PDA

View Full Version : Crede Rehab

peelwonder
07-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I did a search and didn't see it posted but I saw a blurb about Crede starting a rehab in AZ. Anyone else see this?

rdivaldi
07-09-2007, 09:28 PM
From USA Today ---

"3B Joe Crede is still restricted from any type of physical activity, after he had back surgery last month to help relieve the pain he was having with two herniated discs. If Crede follows his rehab schedule perfectly with no setbacks, there would be a chance that he could return for the final month of the season, but no one in the organization is counting on that."

soxfanreggie
07-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't think I'd really want to see that either. You would have someone out of the game for a few months with a higher chance to reinjure. Unless we're a few games out and we think he could help us, give it a thought. If not, shut him down for the season. Also would probably help us with an arbitrator if he doesn't play anymore this season.

peelwonder
07-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Here's the linky.....

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/07/crede-update.html

Jaffar
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Or would they allow him to play so he we have trade value in the offseason? It doesn't sound like he'll be healthy enough to play before the end of the season but that's a different way to look at it.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Side question: Apart from the number of days (obviously) before a player can return, what's the difference between the 15-day DL and the 60-day DL?

And what about the differences between the two DLs makes the Sox decide, for example, that Crede - who's defninitely going to be gone longer than 60 days - should stay on the 15-day DL, while Ozuna goes to the 60-day DL?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

twentywontowin
07-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Side question: Apart from the number of days (obviously) before a player can return, what's the difference between the 15-day DL and the 60-day DL?

And what about the differences between the two DLs makes the Sox decide, for example, that Crede - who's defninitely going to be gone longer than 60 days - should stay on the 15-day DL, while Ozuna goes to the 60-day DL?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

When you go on the 60-day DL, you can be taken off the roster to bring someone else up. You can't do that with the 15-day.

Taliesinrk
07-10-2007, 10:57 AM
When you go on the 60-day DL, you can be taken off the roster to bring someone else up. You can't do that with the 15-day.

:?:

twentywontowin
07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
:?:

I should have been more clear. If you go on the 60-day DL, you do not count on the 40-man roster.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
I should have been more clear. If you go on the 60-day DL, you do not count on the 40-man roster.

Thanks for the answer.

My next question would be (and it's a rhetorical question), why was Crede only put on the 15-day DL? Once he went under the knife, wasn't it obvious that he would not return for at least two months? The only thing I can think of is that the Sox didn't want to burn an option on a prospect who wasn't already on the 40-man roster.

KenBerryGrab
07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the Sox didn't want to burn an option on a prospect who wasn't already on the 40-man roster.

That is probably right.

RowanDye
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Does anyone with some medical knowledge know about the success rate of this surgery?

Has anyone in baseball had this surgery and returned to play?

Obviously with the reluctance to have the surgery in the first place, it doesn't sound good.

But what are the chances we'll see a return of our gold-glove, silver-slugger?

santo=dorf
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Does anyone with some medical knowledge know about the success rate of this surgery?

Has anyone in baseball had this surgery and returned to play?

Obviously with the reluctance to have the surgery in the first place, it doesn't sound good.

But what are the chances we'll see a return of our gold-glove, silver-slugger?
Crede has never won a gold glove (although he is top notch,) and his Silver Slugger award last year was undeserving.

He could come back to baseball, but I think his career with the Sox is ovah.

RowanDye
07-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Crede has never won a gold glove (although he is top notch,) and his Silver Slugger award last year was undeserving.

He could come back to baseball, but I think his career with the Sox is ovah.

I know he hasn't won a gold-glove, but almost or should-of-been gold-glover didn't sound as nice.

He was a gold-glover in my eyes.

As for the Silver Slugger award, I don't know. You can argue for or against just about every award given. All I know is that Crede deserved some type of award for the '05 and '06 seasons he put up.

If he is able to come back, why couldn't it be with the Sox?

I like Josh Fields as a cheap option at 3rd, but if we're trying to win it all next year I don't know about his defense.

If Crede would sign a cheap, 1 yr., incentive-laden contract, then maybe you try to see if Josh can learn to play LF.

Jaffar
07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
We have control of Crede next year.

INSox56
07-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I know he hasn't won a gold-glove, but almost or should-of-been gold-glover didn't sound as nice.

He was a gold-glover in my eyes.

As for the Silver Slugger award, I don't know. You can argue for or against just about every award given. All I know is that Crede deserved some type of award for the '05 and '06 seasons he put up.

If he is able to come back, why couldn't it be with the Sox?

I like Josh Fields as a cheap option at 3rd, but if we're trying to win it all next year I don't know about his defense.

If Crede would sign a cheap, 1 yr., incentive-laden contract, then maybe you try to see if Josh can learn to play LF.

What purpose would that serve, really? You'd lose Crede after a year potentially, meanwhile turning your next best option for 3B even worse at the position by taking him off of it for a year or two...The only way I'd ever want to see Fields in LF is if we signed crede long-term, which I highly doubt. And if that happened, we might as well trade Fields for a comparably-good OF prospect who already knows the position.

Back to Crede....Boras is such an assclown. Surgery was "a very easy fix and the doctor (Robert Watkins) is very optimistic about Joe's full return and just a matter of time in him going forward." Oh is he, Scott? Then why, if it's so "very easy" didn't he get it done in the offseason? Oh yeah, because he listened to the doctors you told Joe to go to. ...*******

eriqjaffe
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
The only thing I can think of is that the Sox didn't want to burn an option on a prospect who wasn't already on the 40-man roster.Putting somebody on the 60-day DL doesn't obligate a team to replace him on the 40-man roster, though.

IronFisk
07-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Shut him down. This isn't like Jordan coming back to Bulls following his foot injury. Let him rest for next year.

RowanDye
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
What purpose would that serve, really?

...to win another ring next year. Garland is a free agent after next year, Thome and Konerko are getting older. We need as much fire power as we can get next year, and if Crede is cheap and healthy it upgrades 3B while taking some pressure off of having to improve elsewhere.

INSox56
07-10-2007, 03:11 PM
...to win another ring next year. Garland is a free agent after next year, Thome and Konerko are getting older. We need as much fire power as we can get next year, and if Crede is cheap and healthy it upgrades 3B while taking some pressure off of having to improve elsewhere. I thought you meant signing him a year after 08. I know that technically his contract next year will be another 1-year contract as was this year, but I usually never call it that.

RockJock07
07-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Let Crede rehab, if he comes back next season, the sox need to trade him. Fields' defense will improve, he's gonna need to play winter ball.

Secondly, the Sox can win a WS with Fields at 3rd, we don't need Crede to win it. With the proper moves made by Kenny, the Sox can survive with a "rookie" thirdbasemen. Konerko isn't that old, he's 29 or 30, still has 4-5 solid years left and doesn't get hurt at all. Thome is a problem, his back really scares me, I kinda want Kenny to move him and get an Adam Dunn who is basically the same player but younger.

eriqjaffe
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Konerko isn't that old, he's 29 or 30He's 31, actually.

Flight #24
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
The key to Crede is whether they're able to bite the bullet and pay him a couple mil (prorated amount on his ~$5-6M salary in arbitration). Doing that would hopefully enable them to trade him and get some value. The risk is that he doesn't perform and is untradeable and they effectively waste the cash. But the upside is that if they get a decent prospect for him, they effectively purchased that guy for whatever they pay Crede.

RowanDye
07-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Let Crede rehab, if he comes back next season, the sox need to trade him. Fields' defense will improve, he's gonna need to play winter ball.

Secondly, the Sox can win a WS with Fields at 3rd, we don't need Crede to win it. With the proper moves made by Kenny, the Sox can survive with a "rookie" thirdbasemen. Konerko isn't that old, he's 29 or 30, still has 4-5 solid years left and doesn't get hurt at all. Thome is a problem, his back really scares me, I kinda want Kenny to move him and get an Adam Dunn who is basically the same player but younger.

Yes we can win with Fields, but IMO a healthy Crede gives us the best chance to win next year.

Signing Buehrle signaled faith in the current roster, and it should be accompanied with a win now while you can attitude (without mortgaging the future of course).

Speedy returns Crede, I hope you come back next year and prove all the doubters/haters wrong by leading us to another championship!!