PDA

View Full Version : The rich get richer................

Fenway
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
poor A-Rod

Alex Rodriguez is assured of soon becoming the first-ever $30 million-a-year baseball player. His agent, Scott Boras, yesterday told The Post that even if Rodriguez does not opt out of his contract after the season, stipulations exist in the pact that all but guarantee that Rodriguez's salary will climb to a minimum of $32 million for both the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122007/sports/yankees/30_something_yankees_joelsherman_maxine_shen.htm

eriqjaffe
07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
As I suspected (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1630980&postcount=21).

Fenway
07-12-2007, 09:17 AM
so if he opts out the bidding STARTS at $32 million :o:

I think we can rule out the White Sox right now

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, there goes my explanation for Kenn'y puzzling moves this past offseason. Ichiro's off the market and ARods out of reach, please someone tell me his big plan hasn't been to throw $$$ at Torii Hunter........:o:

voodoochile
07-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Other than the Yankees what team can afford that much money for one player? This isn't basketball where a superstar being one of only 5 guys playing (and playing roughly 17% of the total available minutes) can make a huge impact on the game. AL players produce at best 10% of their teams playing time with the NL closer to 11%.

I still don't think ARod opts out unless he really wants out of NY. To do that, he will have to take a paycut from his current pay level, IMO and the $30M/season is simply a pipe dream unless he stays with the Yankees.

I think a lot of teams look at what happened to the Rangers when they signed him and realize they would be in the same boat. While several teams could probably afford up to $25M/season, I just don't see the bidding going higher.

Mr. White Sox
07-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, there goes my explanation for Kenn'y puzzling moves this past offseason. Ichiro's off the market and ARods out of reach, please someone tell me his big plan hasn't been to throw $$$ at Torii Hunter........:o:

His big plan has to be Eric Byrnes ...
Stay grindy, folks!

Fenway
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Other than the Yankees what team can afford that much money for one player?

Boston.

And with the the disasters the Red Sox have had at SS.....and if Mike Lowell leaves at 3B, Boston just might make a run

voodoochile
07-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Boston.

And with the the disasters the Red Sox have had at SS.....and if Mike Lowell leaves at 3B, Boston just might make a run

You really believe the Red Sox can afford that much money for one guy? I don't unless they are willing to take the payroll up over $200M long term.

The Immigrant
07-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Stay grindy, folks!

Another low OBP guy who can't hit lefties - it's a match made in heaven.

Fenway
07-12-2007, 09:48 AM
You really believe the Red Sox can afford that much money for one guy? I don't unless they are willing to take the payroll up over $200M long term.

Especially with the NESN money Boston can do it. Hell they paid 51 million just to be allowed to talk to Dice-K.

I think a lot depends on how this season plays out for them. They have to fix this shortstop situation.

Short story goes on and on, and on...
(http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=1010838)By Tony Massarotti
The Bermuda Triangle of baseball is the smallest of areas, a patch of dirt and clay between second and third bases at the oldest stadium in the major leagues. That is where the shortstop plays. And it is where his talents mysteriously disappear. When...

kravdog
07-12-2007, 10:15 AM
As far as "big name" free agents, I would have to think at this point Kenny is going to go out and get either Andruw Jones (+coming off a very poor year / - Boras client) or Rowand (only w/ a W.Sox discount / also, "big name" only applies to ARow to some on this board)

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I saw a report that the BloSawx have ~$30M coming off the books after 2007 in Schilling, Clement, Lowell. Obviously they would probably have some raises pending, but that's a ton of cash that they could use to throw at ARod.

But I doubt he'd go there. If he doesn't want to be in NY and opts out, I don't see him heading just a few miles away to the same/similar pressure cooker in Boston. He'll go to LA, SEA, or CHI or something like that.

itsnotrequired
07-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I saw a report that the BloSawx have ~$30M coming off the books after 2007 in Schilling, Clement, Lowell. Obviously they would probably have some raises pending, but that's a ton of cash that they could use to throw at ARod.

Boston pay increases for 2008:

$3.5 million: Beckett
$2 million: Ramirez, Matsuzaka
$1.25 million: Crisp
$1 million: Lugo
$500k: Okajima

There is another $750k if they pick up Tavarez's option.

So they are on the books for $10.25 million in increases ($11 million if they pick up Tavarez).

SluggersAway
07-12-2007, 04:25 PM
From the New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122007/sports/yankees/30_something_yankees_joelsherman_maxine_shen.htm):

Alex Rodriguez is assured of soon becoming the first-ever $30 million-a-year baseball player. His agent, Scott Boras, yesterday told The Post that even if Rodriguez does not opt out of his contract after the season, stipulations exist in the pact that all but guarantee that Rodriguez's salary will climb to a minimum of $32 million for both the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

rocky biddle
07-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Boston.

Remember the good 'ol days when there was only one evil empire?

dakuda
07-12-2007, 08:40 PM

Is the rumored and proposed extension actually signed? I have not heard that it is a done deal....

chisoxmike
07-12-2007, 09:20 PM
There is no player worth that much money.

Gavin
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I just don't get it... does A-Rod really bring more benefits than the next best alternative?

A-Rod at 30 mil = what, 40 HR, 120 RBI

next alternative:
Joe Schmoe, anywhere from 10-25 HR, 70-100 RBI at 8-15 mil...

not counting ticket sales/"hats", that is... but that's 15 million dollars less you'd have to bring in in that aspect

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 01:28 AM
They have to fix this shortstop situation.

Join the club.

SBSoxFan
07-13-2007, 05:41 AM
I heard this morning on ESPN 1000 that ARod has said "no thank you" to a contract extension, and that Boras expects him to get $30 M.

The Racehorse
07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Stay grindy, folks!

Another low OBP guy who can't hit lefties - it's a match made in heaven.

Looks like he wants to stay in 'Zona...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6558/news

Flight #24
07-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Looks like he wants to stay in 'Zona...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6558/news

IIRC Zona has a slew of young stud OFs so I'd be surprised if they'd sign him to a long-term deal unless it was cheap enough that they could afford to platoon him or make him a 4th OF. Now a 1-3yr deal they'd probably jump on figuring that they'd use the time to season and work in the younger players.