PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I kind of touched on this in the Arod thread. Texas is gonna be a scary team come free agency time if Arod opts out. Currently they pay 9 MILLION each year to Arod and he doesn't even play for them. If he opts out they no longer have to use that money. The way I see it whatever they are open to spending this offseason will increase by 9 million dollars. The more I think about it the more I like the Buerhle deal. I can see Texas possibly throwing another rediculous contract at Arod then trading Young for pitching. If they don't decide to go that route look at centerfield. With Ichiro apparently prepared to stay in Seattle and the rumors that Texas is prepared to go after one of the FA CF'rs they could be in a position where whatever they view the value of Jones, Hunter and Rowand if they wish they can go over the top any team competing with them. There is also the option of taking this 9 million and possibly spreading it around to get "roll players." Look out for Texas to be one of those teams like the Cubs last offseason where spending was out of control with the belief "we will handle it later."

johnny_mostil
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I live in the Dallas area. If the Rangers resigned A-Rod, the fans would absolutely tear Tom Hicks' limbs off.

The conventional wisdom around here is the Rangers need pitching, pitching, and more pitching, and some outfielders. They're far more likely to toss money at Torii Hunter (who is from here) than give A-Rod another go-around. Remember, they paid $9M to get rid of him. There's a reason for that.

Scottiehaswheels
07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
If i were them i'd save the money to sign Zambrano or something... Arod makes much less sense for them.. Like the previous poster said.. they need steady pitching... They've always been able to muster up an offense in that bandbox, their pitching is what has always hurt them....

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
You guys confuse Hicks for an intelligent baseball guy?

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I live in the Dallas area. If the Rangers resigned A-Rod, the fans would absolutely tear Tom Hicks' limbs off.

The conventional wisdom around here is the Rangers need pitching, pitching, and more pitching, and some outfielders. They're far more likely to toss money at Torii Hunter (who is from here) than give A-Rod another go-around. Remember, they paid $9M to get rid of him. There's a reason for that.

Where do you live? I live in Plano.

I agree with your assessment. They do need pitching. I know you know this, but the problem is that because of their ballpark, they always have had trouble signing the best free agent pitchers.

Also, they've invested a lot of money in Michael Young to sign another expensive shortstop.

santo=dorf
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
No sane GM would pay Michael Young $16 million a year.

Huisj
07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
the Rangers need pitching, pitching, and more pitching, and some outfielders.

Their rotation is amazingly bad this year.

Tejeda: 5-8 6.70
Loe: 5-6 5.36
Millwood: 6-7 6.16
Padilla: 3-8 6.69
McCarthy: 4-6 5.70
Wright: 2-2 5.55

Wow.

Mickster
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I kind of touched on this in the Arod thread. Texas is gonna be a scary team come free agency time if Arod opts out. Currently they pay 9 MILLION each year to Arod and he doesn't even play for them. If he opts out they no longer have to use that money. The way I see it whatever they are open to spending this offseason will increase by 9 million dollars. The more I think about it the more I like the Buerhle deal. I can see Texas possibly throwing another rediculous contract at Arod then trading Young for pitching. If they don't decide to go that route look at centerfield. With Ichiro apparently prepared to stay in Seattle and the rumors that Texas is prepared to go after one of the FA CF'rs they could be in a position where whatever they view the value of Jones, Hunter and Rowand if they wish they can go over the top any team competing with them. There is also the option of taking this 9 million and possibly spreading it around to get "roll players." Look out for Texas to be one of those teams like the Cubs last offseason where spending was out of control with the belief "we will handle it later."

AROD will not go back to Texas.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Their rotation is amazingly bad this year.

Tejeda: 5-8 6.70
Loe: 5-6 5.36
Millwood: 6-7 6.16
Padilla: 3-8 6.69
McCarthy: 4-6 5.70
Wright: 2-2 5.55

Wow.

In fairness, the rotation and the team overall has been better since mid-June. They were simply atrocious for the first 10 weeks of the season, though.

WSox597
07-11-2007, 09:17 PM
It's good to see that psycho Padilla well under .500 though. Kind of poetic justice. "Instant Karma's gonna get you" and all that.