PDA

View Full Version : The Answer: December 2012

Bill Naharodny
07-14-2007, 04:56 PM
The Question:

What is the date when Major League Baseball will make Derrek Lee serve his suspension for punching Chris Young?

DumpJerry
07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
:?:
Umm.....suspensions are served in the season they are handed down unless the incident occurred on the last game of the season.

Why are you so concerned?

Bill Naharodny
07-14-2007, 05:01 PM
:?:
Umm.....suspensions are served in the season they are handed down unless the incident occurred on the last game of the season.

Why are you so concerned?

Yeah, I'm generally familiar with when suspensions are served. Guess it should have been in superteal. I just think it's strange that the incident was a month ago, that he appealed, and that nothing's been done since then. Bizarre.

Mark me "Flubsessed." Move along.

TDog
07-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I'm generally familiar with when suspensions are served. Guess it should have been in superteal. I just think it's strange that the incident was a month ago, that he appealed, and that nothing's been done since then. Bizarre.

Teal or no, I understood it as a joke, a totally non-sequitur question for an answer, exagerated for purposes of humor to make a point. It's along the lines of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs being the answer with the queston being a team (fill in the blank) could beat.

Bill Naharodny
07-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Teal or no, I understood it as a joke, a totally non-sequitur question for an answer, exagerated for purposes of humor to make a point. It's along the lines of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs being the answer with the queston being a team (fill in the blank) could beat.

Indeed!

Embellishment!

getonbckthr
07-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Lee's hearing for the appeal won't be until they are in New York I believe.

Bill Naharodny
07-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Lee's hearing for the appeal won't be until they are in New York I believe.

Hadn't seen that. Point is, that Lee's crucial for them. Ramirez has been driving their offensive play, and his production takes a dive when Lee's not around (because, I guess, Ramirez is a total and complete dog, who loafed his way out of Pittsburgh and was totally unreliable when Lee was hurt last year. But I needlessly digress.)

cws05champ
07-14-2007, 05:43 PM
The MLB suspension and appeal system is so antequated. With technology today in video conferencing, the case should be heard within a few days, and decided upon. The player should not get to choose when it best suits him or his team to serve the suspension....which is basically what it comes down to right now.

lostfan
07-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Well, the NFL seems to take a while to hand down suspensions too. Remember Ricky Manning? Suspension came at a pretty inopportune time too... the Bears could've really used him against the Pats. No matter though as that was one of the infamous games Bad Rex showed up to.

DumpJerry
07-14-2007, 06:03 PM
The longer they wait to rule, the more it hurts the Cubs because they will lose him during the stretch run and not in June.

Way to be a team guy, Lee!

soxfan13
07-14-2007, 06:15 PM
The longer they wait to rule, the more it hurts the Cubs because they will lose him during the stretch run and not in June.

Way to be a team guy, Lee!

If the appeal goes well and he gets it reduced a game or 2 isnt that helping the team also?

DumpJerry
07-15-2007, 01:51 AM
If the appeal goes well and he gets it reduced a game or 2 isnt that helping the team also?
It could. However, I'm guessing they will knock off only one or two games (I forgot how many he got). Nonetheless, any games he misses will hurt them.

HotelWhiteSox
07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
They already went to NY this year, that's dumb to have to wait for that too

soxwon
07-15-2007, 12:41 PM

a few years back Kerry Wood was suspended for some incident it was in april.
He served the suspension in mid june.
This is crap to me, it should be you get suspended you, start serving the next series. Like in the NBA.
MLB has no guts to do this though.
Derk lee should have served that suspension during our series at the Cell.

Chez
07-15-2007, 12:44 PM
The whole appeals process is screwed up and allows players and teams to manipulate the system. If a player wants to appeal a suspension, that player should have to get on an airplane to New York within 2 days of the date when the suspension is announced for a hearing. Or someone from MLB's office should get on an airplane in the same time frame and fly to the "suspended" player's location for the hearing. If the player loses his appeal, tack on another 2 (or 3 or 5) games to the suspension.

When I replace Bud Selig, this will be my first official act. :D:

chaerulez
07-15-2007, 03:17 PM
If anyone has the problem with the appeal process in MLB it's something you take up with the league and the MLBPA as it's an agreed part of their CBA.

dakuda
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Lee dropped the appeal. He starts serving the 5 game suspension today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7036162

"I was probably going to play today, but rather than limp through a couple of games, I got to serve it some time," Lee said. "Serve it now. I guess we looked at Arizona and they didn't have as many lefties, so Daryle can face the right-handers. It was a smart move."

I am not going to get into how nice it must be to basically choose when it is convenient for the player to serve suspension. If you read the article, Lee says that it is unfair that Young also only had a five game suspension, since that does not have the same impact on a pitcher. He thinks the MLB needs to look into that. :unsure:

mjmcend
07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Lee dropped the appeal. He starts serving the 5 game suspension today.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7036162

I am not going to get into how nice it must be to basically choose when it is convenient for the player to serve suspension. If you read the article, Lee says that it is unfair that Young also only had a five game suspension, since that does not have the same impact on a pitcher. He thinks the MLB needs to look into that. :unsure:

Lee ain't very good at math.

5 games for a starting pitcher = 1 start lost. 1 start / 33 total starts for a SP = 3% of season.

5 games for a position player / 162 games = 3%