PDA

View Full Version : How much longer for Dye?

Matlock
07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
This guy played over his head last year and is showing his true colors this season, he is a piece of junk. Maybe Kenny could get trade Dye and some cash to the Royals for Mark Teahen, I know it sounds one sided, but the Royals are stupid and would probably go for this.

sox1970
07-12-2007, 12:44 PM
This guy played over his head last year and is showing his true colors this season, he is a piece of junk. Maybe Kenny could get trade Dye and some cash to the Royals for Mark Teahen, I know it sounds one sided, but the Royals are stupid and would probably go for this.

:o:

JB98
07-12-2007, 12:47 PM

I think the Royals are a lot smarter than you are.

lostfan
07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
lol, ***

peelwonder
07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Have them throw in Alex Gordon and it'll make it worth our while

rdwj
07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
You'd think you'd have a little more respect for a guy that signed to play here for less money, filled Magg's shoes and was a World Series MVP. I think he will be gone soon and that his best days are behind him, but I'd NEVER consider Dye a piece of garbage.

Luke
07-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Well, we only have a 2 game lead on stupid. What does that make us?

103 screwball
You'd think you'd have a little more respect for a guy that signed to play here for less money, filled Magg's shoes and was a World Series MVP. I think he will be gone soon and that his best days are behind him, but I'd NEVER consider Dye a piece of garbage.

Agreed. Show some gratitude. Dye doesn't deserve that crap he's been a class act.

Matlock

I meant that he is not a very good player anymore and if he continues playing like this it is a waste of money even at a discount. I'm sure Dye is an outstanding individual, he seems like a fine young man.

jenn2080
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
You are all arguing with a guy who thinks Aaron Rowand is a baseball God. No sense arguing as no one should be surprised that he thinks that Dye is a piece of garbage.

soxfan13
07-12-2007, 01:01 PM

WOW my headache gets stronger everytime I read one of your post but its like a car wreck I cant help but look. Its one thing to throw out trade proposals for discussion and even arguing but the stuff you are throwing out is just beyond ridiculous.

goon
07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
0-2, Matlock.

07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I did not know they give Internet breaks at day care.

thomas35forever
07-12-2007, 01:31 PM
This is like asking the Royals to trade Sweeney for Gonzalez. No way in Hell this works.

Rocky Soprano
07-12-2007, 01:38 PM

This thread is garbage.

lostfan
07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Dye busted his ass for this team. Without him we might not have a WS title. I agree... the guy deserves respect even if he's struggling right now.

Besides, I'm not convinced the struggles are anything other than temporary.

redsand22
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
This is like asking the Royals to trade Sweeney for Gonzalez. No way in Hell this works.

but we already have Ryan and Gio!!

Frontman
07-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Agreed. Dye certainly wasn't garbage in 05, and certainly he wasn't last year as he carried the Sox when things weren't going so well for others on the team.

Rocky Soprano
07-12-2007, 01:57 PM

My eyes!

:tealtutor:

TomBradley72
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
This thread is complete garbage.

But while we're on the topic....I'd go the other way with Dye. His value will be "depressed" after the year he's had this year....so the FA route may nbot look as attractive to him. I'd offer him a three year deal...with alot of incentives if he plays like he did in 2005/06. I would move him to LF which is a better fit for him at his age...and he could eventually succeed Thome as DH. He's a first class guy, fans love him, great in the clubhouse. I'd add Rowand in CF during the offseason.

That allows us to focus on RF and possibly consider going with Sweeney for that slot.

AuroraSoxFan
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM

I agree that the guy's best days are likely history and he is unlikely to duplicate his 06 numbers ever again. I think the Sox should trade him IF they can get something for him. I still don't think they should just give him away. All that aside if you can't stand him that is your opinion but calling him a piece of junk is a bit over the top.

southside rocks
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Are you high? :?:

PatK
07-12-2007, 05:01 PM

But while we're on the topic....I'd go the other way with Dye. His value will be "depressed" after the year he's had this year....so the FA route may nbot look as attractive to him. I'd offer him a three year deal...with alot of incentives if he plays like he did in 2005/06. I would move him to LF which is a better fit for him at his age...and he could eventually succeed Thome as DH. He's a first class guy, fans love him, great in the clubhouse. I'd add Rowand in CF during the offseason.

That allows us to focus on RF and possibly consider going with Sweeney for that slot.

I like your thinking.

We could probably re-sign him cheap. It's going to be easier to replace 2 outfielders for next year than replacing all 3.

DirtySouthsider
07-12-2007, 05:19 PM

I agree with everything in your post. But with an OF of Rowand, Dye and Sweeney, the SS and 2B must fill the #1 and #2 slots in the order. It's possible the Sox could pull it off, but seeing the options at SS and 2B, it won't be easy.

IlliniSoxFan
07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I like your thinking.

We could probably re-sign him cheap. It's going to be easier to replace 2 outfielders for next year than replacing all 3.

I like that way of thinking, as well. As I see it, the options with Dye right now are (likely, as I certainly have no way of knowing the quality of offers KW has received for Dye) 1) trade Dye for poor value as another team tries to fleece the Sox based on the first half of Dye's year to catch lightning as he progresses to the mean in the second half; 2) let him walk at the end of the season; or 3) try to sign him on the relative cheap based on the downturn in numbers this year.

I especially like the idea of putting him in left field and seeing what we can get done with the rest of the outfield.

Also, I wonder how much of Dye's struggles are his experiencing some panic knowing he's in a walk year and needing to get his numbers way up to get a good contract...

spiffie
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Who let Hangar back here?

The Immigrant
07-12-2007, 06:08 PM

Hey, there's no room in this thread for logic and reason!

JB98
07-12-2007, 06:12 PM

Interesting perspective. It's not a bad idea. Under this scenario, we'd have to acquire a 2B or SS who could bat leadoff. It's certainly possible.

TomBradley72
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree with everything in your post. But with an OF of Rowand, Dye and Sweeney, the SS and 2B must fill the #1 and #2 slots in the order. It's possible the Sox could pull it off, but seeing the options at SS and 2B, it won't be easy.

Agreed....but we're more likely to find lead off/#2 hitters in the middle infield than we are in the corner OF spots.

kobo
07-12-2007, 06:30 PM
5 over 2 down, yo. Wow.

Domeshot17
07-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I like Buster Olney's perspective on this last week. If we dont get a great offer ( a good spec and a good rp) keep him and take his type A arbitration. We'll end up with 2 picks for him in the top 75, which could bring back some very good prospects.

Huisj
07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm so sick of these threads popping up with ridiculous trade proposals to lousy teams that are followed with a statement like, "they're a dumb organization, so they'll do it." Huh? Just like the Contrares for Carl Crawford thread, this trade proposal is total nonsense.

As for Dye being a piece of Garbage, keep in mind that he's been hurt off and on much of the year. He's played through nagging injuries a lot, and you can tell he's been slowed down by them. He's also been consistently missing just enough time with those injuries that he can't get any rhythm going.

If the Sox are going to trade him, they need to hope he comes back and has a monster first week after the break and shows that he can run in the outfield and swing the bat. If he does that, a contending team that really needs a bat or has an injury could be interested, but probably only for a mid-level position prospect or two. He's not going to land a major league ready top notch pitcher right now.

If the Sox do hang on to him and he's shows a little bit of progress, I could even see the Sox even offering him a 1 year deal with incentives/options for next year. Maybe that sounds nuts, but it'd be cheap, and the Sox don't seem to be sold on any of their current prospects being full timers.

JohnTucker0814
07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
I like Buster Olney's perspective on this last week. If we dont get a great offer ( a good spec and a good rp) keep him and take his type A arbitration. We'll end up with 2 picks for him in the top 75, which could bring back some very good prospects.

shouldn't that be our pitch to the orginazation that wants to trade for him? I mean you're not only getting a guy that was monster for us the last 2 years, world series MVP, AL MVP candidate... but you will also get a type A FA for the '08 draft. If you give me one of your top rated prospects you are going to be able to replace him with 2!

munchman33
07-12-2007, 08:37 PM

That's great, except we'd have to offer Dye arbitration for that to work. And honestly, with the season he's having, he'll probably accept it and take the 8 or so million he'll get. I don't want Dye back at that cost. I simply don't believe he's that player anymore.

oeo
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Where ever he is, whether it's with us or another team, he will have a monster second half. I think if we do trade him, whoever gets him is going to get him at a complete bargain. Keep him around...if he catches fire before the deadline, we may get a good return; if not, keep him and let him walk.

MarySwiss
07-12-2007, 09:34 PM

After the half-year he's had this year. Let's wait and see, shall we?

TomBradley72
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
That's great, except we'd have to offer Dye arbitration for that to work. And honestly, with the season he's having, he'll probably accept it and take the 8 or so million he'll get. I don't want Dye back at that cost. I simply don't believe he's that player anymore.

I don't understand the impression that Dye is "washed up". He just turned 33 in January, he's in great shape....he's just been hit with "nagging injuries".

He's averaged .295-37-103 in his two years with the White Sox. Only Ordonez and Baines have had similar two year performances as right fielders for the White Sox. We should be clamoring to keep this guy.

The Immigrant
07-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't understand the impression that Dye is "washed up".

That's probably what Billy Beane thought in 2004. :cool:

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM

8M on a 1-year deal is not that bad for the Sox as long as Jermaine's healthy and producing like he has in his career (let alone 2006). I'd rather have some high quality youth coming in, but I'd bet Jermaine Dye in 2008 would help keep a team competitive. In fact, I think he's going to show that the rest of 2007.

I wonder if the Cubs would do something like Pie+young RP (Ohman, Marmol, etc) for him? They're down on Felix at least a bit, they need power in the OF, and they're desperate to contend this year under Lou. Sox get a highly talented young CF with 5 solid tools and a decent relief arm. If the Cubs want, give them back Aardsma.

Or if he continues producing like tonight, you ought to be able to get a Broxton+Billingsley/Kemp/Ethier type of deal.

oeo
07-12-2007, 10:29 PM
I wonder if the Cubs would do something like Pie+young RP (Ohman, Marmol, etc) for him? They're down on Felix at least a bit, they need power in the OF, and they're desperate to contend this year under Lou. Sox get a highly talented young CF with 5 solid tools and a decent relief arm. If the Cubs want, give them back Aardsma.

Right now Dye's trade value is terrible. There's no chance the Cubs would give up Pie. How could they be down on the guy...he's 22. Plenty of time for him to turn around. Besides, the way they've gotten lucky with career minor leaguers like Theriot and Fontenot this year, Pie will probably hit .450 the rest of the year (not saying Pie is a career minor leaguer...most certainly not).

And you think we can get Marmol? That's definitely not going to happen...especially since he's solidifying the back end of their bullpen. And Will Ohman is 29 years old; that's not young.

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Right now Dye's trade value is terrible. There's no chance the Cubs would give up Pie. How could they be down on the guy...he's 22. Plenty of time for him to turn around. Besides, the way they've gotten lucky with career minor leaguers like Theriot and Fontenot this year, Pie will probably hit .450 the rest of the year (not saying Pie is a career minor leaguer...most certainly not).

And you think we can get Marmol? That's definitely not going to happen...especially since he's solidifying the back end of their bullpen. And Will Ohman is 29 years old; that's not young.

Marmol's out of the question, but the Cubs and especially Jim hendry are desperate to win something now. I could see them giving up on Pie given his struggles because they're dumb.

sox1970
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Dye's going to get hot now. He'll be traded before the next homestand.

churlish
07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Marmol's out of the question, but the Cubs and especially Jim hendry are desperate to win something now. I could see them giving up on Pie given his struggles because they're dumb.

I would be shocked to see them trade Pie, and there is no way that it would be for Dye. Pie is a 5-tool player with a very high ceiling. He's extremely young.

Still, Dye would be a nice pickup for a team. It's tough to find a guy with 35+ HR potential, and I would imagine Kenny knows this, and is waiting for a team to get desperate.

A. Cavatica
07-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Interesting perspective. It's not a bad idea. Under this scenario, we'd have to acquire a 2B or SS who could bat leadoff. It's certainly possible.

Julio Lugo!

I didn't think we'd be able to afford Dye but I would definitely consider re-signing him at a reasonable price and move him to left. Right field? Ichiro.

JB98
07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Julio Lugo!

I didn't think we'd be able to afford Dye but I would definitely consider re-signing him at a reasonable price and move him to left. Right field? Ichiro.

IMO, the Sox will trade Dye. I'm sure JD feels he can still have a big second half and rebuild his value. He's probably not open to signing at a "reasonable price" right now. If he were, I'd say sign him up for three more years.

Brian26
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't understand the impression that Dye is "washed up". He just turned 33 in January, he's in great shape....he's just been hit with "nagging injuries".

He's averaged .295-37-103 in his two years with the White Sox. Only Ordonez and Baines have had similar two year performances as right fielders for the White Sox. We should be clamoring to keep this guy.

As disappointing as he's been in the first half, a guy who hit 42 homers the year before just doesn't suddenly forget how to hit. He's too young to be losing bat speed. I think it's just a combination of some nagging injuries coupled with a PK-type half year slump.

tacosalbarojas
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
As disappointing as he's been in the first half, a guy who hit 42 homers the year before just doesn't suddenly forget how to hit. He's too young to be losing bat speed. I think it's just a combination of some nagging injuries coupled with a PK-type half year slump.That HR tonight is hopefully a sign that this is more the case than a loss of bat speed. He definitely got all of it.

cws05champ
07-13-2007, 12:31 AM
That HR tonight is hopefully a sign that this is more the case than a loss of bat speed. He definitely got all of it.

I don't disagree with you that it is a combination of things...but tonights HR was on a hanging breaking ball. It's not too hard for any decent Major league hitter to get around on that.

If we don't good high level prospects in return for Dye, we should let him play out the year and then offer arbitration. If he accepts we'll probably pay less than mkt value and 1 yr deal, if he doesn't we'll get 2 early picks. It's a win win!!

oeo
07-13-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't disagree with you that it is a combination of things...but tonights HR was on a hanging breaking ball. It's not too hard for any decent Major league hitter to get around on that.

Maybe you haven't seen Dye in awhile, but he hasn't been able to hit mistakes like that most of the year.

Dye will have a huge second half, mark my words. He's not MVP good like he was in 2006, but he's still pretty damn solid.

BadBobbyJenks
07-13-2007, 01:54 AM

Are you serious?

A career 273 hitter with 249 homers 856 ribbies is a piece of junk....:rolleyes:

munchman33
07-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I don't understand the impression that Dye is "washed up".

It might have something to do with his batting average. And his inability to run. Oh, and also that he seems to be bothered constantly by nagging injuries, despite your contention that he's in "great shape."

Dye might be perfectly healthy next year. But I wouldn't put my money on it. I guarantee Kenny wouldn't want to put $8 million on it either.

TomBradley72
07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
It might have something to do with his batting average. And his inability to run. Oh, and also that he seems to be bothered constantly by nagging injuries, despite your contention that he's in "great shape."

So despite his track record and his performance over two years with the team..you believe that between last October and this season, a 33 year old OF became permanently washed up and his skills have severely declined? Doesn't make sense to me.

He severely struggled the first two months of 2005 and then he was off and running. He's headed for the same type of run for the 2nd half in my opinion. My point is the slump could make him pretty affordable vs. the alternatives that will be out there on the market. Since we don't really have any OF prospects we can count on...I think he might be the most cost effective option available vs. the FA market in the off season.

Matlock
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
After watching Dye hit that HR last night, his value may already be on the rise.

Fred Manrique
07-13-2007, 12:47 PM

How does this guy not have "banned" next to his name yet?

Boondock Saint
07-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Holy freaking God. "Dye is a piece of crap." "Oh, wait, he hit a homer!!! He's awesome again!!!"

I've never used the ignore function before, but there's a first for everything. Congratulations.

RowanDye
07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
After watching Dye hit that HR last night, his value may already be on the rise.

One or two more of those and we could probably trade him straight up for Punto, eh?

Matlock
07-14-2007, 03:58 AM
I think after tonights 2-0 loss, Dye was to blame the most striking out 2 times in the critical clutch. I'm so pissed I'd designate him for assignment.

soxfan13
07-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I think after tonights 2-0 loss, Dye was to blame the most striking out 2 times in the critical clutch. I'm so pissed I'd designate him for assignment.

You should designate yourself for assignment!!!!!!

Bill Naharodny
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
So despite his track record and his performance over two years with the team..you believe that between last October and this season, a 33 year old OF became permanently washed up and his skills have severely declined? Doesn't make sense to me.

He severely struggled the first two months of 2005 and then he was off and running. He's headed for the same type of run for the 2nd half in my opinion. My point is the slump could make him pretty affordable vs. the alternatives that will be out there on the market. Since we don't really have any OF prospects we can count on...I think he might be the most cost effective option available vs. the FA market in the off season.

The problem with Dye is that he's gradually become a pretty bad outfielder. His jumps aren't great, he's slowing down and I can't remember him ever lining up a fly ball properly in order to catch and throw out a runner -- invariably off-balance and back on his heels.

At this point, he looks like a DH or leftfielder, or maybe a first baseman. And in order to play those positions, his bat will have to come back. Not saying it won't -- just saying that I think he's lost his main outfielding skills not suddenly -- but during the last few years we've had him.

Chisoxfn
07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Ya, last year was a fluke....so was 2 years ago when he was named World Series MVP and kicked butt after having a slow start in April/May.

Oh and lets not forget all the other above average seasons he had with the A's/Royals. But ya, the Royals definitely need to get a guy thats going to be a FA at the end of the year (and are going to give up one of there best young players to get him).

Teams that want someone like Dye are teams close to making a world series run, not teams like the Royals. That would be like the White Sox trading Danks for some FA to be so they could finish with 80 wins instead of 75 (either way who cares).

JB98
07-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Ya, last year was a fluke....so was 2 years ago when he was named World Series MVP and kicked butt after having a slow start in April/May.

Oh and lets not forget all the other above average seasons he had with the A's/Royals. But ya, the Royals definitely need to get a guy thats going to be a FA at the end of the year (and are going to give up one of there best young players to get him).

Teams that want someone like Dye are teams close to making a world series run, not teams like the Royals. That would be like the White Sox trading Danks for some FA to be so they could finish with 80 wins instead of 75 (either way who cares).

There's no chance in hell they trade Danks.

lostfan
07-15-2007, 12:57 AM
There's no chance in hell they trade Danks.
That's kind of his point...?

munchman33
07-15-2007, 07:40 AM

I didn't say permanently washed up. But he does qualify as severe risk at the money he'd cost us. At his age, given his injury history, recent injuries, and struggles....yeah. I can't really make something that obvious any clearer to you.

Hitmen77
07-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Article on Dye in today's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/469209,CST-SPT-sside15.article

This shouldn't be a surprise to Dye. I honestly can't imagine a reason why the Sox would want to give him an extension at this point.

RowanDye
07-15-2007, 12:20 PM

Yea, we need more critical clutch guys like Mark Teahan and Nick Punto.

103 screwball
07-15-2007, 12:46 PM
With Ichiro off the market, I'm starting to think bringing Dye back might be the way to go. I can't blame KW for offering arbitration and working on a deal that way. In the off season, KW will be better able to gauge Dye's market value. It's not like the Sox are loaded with outfielders. Dye in left could compensate for his declining defense. His trade value is crap and I have a soft spot for the classy, WS MVP that took less money to come to the Sox.

BainesHOF
07-15-2007, 07:35 PM
With Ichiro off the market, I'm starting to think bringing Dye back might be the way to go. I can't blame KW for offering arbitration and working on a deal that way. In the off season, KW will be better able to gauge Dye's market value. It's not like the Sox are loaded with outfielders. Dye in left could compensate for his declining defense. His trade value is crap and I have a soft spot for the classy, WS MVP that took less money to come to the Sox.

I was thinking the same thing today. We have so many holes so bringing back Dye at a reasonable price may not be such a bad idea. I like the idea of putting him in left field.

Foulke You
07-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm warming up to bringing back Dye too. I think this year's offensive performance is an anomaly mostly brought on due to the pain in his knee and quad. We all saw what a healthy Jermaine Dye can do last year. We have holes in CF and LF. If you lose Dye, you need to replace all 3 outfielders by 2008. To ask KW to completely replace that entire outfield in one fell swoop might be asking too much. Dye's poor performance in '07 might actually help us negotiate a cheaper contract for him too.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2007, 08:31 PM
With Ichiro off the market, I'm starting to think bringing Dye back might be the way to go.

I was thinking the same thing today. We have so many holes so bringing back Dye at a reasonable price not be such a bad idea. I like the idea of putting him in left field.

I'm warming up to bringing back Dye too.... Dye's poor performance in '07 might actually help us negotiate a cheaper contract for him too.

I think I'd support bringing back Dye for a reasonable price to play left field.

I'd have him DH against LHP to rest Thome, to protect the health and productivity of both.

GoSox2K3
07-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing today. We have so many holes so bringing back Dye at a reasonable price not be such a bad idea. I like the idea of putting him in left field.

Any chance the Sox trade Dye now and then try to re-sign him as a free agent during the offseason if his value is still low?

WhiteSox5187
07-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Any chance the Sox trade Dye now and then try to re-sign him as a free agent during the offseason if his value is still low?
I doubt it...I think that JD is hurting so if you can get him dirt cheap (like we did in '05) and he comes back healthy (like he did in '05) the potential upside is enormous! But the fact is, he's two years older now than he was in '05 and it sounds like it's his knee that's bother him, the one shattered in Oakland and it took him a year to recover from that...I'm not so sure. If the price is right, yea, I'd say take a risk because there isn't anyone else really.

soxinem1
07-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Wanting to 'dump' Dye and refer to him as garbage is pretty classless. Sure, he's not having a great season, but to degrade the guy is a lot dumber than thinking the Royals would fall for such a silly proposal.

They might as well throw in Dotel, Soria, Greinke, and Gobble too, and we'll throw in another couple ex-Royals, MacDougal and Sisco.

If he was tradeable, sure, might as well explore it, but right now, bringing Dye back next year does not sound like a bad idea, if the price is right.

How come so many people here trash players so harshly after one bad half season?

Honestly, I think Dye is hurt.

Foulke You
07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
He absolutely is hurt. I think he has been from day 1 of this season. The knee has been bothering him all year which required a cortisone injection to ease the pain. He is playing through a strained quad that could "blow" at any time. (Dye's words, not mine) Also, anyone who watched J.D. play defense in '05 and '06 can tell you he has about 60-70% of the range he used to have. He can't leg out those line drive catches as much as he used to and he just looks gimpy when running in on a flyball. If the team was healthier, I think there would have been a good chance Dye would have been on the DL this year. I give him credit for gutting it out in a contract year. If J.D. gets healthy, he can carry a ball club as we saw in '06. The Sox have to decide whether to roll the dice on Dye staying healthy for '08 and beyond or whether to cut ties and get younger. Personally, I hope they don't trade him just for the sake of trading him.

oeo
07-16-2007, 05:03 PM

He has admitted that he's hurt, but he's playing through it. Thome is hurt, Crede was playing through pain all year (at one point said he couldn't feel his legs) as well...but since we have virtually no help, these guys are trying to fight through it. That's why when people say that 'they don't care,' it irks me...they definitely care.

Grzegorz
07-16-2007, 09:39 PM
I think I'd support bringing back Dye for a reasonable price to play left field.

I'd have him DH against LHP to rest Thome, to protect the health and productivity of both.

I do not want to see a middle of the lineup featuring Dye, Konerko, Thome, AJ, etc...

It take too many hits to score runs; these guys are too slow.

BTW, I keep Konerko and AJ of the bunch. The others are to be traded.

"Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late." - Branch Rickey

delben91
07-18-2007, 09:55 PM
According to Sports Illustrated's Jon Heyman (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/07/18/scoop.wednesday/index.html), lots of suitors are out there for JD.

ilsox7
07-18-2007, 10:03 PM
According to Sports Illustrated's Jon Heyman (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/07/18/scoop.wednesday/index.html), lots of suitors are out there for JD.

Man I hope some team gets desperate. JD really disappointed me this year and I do not mean from a production standpoint. I respected him a LOT coming into this year, but his actions have made me think twice about that.

The Immigrant
07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
JD really disappointed me this year and I do not mean from a production standpoint.

Anything in particular or just the general moping over his contract situation?

ilsox7
07-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Anything in particular or just the general moping over his contract situation?

IMO, JD has been mentally checked out for a while. He is continuously throwing to the wrong bases, gives away ABs, and has been caught on the bases a few times. Combined with his comments about using the ASB to clear one or two things from his mind and all of a sudden he comes back hitting, it just pisses me off that he couldn't clear those "one of two things" earlier in the year. Not add the sulking and it all adds up. Then again, it probably weighs pretty hard on someone when they see upwards of $50MM vanish before their very eyes.

Flight #24
07-19-2007, 01:04 PM
If teams aren't willing to feal top prospects for Jermaine, I wonder if it'd be worth taking a shot at Coco Crisp? He's 1.5 years removed from some pretty good offensive stats, he can play LF or CF, he's got some speed, and he's riding a hot streak, having hit .235 - .224 - .330 - .286 from Apr-Jul. And he makes about $5-7M the next 2 years, so it's a potential Dye-like deal but for a CF.

Last year he struggled with a finger injury, IIRC. If for whatever reason that was impacting his performance then it could be a decent deal for the Sox and be in line with the "buying" that Kenny's been talking about.

I'd prefer prospects, but if the choice is Crisp or B-level guys (or keep Jermaine for the comp picks), I could see Kenny making that kind of move.

southsideirish71
07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
If we could get Hu away from the Dodgers it would solve a lot of long term problems. He has a good glove, plays SS, and has been tearing it up including a futures MVP performance. He or Escobar should be our number 1 targets. Middle infielders are difficult to get and both guys have other guys sitting in front of them. Hu has Furcal, and Escobar has Renteria.

Either of them would help the team out, and we could send Uribe away.

russ99
07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
If teams aren't willing to feal top prospects for Jermaine, I wonder if it'd be worth taking a shot at Coco Crisp? He's 1.5 years removed from some pretty good offensive stats, he can play LF or CF, he's got some speed, and he's riding a hot streak, having hit .235 - .224 - .330 - .286 from Apr-Jul. And he makes about $5-7M the next 2 years, so it's a potential Dye-like deal but for a CF.

Last year he struggled with a finger injury, IIRC. If for whatever reason that was impacting his performance then it could be a decent deal for the Sox and be in line with the "buying" that Kenny's been talking about.

I'd prefer prospects, but if the choice is Crisp or B-level guys (or keep Jermaine for the comp picks), I could see Kenny making that kind of move.

I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Crisp for Dye, but not straight up. When you deal, you never deal for much lesser value. The comp picks (still very high) are probably a better value than a year or two of Crisp right now, but I understand the mentality that the Sox should preferably get some players before the deadline that can step into the majors.

If the Red Sox would toss us a another good mid-infield or pitching prospect (not a top guy) I'd do it.

With the demand out there right now for Jermaine, Kenny will likely get even better return, especially if he waits to a day or so before the deadline to make the deal.

RCWHITESOX
07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
I would be shocked to see them trade Pie, and there is no way that it would be for Dye. Pie is a 5-tool player with a very high ceiling. He's extremely young.

Still, Dye would be a nice pickup for a team. It's tough to find a guy with 35+ HR potential, and I would imagine Kenny knows this, and is waiting for a team to get desperate.

Gee the last time I looked the Flubs haven't been in the World Series since 1945 . If I were them I'm going for the whole enchilada and Pie isn't going to stand in my way. We better pray the flubs don't get in the World Series or will be an afterthought for some time to come.