PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban Bidding For Cubs

Viva Medias B's
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
According to Rick Morrissey in Friday's Chicago Tribune, Dallas Mavericks maverick owner Mark Cuban has submitted an application to purchase the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc., from the Tribune Company.

Link for those of you Tribune-registered (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-070712morrissey,1,1860312.column?coll=chi-news-hed&?track=sto-topstory)

jamokes
07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf has a lot of clout in baseball and he will never let Cuban own the cub. End of subject period. cub fans can hope all they want.....it will not happen.

lakeviewsoxfan
07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf has a lot of clout in baseball and he will never let Cuban own the cub. End of subject period. cub fans can hope all they want.....it will not happen.

You got that right JR was tghe only owner in the NBA who voted against Cuban buying the Mavs.

jabrch
07-12-2007, 11:49 PM

It is not just JR. Most MLB owners want nothing to do with him. Also the political clout it will take for anyone to do what needs to be done with the Cubs (new stadium) will not happen without a more politically connected Chicagoan.

I don't see any way Cuban gets approved by the MLB owners committee.

cws05champ
07-12-2007, 11:50 PM
I hope this does not happen. That's all we need, the Cubs go from media darlings and having the Chicago media bias in their favor...to the Cubs having unlimited financial resources and a media hording owner.

WhiteSox5187
07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
It is not just JR. Most MLB owners want nothing to do with him. Also the political clout it will take for anyone to do what needs to be done with the Cubs (new stadium) will not happen without a more politically connected Chicagoan.

I don't see any way Cuban gets approved by the MLB owners committee.
Unless Trump owns the Cubs (and even then) no one will tear down Wrigley until it falls down. Tearing down Wrigley will force the Cubs to spend money on players and really, why would any smart buisnessman do that when you can just open the gates to Wrigley and get forty thousand in the stands?

Cuban will never own the Cubs. JR won't let it happen and I have heard that the Commisioner's office is pissed at the Cubs for spending money like a sailor on leave over the last off season and probably will not give the franchise to the highest bidder but rather a guy they know they can control.

TDog
07-13-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm not registered, so I can't read the story. I don't know if it was written by one of those credible reporters who insisted Mark Buehrle was going to be traded. But I agree with others that I would find it unlikely Cuban would be allowed to buy the Cubs. Baseball has rejected prospective buyers of other teams. I certainly believe owners would reject another a prospective owner who offers serious potential of throwing stupid money at players at a time when the game is looking for a market correction. Cuban has a record that doesn't help him.

With the White Sox chairman very likely to oppose Cuban, and the Cubs corporate ownership having a relationship with the White Sox chairman, it seems odd that a bid from Cuban would do anything but drive up the price.

I haven't read anything lately about the real estate issue, and, again, I'm not registered on the Tribune site. The last I read, the Tribune Company was not looking to include Wrigley Field in the sale. It is entirely possible that there would be higher bids from interests who wanted to move the Cubs from Chicago than interests who wanted to own the Cubs in Chicago without owning Wrigley Field. I don't know if Cuban is one such interest. I would have no problem with Cuban buying the Cubs if he wanted to leave greater Chicago.

Of course, this point is moot. The National League owners would never leave Chicago to the White Sox, although it is possible the American League owners would leave Chicago to the Cubs.

Soxfanspcu11
07-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Just how much say does JR have in this deal?

I know that he has some serious pull in the pro sports world, but just how much, I am unaware.

Does he really have the power to keep Cuban out?? I have to plead ignorance on this one. I have never really gotten into this aspect of baseball. If anyone can explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

That being said, I really hope that Cuban stays the hell out of Chicago. I see enough of him already and if he comes into our market, seeing that assbag on tv every day will make me ill.

Could you imagine if he were the scrubs owner??? Could you imagine him during the crosstown games?!?! Sitting there in the stands, yelling, screaming, talking **** to Sox fans. Wow, that would get old quick.:o:

chaerulez
07-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Unless Trump owns the Cubs (and even then) no one will tear down Wrigley until it falls down. Tearing down Wrigley will force the Cubs to spend money on players and really, why would any smart buisnessman do that when you can just open the gates to Wrigley and get forty thousand in the stands?

Cuban will never own the Cubs. JR won't let it happen and I have heard that the Commisioner's office is pissed at the Cubs for spending money like a sailor on leave over the last off season and probably will not give the franchise to the highest bidder but rather a guy they know they can control.

I think Cuban would be willing to tear down Wrigley. He's a businessman, but he's not a compete bottome line type of guy. He turned the Mavs from a joke to a year in title contender. He spends a lot of money to take care of players and give them excellent locker rooms and training facilities. Regardless, Cuban owning the Cubs is much better than the Tribune company. He would actually care about putting a good product on the field.

voodoochile
07-13-2007, 12:58 AM

They would still draw so long as they could keep the location. That bar district isn't going anywhere. They could even keep the bleachers and scoreboard and redo the rest if possible (it should be) and no one would care in the slightest. It's the bleachers and the old time scoreboard which give the place its "ambiance".

HomeFish
07-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Hip-hop superstar and Cardinals fan Cornell Haynes Jr (aka Nelly) has spoken before of his wish of buying the Cubs in order to implode Wrigley Field. I don't know whether he has begun work on his application, though.

santo=dorf
07-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Hip-hop superstar and Cardinals fan Cornell Haynes Jr (aka Nelly) has spoken before of his wish of buying the Cubs in order to implode Wrigley Field. I don't know whether he has begun work on his application, though.
Not that I don't believe you, buy will you PLEASE provide a link? I would like to show some of my friends this. :cool:

Noneck
07-13-2007, 01:35 AM

If that ever happens the movie Ben will become reality for all wrigleyville establishments.

areilly
07-13-2007, 04:13 AM
FWIW, the Cubs' home games are estimated at $8 million apiece in revenue to the city of Chicago, according to my sports reporting professor. Would Cuban capitalize in this? Probably. Would he be an embarrassment to ownership by yelling at umpires over balls and strikes? Probably as well.

SBSoxFan
07-13-2007, 06:58 AM
FWIW, the Cubs' home games are estimated at $8 million apiece in revenue to the city of Chicago, according to my sports reporting professor. Would Cuban capitalize in this? Probably. Would he be an embarrassment to ownership by yelling at umpires over balls and strikes? Probably as well.

Well, then there's no way cubs' fans get their second wish --- Joe Girardi as manager.

Hokiesox
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
It would be pretty funny to watch an MLB umpire eject him.

thedudeabides
07-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Does this make Cuban more "Now"?

Fenway
07-13-2007, 09:56 AM

As we found out in Boston even a higher bid means nothing if Selig says no. Charles Dolan offered more for the Red Sox but Selig wanted no part of him. Heck Dolan's brother who owns the Indians wanted no part of him either. He took the Indians off FSN Ohio and started his own channel.

The only thing Selig hasn't been able to fix is getting rid of Jeffery Loria.

Steelrod
07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
JR may want nothing to do with him, but his greater problem is that most MLB owners read newspapers and watch TV, and would have no interest in having him as a partner. He is one gigantic headache in the overall scheme of things.

Moses_Scurry
07-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Although I can't stand the cubbies and would hate it if they became perennial contenders because of Cuban's ownership and spending, I still want Cuban to own a team just to see what happens.

I would love it if JR and the gang blocked him from buying the cobs but allowed him to buy the Pirates (his hometown team). That would be the best!

whitesoxfan1986
07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Although I can't stand the cubbies and would hate it if they became perennial contenders because of Cuban's ownership and spending, I still want Cuban to own a team just to see what happens.

I would love it if JR and the gang blocked him from buying the cobs but allowed him to buy the Pirates (his hometown team). That would be the best!
Cuban buying the Cubs would be the absolute worst thing that could happen for the Sox. Jerry HAS to block it because if he doesn't, then it is financial suicide for his team. The Cubs would have a payroll that rivaled the Yankees and Red Sox with Cuban as owner. The Cubs would be perrenial contenders because of his rabid spending, but, their farm system would always be destitute, and the players he drafted in the first rounddue to signability concerns and he paid top dollar for would be traded away, to get the best players on the trade market. However, I think that Selig will approve of this because he thinks that the Cubs winning is good for baseball. I hope that the owners block it, because if they don't, then we can wave bye-bye to the Sox in Chicago in about 5-10 years. Ownership will be forced to move because they can't compete.

Fenway
07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Mark Cuban would the next generation of this

http://www.the-planets.com/star-biography/George-Steinbrenner-Biography-4.jpg

RowanDye
07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Cuban buying the Cubs would be the absolute worst thing that could happen for the Sox. Jerry HAS to block it because if he doesn't, then it is financial suicide for his team. The Cubs would have a payroll that rivaled the Yankees and Red Sox with Cuban as owner. The Cubs would be perrenial contenders because of his rabid spending, but, their farm system would always be destitute, and the players he drafted in the first rounddue to signability concerns and he paid top dollar for would be traded away, to get the best players on the trade market. However, I think that Selig will approve of this because he thinks that the Cubs winning is good for baseball. I hope that the owners block it, because if they don't, then we can wave bye-bye to the Sox in Chicago in about 5-10 years. Ownership will be forced to move because they can't compete.

:rolleyes: Yea, because we all know that only team's with the highest payroll make the playoffs each year.

For the most part you're either a Sox fan or a Cubs fan, Cuban isn't going to change that enough to force the Sox out of town.

cws05champ
07-13-2007, 01:17 PM
:rolleyes: Yea, because we all know that only team's with the highest payroll make the playoffs each year.

For the most part you're either a Sox fan or a Cubs fan, Cuban isn't going to change that enough to force the Sox out of town.

True, but as we have seen over the last few years, its the casual fan and fence riders that make the difference in attendance and overall popularity/saturation of the Sox base. There are die hard fans on both sides of town, but there are a lot more casual Cubs "fans" because of the stadium and atmosphere around the park. If Cuban made the Cubs MORE visible this would hurt the Sox.

Steelrod
07-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I doubt it. Selig would be the one who would have to deal with Cuban. Steinbrenner, for all his faults, never has broken new financial ground with a player, with the exception of Clemons this year. And it may not have been him doing it!

Fenway
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
I doubt it. Selig would be the one who would have to deal with Cuban. Steinbrenner, for all his faults, never has broken new financial ground with a player, with the exception of Clemons this year. And it may not have been him doing it!

oh yes he did

Catfish and Reggie for starters

CLR01
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Bring him on.

Steelrod
07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
oh yes he did

Catfish and Reggie for starters
I stand corrected.

AZChiSoxFan
07-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Sure, just like how the Mets can't compete in NY with the Yankees....

jabrch
07-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Unless Trump owns the Cubs (and even then) no one will tear down Wrigley until it falls down.

That's not true. A modern park in that same neighborhood would be even more of a goldmine than the dump they have there right now.

Blueprint1
07-14-2007, 12:47 AM
That's not true. A modern park in that same neighborhood would be even more of a goldmine than the dump they have there right now.

How could you fit a modern park in that tiny little space. They would have to tear buildings down to do that.

WhiteSox5187
07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
How could you fit a modern park in that tiny little space. They would have to tear buildings down to do that.
That's what I was thinking. Building space for a ballpark in Wrigleyville would be hard to come by (especially with modern conviences such as say, parking, or concourses that don't resemeble a medevial dungeon). In fact, it'd be hard to come by in any prime real estate location (unless they decided to move in to Lincoln Park, and I'm talking about the actual park). The Sox really kinda screwed themselves by staying in Bridgeport, had they moved to the South Loop in 1991 with a new ballpark they'd have sold out every game for years...however the Sox ARE a Bridgeport (and Southside) tradition and I'm glad they stayed.

HotelWhiteSox
07-14-2007, 01:30 AM
So I'm guessing Reinsdorf will go back to being hated more than dollar Bill in this town, even if he ends up being one of many

chaerulez
07-14-2007, 02:33 AM
I've thought about this some more and I know there are politics about things everywhere and that MLB doesn't really care about it's fans, but Cuban owning the Cubs would probably be the best thing for Cub fans at this point. It'd be even good for the Sox. If the Cubs stay competitive for a decent stretch, it puts pressure on the Sox to field a good product as well. It's sad that JR will have a major say in this (we know he will), and it won't happen. I'm just saying in a perfect world it shouldn't matter who the Chicago White Sox owner thinks the new Chicago Cubs owner should be, the new owner should be the one that is most committed to winning a World Series.

southside rocks
07-14-2007, 07:53 AM
They would still draw so long as they could keep the location. That bar district isn't going anywhere. They could even keep the bleachers and scoreboard and redo the rest if possible (it should be) and no one would care in the slightest. It's the bleachers and the old time scoreboard which give the place its "ambiance".

They could build a new stadium around the current playing field. Heck, the Springfield -- I mean, Albuquerque -- Isotopes did it. I wonder how long that would take and where the team would play while it was being done.

southside rocks
07-14-2007, 07:55 AM

That would be a challenge. Maybe build it up instead of out? When I went to Miller Park this summer I noticed that the seats don't go as far back as they do at the Cell, but there are more decks. So you are not sitting so far back from the field, but wow, you could be sitting waaayyy above it. That might be an option if they were to rebuild the urinal/shrine.

jabrch
07-14-2007, 08:50 AM

You could put something pretty nice in the space they have. You could do even better if you bought the 1/4 block just west of the park (McDonalds) and expanded out.

It wouldn't be "easy" - but the opportunity is there - and so is the $.

Frater Perdurabo
07-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Flipping through the channels - and dialing across the radio spectrum - yesterday, a nauseatingly large number of sportsblab mediots spent an even more disgustingly large portion of their time between commercials speculating about Cuban buying the Cubs and signing A-Rod.

I've liked Cuban as the Dallas Mavericks owner. I'll like him far less if he buys the Cubs. He'd be far better suited to help MLB and help himself if he purchased and then resurrected a dormant franchise like the Pirates.

He could buy the Pirates for $250 million or less. He could reinvigorate the franchise and a few decades later (due both to growth and inflation) sell it for $1 billion. That's a 400% gain (obviously reduced by taxes and inflation).

The Cubs are rumoured to sell for $1 billion. They already sell out every game. Their merchandise sales are astronomical. I doubt they can squeeze more revenue out of what they already have.

If they want to build a new park, Cuban will have to find private financing. I doubt Chicago or Illinois taxpayers would be willing to pay to build a new park for a team owned by a billionaire! Moreoever, even an exact replica of Wrigley wouldn't have the same "appeal" and couldn't be built in the same location. Therefore, the team wouldn't generate that much more revenue in a new park than it does now.

I just don't see the Cubs' value increasing to $4 billion during the same time frame in which the Pirates' value could increase 400% if Cuban bought them instead. The Cubs have far less potential to grow, because their potential profits already are "realized."

Finally, Selig said he wanted local (Chicago) ownership, and many MLB owners (especially JR) don't want him.

FedEx227
07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Please don't happen. I'm a huge Mark Cuban fan for turning the Mavericks around, I've met him countless times and he's a real down-to-earth, very engaging and nice guy.

Plus if he buys the Cubs they'll continue to be competitive which is not a good thing for my ears. I'd rather they get an owner that cares about profit more than results on the field.

TDog
07-14-2007, 01:50 PM
I've thought about this some more and I know there are politics about things everywhere and that MLB doesn't really care about it's fans, but Cuban owning the Cubs would probably be the best thing for Cub fans at this point. It'd be even good for the Sox. If the Cubs stay competitive for a decent stretch, it puts pressure on the Sox to field a good product as well. It's sad that JR will have a major say in this (we know he will), and it won't happen. I'm just saying in a perfect world it shouldn't matter who the Chicago White Sox owner thinks the new Chicago Cubs owner should be, the new owner should be the one that is most committed to winning a World Series.

As if it's in the best interest of baseball to have a Cubs owner committed to winning the World Series. Who knows? It might make the team more economically viable.

If the Tribune Co. wants to sell to Cuban and Cuban is rejected by the owners, it wouldn't be because Reinsdorf says no. If Cuban were to offer to buy the White Sox, as many around here put in deep pink in the years leading up to 2005, he would be rejected. There is more reason to reject him today.

Owners can't conspire to keep salaries down. They are looking for a "market correction," and they have a say in who their future competition for talent will be. It isn't just a matter of a new owner coming in and outbidding them for the top players, it is a matter of paying players arbitration awards based on stupid, inflated contracts.

The NBA has a salary cap of sorts. There has to be a concern with an owner whose method of operation is anticipated to be the antithesis of a market correction. I don't know anything about his behavior, but it sounds like that might count against him, too.

It's true that the team with the highest payroll doesn't necessarily win, that increasing payroll won't equate to more wins (since the White Sox won the World Series, wins seem to be decreasing as payroll increases). The Tribune Co. might be obligated to to accept a deal from the highest bidder, but MLB owners would be foolish to approve new ownership that would make it more expensive for them to field teams that may not be as competitive.

Soxfanspcu11
07-14-2007, 04:47 PM

RED?? RED WHERE ARE YOU???

getonbckthr
07-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Personally I think its bull **** that the highest bidder doesn't get to purchase the team. Thats like if me and some other guy both walk into a car dealership and want the same car. I'm willing to pay 20,000 but this guy is only willing to pay 15,000 however the dealership gives it to this guy because I got into an arguement at the local Tweeters entertainment store. I'm just curious how its even legal in a way to do that? How isn't this the same as not giving a job to a person because of their racial, ethnic or sexual backround?

TDog
07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Personally I think its bull **** that the highest bidder doesn't get to purchase the team. Thats like if me and some other guy both walk into a car dealership and want the same car. I'm willing to pay 20,000 but this guy is only willing to pay 15,000 however the dealership gives it to this guy because I got into an arguement at the local Tweeters entertainment store. I'm just curious how its even legal in a way to do that? How isn't this the same as not giving a job to a person because of their racial, ethnic or sexual backround?

Discrimination based on race, gender or ethnic background is, indeed, quite different from discriminating against someone to protect business interests. Discriminating against Cuban in this case would not be the same as discriminating against Oprah Winfrey, if you want to use that analogy.

if you were selling a car you took good care of for 10 years, changing the oil every 2,000 mile and waxing with two coats every weekend, you probably wouldn't sell it to the highest bidder if you saw the highest bidder get into an argument at the local Tweeters entertainment store.

If someone wanted to buy your car to put it in a demolition derby, you probably wouldn't sell it to that prospective buyer.

In baseball, other owners have a say in who will be competing with them. that might not sound fair, but it gets a lot more "unfair" when you consider baseball's antitrust exemption. You could buy a team and wouldn't even have the right to move it to another market without the permission of your competitors. In football apparently you could. But salary caps might not seem fair to you either.

It would be perfectly for other owners to prevent Cuban from buying a team.

soxfan13
07-14-2007, 06:28 PM

You got that right JR was tghe only owner in the NBA who voted against Cuban buying the Mavs.

Just how much say does JR have in this deal?

I know that he has some serious pull in the pro sports world, but just how much, I am unaware.

Does he really have the power to keep Cuban out?? I have to plead ignorance on this one. I have never really gotten into this aspect of baseball. If anyone can explain it to me, it would be greatly appreciated.

That being said, I really hope that Cuban stays the hell out of Chicago. I see enough of him already and if he comes into our market, seeing that assbag on tv every day will make me ill.

Could you imagine if he were the scrubs owner??? Could you imagine him during the crosstown games?!?! Sitting there in the stands, yelling, screaming, talking **** to Sox fans. Wow, that would get old quick.:o:

Lots of people are forgetting that this exact same thing is how JR was able to purchase the White Sox. MLB rejected Eddie DeBartolo's bid and JRs group was the next best bid.

DumpJerry
07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Too many postings for me to quote all of them in response.

It ain't gonna happen. Uncle Jerry is very powerful among MLB owners. If he says no, then no is the answer. JR does not have much clout among the NBA owners.

When you own a sports team, you own a franchise. This means you have to agree with certain conditions like marketing and public image. This is why the owners can veto a sale to a specific person. You want to join their club.

Cuban's famous and frequent confrontations with NBA refs will keep him out of MLB. They don't want someone bellyaching about the Umps every time the Cubs lose.

Cuban's money won't give him an advantage. There are some powerfully rich people who can put together a consortium with Cuban-like bucks who want to buy the team and have small (or humble) enough egos which won't become the lead story every day.

Oh, The Urinal? If it comes down, the replacement will be in the suburbs. There is not enough room in a single space in Chicago to build a modern stadium except for possibly the vacant land one group was trying to get the city to use for a new Bears' stadium when the renovation of Soldier Field was announced a few years back. I don't quit know where this land was, but it was described in the media as being "near Comiskey Park." Hmmmm................:cool:

lakeviewsoxfan
07-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Too many postings for me to quote all of them in response.

It ain't gonna happen. Uncle Jerry is very powerful among MLB owners. If he says no, then no is the answer. JR does not have much clout among the NBA owners.

When you own a sports team, you own a franchise. This means you have to agree with certain conditions like marketing and public image. This is why the owners can veto a sale to a specific person. You want to join their club.

Cuban's famous and frequent confrontations with NBA refs will keep him out of MLB. They don't want someone bellyaching about the Umps every time the Cubs lose.

Cuban's money won't give him an advantage. There are some powerfully rich people who can put together a consortium with Cuban-like bucks who want to buy the team and have small (or humble) enough egos which won't become the lead story every day.

Oh, The Urinal? If it comes down, the replacement will be in the suburbs. There is not enough room in a single space in Chicago to build a modern stadium except for possibly the vacant land one group was trying to get the city to use for a new Bears' stadium when the renovation of Soldier Field was announced a few years back. I don't quit know where this land was, but it was described in the media as being "near Comiskey Park." Hmmmm................:cool:

Pretty much sums it up.

Gordon Gekko
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
As if it's in the best interest of baseball to have a Cubs owner committed to winning the World Series. Who knows? It might make the team more economically viable.

If the Tribune Co. wants to sell to Cuban and Cuban is rejected by the owners, it wouldn't be because Reinsdorf says no. If Cuban were to offer to buy the White Sox, as many around here put in deep pink in the years leading up to 2005, he would be rejected. There is more reason to reject him today.

Owners can't conspire to keep salaries down. They are looking for a "market correction," and they have a say in who their future competition for talent will be. It isn't just a matter of a new owner coming in and outbidding them for the top players, it is a matter of paying players arbitration awards based on stupid, inflated contracts.

The NBA has a salary cap of sorts. There has to be a concern with an owner whose method of operation is anticipated to be the antithesis of a market correction. I don't know anything about his behavior, but it sounds like that might count against him, too.

It's true that the team with the highest payroll doesn't necessarily win, that increasing payroll won't equate to more wins (since the White Sox won the World Series, wins seem to be decreasing as payroll increases). The Tribune Co. might be obligated to to accept a deal from the highest bidder, but MLB owners would be foolish to approve new ownership that would make it more expensive for them to field teams that may not be as competitive.

Without Cuban, the have's and have not's will still exist. George Steinbrenner and Boston already drive the marketplace. Don't think the Mets, Angels or Dodgers are that far behind either.

Cuban would be great for the game, even if he owns the team on the other side of town. I know he can get a bit annoying or over-the-top, but baseball needs more owners like him. While Reinsdorf has pull, was he not also the chief architect of baseball's biggest blunder: 1994 strike?

Cubs' rivals are hoping against Cuban, but what about the family that owns Ameritrade? They have just as much cash as Cuban, but a few more unknowns. Who's to say they won't do all they can to win the World Series and spend into oblivion?

And who is to say Cuban will just spend $200M and rival Steinbrenner? There's nothing to say he will. Remember he deals with a salary cap in the NBA. He treats his players well and spends on making the whole experience well worth it, but who is to say that automatically he'll throw double at everything and anything?

I don't see that at all. Maybe the payroll under Cuban increases 20%, but I doubt they'll ever get to the Red Sox, Yankee numbers.

mark2olson
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Cubs' rivals are hoping against Cuban, but what about the family that owns Ameritrade? They have just as much cash as Cuban, but a few more unknowns. Who's to say they won't do all they can to win the World Series and spend into oblivion?

Pete Ricketts, the son of Ameritrade's owner and an integral member of the Ameritrade management team, just dumped a boat-load of his own money into an unsuccessful bid to unseat Nebraska Democratic senator Ben Nelson.

While they are not ostentatious, the Ricketts have shown a willingness to invest in their company; they certainly pay their executives handsomely. This may or may not indicate that they would pony up the right amount of cash to purchase the team. It may or may not indicate, moreover, that they would spend into oblivion if their bid were successful. You are right, too many unknowns.

FedEx227
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
And who is to say Cuban will just spend $200M and rival Steinbrenner? There's nothing to say he will. Remember he deals with a salary cap in the NBA. He treats his players well and spends on making the whole experience well worth it, but who is to say that automatically he'll throw double at everything and anything?

http://www.nba.com/media/act_erick_dampier.jpg
"Sup"