanatic
07-15-2007, 06:59 PM
If I were to make a top 10, instead of just a top five, I think I would include Alex and Black Jack, and Thiggy as well.

If I were to do that, I think I would've included Black Jack as well as Wilson Alvarez (it was nice watching games and knowing that they'd have a chance to win with those two on the hill). I also had a soft spot in my heart for Karko...I don't know why!

TommyJohn
07-15-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm glad that there is a distinction here with top five favorites, as opposed to
all-time greats. It is rather hard to pick just five, so I'll limit my choices to
players I saw play, so as to eliminate guys like Fox and Aparicio, who were
before my time.

1. Dick Allen
2. Frank Thomas
3. Harold Baines
4. Robin Ventura
5. Richie Zisk

You know, in the late 70's my favorite Sox player was Claudell Washington.
Don't know why. Guess I thought back then that he was a great hustle guy.
I was a kid.

soxinem1
07-15-2007, 07:43 PM
This seems to be more of a popularity contest, as there is barely any mention of past generations. So I pick:

1. Ed Walsh. Love those CG, IP, W, and ERA totals. Tough call over Billy Pierce.
2. The Big Hurt. Enough said.
3. Luke Appling. Tough call over Harold Baines, but he spent his whole career with the team.
4. Robin Ventura. Best offensive, defensive, and longest tenured of any 3B like that in team history.
5. Luis Aparicio. No offense to Ozzie, but Looie had more GG, SB, and especially for his generation, was a better offensive force.

Others: Fisk, Buerhle, Harold, Pierce, Peters, John, and a score of others.

SOXandILLINI
07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Thomas
Allen
Aparicio
Baines
Joe Jackson

Pitchers

Pierce
Horlen
Black Jack
Peters
Big Ed Walsh

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
This thread reminds me of the Cingular commercials advertising the fave 5.

KingXerxes
07-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Swede Risberg
Hap Felsch
Chick Gandil
Lefty Williams
Fred McMullin

Just kidding.

Joe Jackson
Ed Walsh
Billy Pierce
Dick Allen
Frank Thomas

Honorable mention to:

Tommy John
Joe Horlen
Wilbur Wood
Duane Josephson (kidding again)
Bill Melton
Jack McDowell
Nellie Fox
Early Wynn
Cy Acosta (kidding yet again)

And a host of others.

SOXandILLINI
07-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Swede Risberg
Hap Felsch
Chuck Gandil
Lefty Williams
Fred McMullin

Just kidding.

Joe Jackson
Ed Walsh
Billy Pierce
Dick Allen
Frank Thomas

Honorable mention to:

Tommy John
Joe Horlen
Wilbur Wood
Duane Josephson (kidding again)
Bill Melton
Jack McDowell
Nellie Fox
Early Wynn
Cy Acosta (kidding yet again)

And a host of others.

That's hilarious, i was gonna put Cy Acosta too, and I think it's Chick Gandil, not 100% sure.

KingXerxes
07-15-2007, 09:38 PM
That's hilarious, i was gonna put Cy Acosta too, and I think it's Chick Gandil, not 100% sure.

I believe you are correct. I just fixed it.

Thanks

Urban Legend
07-15-2007, 11:13 PM
I think Lostfan is correct that the average poster is mid twenties or less by the answers they give. I'd guess that the mode (remember mean, median, and mode - mode is the one that appears most often) is about nineteen.
Not that there's anything wrong with it!

Maybe we should list threads according to age groups.

My favorites:

Bobby Thigpen
Jim Landis
Robin Ventura
Carlton Fisk
Joel Horlen

Honorable Mention:
Richie Zisk
Turk Lown
Gerry Staley
Less Moss
Don Pall
Jack McDowell
Ron Karkovice
Dick Donovan
Harold
Dewey
Alan Bannister
Oscar
Barry Jones (Can you have Thigpen without Jones?)
Jack Brohamer
James Baldwin

And you can't forget...Ma McCuddy

An older woman usher at the Sox games in the 80s told me that Bobby Thigpen was the greatest guy...that although he was a diabetic (that's what she said), and didn't drink, would go with the Sox players to a nearby bar (Jimbo's?) and would always buy and be the life of the party.
Nellie Fox

I still have my 'Rock and Sock' t-shirt...Thomas and Raines...liked them a lot, too, as well as Ozzie

Urban Legend
07-15-2007, 11:22 PM
ICEcz is right...You can't forget 1 Dog - Lance Johnson.

And Ron Hansen.

monkeypants
07-16-2007, 01:32 AM
1. Harold Baines
2. Mark Buehrle
3. Frank Thomas
4. Jack McDowell
5. Ivan Calderon (yes really)

DickAllen72
07-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Dick Allen
Luis Aparicio
Wilbur Wood
A.J. Pierzynski
Carl Everett

Cuck the Fubs
07-16-2007, 01:48 AM
1. Thomas
2. Ventura
3. Fisk
4. Baines
5. Konerko
6. Buehrle
7. Crede
8. Rowand
9. Zisk
10. Bucky Dent

Britt Burns
07-16-2007, 01:52 AM
My faves:

1. Frank. Enough said.
2. Robin. Loved his swing, his awesome d, loved how he had the guts to charge Ryan when no one else did (even if the result didn't work out), and loved his attitude and how he approached the game.
3. Britt Burns (hence my WSI handle). I was a lefty pitcher when he was with the Sox, and tried to emulate him. A great pitcher and a great guy.
4. Ron Kittle. Yes, after his rookie year his career was so-so at best, but he had a great sense of humor, loved being with the Sox, and when he did get a hold of one--watch out.
5. Buehrle. Watching him toy with batters who can't figure out how a guy who rarely cracks 90mph can consistently get them out is pure fun. A great player, teammate, and representative for the Sox organization.

My least favorite, without comment:
1. jaime Navarro
2. Belle
3. David Wells
4. Parque
5. Jaime Navarro, again.

sweetjpo
07-16-2007, 02:04 AM
1. Mike Caruso
2. Brooke Fordyce
3. Jef Liefer
4. Jorge Fabergas
5. Jim Parque

Honorable Mentions: Mike Sirotka, Ron Karkovice, Herbert Perry, and Lyle Mouton

What do you guys think?

It's Dankerific
07-16-2007, 03:34 AM
1. Ron Kittle. 7 on the roof should be enough for anyone
2. Robin Ventura. He had the most horrific leg injury i ever saw.. and played that year. Not to mention the man was AUTOMATIC with the bases loaded.
3. Joe Crede. The REAL MVP of the '05 World Series.
4. Jack McDowell. Black Jack, What a splitter!
5. Aaron Rowand. Crashes into walls. For Fun and for the team.

soxrme
07-16-2007, 10:30 AM
1 Nellie Fox
2 Luis Aparicio
3 Dick Allen
4 Billy Pierce
5 Frank Thomas

Also Harold Baines, Robin Ventura, Joe Crede

chisox77
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Five Greatest:

1. Frank Thomas
2. Shoeless Joe Jackson
3. Luke Appling
4. Louis Apiricio
5. Dick Allen

Five Most Favorite:

1. Frank Thomas
2. Eric Soderholm
3. Robin Ventura
4. Greg Walker
5. Harold Baines

Honorable Mention Greatest And Favorites:

1. Jack McDowell
2. Joe Crede
3. Aaron Rowand
4. Mark Buerhle
5. Jim Morrison

:cool:

Noneck
07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
My favs,

Walter Williams, Richie Allen, Bart Johnson, Bee Bee Richards, Wilbur Wood.

soxfanatlanta
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Baines
Thomas
Britt Burns
Fisk
Lemon

RCWHITESOX
07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Top 5 Aparicio, Fox, Appling, Thomas, & Lyons My favorites Aparicio, Fox, Pierce, Horlen, P Ward, Melton, Peters, Wood, Landis, Buehrle, Donovan, Minoso, Buzhardt & H Score

MeteorsSox4367
07-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Top five in no particular order:

1. Pierzynski
2. Buehrle
3. Ed Herrmann
4. Kittle
5. Walker

Honorable mention: Ventura, Tom Egan, Burns, Dotson, Fisk.

BringBackBlkJack
07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
My favorites:

Frank Thomas
Carlton Fisk
Ozzie Guillen
Jack McDowell
Mark Buehrle

Honorable Mention:
Harold Baines
Lance Johnson
Joey Cora

Most Hated:
Sammy Sosa
Albert Belle
David Wells
Bartolo Colon
Magglio Ordonez

IronFisk
07-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Hmmmm...

Fisk
Thomas
Hoyt
Konerko
Crede

Grzegorz
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
"list your top five Sox players all-time"...

Is this poll tracking who we consider the best or are we to list our favorites?

FedEx227
07-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Top 5
1. Frank Thomas
2. Nellie Fox
3. Luis Aparicio
4. Jon Garland
5. Joe Crede

palehozenychicty
07-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Frank Thomas
Harold Baines
Paul Konerko
Robin Ventura
Tim Raines

billcissell
07-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I limited my selections to guys I've seen play. My favorites:

5. Ken Berry - "The Bandit" patrolling center, and a decent hitter
4. Dick Allen - carried the team on his broad shoulders for a few years, saved the franchise from oblivion
3. Luis Aparicio - HOF gold glover, base stealer extraordinaire
2. Gary Peters - '63 rookie of the year, outstanding southpaw
1. Carlton Fisk - talented backstop added class, dignity to a franchise that needed it

Honorable mention - Sox players who I really liked:

Fox, Pierzynski, Buehrle, Horlen, Ward, McCraw, Wood, Wilhelm, Cunningham, Melton, Bannister, Pierce, Floyd Robinson, J.C. Martin

miker
07-16-2007, 04:50 PM
My Top 5, off the top of my head, in historic order:

1. Shoeless Joe Jackson, OF - had he not gotten the original "Scooter Libby" treatment, the Sox would of had a HOF hitter throughout the 20s...then again, Comiskey still would have been a cheapwad.

2. Luke Appling, SS-1B - had he been with a more successful franchise, maybe more people would have known and appreciated him. Special consideration to Ted Lyons, P for the same reasons.

3. Nellie Fox, 2B/Luis Aparicio, SS - okay, I cheated by combining these two, but when combined with good pitching, speed, defense, sacrificing and taking the ball the other way wins games...and that's how these two did it!

4. Carlton Fisk, C - only spent half his career with the White Sox, but an undeniable presence on the field and in the clubhouse. His signing marked the start of a new era. His departure...well, hopefully that never happens again.

5. Big Frank Thomas, 1B - media issues, defense and injuries notwithstanding, the best right handed hitter I've seen in person.

That's my five...what do I win?

soxfan1983
07-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Current:
Paul Konerko
Mark Buehrle
A.J. Pierzynski
Bobby Jenks
Rob Mackowiak - yes im serious haha. i liked him when he was on the pirates

Past:
Frank Thomas
Carlton Fisk
Carlos Lee
Shoeless Joe Jackson
BlackJack McDowell
Robin Ventura
Aaron Rowand
Wilson Alvarez
Bo Jackson

ALL TIME
Konerko
Thomas
Joe Jackson
BlackJack
Jenks

Nick Circelli
07-17-2007, 05:58 PM
There is clearly not enought support for ONE DOG. I might be smoking right now, but he is the greatest centerfielder to be in a White Sox uniform.

Mr.1Dog
07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
1. Frank Thomas
2. One Dog
3. Robin Ventura
4. Paulie
5. Ray Ray

Honorable mention to Jose Valentin, Carlos Lee, Harold Baines, Ozzie, Fisk and Bo Jackson.

thomas35forever
07-17-2007, 06:26 PM
1. Frank Thomas
2. Mark Buehrle
3. Paul Konerko
4. Keith Foulke
5. Carlos Lee

BeviBall!
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
1. Hal Baines
2. Robin Ventura
3. Dave Gallagher