PDA

View Full Version : Where will A-Rod land in 2008?

Fenway
07-10-2007, 02:01 PM
The NY Daily News ponders where A-Rod will play next year.

They list the White Sox as 8-1 same as the Yankees

Rodriguez and Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf became chummy at the 2003 All-Star Game at Comiskey Park, bonding over a shared interest in real estate investing, and GM Kenny Williams told Cashman that if ever wanted to trade A-Rod, count him first in line among suitors. Someone familiar with the White Sox's thinking said that the team would be interested, but might not be able to compete, money-wise. Reinsdorf doesn't have a history of overpaying, unless you count Albert Belle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/07/10/2007-07-10_where_will_arod_land.html

Personally I think it could be the Cubs because of Piniella and the new owner might want to make a splash

Don't count the Red Sox out either as they seem to sign a shortstop on a yearly basis :tongue:

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 02:11 PM
There is a team paying Arod 9 million dollars a year, every year that would only need to invest around 11-16 more. Plus they are idiots and don't realize they need good pitching. My pick to land Arod is the TEXAS RANGERS

Jaffar
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
When could the Cubs deal be officially done assuming they are sold immediately? Just curious if that could affect things. They'll be losing Zambrano if they sign Arod too I'd think unless the new owner is really going to go crazy with an already high payroll. I just don't see the room for it although I'll get a kick out of their pitching staff if they let Z go for Arod.

chisoxmike
07-10-2007, 02:13 PM
My pick to land Arod is the TEXAS RANGERS

They did that already.

HotelWhiteSox
07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Obviously I'd love ARod but I dread this, the media already started lobbying last year with the whole Lou thing

letsgosox1592
07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I predict the Redsox will get A-Rod for close to 30 mill a year.

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
They did that already.
Did you read why I thought they would do it again? They pay him 9 million a year with him playing in NY. Arod will get 20-25 million per year. That leaves them 11-16 million short. If they reacquire Arod they can move Young who gets 10 million. That leaves looking for 1-6 million increase to go from Young to Arod. It would be well worth it. Especially if they move Young for a guy like John Garland.

soxinem1
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
White Sox getting A-Rod?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/misc/rayshade/all_mach/omega/doc/Examples/jpg/pipes.jpg http://www.stuartstories.com/images/sleeping.gif

pipe dreams..........

Fenway
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM

great Box Seats will be $130 next year :angry:

Flight #24
07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
There is a team paying Arod 9 million dollars a year, every year that would only need to invest around 11-16 more. Plus they are idiots and don't realize they need good pitching. My pick to land Arod is the TEXAS RANGERS

Once he opts out, their outlay for him is 0. So his cost to them is the same as to anyone else. That doesn't mean they won't go after him, but I have a real hard time imagining him going back to the place he was so eager to leave, and I have a hard time seeing the Rangers shelling out to get him back having just given him away for what amounted to little to nothing.

I don't see it. He's been in the east coast pressure cooker and didn't like it. Boston might not be as bad as NY, but it's up there. IMO he'll be looking at LAA first, then maybe teams like the Sox, possibly the Cubs (although if the sale isn't finalized, I don't see how they'd be able to do that big of a contract given that they can't authorize paying some of Jacque Jones deal to ship him out).

If the Sox are willing to pony up the ~$25M & 6-8 years he'll require, I think they'll have a great shot at signing him. They have a studly rotation in place with Buehrle-Garland-Vazquez-Danks (assume they deal Contreras). ARod lets you go with lesser hitters in the OF, which makes the "reloading" easier. You'd need to find a halfway decent leadoff guy, but maybe you can throw a couple mil at Mark Loretta to play 2B (or LF) or maybe even (gulp) Kenny Lofton.

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Once he opts out, their outlay for him is 0. So his cost to them is the same as to anyone else. That doesn't mean they won't go after him, but I have a real hard time imagining him going back to the place he was so eager to leave, and I have a hard time seeing the Rangers shelling out to get him back having just given him away for what amounted to little to nothing.

I'm just saying for their "budget" in 08 they have already factored in his 9 million and Young's 10 million. It would almost be worth it to go after him and if successful move Young for pitching.

Luke
07-10-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm just saying for their "budget" in 08 they have already factored in his 9 million and Young's 10 million. It would almost be worth it to go after him and if successful move Young for pitching.

I don't think they want anything to do with each other, do they? When he wasn't he traded because both sides were unhappy?

LAA would seem to be the smart money. Boras will carefully gauge the FA market first though. He very well may stay in NY if he can't get a healthy raise. Although in that range I have no idea what a healthy raise even constitutes.

DumpJerry
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I don't see him on the South Side. Borass.

Dan Mega
07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
No way he hits the southside. It would be great to see him playing SS in place of Uribe, but no way.

thomas35forever
07-10-2007, 03:14 PM
One could only dream. I'm pretty sure ticket prices here will be jacked up again next year since we'll be paying Buehrle's salary as well as Paulie's. Signing A-Rod would bring them up even more.

The Racehorse
07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
For some reason, I don't see ARod going to Boston. Why would he want the whole Yankee/Sawx drama stuff allover again? Going to Boston wouldn't decrease the media scrutiny, if that is a factor for him.

I'll say this, if ARod for whatever reason wants to stick it to the Yankees, and looking for less media hype isn't a factor, going to the Mets would be a bigger deal... new stadium in '08 [I mean '09], along with Arod & all those great Mets players like Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Pedro, Delgado, Jose Valentin, Glavine, El Duque, ect.... Steinbrenner would freak!

However, if I was a betting man, I'd take the Angels... and I don't bet.

Fenway
07-10-2007, 03:41 PM
For some reason, I don't see ARod going to Boston. Why would he want the whole Yankee/Sawx drama stuff allover again? Going to Boston wouldn't decrease the media scrutiny, if that is a factor for him.

I'll say this, if ARod for whatever reason wants to stick it to the Yankees, and looking for less media hype isn't a factor, going to the Mets would be a bigger deal... new stadium in '08 [I mean '09], along with Arod & all those great Mets players like Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Pedro, Delgado, Jose Valentin, Glavine, El Duque, ect.... Steinbrenner would freak!

I just can't see Boston fans warming up to him after all that has happened.

But then again him hitting 81 times a year at Fenway :o:

The Racehorse
07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I just can't see Boston fans warming up to him after all that has happened.

But then again him hitting 81 times a year at Fenway :o:

They would rename the Green Monster after him... :D:

DSpivack
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Where would he play? 2B?

The Racehorse
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Where would he play? 2B?

link (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/07/10/2007-07-10_where_will_arod_land.html)
Try this infield on for size - A-Rod at third, Jose Reyes at short and David Wright at second base. While pointing out that it was a premature discussion, Wright said in spring training that he'd move to second if Rodriguez wanted to relocate from the Bronx to Queens. "Yeah, he's Alex Rodriguez," Wright said.

Wright would slide over to 2B :gulp:

eriqjaffe
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
He will land wherever the biggest pile of money exists to cushion his fall.

Crede_Fan
07-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Back in Seattle. He has been talking a lot about his old Mariner days.

mjmcend
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM

I honestly don't see him getting more than the $22 million+ a year he gets in his current contract. Plus I don't think he wants to be known as someone who can't handle New York. His ego (not a bad thing for a major league player) won't let him quit.

jabrch
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't see him leaving NYY. Staying there still give him the best chance to win and gives him the big piles of money. The Yankees can add on to his current deal and not have to give back the big piles of money that the Rangers are contributing. If Alex opts out, the Rangers are off the hook.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Yanks add something like 2-3 years at some silly amount (more than Clemens) to the back end of this deal to keep Alex in the Bronx until he is close to 40 and until he breaks Aaron's (I know - but I don't care) HR record.

Remember, Alex can make 27mm (base) next year until 2010, and has the right to opt out again in 2008 and again in 2009 unless the team increases his salary by 5mm each year. (That was one crazy-ass contract Boras got for him)

I'd love to see him on the Sox. I just don't see him leaving NY.

munchman33
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I say the Dodgers, with Furcal's contract being dumped on one of the Chicago teams this off-season.

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I say the Dodgers, with Furcal's contract being dumped on one of the Chicago teams this off-season.
:whiner::gulp::puking::anon::tsk::smokin::kukoo:

munchman33
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
:whiner::gulp::puking::anon::tsk::smokin::kukoo:

Both teams will need a shortstop, and a leadoff guy. While Furcal makes a ton, it's only for two more years. Kenny might bite if it's a salary dump and doesn't cost much.

Boondock Saint
07-11-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't see him leaving NYY. Staying there still give him the best chance to win and gives him the big piles of money. The Yankees can add on to his current deal and not have to give back the big piles of money that the Rangers are contributing. If Alex opts out, the Rangers are off the hook.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Yanks add something like 2-3 years at some silly amount (more than Clemens) to the back end of this deal to keep Alex in the Bronx until he is close to 40 and until he breaks Aaron's (I know - but I don't care) HR record.

Remember, Alex can make 27mm (base) next year until 2010, and has the right to opt out again in 2008 and again in 2009 unless the team increases his salary by 5mm each year. (That was one crazy-ass contract Boras got for him)

I'd love to see him on the Sox. I just don't see him leaving NY.

As soon as he got off to his big start, I started to think something similar to this would happen. I think he's (finally) starting to get comfortable out there, and he understands the fans better. They want him to produce, and he's doing it now. He has no reason to opt out after this season.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2007, 01:39 AM
I really don't think he'll opt out. Is he likely to get more $ from any other team? I don't think so. It's not that there aren't teams who would love to have him, there just aren't many that can fit that kind of money into their budget.

Flight #24
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I really don't think he'll opt out. Is he likely to get more $ from any other team? I don't think so. It's not that there aren't teams who would love to have him, there just aren't many that can fit that kind of money into their budget.

I honestly don't see him getting more than the $22 million+ a year he gets in his current contract. Plus I don't think he wants to be known as someone who can't handle New York. His ego (not a bad thing for a major league player) won't let him quit.

Remember - just because he went to the highest bidder without real concern for winning doesn't mean he'll do so again. He was willing to take a pay cut to go to Boston before the MLBPA kiboshed it. I think he'll probably be looking for some combination of high salary and a team/city/org that he thinks can win and that he's comfortable with. Given the Jeter/Giambi/Torre issues he's had in NY, I think comfort with teammates and manager would also play a role.

As for $$$, Ichiro is getting ~$20M/yr, so I doubt significantly that ARod won't be able to match his $25M. What he'll be looking for is another long-term deal and possibly another opt-out given that he seems pretty uncomfortable in NY and would want a similar ability to move if the new situation isn't working out.

IMO it's LAA that's got the first shot, even if they don't have the highest bid. The Sox would be up there if they're going to play in the $22-25M/yr ballpark and go along with his opt-out or other perks. Supposedly he & JR get along, and I think the combo of Thome, Konerko, Buehrle, Ozzie, Kenny would be a good environment for him. As much as Ozzie "throws his guys under the bus" for poor play, he really doesn't undermine them the way thigns have happened in NY.

balke
07-11-2007, 12:04 PM
To me it sounds like he wants to play SS again, or bust. I don't see him in Yankee pinstripes at all. To be fully honest, the Sox are one of the bigger budget teams that has room at 3B/SS right now. Then again so are the Cubs.

I don't think he'd go back to Texas, and I don't think the Mets are going to make room for him. If I were him, I'd try finding a good AL team to settle down with. It'll be interesting to see where he goes for sure.

Flight #24
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
To me it sounds like he wants to play SS again, or bust. I don't see him in Yankee pinstripes at all. To be fully honest, the Sox are one of the bigger budget teams that has room at 3B/SS right now. Then again so are the Cubs.

I don't think he'd go back to Texas, and I don't think the Mets are going to make room for him. If I were him, I'd try finding a good AL team to settle down with. It'll be interesting to see where he goes for sure.

That's a great point. Various talking heads I've heard have said he wants to go back to SS, where IMO he'll be more appreciated as the best ever from a historical standpoint.

LAA Have Cabrera under contract for 2008 at $9M, but I assume they'd find a way to move him if they want Alex. Sox & Cubs both have SS openings, but the Cubs ability to be a factor may well depend on the status of the sale, and given that there aren't even any definite ownership groups with bids I have a hard time seeing that process concluded by then. Seattle was rumored, but is reupping Ichiro for $20M, can they afford 2 $20M+ deals?

It could well come down to LA or CHI, or it could come down to just LA if the Sox aren't going to be players. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kenny's planning on at least making an attempt. He'd tried 2-3 times already (as an FA, reportedly when he was looking to move from Tex, and last offseason via trade), and Kenny gets his man. Plus, it would make his moves so far make sense: load up on SP prospects so that you can deal a more expensive starter, and above all else, don't lock in any big contracts. That would explain not really trying for Dye, Gooch, Buehrle until he realized that he wouldn't get much in return for a Burls rental and that Mark would take a significant discount to stay.

palehozenychicty
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
That's a great point. Various talking heads I've heard have said he wants to go back to SS, where IMO he'll be more appreciated as the best ever from a historical standpoint.

LAA Have Cabrera under contract for 2008 at $9M, but I assume they'd find a way to move him if they want Alex. Sox & Cubs both have SS openings, but the Cubs ability to be a factor may well depend on the status of the sale, and given that there aren't even any definite ownership groups with bids I have a hard time seeing that process concluded by then. Seattle was rumored, but is reupping Ichiro for $20M, can they afford 2 $20M+ deals?

It could well come down to LA or CHI, or it could come down to just LA if the Sox aren't going to be players. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kenny's planning on at least making an attempt. He'd tried 2-3 times already (as an FA, reportedly when he was looking to move from Tex, and last offseason via trade), and Kenny gets his man. Plus, it would make his moves so far make sense: load up on SP prospects so that you can deal a more expensive starter, and above all else, don't lock in any big contracts. That would explain not really trying for Dye, Gooch, Buehrle until he realized that he wouldn't get much in return for a Burls rental and that Mark would take a significant discount to stay.

That is an interesting point that nobody has mentioned. Not only do the Angels have Cabrera, but they also have the young masher Brandon Wood in AAA Salt Lake City. If the Halos go after Rodriguez, the Sox could inquire about one of those players. Problem, though, is that Stoneman NEVER makes a move. Who knows?

Flight #24
07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, his underlying desires ought to soon be known. The Spankees have reportedly agreed to discuss an extension (recognizing that it costs them less to keep him than it would cost other teams to acquire him because of the Rangers $$$).

If he's simply not happy in NY, this won't go very far. If it's all about the $$$ then he'll stay because they can pay him more than anyone else given that they have the Rangers' cash.

Foulke You
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
We just gave Buehrle big money and assuming A-Rod commands $17-21 million per year, I wonder how much money KW would have left for our outfield and bullpen if he landed A-Rod? When you factor in Buehrle, A-Rod, and Javy's contract KW would have about $40 million tied up in just 3 players. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of fiscal sense to get A-Rod if the budget is staying around $100 million. As it is, Kenny might have to spend $10-15 million on fixing our bullpen next year.

However, if JR is in a spending mood and wants to raise our payroll to Mets/Red Sox levels, I am certainly not going to stand in his way.:cool:

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
assuming A-Rod commands $17-21 million per year, You're expecting him to take a big pay cut? Why would he do that?

WSox597
07-11-2007, 05:16 PM
A-Rod won't go the Cubs, they have the mighty Error-Miss at third base.

If he wants to play SS, it could happen. I can't even name the SS up north.

Wouldn't he look good on the Sox? I doubt JR would pay the freight to sign him, though. The Sox would have to really draw to afford him. More than 2005 / 2006.

I'd love to see him here. Now that Ichiro is signed in Seattle, he's the biggest fish out there.

Nellie_Fox
07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Now that Ichiro is signed in Seattle, he's the biggest fish out there.He's not "out there" until he announces that he's opting out of the remainder of his contract, which he hasn't done, and I don't think he will do.

mjmcend
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
I'd love to see him here. Now that Ichiro is signed in Seattle, he's the biggest fish out there.

And even if they were both 'out there,' ARod is at least three times the player that Ichiro is.

Flight #24
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
IMO this could be a prelude to the Spankees trying to deal him for something if they finally decide they're out of it. If he wants out, especially if it basically becomes an S&T because they trade him to a team that he'll resign with.

WSox597
07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
ARod is at least three times the player that Ichiro is.

Can't argue that, but I do like Ichiro in the outfield and leading off, as most everyone does. Two places the Sox most definitely need help.

Flight #24
07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Update: Boras says they won't negotiate in-season. Which to me would indicate he wants out of NY (which in turn would indicate that he may not be going for the same all-out cash hunt he was the first time around).

Fenway
07-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Update: Boras says they won't negotiate in-season. Which to me would indicate he wants out of NY (which in turn would indicate that he may not be going for the same all-out cash hunt he was the first time around).

I am beginning to think he going 206 miles to the northeast

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/07/14/2007-07-14_red_sox_still_warm_for_arod-2.html

ST. PETERSBURG - The Yankees' loss could be the Red Sox's gain this fall if Alex Rodriguez decides to opt out of his contract and become a free agent.
The Bombers have told A-Rod and his agent, Scott Boras, that they have no plans to become part of the bidding process if Rodriguez elects to become a free agent, but multiple baseball sources believe the Red Sox will make a huge push to add the two-time American League MVP if he becomes available.

Flight #24
07-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I am beginning to think he going 206 miles to the northeast

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/07/14/2007-07-14_red_sox_still_warm_for_arod-2.html

ST. PETERSBURG - The Yankees' loss could be the Red Sox's gain this fall if Alex Rodriguez decides to opt out of his contract and become a free agent.
The Bombers have told A-Rod and his agent, Scott Boras, that they have no plans to become part of the bidding process if Rodriguez elects to become a free agent, but multiple baseball sources believe the Red Sox will make a huge push to add the two-time American League MVP if he becomes available.

If it's all about the $$$, he'll stay in NY and not opt out. He can almost certainly get the Spankees to extend his deal because htey effectively get a discount due to the TX $$$.

If it's not about the $$, I have a hard time thinking that he'd choose to go from NY to BOS. If he opts out, it's because he's tired of the whole northeastern media scene.

I just don't see it, unless the BloSawx are ready to spend MORE than the Spankees would for him.

soxfanreggie
07-14-2007, 06:52 PM
If the Yankees don't extend his deal, expect the Angels to make a push if he'll take under $30 mil a year. I would think he'd want a shot at a ring. He has more than enough money to do what he wants. If he wants a good shot at the series (assuming he doesn't sign with the Sox :rolleyes:), he should sign with LAA. Imagine him and Vlad in there together. I could see him sign an 8 year, $200 million deal with them. I think $25 mil a year would be as high as they would go.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2007, 06:56 PM
If in reality he's actually going to get 30 million a year you can count on one hand the only teams that could lay out that kind of money.

If it's all about the money and the chance to win, I figure he'll stay in New York or go to Boston. (and by New York I also include the Mets.)

Lip

bigfoot
07-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Don't the Yankees get relief from the "luxury tax" for the coming years/s, due to the expenditure on the new Yankee Stadium?

Wouldn't this extra money figure into any player salaries for the same time period?

If so, Arod won't be taking any pay cut anytime soon, nor changing addresses.

Thome25
07-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Hopefully NOT the White Sox. One player is NOT worth 30mil per. Winning teams do it with pitching, defense, and clutch hitting.

NOT one 30million dollar SS.

balke
07-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Hopefully NOT the White Sox. One player is NOT worth 30mil per. Winning teams do it with pitching, defense, and clutch hitting.

I don't know, it would be nice to say your franchise had the greatest SS in MLB history played for you once in his career. I don't think the Sox will pay for him, but I would actually be pretty excited if they did. He'd be the biggest star in Chicago, and he'd finally give the Sox a premier SS as they've mentioned they wanted in the past.

I think A-Rod would like it on the Southside with a good park to hit the ball out of, and the pressure of NY would be gone. Its a pipedream though, the Sox are tied up right now financially.

Lip Man 1
07-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Bigfoot:

My understanding on the rule is that you are correct but the money has to go towards the stadium, you don't get the break then are allowed to take that money and get more players.

I could be wrong though.

Lip

jabrch
07-15-2007, 02:30 PM

This is the best player in the game you are talking about. Winning teams have done it with him. I wouldn't say I'd want him until I saw what we'd have to do without, but Alex Rodriguez is a difference maker.

Fenway
07-16-2007, 03:04 PM
One thing about having a player cancel his contract.

Boras HAS to know more money is out there ( see J D Drew ) or you don't opt out. Isn't that tampering?

wdelaney72
07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
More overall money is out there, but I don't think he'll get more money per year. It's a very short list of teams that will be in the bidding. Maybe Boston will outbid itself just like the Rangers did.

palehozenychicty
07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
More overall money is out there, but I don't think he'll get more money per year. It's a very short list of teams that will be in the bidding. Maybe Boston will outbid itself just like the Rangers did.

I know that Boston would bid hard for him, but it would be kinda weird for Rodriguez to play with the Red Sox, after the failed bid in 2004, and after the slapping of Arroyo, the fight with Varitek, and the blondie masks after his Toronto strip club liasions. It'd be like the Sox getting Albert Belle as a free agent. My first thought when that happened was like, "Huh?!" A-Rod to the Sawx would be the same thing.

areilly
07-17-2007, 04:16 PM

That $30 million shortstop could significantly help two of those three causes. I don't understand why you keep trivializing what he's going to bring to any team that lets him play the position he not only played but elevated his entire pre-NYY career. This is not a Soriano-type player who puts up fantasy league numbers; this is arguably the greatest player in the game right now. And please don't get into another "we need some grinders" speech because your handle and sig are both tributes to what many could consider the antithesis of that type of player.

(Side note: I was just thinking about the Bronson Arroyo play from 2004 or the "mine!" bark from Toronto this year; how very Pierzynskian of him. :cool:)

jabrch
07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
One thing about having a player cancel his contract.

Boras HAS to know more money is out there ( see J D Drew ) or you don't opt out. Isn't that tampering?

Only if you get caught.

The rules around tampering are hardly enforced.

Flight #24
07-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Pitching....not applicable, but the Sox have it already in place (rotation, obviously not 'pen, but that's not a thing you can easily throw money at).

Defense.....check, GG caliber SS

Clutch Hitting.....Hmmmm, let's check that one out, shall we? 2007 & 3-year stats.

BA with RISP: .292 / .282
BA with RISP, 2 out: .326 / .278
BA "Close & Late": .333 / .268
BA with Runners On: .316 / .298

Those are some pretty damn good numbers, and then there's the whole fact that he's the best player in baseball in general, the pending HR record, etc.

The Sox can absolutely fit him under the payroll (going with less power in the corners, especially if Owens can maintain his recent streak - .325/.386 in July so far after .170/.214 in June).

wdelaney72
07-18-2007, 10:20 AM
I know that Boston would bid hard for him, but it would be kinda weird for Rodriguez to play with the Red Sox, after the failed bid in 2004, and after the slapping of Arroyo, the fight with Varitek, and the blondie masks after his Toronto strip club liasions. It'd be like the Sox getting Albert Belle as a free agent. My first thought when that happened was like, "Huh?!" A-Rod to the Sawx would be the same thing.

All water under the bridge, as Boston has no shortstop. Realistically, the only 2 teams that will overpay for him are Boston and San Francisco. Now, I could possibly see Alex not wanting to go to Boston, as he'd face the same media nonsense as he's had in the last few years, but in Boston, he'd have a chance at a manager and teammates to support him... something he's been missing in NY.

San Francisco will close the door on Barroid after this season. They will then have plenty of money to overpay for Rodriguez. I'd love him on our team, but Kenny won't pay what Boston and San Francisco will likely offer.

Fenway
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
All water under the bridge, as Boston has no shortstop. Realistically, the only 2 teams that will overpay for him are Boston and San Francisco. Now, I could possibly see Alex not wanting to go to Boston, as he'd face the same media nonsense as he's had in the last few years, but in Boston, he'd have a chance at a manager and teammates to support him... something he's been missing in NY.

San Francisco will close the door on Barroid after this season. They will then have plenty of money to overpay for Rodriguez. I'd love him on our team, but Kenny won't pay what Boston and San Francisco will likely offer.

If Boston's season blows up the Red Sox will pay ANYTHING Boras wants