PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Sent to Charlotte

jcw218
07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
White Sox sent Gavin Floyd back to Charlotte today

Links
Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=txwhitesoxfloyd&prov=st&type=lgns)
Whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070710&content_id=2079340&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

SBSoxFan
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
The White Sox plan to make a corresponding roster move prior to Thursday's game against the Baltimore Orioles (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/bal/;_ylt=AlW9GSn5cBZhfFFOAjULeLHavrYF).

hhmmm ... what's that going to be?

kittle42
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
hhmmm ... what's that going to be?

Would buying Floyd a permanent residence in Charlotte be considered a roster move? :D:

soxinem1
07-10-2007, 12:43 PM
All the hype about being a AAA All-Star, ERA leader, etc.

To me, he looked like he did on the Phillies and 2007 ST: tentative, scared, unconfident, and definitley resembled Scott Ruffcorn.

I guess he will now be back in time to start the AAA All-Star game.

oeo
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
All the hype about being a AAA All-Star, ERA leader, etc.

To me, he looked like he did on the Phillies and 2007 ST: tentative, scared, unconfident, and definitley resembled Scott Ruffcorn.

I guess he will now be back in time to start the AAA All-Star game.

It was one start. :dunno:

Garland put enough pressure on him with that ****ty first game. He did about what I expected...and got no run support, whatsoever.

Frontman
07-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, one bad outing and he goes back? Ok. Granted, I didn't think the kid has it, maybe he never will.

Anyone else of the feeling that the "Floyd is up here to stay" talk all hinged on:

A: Moving a pitcher (probably Mark)
and
B: Floyd's performance being better than it was Friday.

soxinem1
07-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Garland put enough pressure on him with that ****ty first game. He did about what I expected...and got no run support, whatsoever.

What pressure? The pen did not get burned up for game one.

He had nothing on his pitches, just like ST and his Phillie days. If I remember right, he had high-ball counts all night, just like ST and his Philly days, and he got lit up, just like ST and his Philly days.

dickallen15
07-10-2007, 01:07 PM
The guy gave up 4 homers. He isn't any good. He'll shine in Charlotte though.

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Show me a pitcher that would have stopped Minnesota on Friday.

Flight #24
07-10-2007, 01:32 PM
:burly "you rang?"

y2j2785
07-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Javy or Buehrle prob would of had better success against them than Floyd did on Friday.

spawn
07-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I think people are making waaaay too much of him geting sent back down. The only reason he was brought up was because of the doubleheader. Unless Ozzie was going to a 6-man rotation, there was no reason to keep him up, unless he was going to pitch out of the bullpen. And Ozzie already said he didn't think he was ready for that. So what other choice was there?

getonbckthr
07-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Javy or Buehrle prob would of had better success against them than Floyd did on Friday.
Nobody would have stopped them on Friday. They were in some sick rediculous zone.

Mickster
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I think what is most interesting is that if KW was still planning on trading a starter within the next 10 days, I don't think that Floyd would have been sent down so quickly. Doesn't a team have to wait 10-15 days after sending down a player before recalling him???

Maybe a deal shipping off Contreras is not expected soon or at all. Or it is possible that they saw all that they needed from Floyd and will bring up another starter / Masset, etc. to pitch if a corresponding trade is done.

sox1970
07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I think what is most interesting is that if KW was still planning on trading a starter within the next 10 days, I don't think that Floyd would have been sent down so quickly. Doesn't a team have to wait 10-15 days after sending down a player before recalling him???

Maybe a deal shipping off Contreras is not expected soon or at all. Or it is possible that they saw all that they needed from Floyd and will bring up another starter / Masset, etc. to pitch if a corresponding trade is done.

No they could call him back right away if they wanted to. Could be a Dye trade on Thursday and Sweeney comes up?

Flight #24
07-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Well, this could be a way to keep him on schedule to pitch during the break, which is a common thing teams do with younger pitchers at this time. Also, if they're trying to deal Jose, they might be thinking that it'll be a week or 2 since he needs to show effectiveness in 1-2 starts before they can get anything of value for him. So until then Gavin stays in AAA.

But most likely it means pretty much nothing since I think they can recall him quickly if they want to.

puckereduppiet
07-10-2007, 02:00 PM
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! javy too

I'm glad they made a quick change regarding floyd. I sat thru that doubleheader.

TDog
07-10-2007, 02:02 PM

I was exploring Yosemite on Friday. I later looked at Friday's scores but was uninspired to go further. But the mention of Garland reminds me of a warm Saturday night six years ago. May 12. On my way down to Chicago to catch the game, I heard the sports radio people talking about how this was the make or break start for Garland, who had been disappointing in 2000 and had an ERA in excess of 7 after his first two 2001 starts.

I got my ticket, as the national anthem was beginning. A great seat behind home plate, although I could have paid less. Garland fell behind in the count to the first Texas hitter as I rushed to my seat. An error by Valentin didn't help. The ground ball to short only went for a fielder's choice. The Alex Rodriguez homered. Then came a single and another home run. And another home run. It was 5-0 when Garland came out for the second and got the leadoff hitter to fly out. He wouldn't retire another hitter. Two walks were followed by a single from Rodriguez, and a fan next to me said sarcastically "it's pad your stats night." Another walk ended Garland's night. Kip Wells didn't help matters by walking the next two hitters, forcing in runs with each, before getting a double-play grounder to Durham.

The White Sox got four runs in the bottom of the second while knocking out former Garland teammate Aaron Myette, but any hope for the game went unfulfilled. Wells pitched another four innings and wasn't scored upon, but while the Sox could only manage two runs off the Rangers bullpen, the Rangers got eight more runs of of Lorenzo Barcelo and Gary Glover to win the game 16-6.

And fans were convinced that Jon Garland would never have success in the major leagues.

oeo
07-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, one bad outing and he goes back? Ok. Granted, I didn't think the kid has it, maybe he never will.

Anyone else of the feeling that the "Floyd is up here to stay" talk all hinged on:

A: Moving a pitcher (probably Mark)
and
B: Floyd's performance being better than it was Friday.

It makes sense that they sent him back down...if there isn't a rotation spot, I don't see a reason for him to be up here. Let him start.

Corlose 15
07-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Well, this could be a way to keep him on schedule to pitch during the break, which is a common thing teams do with younger pitchers at this time. Also, if they're trying to deal Jose, they might be thinking that it'll be a week or 2 since he needs to show effectiveness in 1-2 starts before they can get anything of value for him. So until then Gavin stays in AAA.

But most likely it means pretty much nothing since I think they can recall him quickly if they want to.

My thoughts exactly.

oeo
07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
What pressure? The pen did not get burned up for game one.

He had nothing on his pitches, just like ST and his Phillie days. If I remember right, he had high-ball counts all night, just like ST and his Philly days, and he got lit up, just like ST and his Philly days.

Garland's job, at the very least, was to eat up innings; he didn't do that...instead, that's what we got from Floyd. Garland **** his pants in that first game, then Floyd had to come out and eat up innings to get a W for the day. IMO, he did his job and about what I expected of him from that start. Garland was the real loser on Friday...and he was the first one to say he put a lot of pressure on Floyd in the second game.

This goes without mentioning that the Twins were hitting everything in sight on Friday, and our offense couldn't even give him any run support.

103 screwball
07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I think KW expected somebody to get traded. I will never be able to prove it, but I think Buehrle was on his way out and the fan/media's extremely negative response to that idea changed the organization's plan. That was a wise decision. Or possibly he thought he was close to dealing another pitcher and the other team backed out. Perhaps, KW is going to ride this out and move a pitcher in the off season.

Tragg
07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
He was shelled in the ONE outing for us that he had.
Everyone who pitched for the Sox that day was shelled.
I'd like to see him spend time with the ML club out of the pen....we already know he can pitch AAA.

infohawk
07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I think people are making waaaay too much of him geting sent back down. The only reason he was brought up was because of the doubleheader. Unless Ozzie was going to a 6-man rotation, there was no reason to keep him up, unless he was going to pitch out of the bullpen. And Ozzie already said he didn't think he was ready for that. So what other choice was there?
Yeah, I think this is right. My concerns about Floyd as a pitcher, though, is that whenever I've seen him (the start and spring training) he seems like he just wants to nibble around the corners all day long. He's one of those pitchers who I find frustrating to watch because he falls behind so many hitters, or if he does get someone 0-2, you can expect a 2-2 or 3-2 count before something happens. That's got to change or he's not going to make it in the bigs.

oeo
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I think this is right. My concerns about Floyd as a pitcher, though, is that whenever I've seen him (the start and spring training) he seems like he just wants to nibble around the corners all day long. He's one of those pitchers who I find frustrating to watch because he falls behind so many hitters, or if he does get someone 0-2, you can expect a 2-2 or 3-2 count before something happens. That's got to change or he's not going to make it in the bigs.

I only saw Floyd's first inning, so I can't comment on how he was pitching, but Javy Vazquez is making it in the bigs doing exactly what you described. He may not fall behind a lot of guys, but he will go 0-2 and work it 3-2...that is by far the most frustrating thing about Vazquez.

RockJock07
07-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Erstad was schedualed to come off the DL on sunday, that would be my guess for who will take his place. Erstad will go on rehad assignment for the 3 games and since Gavin wouldn't have made a start in that time frame anyway, thus the move. That would be my guess, but after all it's just a guess. Plus, last thursday, Jessica Erstad was on with DJ and said he would be in charlotte to Rehad.

However the AAA all-star is a good point, plus the Reds sent Homer Bailey was sent to AAA to remain on his pitching schedual.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
:hawk
I Luv Speculation

veeter
07-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Nobody would have stopped them on Friday. They were in some sick rediculous zone.The zone where beach balls are easy to hit.:smile:

frankie_ventura
07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
The roster move made sense. Floyd was going to start only one game and likely be sent down unless one of the Sox starters got traded. Once Buerhle was resigned there was no open spot. It seems likely that Conteras will be traded at some point but Kenny must have not liked the offers and chosen to wait. Since Conteras is probably the best pitcher available (unless the Yankees go fire sale) Kenny will likely wait and hope for the bidding to go up. It is risky because Jose could tank but that's Kenny for you.

As for the Floyd bashing, give him a couple more starts. These rookies need time to adjust and see if they can sink or swim. True, Floyd struggled with the Phillies but Kenny must have seen something in him that showed he could succeed in the major leagues. One complaint I have about the Sox and Ozzie is that they are too impatient with the rookies. If you call up Sweeney, stick him in right field for a few weeks and see what he can do. Do not start him one game, rest him for three, and start him again. It is very difficult for rookies to succeed doing that. One reason I think that Fields is doing all right is that he knows he is at third and barring some horrific slump, he will be at third for the rest of the year.

INSox56
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Nobody would have stopped them on Friday. They were in some sick rediculous zone.Yeah I would have to agree there. They were slamming pitches in, out, up, down...didn't matter.

eriqjaffe
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, somebody has to get sent town to make room on the 25-man roster forwhen the impending Contreras for Maine, Reyes & Milledge trade finally goes through.

champagne030
07-10-2007, 03:31 PM
No they could call him back right away if they wanted to. Could be a Dye trade on Thursday and Sweeney comes up?

Are you sure? I thought he had to stay down for 10 days unless the Sox put a pitcher on the DL. :dunno:

sox1970
07-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Are you sure? I thought he had to stay down for 10 days unless the Sox put a pitcher on the DL. :dunno:

The Cubs sent Petrick down and called him back the same day last week. Unless there is a loophole I'm not aware of, I think the are able to do that.

champagne030
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
The Cubs sent Petrick down and called him back the same day last week. Unless there is a loophole I'm not aware of, I think the are able to do that.

Cherry was placed on the DL after they sent Petrick down and that's why they were able to recall him inside of 10 days.

JB98
07-10-2007, 04:37 PM
He was shelled in the ONE outing for us that he had.
Everyone who pitched for the Sox that day was shelled.
I'd like to see him spend time with the ML club out of the pen....we already know he can pitch AAA.

No. If he's going to have success, I think it will be as a starter. Let him keep making starts, so he will be prepared to join the rotation in the event Contreras or Garland get traded.

I would still like to see Contreras dealt. I'm not optimistic about Floyd, but the second half of this season would be a great time to find out what we have in him.

Martinigirl
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
I think what is most interesting is that if KW was still planning on trading a starter within the next 10 days, I don't think that Floyd would have been sent down so quickly.

This was my first thought when I heard about the move as well.

JermaineDye05
07-10-2007, 04:55 PM
This was my first thought when I heard about the move as well.

They still have Masset in the bullpen who can be moved to starter if the sox decide to trade Contreras or whoever else. Of the two possible starters, Masset looked a lot better then Floyd when put in the position but you can't hold it against Floyd too much as he was facing one hell of an offense that day.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
They still have Masset in the bullpen who can be moved to starter if the sox decide to trade Contreras or whoever else. Of the two possible starters, Masset looked a lot better then Floyd when put in the position but you can't hold it against Floyd too much as he was facing one hell of an offense that day.

I don't think you've looked at Massets numbers lately. He is not an option. :mad:

JermaineDye05
07-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think you've looked at Massets numbers lately. He is not an option. :mad:

I've seen his numbers as a reliever. As a starter he hasn't done too bad.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Johan Santanna

jabrch
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Exactly...

KW had 3 choices
1) Trade someone - didn't happen
2) Floyd in the pen - obviously he isn't targeted for that
3) Floyd back to minors

If someone (JC? Javy? Gar?) gets traded, I'm guessing Floyd would be given another shot at it.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-10-2007, 05:12 PM
No. If he's going to have success, I think it will be as a starter. Let him keep making starts, so he will be prepared to join the rotation in the event Contreras or Garland get traded.

I would still like to see Contreras dealt. I'm not optimistic about Floyd, but the second half of this season would be a great time to find out what we have in him.

I would just like to see Floyd continue to shine at AAA, so we can trade him, not Contreras. Although, I don't think it would be the end of the world to see Jose go.

JB98
07-10-2007, 05:13 PM

He's only started one game, and yes, he did well. But that's not anymore significant than Floyd doing poorly on Friday. How much can you tell from one game?

My opinion: Nick is not throwing enough strikes to justify a promotion to the starting rotation. By pitching poorly as a reliever, he has not made a good case for himself.

JB98
07-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I would just like to see Floyd continue to shine at AAA, so we can trade him, not Contreras. Although, I don't think it would be the end of the world to see Jose go.

I wouldn't be opposed to including Floyd in a deal either. Jose, I fear, is in decline. Father Time is calling.

Chicken Dinner
07-10-2007, 05:16 PM

He's only had 1 start and that was on a cold crappy day at Wrigley. 38 innings, 51 hits, 25 walks, and 33 runs of which 31 are earned is pathetic. 2 baserunners per inning and almost 1 run per. This guy should be on the bus with Gavin.

JB98
07-10-2007, 05:21 PM
He's only had 1 start and that was on a cold crappy day at Wrigley. 38 innings, 51 hits, 25 walks, and 33 runs of which 31 are earned is pathetic. 2 baserunners per inning and almost 1 run per. This guy should be on the bus with Gavin.

Yes, Nick has a very good deuce, but he should be in the minors. He needs to work as a starter and develop better control of his fastball.

jabrch
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
There is likely to be one open rotation spot for next year (I have to believe that one of JC/JV/JG will be traded to free up money and to get a high ceiling hitting prospect) for open competition. Masset, Floyd, Gio, Broadway, Sisco, etc. will all compete for that spot, amongst others. What I'd like to see happen is that one or two of the guys who lose that competition come north as relievers, and do better than Sisco/Nick/etc. did this year.

kittle42
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM

As I predicted at the time, that one average-at-best start at Wrigley kept him in the good graces of many people here.

For shame, he stinks as bad as the rest of them.

Daver
07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
As I predicted at the time, that one average-at-best start at Wrigley kept him in the good graces of many people here.

So, exactly why do you think he stinks?

Is it the fact that he has a tendency to tip his breaking ball?

The fact that he has to learn to keep his fast ball down in the zone?

Or is it something I haven't noticed that you consider uncorrectable with work?

champagne030
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM

You and me both. The better he does down there and the less exposure up here means a better chance of someone thinking that he's turned the corner. We'll be forced to pass him through waivers next season or put him in the bullpen if he doesn't find his stuff by next March. He's regressed, stuff wise, since he was drafted. His two-seamer has lateral movement, but now has little/no downward movement. His four-seamer has lost 3-5 mph since he was drafted. And the Phillies changed his curveball because he threw with Wood(s) like torque and would have blown out his elbow. The new curve lacks command and bite. He needs a LOT to change if he wants to be in a starting rotation in the show and little time to make it happen with the Sox.

Brian26
07-10-2007, 08:08 PM
To me, he looked like he did on the Phillies and 2007 ST: tentative, scared, unconfident, and definitley resembled Scott Ruffcorn..

He reminded me a bit of Kip Wells circa 2001.

anewman35
07-10-2007, 08:52 PM

We pay Floyd nothing, we pay Jose lots. THAT'S why Jose needs to go. I'm not sure what trading Floyd would accomplish at all.

champagne030
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM
We pay Floyd nothing, we pay Jose lots. THAT'S why Jose needs to go. I'm not sure what trading Floyd would accomplish at all.

It would gain another lotto ticket or maybe better. Floyd's lotto ticket expires next spring. I'd also love to see someone takes Jose's salary off our books for the next few years. Break even to me is if we don't need to kick in salary. Anything over that is gravy...A couple of good starts after the break would increase that price. :D:

Soxfanspcu11
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Am I the only one who would like to see Charlie Haegar get another shot at some point this year??

oeo
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM

This is laughable. Masset has had his control problems, but he 'stinks?' :rolleyes:

JB98
07-10-2007, 10:34 PM
This is laughable. Masset has had his control problems, but he 'stinks?' :rolleyes:

Masset has a 7.34 ERA, along with 25 walks and only 20 Ks. Right now, yeah, he stinks.

He doesn't have good command of his fastball. If he could just get ahead in the count, his deuce is good enough to put people away. The problem is he's 3-1 on batters all the time.

I'm not giving up on him because I think he has a good arm. I just think he belongs in Charlotte, starting games and getting innings.

champagne030
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM

Yes, do you think Aardsma doesn't stink? :dunno:

rowand33
07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Am I the only one who would like to see Charlie Haegar get another shot at some point this year??

I would love, love, love for Charlie Haegar to come up at some point. He won me over last September.

I'm pretty sure he's stuggling in AAA, though.

kittle42
07-10-2007, 11:37 PM
So, exactly why do you think he stinks?

Is it the fact that he has a tendency to tip his breaking ball?

The fact that he has to learn to keep his fast ball down in the zone?

Or is it something I haven't noticed that you consider uncorrectable with work?

I didn't say his problem wasn't uncorrectable. He just shouldn't be correcting it in the majors.

kittle42
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Masset has a 7.34 ERA, along with 25 walks and only 20 Ks. Right now, yeah, he stinks.

He doesn't have good command of his fastball. If he could just get ahead in the count, his deuce is good enough to put people away. The problem is he's 3-1 on batters all the time.

I'm not giving up on him because I think he has a good arm. I just think he belongs in Charlotte, starting games and getting innings.

Thanks.

Since when does just "having control problems" make one ok? When you have control problems and then strand the bases loaded routinely, fine. When you have a 7.34 ERA, you stink. No question about it. There is no "good" or even "mediocre" 7.34 pitcher. You're right, maybe he doesn't stink...he kinda sucks.

Did I ever say get rid of him if that's what you're implying? No. Send him down to work it out.

santo=dorf
07-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Yes, do you think Aardsma doesn't stink? :dunno:
Don't bother with it. This same guy is willing to write off Brian Anderson after one tough season, yet Masset is simply having "control problems." No biggie.

I'm sure he'll flip flop and side with management when they send Masset down eventually.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Welcome to Ban-ville, poster before mine.

dickallen15
07-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Masset does stink. He was horrible in the minors except for last season when they made him a reliever. He's been a terrible starter in the minors, now all the "experts" here think he'd make a great starter. Kenny Williams sold a bill of goods with this guy and still half the people are buying it. He fans hardly anyone. He walks a lot of guys and gives up a lot of hits. He has about as much chance being a reliable major league pitcher as Gustavo Molina has of hitting .300.

DumpJerry
07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Welcome to Ban-ville, poster before mine.
Leave the moderating to the Moderators.

JB98
07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks.

Since when does just "having control problems" make one ok? When you have control problems and then strand the bases loaded routinely, fine. When you have a 7.34 ERA, you stink. No question about it. There is no "good" or even "mediocre" 7.34 pitcher. You're right, maybe he doesn't stink...he kinda sucks.

Did I ever say get rid of him if that's what you're implying? No. Send him down to work it out.

No, you didn't say that. You and I seem to be on the same page in this discussion. Nick Masset could help us in the future, but he is contributing very little right now.

I just wanted to point out that I wasn't giving up on him as a pre-emptive strike against those who complain that we are not patient enough with young players.