PDA

View Full Version : MLB to censor negative fan signs during Bonds games

downstairs
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/01/MNGMVQP7KF1.DTL

Wow. How pathetic. Certainly ban any with swear words... but just because its negative?

DumpJerry
07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I consulted with some of the nation's top linguists. They tell me the word "Selig" is derived from the Latin word for "spineless."

MLB can't prevent people from marching outside a stadium, picket line style, with signs denouncing Barroid. That would attract attention.

Here's another idea: Write an innocent sign ("Go [home team]!") Once inside the park, break out the Sharpie and write your real message on the other side.:cool:

Frontman
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
They still would confiscate them. MLB isn't the only organization to do so. I know the WWE, the NBA, and the NFL all have collected signs, (and considering the nature of some wrestling fans, I never fault the WWE on that one.) I just wished the NFL would of gotten the idiot who brought the sign reading:

"The Bears will finish what Katrina started" sign during the AFC championship game in January. Talk about making Chicago fans look like jerks.

pagansoxfan
07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
i'm all about free speech, and believe mlb has no business censoring its faqns. that said, as my mom's side of the family founded n.o. that sign during the nfc championship game pissed me off to no end.

lostfan
07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
i'm all about free speech, and believe mlb has no business censoring its faqns. that said, as my mom's side of the family founded n.o. that sign during the nfc championship game pissed me off to no end.
Free speech applies only to the government. A privately owned organization can do whatever it wants to protect its product.

lostfan
07-11-2007, 11:13 AM
"The Bears will finish what Katrina started" sign during the AFC championship game in January. Talk about making Chicago fans look like jerks.
Yeah, I really hated that... what pissed me off even more was reading the sensationalist trash in response to that in a Louisiana paper a couple of days later and all the comments from the morons there. Stuff like "I hate Chicago, I hope the Bears plane crashes on the way to the Super Bowl" etc. or "I hope Chicago burns to the ground now." But this article I read made me laugh, I mean the people were complaining because they tried to start the "Who Dat" chant and they got drowned out by Bears fans going "Screw Dat." I don't care who you are, but that's funny. I mean HELLO, you're the away fan at someone else's stadium during the playoffs, do you want a red carpet or something?

downstairs
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Free speech applies only to the government. A privately owned organization can do whatever it wants to protect its product.

No one is saying what they're doing is illegal or unconstitutional.

We are, however, saying its dumb.

Ragator43
07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that the only teams listed cracking down on the anti-barroid signs are in the NL West? No mention of confiscation of the sign or ejection for the sign makers in Milwaukee. Quick Hits had a couple of photos yesterday of a St. Louis fan over the weekend carrying a sign and wearing an over-sized San Fran helmet. And when i say over-sized, it looked like he made it out of a Weber grill lid, if not larger....

thomas35forever
07-11-2007, 01:39 PM
So it's MLB's turn to play FCC? In a country where free speech is a right, MLB doesn't want fans to express their anger on a guy who's cheated them and players alike. That is just complete bull****. They really want to make the event that more special and pretend the BALCO scandal never happened.

chisoxfanatic
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
So, the MLB probably wouldn't protect very many other players in this way, yet it decides to protect one of the biggest douchebag cheaters in the history of the game? That's screwed up in 1000000 ways!

Frontman
07-11-2007, 03:21 PM
So it's MLB's turn to play FCC? In a country where free speech is a right, MLB doesn't want fans to express their anger on a guy who's cheated them and players alike. That is just complete bull****. They really want to make the event that more special and pretend the BALCO scandal never happened.

Just in case you missed it, I reposted lostfan's point of free speech. The freedom of speech is speech about the government, not about any topic at any time. Accuse someone falsely of a crime, without evidence to that fact, and its called slander (or libel, depending on if its in print or spoken.) So no, freedom of speech isn't the right to say anything without repercussions; contrary to what Howard Stern, Don Imus, and Opie and Anthony would like us all to believe.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Major League Baseball - Blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other one.

lostfan
07-12-2007, 09:15 AM
No one is saying what they're doing is illegal or unconstitutional.

We are, however, saying its dumb.
Yeah, that much I can't dispute.

lostfan
07-12-2007, 09:26 AM
So no, freedom of speech isn't the right to say anything without repercussions; contrary to what Howard Stern, Don Imus, and Opie and Anthony would like us all to believe.
Yeah, I just take issue with people who say something controversial (e.g. Tim Hardaway's comments) and then they (or someone on their behalf) invoke "free speech" as a way of justifying whatever they said and try to invalidate the opinion of whoever it was they pissed off with their statement(s).

Freedom of speech=freedom of criticism

Although I should add the mini-rant I just typed doesn't apply in this case. Just saying.

soxfan13
07-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Easy solution bring in a nice sign and a marker, then when in the park go into the bathroom and make up the good sign, on the back of the nice sign, ripping Bonds:D:

Frontman
07-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Easy solution bring in a nice sign and a marker, then when in the park go into the bathroom and make up the good sign, on the back of the nice sign, ripping Bonds:D:

Something tells me security has been instructed to watch for that as well.