PDA

View Full Version : Amazingly bad Bruce Froemming call

Huisj
07-13-2007, 12:01 AM
I've been watching some of the Tigers-Mariners game just now, and I can't believe the terrible calls Bruce Froemming just made.

Seattle had the bases loaded, and Beltre got a base hit to right. Two runs scored easily, and on Ordonez' throw home, Beltre tried to advance to second. The Tigers' catcher threw kind of wild to Guillen at second, and Beltre made a crazy slide where he avoided the tag and reached his hand to the base, but then he kept going and slid way off the base. Guillen reached over and tagged him, but Beltre got up and started running to third, so Guillen tagged him again, then chased him a few steps and tagged his arm again, but Froemming never called him out because he didn't think he was tagged. The third runner scored while all this was happening. When the next batter came up, the Tigers appealed and threw to second, and Froemming called Beltre out saying he never touched second.

Replays showed that Beltre's hand clearly touched second base on his slide (it shouldn't even have been a question), and they also showed the Guillen tagged him three times after he overslid the bag, but Froemming got all of that wrong, and it cost Detroit a run, because the tag would have been out number three and the third runner hadn't crossed the plate.

Incredibly bad. I think it's time for that guy to retire already. sheesh.

JGarlandrules20
07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
That sounds pretty bad.

I stil remember that crazy Oakland series with his crew in '05. He couldn't be retiring any sooner...

ma-gaga
07-13-2007, 12:22 AM
The ESPN replay showed him safe each time, the "tags" coming up short. The angle was from the third base camera POV. It's pretty clear that he whiffed. He sold it though, he jerks like he hits something with his mitt.

But I only saw the second 2 tags, so he might have been nailed on the original throw. ... I guess you could maybe say that Beltre ran out of the baseline, but that's about all I could see.

:gulp:

thedudeabides
07-13-2007, 12:26 AM
The ESPN replay showed him safe each time, the "tags" coming up short. The angle was from the third base camera POV. It's pretty clear that he whiffed. He sold it though, he jerks like he hits something with his mitt.

But I only saw the second 2 tags, so he might have been nailed on the original throw. ... I guess you could maybe say that Beltre ran out of the baseline, but that's about all I could see.

I was watching the Seattle feed and it looked like all tags were missed, although Beltre definitely tagged the base.

Anyway, the announcers said this is his last trip to Seattle because he is retiring, so we won't have to worry about him anymore.

Huisj
07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
On the angle on the Tigers feed from third base, it was tough to tell and they all looked pretty light, but on the angle looking in from the outfield, it seemed pretty clear that he got tagged on the shirt pretty well on the first one and that he got it on the arm on the third one. At least that's what I thought. I haven't seen the replay again since it happened though.

goofymsfan
07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
I was at the game and it was pretty crazy watching it all unfold. I haven't had a chance to see the replays and only have the radio announcers to go by and they were saying that Carlos might have gotten the third tag on him but it was hard to tell.

Adrian clearly tagged the bag and Froemming kept signalling safe safe safe with his arms. From my vantage point, it was hard to see if Carlos got the tags down or not. But the confusion came after the umpires congregated and the Tigers threw to second and Adrian was called out after he was clearly called safe previously.

SBSoxFan
07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
I was at the game and it was pretty crazy watching it all unfold. I haven't had a chance to see the replays and only have the radio announcers to go by and they were saying that Carlos might have gotten the third tag on him but it was hard to tell.

Adrian clearly tagged the bag and Froemming kept signalling safe safe safe with his arms. From my vantage point, it was hard to see if Carlos got the tags down or not. But the confusion came after the umpires congregated and the Tigers threw to second and Adrian was called out after he was clearly called safe previously.

I just watched the clip, and it was pretty obvious that Beltre touched the base on the original slide. It's less clear whether Guillen ever touched him.

What else I noticed is that Mags made a pretty poor throw to home, or they have a play there, and that the catcher dropped the ball on his first attempt to throw to second. If he makes a clean transfer, Beltre is likely out by a lot.

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Memo to MLB: Please don't let this pig ump in the World Series just because he's retiring. The guy can't hack it anymore. He can't even bend his knees to get in good position to call balls and strikes.

He won't be missed from my end. His retirement is overdue.

Huisj
07-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I just watched the clip, and it was pretty obvious that Beltre touched the base on the original slide. It's less clear whether Guillen ever touched him.

What else I noticed is that Mags made a pretty poor throw to home, or they have a play there, and that the catcher dropped the ball on his first attempt to throw to second. If he makes a clean transfer, Beltre is likely out by a lot.

And interestingly, that catcher was Detroit's backup, Mike Rabelo, who was in the game because Rodriguez had been ejected the inning before when we bumped the ump a little bit arguing an interference call. You gotta think if he was still in, that play would get made.

All in all, a pretty strange game.

Fenway
07-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I watched that game as well

he was LAUGHING about missing the call
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20070712/450mari13_589mu_beltre.jpg

BTW I pity the people of Seattle who have to watch that announcing team....they were AWFUL

Sox
07-13-2007, 01:40 PM

BTW I pity the people of Seattle who have to watch that announcing team....they were AWFUL

Laughing about missing the call? It's called insanity or senility one of the two.

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2007, 04:36 PM

The Mariners' broadcast showed re-plays of the ENTIRE play at least three times during the game, including once during the post-game show, when they were interviewing Beltre about the whole thing. None of the tags touched Beltre. The only bad call Froemming made here was missing Beltre's hand, which CLEARLY touched the corner of 2nd base closest to him. Beltre then got up and ran to 3rd, which is legal since he never was tagged and play was never ruled dead. After the conference on the field, Beltre should've been standing at 3rd, and Johjima should've been allowed to bat. You never know if Seattle would've added on to their total then.

They're no Hawk & DJ or Hawk & Whimpy, that's for sure!

goofymsfan
07-13-2007, 04:58 PM

To what set are you referring? I only listen to the radio broadcasts on away games or games I can't get to. I don't like Ron Sims. Rizz is okay sometimes, but for the next few games Neihaus has off. I don't mind Blowers when he announces. There was a guest announcer taking Dave's spot behind the mic. but I don't remember what his name was but it wasn't someone who is actually IN baseball. It's someone was involved with Cheers, and Frasier and a couple of other shows.

Vernam
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Memo to MLB: Please don't let this pig ump in the World Series just because he's retiring. The guy can't hack it anymore. He can't even bend his knees to get in good position to call balls and strikes.

He won't be missed from my end. His retirement is overdue.That's harsh but absolutely true. I'm not proud to admit it was slightly amusing to watch him get hit by those two foul tips in the All Star game. If his man boobs weren't hanging around the edge of his chest protector, neither foul would've hurt so much. :cool:

Vernam

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Who cares? They still won.

HotelWhiteSox
07-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Who cares? They still won.

The post was made during the game, like right after the play, plus he's arguing it cost Det a run, and they lost by 1

chisoxfanatic
07-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm sure he called Beltre out to get the game over quicker so that he could make his bi-daily run to Dunkin Donuts sooner.