PDA

View Full Version : Best Move of the Offseason revisited

santo=dorf
07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I asked this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85605)right before the season started, and some people felt it was too early to ask.
Let's have a totally biased, rose-colored glasses view of each move at the halfway point of this season:

John Danks, Nick Masset and Jacob Rasner for Brandon McCarthy and David Paisano: Danks has better numbers than Brandon, who has been injured.

Signing Toby Hall: He got hurt right before the season. Isn't 100% healthy

Locking up MacDougal: He's been hurt this year, but his contract is very affordable for the next 2 years.

Neal Cotts for David Aardsma: Cotts is stinking it up in AAA, converted back to a starter. Aardsma was one of the best relievers in April including an appearance where he struck out the side after inheriting the bases loaded.

Andy Sisco for Ross Gload: We have Andy under control for a few more years, Gload has been hurt for most of the season and numbers aren't that good.

Freddy Garcia for Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd: Freddy has been hurt all year, Gio is pitching well, Floyd is a former top pick.

Vazquez 3 year extension: He's coming off two consecutive complete games. 3.65 ERA, 1.07 WHIP, 4.15 K/BB

Other: ????

So at this point of the season, what has been the best offseason move?

Luke
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I thought the Hall signing was really good. I always like his defense and thought he called a decent game. With his injury though, it seems like teams are running on him at will.

I suppose Danks and Masset for McCarthy wins by default for me.

chisoxmike
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I dont know why I voted for the Cotts trade in the first poll a while back. I think becuase I was just happy to see Cotts go, I wasn't a big fan of the bullpen moves in the offseason.

I was iffy about the McCarthy trade, even though I thought Brandon was a tad overrated, but as of now, thats been the only move that has panned out. Maybe Gavin Floyd and Gio will contribute soon. Hopefully. From what I hear, Gio is the real deal.

The Toby Hall signing is a case of bad luck.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
The McCarthy trade gave us an arm that is looking like will be a keeper. He's been really working hard at being what is a decent fifth starter.

The Dude
07-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I dont know why I voted for the Cotts trade in the first poll a while back. I think becuase I was just happy to see Cotts go, I wasn't a big fan of the bullpen moves in the offseason.

I was iffy about the McCarthy trade, even though I thought Brandon was a tad overrated, but as of now, thats been the only move that has panned out. Maybe Gavin Floyd and Gio will contribute soon. Hopefully. From what I hear, Gio is the real deal.

The Toby Hall signing is a case of bad luck.

I thought you would've voted for the Vazquez extension!:redneck

whitesoxfan
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
The McCarthy trade.

Tragg
07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
I think Danks and McCarthy will both be good. At worst, it will work out even for us. (but probably a big winner).

Either Gio or Floyd will turn into something, so that will be a plus

I'm not so bearish on Vasquez for some reason. Not a bad signing.

I think the rest of them will be the old "no help for either team" variety.

champagne030
07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I voted the McCarthy trade and I was very against it at the time because I thought it hurt our chances of the playoffs in '07....Turns out the least of our worries. I knew that Danks had a higher ceiling, but I didn't think he would help any earlier than the 2nd half of the season and I didn't want to see Floyd during the first half. Danks surprised both Kenny and I. Neither the Sox or I expected him to start the season in Chicago.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Danks, without question. In fact, I can't think of a single thread in which any WSI member has criticized his performance. That alone speaks volumes.

JB98
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
The McCarthy deal. It's a no-brainer. People hated it at the time. I was in wait-and-see mode. Danks looks like a keeper. Even if McCarthy does well, at worst it's a wash for us. We got two other arms in the deal that could contribute at some point.

jabrch
07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
In the Garcia trade we gave up a guy who made 10mm this year and delivered nothing. Even if we got NOTHING, that was a great deal. The fact that we got Gio Gonzalez makes it better.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
The McCarthy deal. It's a no-brainer. People hated it at the time. I was in wait-and-see mode. Danks looks like a keeper. Even if McCarthy does well, at worst it's a wash for us. We got two other arms in the deal that could contribute at some point.

I didn't hate it at the time - I liked it immediately once I heard the Sox were getting Danks.

Moreover, McCarthy for Danks straight up would be a win for the Sox because McCarthy is a flyball pitcher.

Finally, we knew the Sox would win this deal simply because Texas NEVER makes the right decision on pitching, other than signing Nolan Ryan.
:rolleyes:

soxinem1
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I didn't hate it at the time - I liked it immediately once I heard the Sox were getting Danks.

Moreover, McCarthy for Danks straight up would be a win for the Sox because McCarthy is a flyball pitcher.

Finally, we knew the Sox would win this deal simply because Texas NEVER makes the right decision on pitching, other than signing Nolan Ryan.
:rolleyes:

While I like Danks and agree with your TEX assessment, McCarthy and Danks are both quite the fly ball type, in fact very much the flyball type. Danks is just pitching better, while it appears the dry Texas air is flattening out Brandon's curveball.

Mohoney
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I guess I'll call it a tie between the McCarthy trade and the Vazquez extension.

These moves, in addition to the Buehrle extension, give us a good rotation to retool around for next year and 2009.

It's just too bad that this horrid bullpen is probably going to take at least 2 years to rebuild.