PDA

View Full Version : Any chance the Sox trade Contreras?

Matlock
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
He is getting old, he might even be as old as I am. Carl Crawford for Contreras would really turn this team around. Another win win for both team. Kenny, get this done!

Luke
07-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe they should throw in Kazmir

Gammons Peter
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, sounds good. Maybe we can get the Rays to throw in a prospect or two.

Never post here again

Matlock
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Throw in Dye and I think we have one hell of a deal!

chisoxmike
07-11-2007, 02:26 PM
He is getting old, he might even be as old as I am. Carl Crawford for Contreras would really turn this team around. Another win win for both team. Kenny, get this done!

On Playstation that may work.

The Devil Rays are stupid, not that stupid.

sox1970
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Contreras is 9-19, with 5.28 ERA over his last 31 starts. The Sox would be lucky just to get rid of the salary.

chaerulez
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Upton, Crawford, Shields, and the rights to David Price for Contreras and Dye sound fair to me. But if that doesn't work out we should just see if the Blue Jays will trade Rios for Contreras. Or maybe the Rockies will trade Holliday.

asboog
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
I think you forgot to have them throw in BJ Upton and Delmon Young too.

Boondock Saint
07-11-2007, 02:40 PM

At least! JD is at least worth their whole farm system...

oeo
07-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Contreras is 9-19, with 5.28 ERA over his last 31 starts. The Sox would be lucky just to get rid of the salary.

No, they will be able to get rid of his salary...I don't think they'll be 'lucky' to do so. He could be very good in the National League.

Matlock
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Upton, Crawford, Shields, and the rights to David Price for Contreras and Dye sound fair to me. But if that doesn't work out we should just see if the Blue Jays will trade Rios for Contreras. Or maybe the Rockies will trade Holliday.

Aren't the Rockies interesting in a proven starting pitcher. This deal has smiles written all over it!

Chicken Dinner
07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
At this point, I don't even think Seattle would go even up with Weaver.

PatK
07-11-2007, 03:45 PM

I don't think the game would let you make that trade.

getonbckthr
07-11-2007, 03:49 PM
What are you smoking? How does this help TBay? I am dying to know.

I think you forgot what teal is.

WS in 05
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
What are you smoking? How does this help TBay? I am dying to know.

I think you forgot what teal is.

I think this there medium between teal and deep pink.....

getonbckthr
07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I think this there medium between teal and deep pink.....
Ahhh perhaps. I just usually do this.

twsoxfan5
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Never post here again

As ridiculous as the post is I think you are being a little harsh.

Frontman
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

:?:

*Frontman's fingers hang over the keys for minutes, trying to figure out what to say in response.*

Sure, like this will happen.

Scary thing is, the Devil Rays can't afford to take on Contreras' salary. They get nowhere near the attendance needed.

VenturaFan23
07-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Kenny should be fired if he doesn't make this deal!

A. Cavatica
07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Why would we trade our best hitter?

The Dude
07-11-2007, 08:22 PM

If you turn off the trade rejection option for the D-rays front office, we can have a deal!:redneck

The Dude
07-11-2007, 08:25 PM

I doubt we could get Crawford if we threw a package of Jose, Dye, Uribe, $$$, and a mid-level prospect! And that is besides the fact that they have no use for aging players.

Tragg
07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
The suggested trade is silly, but the question is a good one. Can we trade Contreras?
To do so, we'll probably have to send cash. Will we do that? We're usually the recipient.

DrewSox56
07-11-2007, 09:03 PM
The suggested trade is silly, but the question is a good one. Can we trade Contreras?
To do so, we'll probably have to send cash. Will we do that? We're usually the recipient.

Keeping it in the Tampa Bay theme, what about Jose and Cash for Baldelli, and a top prospect?

A bench player in Baldelli (and I emphasize bench due to his propensity for injury) that can actually hit AND play CF would be very valuable. And maybe he becomes something reliable... Especially with Ozuna and Erstad down, Mack unable to play CF worth a ****, and the unpolished minor leaguers we've been marching out to fill these holes with their inconsistent hitting...

WhiteSox5187
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I just tried that deal on Playstation, the game isn't even dumb enough to make it...I think we could trade Jose for a couple of prospects to some NL team, where he probably would be descent. If he's good in his next couple of starts the price for him will go up. Hopefully he has a bit a of a second half turn around, pitches well in July and then we can send him to the Mets.

DrewSox56
07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I just tried that deal on Playstation, the game isn't even dumb enough to make it...I think we could trade Jose for a couple of prospects to some NL team, where he probably would be descent. If he's good in his next couple of starts the price for him will go up. Hopefully he has a bit a of a second half turn around, pitches well in July and then we can send him to the Mets.

Oh, well if the great minds at 2K sports are the sound board... :rolleyes:

I was just trying to give the thread a chance with the Tampa Bay thing...

Mets are looking hard at any proven SP and are probably the best option to dump Jose for us, (which I am all for, if you can't tell :redneck )

Who would you be looking for in return? Milledge? What else can/would they give up and still manage their tiny, ever-diminishing foothold? How dumb do you think Omar is?

Taliesinrk
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM

since you have so much extra time on your hands, i need someone to help me fill out med school apps. please let me know when you'll be assisting..

oeo
07-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Keeping it in the Tampa Bay theme, what about Jose and Cash for Baldelli, and a top prospect?

A bench player in Baldelli (and I emphasize bench due to his propensity for injury) that can actually hit AND play CF would be very valuable. And maybe he becomes something reliable... Especially with Ozuna and Erstad down, Mack unable to play CF worth a ****, and the unpolished minor leaguers we've been marching out to fill these holes with their inconsistent hitting...

Okay, first of all, why would the D'Rays even want Contreras? You want to trade with the Devil Rays for their younger guys, your going to have to throw your own younger guys to them. Think Gio, Masset, Broadway, etc.; not a 50-year-old guy on the decline. If Contreras is traded, it will be to a team like the Mets who are on their way to the postseason and are desperate for a starter.

Second...why do we want Baldelli? He can't stay healthy...we've got some of those. I've never been a big fan of the Baldelli love around here, and I'm not about to start now since he's continued being completely injury plagued his entire career. And he was terrible in the games that he did play in earlier this year.

That will be totally dependent on what we get in return. If we're just looking to dump his salary (which is all I want), then we won't get much in return...at the same time, he's gone and not our problem anymore.

areilly
07-12-2007, 12:42 AM

Never post here again

I don't know why, Gammons, but for some reason I can't stop laughing at this post.

Ridiculously harsh, but strangely hilarious.

DrewSox56
07-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Okay, first of all, why would the D'Rays even want Contreras?

They have 2 SPs. None with experience. Post season? Nope. + wins? Nope.

In short - they need a veteran. EVERY team who has ever won needs a veteran and this one has actually got the ring to boot.

That's why.

You want to trade with the Devil Rays for their younger guys, your going to have to throw your own younger guys to them. Wait right there... why? Was Canseco a younger guy? Boggs? It's the D-Rays, not the Marlins. I could sell them this ****, I'm selling...

Think Gio, Masset, Broadway, etc.; not a 50-year-old guy on the decline. If Contreras is traded, it will be to a team like the Mets who are on their way to the postseason and are desperate for a starter.
Yeah, I know. Said that, actually. And I feel that would be best for us too, dealing with them.

Second...why do we want Baldelli? He can't stay healthy...we've got some of those. I've never been a big fan of the Baldelli love around here, and I'm not about to start now since he's continued being completely injury plagued his entire career. And he was terrible in the games that he did play in earlier this year.

We don't. I started off in this thread by saying I will try to stay in the Tampa Bay theme and talk about trades... Didn't mean anything other than possibilities with the team it started with.... there......silly... If I HAVE to deal Contreras to Tampa Bay, that would be what I want...

Read thoroughly.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2007, 01:24 AM
since you have so much extra time on your hands, i need someone to help me fill out med school apps. please let me know when you'll be assisting..
Extra time? No, I can't squeeze you in between all the Playstation I play.

I seriously feel the need to defend myself for that, it's not like I sit and play it everyday. I usually play an hour a week because I get bored, I read this post and figured "****, might as well try it."

Anyways, I'm not so familiar with the Mets farm system and what we can get for him. I really like John Maine but Omar would be an idiot to give him up for Jose though...I'm not sure. I have a friend who is a big Mets fan and said he wouldn't give up anyone worth a damn for Jose. Especially since they have Pedro coming back soon and that might fill their need for pitching...I'm not sure though.

DrewSox56
07-12-2007, 01:33 AM

I seriously feel the need to defend myself for that, it's not like I sit and play it everyday. I usually play an hour a week because I get bored, I read this post and figured "****, might as well try it."

Anyways, I'm not so familiar with the Mets farm system and what we can get for him. I really like John Maine but Omar would be an idiot to give him up for Jose though...I'm not sure. I have a friend who is a big Mets fan and said he wouldn't give up anyone worth a damn for Jose. Especially since they have Pedro coming back soon and that might fill their need for pitching...I'm not sure though.

Pedro fills 2 things:

record books
memories

He's never coming back. Boston knew it when they adios. Everyone listened to ESPN instead of just going - holy ****: This guy is almost one of the best pitchers EVER!!!! Why in the world is he available????

Stupid ****ing Mets.

oeo
07-12-2007, 02:03 AM
They have 2 SPs. None with experience. Post season? Nope. + wins? Nope.

In short - they need a veteran. EVERY team who has ever won needs a veteran and this one has actually got the ring to boot.

That's why.

Wait right there... why? Was Canseco a younger guy? Boggs? It's the D-Rays, not the Marlins. I could sell them this ****, I'm selling...

Yeah, I know. Said that, actually. And I feel that would be best for us too, dealing with them.

We don't. I started off in this thread by saying I will try to stay in the Tampa Bay theme and talk about trades... Didn't mean anything other than possibilities with the team it started with.... there......silly... If I HAVE to deal Contreras to Tampa Bay, that would be what I want...

Read thoroughly.

The Devil Rays have said many times that they want young, major league ready starting pitching. Contreras is an aging, declining veteran. There is no way the Devil Rays would take him on.

And I know you said you were just sticking with the 'theme,' but no way they would take Contreras.

chaerulez
07-12-2007, 10:29 AM

I don't even understand this post. How does testing out a trade on a video game mean you have "so much extra time"? Because you're going to med school you don't have any free time? But you have time to post on a White Sox fan board? I don't know what kind of education you've been receiving, but I think you should spend some time working on your grammar for that writing portion of the MCAT's...

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, the topic is silly because the Rays would have no interest in Contreras, not even if we agreed to pay 100 percent of his salary. They know they aren't making the playoffs this year, so they would rather try out young arms than have some aging guy finish his career there. I've heard that the Mets are basically offering Milledge to anyone who'll take him. He has fallen off pretty big. He's in AA for some reason now, after spending the majority of the time in AAA last year. The Mets generally aren't happy with his attitude and consider him immature. He recorded a rap song that they didn't like and supposely got an underage girl pregant. I think Contreras for Milledge might be worth the risk. He isn't likely going to be the superstar that he originally was projected to be, but I think he could still be an everyday player that hits .280 with a OBP of .350 and knocks out 20 to 25 HRs with the same amount of steals. Defense is his biggest question though. Yes, he has character issues but he hasn't done anything illegal yet like Elijah Dukes. Maybe I just really want Jose gone...

Matlock
07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Do you think we could get Texas to give us back McCarthy for Contreras? I know BMac is not having a good year, but with Coop could get him back to cy form for next season.

Mickster
07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Do you think we could get Texas to give us back McCarthy for Contreras? I know Fingernails on a blackboard is not having a good year, but with Coop could get him back to cy form for next season.

:D: Thanks, folks. He'll be here all week. Try the fish!

Luke
07-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Do you think we could get Texas to give us back McCarthy for Contreras? I know Fingernails on a blackboard is not having a good year, but with Coop could get him back to cy form for next season.

Not a chance. You need to lower your expectations of what Contreras will bring in a trade.

Taliesinrk
07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

ah hell.. you dont need to defend yourself, i was just joking. i thought it was funny that someone took the initiative, that's all

Taliesinrk
07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't even understand this post. How does testing out a trade on a video game mean you have "so much extra time"? Because you're going to med school you don't have any free time? But you have time to post on a White Sox fan board? I don't know what kind of education you've been receiving, but I think you should spend some time working on your grammar for that writing portion of the MCAT's...

whoa whoa.. alright, sorry, it was late and i was trying to add some humor into a thread in which everyone jumped on the OP about (granted, the idea was ridiculous). bad joke i guess.. by no means was it intended to infer anything about going to med school - i was merely doing applications at the time i read the post.

thomas35forever
07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Sure. Then maybe we can bring Sirotka out of retirement and Coop will fix him.

Matlock
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Sure. Then maybe we can bring Sirotka out of retirement and Coop will fix him.

Sirotka was injured, you turd.

thomas35forever
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Sirotka was injured, you turd.
Exactly my point. I'm saying this is as likely to happen as Contreras is to be traded to Texas for B-Mac.

SoxSpeed22
07-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Exactly my point. I'm saying this is as likely to happen as Contreras is to be traded to Texas for Fingernails on a blackboard.The ignore function is your friend.

AZChiSoxFan
07-12-2007, 01:37 PM

:rolleyes:

AZChiSoxFan
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Never post here again

:rolling: I love it when people get ripped here. As long as it's not me getting ripped.

southside rocks
07-12-2007, 01:41 PM

:rolling::rolling:

kidmccarthy
07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Check out this link at the official home page.

link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cws)

I would think if he is not probable, he is getting moved, makes sense about Haeger getting the call as well.

We shall see....

rdivaldi
07-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Good G-d, time to bring Dizzy out....

:threadblows:

AZChiSoxFan
07-12-2007, 01:45 PM

*Frontman's fingers hang over the keys for minutes, trying to figure out what to say in response.*

Sorry folks, but this thread just has me rolling in laughter. I guess I'm sick but I love it when someone posts some totally absurd, ridiculous trade suggestion and it's followed up by three pages of posts of people totally ripping the guy.

so, as strange as it sounds, I have to say:

:threadrules:

AZChiSoxFan
07-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't know why, Gammons, but for some reason I can't stop laughing at this post.

Ridiculously harsh, but strangely hilarious.

Sweet, I've found a kindred spirit!!! I can't stop laughing either.

itsnotrequired
07-12-2007, 01:51 PM
This thread needs Horsemaster.

jenn2080
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I feel like this guy Matlock has a case of the White Sox Randy.

redsand22
07-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Back to Cy form? When was McCarthy ever even considered near Cy form?

Frontman
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Sorry folks, but this thread just has me rolling in laughter. I guess I'm sick but I love it when someone posts some totally absurd, ridiculous trade suggestion and it's followed up by three pages of posts of people totally ripping the guy.

I'm not totally ripping the guy, I just wonder why he would settle for Carl Crawford in Tampa. I mean, if the Devil Rays would part with the only All Star they got, certainly the Yankees would part with both A-Rod and Matsui for Contreras.

jenn2080
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Back to Cy form? When was McCarthy ever even considered near Cy form?

Holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be high dude. You are off your rocker. You did not seriously say Cy young and Brandon in the same sentence? I am really hoping that you are just goofing around with everyone. You really cannot think that Brandon is excuse me :rolling: Cy material.

I really want to put this cat on ignore, but it is find of funny.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Pedro fills 2 things:

record books
memories

He's never coming back. Boston knew it when they adios. Everyone listened to ESPN instead of just going - holy ****: This guy is almost one of the best pitchers EVER!!!! Why in the world is he available????

Stupid ****ing Mets.
Well, Pedro is not going to be back to his 1999 form when he comes back, of course, but when he comes back (and he WILL come back) he can still be a good NL pitcher that will help the Mets contribute. The potential upside on him is huge and it would be like they landed him in a trade. That's the kind of impact he'd have. They still might want a pitcher to be on the safe side, and I think Jose would be decent in the NL and reunting him with El Duque could help him...but my point was it's not a pressing need for the Mets right now. Hopefully Jose will go out there and throw a couple of good games raise the trade interest in him and he'll be gone to the Mets or whoever else wants him. You can never have enough pitching and if Jose throws a good couple of outtings there will be some team in the thick of a race that is desperate enough to have him.

Jerko
07-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I wonder who Matlock was last time he got banned? Calling people turds on his second day here? :rolleyes:

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Check out this link at the official home page.

link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cws)

I would think if he is not probable, he is getting moved, makes sense about Haeger getting the call as well.

We shall see....
Interesting....

Thursday: Garland
Friday: Buehrle
Saturday: Vazquez
Sunday: Danks
Monday: Danks

What a steal, McCarthy for a good looking rookie who can start on consecutive days!!!! Brilliant!

salty99
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Contreras for Anthony reyes and Rick Ankiel. GET IT DONE KENNY!

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Contreras for Milledge. If they want, throw in Terrero or Owens. Or if they're not going to give him another chance, just include Anderson if it'll get it done.

sox1970
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Contreras and cash to anyone that will take him, for a low A-player that will never see the majors.

Gammons Peter
07-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I wonder who Matlock was last time he got banned? Calling people turds on his second day here? :rolleyes:

He's banned already?
good

Jerko
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
He's banned already?
good

He's not banned now but I bet he was once before with the way he's acting. Boyer sucks, Dye sucks, Rowand is the gateway to multiple championships, etc.

Gammons Peter
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
It's ridiculous that he's been here 1 day and is a "regular"

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2007, 02:44 PM
It's ridiculous that he's been here 1 day and is a "regular"
That "status" is based solely on the number of posts, and Matlock came out of the gate smokin'.

Gammons Peter
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
That "status" is based solely on the number of posts, and Matlock came out of the gate smokin'.

I know. I think that the staus should be more "time" based. You should have to be posting here at least a month before you become a regular

AZChiSoxFan
07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Contreras and cash to anyone that will take him, for a low A-player that will never see the majors.

That would be hilarious if KW issued a press release saying the above offer was open to the first team to call.

AZChiSoxFan
07-12-2007, 03:19 PM
whoa whoa.. alright, sorry, it was late and i was trying to add some humor into a thread in which everyone jumped on the OP about (granted, the idea was ridiculous). bad joke i guess.. by no means was it intended to infer anything about going to med school - i was merely doing applications at the time i read the post.

Don't sweat it. I knew where you were coming from and thought your original comment was funny.

wulfy
07-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Literally.

ma-gaga
07-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I just want to see which happens first:

This thread gets to 100 posts.
or
Matlock gets banned.

GoSox2K3
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:EvImYRjY-jjVcM:http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h27/WhatTalent/abraham_simpson-med.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h27/WhatTalent/abraham_simpson-med.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mario-f.de/cms/%3Fp%3D72&h=240&w=320&sz=14&hl=en&start=30&tbnid=EvImYRjY-jjVcM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dabraham%2Bsimpson%26start%3D20%26gbv% 3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)

"I say we call Matlock. Maaaatttttllooccckk!!!!"

Matlock
07-13-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my posts, just trying to help, I guess I should just mine my own mind. Contreras to any team that wants him would be great. Maybe a player auction?

Fred Manrique
07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Wait, we're not getting Carl Crawford anymore? We're just giving him away?

Domeshot17
07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Forget Carl Crawford, the Mets need pitching now!!!! Jose and Uribe for Reyes! Make it Happen Kenny

Flight #24
07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
If only Jose could pull it together for a couple of starts, the Brewers might be a perfect fit. Their lead is slipping and they could be getting desperate. Sheets is hurt (again), and they needed a bit more pitching before that. And they have a ton of young talent.

Contreras for a young position player and/or an arm like Gallardo that could start or relieve would be perfect.....if he could show that he's still got enough left to both help them make the playoffs and be at least semi-productive in the JV circuit that is the NL for another 1-2 years.

Grzegorz
07-15-2007, 07:00 PM
The Brewers are fine; Sheets will be ok.

There is no way the Brewers take on Contreras' salary.

Frater Perdurabo
07-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Contreras for a young position player and/or an arm like Gallardo that could start or relieve would be perfect.....

Help the Sox while hurting the Cubs? Where do I sign?

ZombieRob
07-16-2007, 11:21 AM

Sox may split that salary or take a Chunk of it maybe? Maybe even the Cards takea look him.

soxfan13
07-16-2007, 11:28 AM

The thing is any team that would possibly trade for Contreras is a team that is looking to win this year and the Brewers are definately one of those teams. Now here is the big BUT, the way Contreras is pitching IMO there isnt a team out there that thinks he can help push them over the top.

oeo
07-16-2007, 12:31 PM

Well, we may actually be able to get more. Buster Olney says he's the 'best available' starting pitcher on the market. He said five teams scouted him last night: Cubs, Braves, Marlins, Indians, and Phillies.

-The Indians are out of the question. There's no way Kenny helps out a division rival in the years to come.
-Unless the Cubs overpay (which isn't out of the ordinary), I'm against helping them at all.
-The Braves are the one team I do not think would overpay for him. They always seem very careful in whatever they give up.
-Can the Marlins pay him? Why do they want him? :?:
-Phillies...the team I think has the biggest match. Kenny and Gillick love making moves with each other, and Kenny reportedly has interest in Michael Bourn.

I still believe that Contreras could be very successful in the NL...even if his fastball is down (although Olney said he topped out at 94 last night, so who knows?).

jabrch
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM

He might actually help them draw down there.

Domeshot17
07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, we may actually be able to get more. Buster Olney says he's the 'best available' starting pitcher on the market. He said five teams scouted him last night: Cubs, Braves, Marlins, Indians, and Phillies.

Matlock told me they want to do a Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis for Contreras and Dye swap!

Flight #24
07-16-2007, 01:16 PM

I'd love to have Jose on the Tribe and get some good young talent back in return. IMO he's on his way down and next year and the year after will be a bottom of the rotation guy at best. So he'd get the Sox something decent now and be there for them to hit against in the future! Similarly for the Cubs.

I still think the wildcard in all of this is the Brewers. They have cash/budget questions, but if Sheets is out for any period, they have the young talent and the desperation to make a move. Of course Bourne would be awesome to get from what I hear - exactly what the Sox need, a high-talent, young OF.

If they can get 1 young good OF and 1 young good RP in trades, I think they can relatively quickly rebuild around the rotation and the vet hitters.

palehozenychicty
07-16-2007, 01:17 PM
He might actually help them draw down there.

Exactly. His only real value would be in the NL. I think the Phils or Braves would be a good fit. If you could get them in a bidding war, all the better.

soxfan13
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd love to have Jose on the Tribe and get some good young talent back in return. IMO he's on his way down and next year and the year after will be a bottom of the rotation guy at best. So he'd get the Sox something decent now and be there for them to hit against in the future! Similarly for the Cubs.

I still think the wildcard in all of this is the Brewers. They have cash/budget questions, but if Sheets is out for any period, they have the young talent and the desperation to make a move. Of course Bourne would be awesome to get from what I hear - exactly what the Sox need, a high-talent, young OF.

If they can get 1 young good OF and 1 young good RP in trades, I think they can relatively quickly rebuild around the rotation and the vet hitters.

Exactly. His only real value would be in the NL. I think the Phils or Braves would be a good fit. If you could get them in a bidding war, all the better.

Im having problems here comprehending why alot of people here think Contreras has trade value, he is 9-20 since the break last year and has been showing alot of wear and tear . If any of the teams (as mentioned earlier) do make a trade for him , I dont think it will be for any top notch talent that we all are looking for.

The Immigrant
07-16-2007, 02:07 PM
If any of the teams (as mentioned earlier) do make a trade for him , I dont think it will be for any top notch talent that we all are looking for.

I'd be happy getting a B prospect for Contreras because the principal goal at this point is to dump his salary. He could still be effective in the NL - see El Duque's numbers.

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Im having problems here comprehending why alot of people here think Contreras has trade value, he is 9-20 since the break last year and has been showing alot of wear and tear . If any of the teams (as mentioned earlier) do make a trade for him , I dont think it will be for any top notch talent that we all are looking for.
Because he is the best available pitcher in the trading market this season.
Also as far as the people not wanting to help Cleveland or the Cubs, I don't care who we send him to as long it was the best deal available.

soxfan13
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I'd be happy getting a B prospect for Contreras because the principal goal at this point is to dump his salary. He could still be effective in the NL - see El Duque's numbers.

I agree but people are talking like we are going to get a ready to play today prospect like a Braun (just throwing a name out). Id be very happy with a 2nd tier type level prospect. I just dont see that happening unless a team is willing to take a big gamble.

soxfan13
07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Because he is the best available pitcher in the trading market this season.
Also as far as the people not wanting to help Cleveland or the Cubs, I don't care who we send him to as long it was the best deal available.

Thats like saying hes the smart kid in the dummy row. Also you still dont know whats available until teams have absolutely decided if they are gonna be buyers or sellers in the next few weeks.

PorkChopExpress
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Because most fans overvalue their team's players. A lot of Sox fans are going to be disappointed by what trading our players will get in return. At least initially.

Foulke You
07-16-2007, 02:19 PM
He has trade value because he is a front of the rotation starter with good stuff (formerly great stuff) and has playoff experience. The arrow is pointing down on him right now for sure and there are questions about his declining skills and age but he could still help a team down the stretch which is why Kenny's phone will definitely be ringing for him. I'm not sure how much he will yield in trade. A lot probably depends on whether the Sox are willing to pick up some of the tab on his salary or not.

The Cards picked up Jeff Weaver in a trade with the Angels last year and it ended up working out for them. Jeff Weaver was pitching way worse than Contreras is now and he managed to find his way into the World Series and pitch well for a stretch to help the Cards. I'm sure any team that picks up Contreras is hoping he can put together a nice run for them as well as eat up some innings.

soxfan13
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
He has trade value because he is a front of the rotation starter with good stuff (formerly great stuff) and has playoff experience. The arrow is pointing down on him right now for sure and there are questions about his declining skills and age but he could still help a team down the stretch which is why Kenny's phone will definitely be ringing for him. I'm not sure how much he will yield in trade. A lot probably depends on whether the Sox are willing to pick up some of the tab on his salary or not.

The Cards picked up Jeff Weaver in a trade with the Angels last year and it ended up working out for them. Jeff Weaver was pitching way worse than Contreras is now and he managed to find his way into the World Series and pitch well for a stretch to help the Cards. I'm sure any team that picks up Contreras is hoping he can put together a nice run for them as well as eat up some innings.

I shouldnt have used "trade value". Yes he has "trade value". We might get a long shot prospect, but we are not going to get anything in the terms of "value" that alot of posters are looking for.

oeo
07-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I shouldnt have used "trade value". Yes he has "trade value". We might get a long shot prospect, but we are not going to get anything in the terms of "value" that alot of posters are looking for.

If there are 5 teams interested and he's the best guy out there, his value goes up. No matter how bad he's been, he's valuable right now. I've already said that I don't expect much in return, but now that he's the best guy on the market, that could change.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't think anyone is going to want to pay that salary of his for next year. The Sox might be stuck with Jose for another year.

oeo
07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't think anyone is going to want to pay that salary of his for next year. The Sox might be stuck with Jose for another year.

Why do people think he's getting paid a ton? He's owed $10 million...which in this market is not bad.

soxfan13
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
If there are 5 teams interested and he's the best guy out there, his value goes up. No matter how bad he's been, he's valuable right now. I've already said that I don't expect much in return, but now that he's the best guy on the market, that could change.

I agree to an extent but he is not the best available out there right now. Not with a name like Matt Morris maybe being available. I do disagree that a team will be willing to overpay(in terms of prospects) for Contreras when he has too many question marks considering his arm.

MrRoboto83
07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Why do people think he's getting paid a ton? He's owed $10 million...which in this market is not bad.

I don't know about you but 10 million dollars is a lot of money. Esp for a pitcher that is not very good.

Flight #24
07-16-2007, 03:22 PM
I don't know about you but 10 million dollars is a lot of money. Esp for a pitcher that is not very good.

Jason freaking Marquis coming off of a year in which his ERA was about 200 got 7-8M. Same for Adam Eaton, who was both bad and injured at various times. Gil Meche & Ted Lilly make more than Jose and didn't have better numbers when they received their deals.

Jose needs to have a good outing and/or improved velocity so that the injury question goes away, then he becomes tradable for a mid-tier to high-tier prospect. Until then he's probably going for salary dump and/or a couple lower tier guys.

Foulke You
07-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Jason freaking Marquis coming off of a year in which his ERA was about 200 got 7-8M. Same for Adam Eaton, who was both bad and injured at various times. Gil Meche & Ted Lilly make more than Jose and didn't have better numbers when they received their deals.

Jose needs to have a good outing and/or improved velocity so that the injury question goes away, then he becomes tradable for a mid-tier to high-tier prospect. Until then he's probably going for salary dump and/or a couple lower tier guys.
You are quite correct Flight. Also don't forget, Jeff Weaver is getting $9 million this year too and is stinking it up horribly in Seattle. If Contreras was a free agent next year, he very easily could command $7-10 million on the open market even coming off a bad year. This is how nuts the free agent market for pitchers is right now.

Hitmen77
07-16-2007, 08:25 PM
It could be worse....we could be trading Buehrle about now and planning to keep Jose for next year.

At the very worst, I think the Sox should be able to unload Jose's salary. Who knows, KW has pulled trades out of his hat before. It'll be interesting to see if a deal gets done before July 31. If not, look for Jose to be dealt during the offseason.