PDA

View Full Version : Matsuzaka feels at home

Fenway
07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
some telling parts in this article

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/07/12/glare_aside_matsuzaka_feels_at_home/?page=full

The ground rules here are different from what Matsuzaka knew in Japan. Nothing apparently has upset him more than when a Reuters photographer recently clicked a picture of his toddler daughter at Fenway Park and posted it on the wire, where it was picked up by both the Boston Herald and Boston.com (http://boston.com/). Never mind that at the All-Star Game in San Francisco this week, the Sox All-Stars with kids -- David Ortiz, Manny Ramírez, fellow Japanese pitcher Hideki Okajima, and Mike Lowell -- had them on the field, cameras clicking. Matsuzaka is adamant that his child be kept out of the public eye.
"I think the biggest challenge so far has been my goal to protect my privacy and my family's privacy," said Matsuzaka, whose parents and in-laws have come from Japan to see him here. "It's an important objective, but also one that is very challenging.

Still he has impressed overall

Only three major leaguers have won more games. Beckett and the Indians' C.C. Sabathia have a dozen wins apiece, while John Lackey of the Angels has 11. Matsuzaka is fifth in the majors with 123 strikeouts, sixth in strikeouts per nine innings with 9.25. He leads the Sox in pitches thrown (1,977), and only Carlos Zambrano of the Cubs has averaged more pitches per start (111.95 to 109.83).

Domeshot17
07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
:whocares

Mr.1Dog
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Care factor= 0

itsnotrequired
07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Excellent responses so far.

Good for him, keeping the family out of the public eye.

StepsInSC
07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Seriously, if you don't care, try not to be a jerk and simply DON'T POST. Frankly it was an interesting read for baseball fans regardless of their rooting interest.

chitownhawkfan
07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
:whocares

SBSoxFan
07-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Only three major leaguers have won more games. Beckett and the Indians' C.C. Sabathia have a dozen wins apiece, while John Lackey of the Angels has 11. Matsuzaka is fifth in the majors with 123 strikeouts, sixth in strikeouts per nine innings with 9.25. He leads the Sox in pitches thrown (1,977), and only Carlos Zambrano of the Cubs has averaged more pitches per start (111.95 to 109.83).

I'm not sure where their innings per start are, but is that a good thing?

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure where their innings per start are, but is that a good thing?

I don't know for sure, but they are pitches that the bullpen doesn't have to throw.

I guess it depends which side of the argument you want to take (keeping starters fresh vs. keeping the bullpen fresh).

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 08:24 AM
As for the family situation, he must not have known how completely parasitic our media is. I can see how that can be a rude awakening.

SBSoxFan
07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I don't know for sure, but they are pitches that the bullpen doesn't have to throw.

I guess it depends which side of the argument you want to take (keeping starters fresh vs. keeping the bullpen fresh).

I was going with "who cares if you throw 120 pitches but it only gets you through 6 innings." I didn't list Zambrano's and Matzusaka's MLB rankings in innings pitched as they are below a few guys who have more starts, and are above a few guys who have less starts. So, that ranking can change drastically. However, both look to be in line to top 200 innings.