PDA

View Full Version : Corked Bat Episode Redux

minastirith67
07-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Check out this article by Fred Mitchell in the Cubune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070709mitchell,1,1983616.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

"Several sources close to the Cubs have told me Sosa was not the only Cubs player who used a corked bat, at least in 2003. On the night Sosa's bat exploded for all to see, officials from Major League Baseball notified the Cubs organization during the game that they had one hour to get rid of any other corked bats of Sosa's in the team's clubhouse before they came down to inspect his arsenal of bats. More than 70 marked corked bats then were extricated quickly by Cubs personnel from the clubhouse, about a third of them belonging to other players."

:o:

Wow. Sox fans always suspected something but who knew the problem went that deep? This just proves to me even more that that team is a disgrace.

HomeFish
07-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Even if the Cubs got to the 2003 postseason by cheating, their fall was sufficiently entertaining that I think we should let it slide.

The Racehorse
07-10-2007, 02:21 AM
officials from Major League Baseball notified the Cubs organization during the game that they had one hour to get rid of any other corked bats of Sosa's in the team's clubhouse before they came down to inspect his arsenal of bats

Why would MLB tell them that? That makes no sense.

UserNameBlank
07-10-2007, 02:29 AM
http://kopykat.up.seesaa.net/image/Sweeping_under_the_carpet.jpg

oeo
07-10-2007, 02:35 AM

Why did they ignore steroids?

VenturaFan23
07-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Even if the Cubs got to the 2003 postseason by cheating, their fall was sufficiently entertaining that I think we should let it slide.

http://www.tvsnob.com/images/earl-thumb.jpg

"Karma Randy. It's a funny thing."

itsnotrequired
07-10-2007, 06:55 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070709mitchell,1,1983616.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

"Several sources close to the Cubs have told me Sosa was not the only Cubs player who used a corked bat, at least in 2003. On the night Sosa's bat exploded for all to see, officials from Major League Baseball notified the Cubs organization during the game that they had one hour to get rid of any other corked bats of Sosa's in the team's clubhouse before they came down to inspect his arsenal of bats. More than 70 marked corked bats then were extricated quickly by Cubs personnel from the clubhouse, about a third of them belonging to other players."

Wow. Sox fans always suspected something but who knew the problem went that deep? This just proves to me even more that that team is a disgrace.

Have you heard that Buehrle has been signed for 4 yr/$50 million? No wait, talks have broke down. Oh, it is back on! Oops, off again!

DrCrawdad
07-10-2007, 07:51 AM

'There is no proof Sosa intentionally cheated...' so say Cubbie apologist Bruce LeVineLine and Les Grobstein
http://home.xnet.com/%7Ecmaddox/head_in_sand.gif

Juice16
07-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Seriously? Their home run king, human beanie baby is about to go down in front of a huge audience with the possibility he has been cheating all the long? Plus the rumors of steriods? I can totally see MLB doing this.

Viva Medias B's
07-10-2007, 10:43 AM

In criminal law, wouldn't that be obstruction of justice?

spiffie
07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
'There is no proof Sosa intentionally cheated...' so say Cubbie apologist Bruce LeVineLine and Les Grobstein

The sad thing is this story would possibly give credence to that idea. If the organization was doing the corking on a wide-scale basis suddenly Sosa could claim, not really plausibly, but with enough of an alibi to at least back up his defenders, that he never really knew anything was going on. In its own bizarre way this is the Trib possibly backing up its old hero.

The Racehorse
07-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Why did they ignore steroids?

Seriously? Their home run king, human beanie baby is about to go down in front of a huge audience with the possibility he has been cheating all the long? Plus the rumors of steriods? I can totally see MLB doing this.

Sure, I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

In criminal law, wouldn't that be obstruction of justice?

I'm no lawyer, but that line in the article reeks of complicity to a cover-up at worst, or obstruction in the least.

whitem0nkey
07-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Did you guys see this at the bottom of the article?

the list of auction items at the Kerry Wood Strike Zone Celebrity Bowling Tournament is an autographed urinal from the clubhouse at Wrigley Field

Dan Mega
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
:rolling:

The Critic
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM

the list of auction items at the Kerry Wood Strike Zone Celebrity Bowling Tournament is an autographed urinal from the clubhouse at Wrigley Field
I was just about to post that!
You can't make this stuff up!

Irishsox1
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Corked bats don't help the ball go farther, in fact it makes it travels less. If a player wants more bat speed, they should get a lighter bat or choke up. The success of corked bats for the most part is all mental.

Lip Man 1
07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
In a story in Sports Illustrated Norm Cash talked about how he won the 1962 A.L. batting title using corked bats, then in a series of pictures from his home workshop showed how he doctored his bats.

Lip

bryPt
07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
This is major in 2 ways. First off, it has been reported in the Cubune. 2nd, the 2nd biggest cub ass kisser is writing it. I fell out of my chair when I saw this. This points to signs that Zell may be throwing his weight around at the tower. Who knows.

Now if Phlip Phlop Rogers wrote this article, the world would have ended.

champagne030
07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Corked bats don't help the ball go farther, in fact it makes it travels less. If a player wants more bat speed, they should get a lighter bat or choke up. The success of corked bats for the most part is all mental.

Or hollow out some wood and replace it with cork. :cool:

munchman33
07-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Not only does cork make a bat incredibly faster, but it also causes the bat to flatten on contact, increasing the sweat spot on the bat immensely. Flares become line drives and flyout become homeruns. Maximum distance the ball can travel would be decreased, but balls that would never travel far end up hitting the stands.

PatK
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Here's a link to a study on doctoring bats
http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats-new/Papers/TokyoDoctoredBats.pdf (http://www.kettering.edu/%7Edrussell/bats-new/Papers/TokyoDoctoredBats.pdf)

Basically, corking is more likely to reduce performance.

Best way to doctor a bat is to shave a little off the barrell.

Jaffar
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Here's a link to a study on doctoring bats
http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats-new/Papers/TokyoDoctoredBats.pdf (http://www.kettering.edu/%7Edrussell/bats-new/Papers/TokyoDoctoredBats.pdf)

Basically, corking is more likely to reduce performance.

Best way to doctor a bat is to shave a little off the barrell.

I read that a little differently, less performance from the bat as far as distance goes but more performance from the player being able to handle the bat better to hit better pitches.

The Racehorse
07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Or hollow out some wood and replace it with cork. :cool:

Sosa is a cork guy, Billy Hatcher preferred super balls... all I know is that everytime time there's a broken bat, I'm bowing my neck to see if there's any nefarious activity going on. :D:

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2007, 05:29 PM
The success of corked bats for the most part is all mental.Thank you Yogi. :tongue:

vegyrex
07-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Wow, 70 corked bats and MLB assisted in the cover up.:o:

Vernam
07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Thank you Yogi. :tongue:MLB X-rayed Sammy's bats (and head), but found nothing. :wink:

Vernam

hellenicsoxfan
07-11-2007, 07:00 PM

Is it autographed by Wood and Prior since it seems that's where their careers reside?

MarySwiss
07-11-2007, 07:55 PM

I must be tired! When I first read this, I registered it as an "autographed trough from Wrigley Field."

Yecchhhh!