PDA

View Full Version : Khalil Greene and Scott Linebrink

soxfan43
07-09-2007, 01:27 PM
There was an article in todays Daily Herald about the potential moves Kenny might make in the 2nd half. One was Uribe and JD for Linebrink and Khalil Green. I don't get to see the NL west teams play too often, but what are everyone's thoughts on Khalil Green. The Sox obviously need a younger upgrade at SS. Does Green fit the bill here?

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=329774

JermaineDye05
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
So thatís why the White Sox are much more likely to make a deal such as the one rumored to be Dye and Uribe to the San Diego Padres for shortstop Khalil Greene and relief pitcher Scott Linebrink.

Link (http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=329774)

if true, not sure what I think of the deal. Greene would be a major upgrade over Uribe at shortstop, and Linebrink could be a big help in the pen. Dye would be a tough loss, although he hasn't done much average wise for the team and with Sweeney waiting down in Charlotte it could work.

JermaineDye05
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
damn you, beat me to it.

MeteorsSox4367
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
If this is a real possibility, do it now. Greene would be a definite upgrade at short and Linebrink would help the bullpen tremendously. Greene would have to wear a new number since Baines has 3, but I'd definitely take this trade.

munchman33
I can't believe San Diego would be foolish enough to do that deal. If I were Kenny, I'd pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat.

QCIASOXFAN
I don't like it, I love it.:smile:

Madvora
07-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't believe San Diego would be foolish enough to do that deal. If I were Kenny, I'd pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat.
I'm not too familiar with the NL. What's so good about Greene? He's hitting .243. Is it the contract that's a positive?

frankie_ventura
07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
That would be a great trade for the White Sox but I do not see the Padres doing that. Every team is dying for relief help especially the Tigers and Indians. Why would the Padres trade one of the best setup men in the game and Greene for an injured rent a player and erratic shortstop who are both hitting under .240?

It is just the Daily Herald guy talking out of his butt a la Joe Cowley or Bruce Levine

MeteorsSox4367
07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Greene's better with the bat than a .243 average would suggest. Plus, he has a great deal of range. Make this trade now. This trade would weigh so heavily in the Sox' favor that Kenny Williams should throw in some funnel cakes or churros to even it out.

oeo
07-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Linebrink is a free agent after this year, and Greene isn't anything special. He's basically another Uribe, except he has bad hair.

munchman33
07-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not too familiar with the NL. What's so good about Greene? He's hitting .243. Is it the contract that's a positive?

Good defender, pop in his bat. Has a hole in his swing, but so did Uribe. Very grinder-like type of player though. Gets about $2 million this year. Arbitration next two years.

Linebrink is a stud.

captainclutch24
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Khalil Greene is hitting in a very pitcher friendly ball park. He is putting up career numbers in HRs and RBIs right now. Linebrink would be great to have, but the Padres aren't that stupid. Plus wheres he gonna play. Brian Giles, Mike Cameron and Milton Bradley play in the outfield and they picked up Milton becasue they needed speed on the basepaths. Plus Dye is a rental

nodiggity59
07-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Linebrink is a free agent after this year, and Greene isn't anything special. He's basically another Uribe, except he has bad hair.

Greene is not anything special, but he is an upgrade over Uribe. Plus, he's cheaper.

Linebrink would then be great trade bait to a contender.

I'm not sure we could expect much better for a Dye / Uribe package.

soxfan43
07-09-2007, 01:44 PM
After checking out his stats, it doesn't look like he'd add a whole lot other than the previously mentioned bad hair. Linebrink would help, but hes a free agent. Hopefully Kenny can find a young top tier prospect at shortstop, because I can't handle another year of Uribe.

oeo
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Greene is not anything special, but he is an upgrade over Uribe. Plus, he's cheaper.

Linebrink would then be great trade bait to a contender.

I'm not sure we could expect much better for a Dye / Uribe package.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, but munchman acted like we were making highway robbery if it fell through.

munchman33
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Linebrink is a free agent after this year

And Kenny is in buy mode. Haven't you heard?

oeo
07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
And Kenny is in buy mode. Haven't you heard?

And again, you're acting like this trade would be robbery for us. We're getting a FA and another Uribe...it's not that much.

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2007, 01:56 PM
I like it.:smile:

PatK
07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
If there is any truth to that rumor it would have already been done.

chisoxmike
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I highly doubt this ever happens.

soxfan43
07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Buster Olney brought this up in his ESPN chat today. I guess Kenny made the offer a few weeks ago and San Diego shot it down. He doesn't expect the Sox to get much for Buehrle and even mentions it might come to Kenny just holding onto Dye for the draft pick.

QCIASOXFAN
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Buster Olney brought this up in his ESPN chat today. I guess Kenny made the offer a few weeks ago and San Diego shot it down. He doesn't expect the Sox to get much for Buehrle and even mentions it might come to Kenny just holding onto Dye for the draft pick.
What?:?:

oeo
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
What?:?:

I'm guessing that Buehrle is supposed to be 'Dye.' :dunno:

twsoxfan5
07-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Peter Gammons was talking on Baseball Tonight last night and he said that the Sox where looking for Greene in a trade for Dye and that there was no way San Diego was going to do that. I really like this deal but I don't see San Diego giving up that much.

munchman33
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
And again, you're acting like this trade would be robbery for us. We're getting a FA and another Uribe...it's not that much.

No. We're getting a stud reliever who's been good for the better part of six seasons. Kenny would probably try to resign him.

Greene is a better hitter than Uribe. And he's cheaper and he'd be here for two and a half more seasons, at least.

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Linebrink is a rent-a-player with a 4.32 ERA away from Petco Park and Greene is hitting .243 in the NL. Not impressed.

oeo
07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
No. We're getting a stud reliever who's been good for the better part of six seasons. Kenny would probably try to resign him.

But therein lies the reason San Diego may be willing to part with Linebrink, if they don't think they can re-sign him. I don't see it happening as they've got a good shot at going to the postseason, but it's possible.

Greene is a better hitter than Uribe. And he's cheaper and he'd be here for two and a half more seasons, at least.Uribe: good defender, has some pop, doesn't hit for average or get on base.
Greene: good defender, has some pop, doesn't hit for average or get on base.

They're essentially the same player...but Greene is cheaper.

Not to mention, I think Dye will have a killer second half with whatever team he goes to. Those numbers can't stay that low.

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
We're getting a stud reliever who's been good for the better part of six seasons.

Many pitchers are studs in Petco Park.

DeadMoney
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
This could qualify as really old news (Link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20070707-9999-1s7padnotes.html)), and as some have said - no way SD would do it:

" Before the Padres acquired Bradley, they asked the White Sox about outfielder Jermaine Dye and were told the price would be shortstop Khalil Greene and reliever Scott Linebrink. End of discussion."

The Racehorse
07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Khalil Greene is hitting in a very pitcher friendly ball park. He is putting up career numbers in HRs and RBIs right now. Linebrink would be great to have, but the Padres aren't that stupid. Plus wheres he gonna play. Brian Giles, Mike Cameron and Milton Bradley play in the outfield and they picked up Milton becasue they needed speed on the basepaths. Plus Dye is a rental

Petco actually is a very friendly pitchers park.

As for Greene, his splits show he's a better hitter on the road than at home.

Linebrink? He's awesome, and the Padres are RP rich. Who knows, maybe they feel they can deal him [and not pay him?] to make their team stronger for the stretch run.

They just acquired Milton Bradley... why would they now want Dye, who's banged up... let alone swapping Greene for Uribe?

If this is real and still on the table, hell freaking yes... a change at SS is in order for both Uribe & the Sox. Who cares about Greene's low AVG & OBP, we'll all grow old waiting to get the next high-AVG-high-OPB-&-SLG -great-glove-and-great-range-shortstop... and Linebrink would be a great start in rebuilding the bully...

... if this trade would ever happen, which I highly doubt.

DSpivack
07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Why would they trade Greene for Dye? This season, Greene almost appears to be the power hitter.

oeo
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Why would they trade Greene for Dye? This season, Greene almost appears to be the power hitter.

They're not going to, they already have Milton Bradley. If Dye is traded, it won't be to San Diego.

Apparently the Mets have interest, though (not sure why :dunno:).

Jaffar
07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
They're not going to, they already have Milton Bradley. If Dye is traded, it won't be to San Diego.

How many World Series MVP's do these NL teams currently have on thier rosters? I think that is why there is interest in JD.

QCIASOXFAN
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
How many World Series MVP's do these NL teams currently have on thier rosters? I think that is why there is interest in JD.
David Eckstein has a World Series MVP.:dunno:

Taliesinrk
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
This thread should be dead. The Padres got Bradley, therefore it's an end of discussion. There is no way they deal for Dye now, which is too bad because Greene would be some awesome young talent. Once again, he's probably a Rowand-type SS (I'm not obsessed with AR either.. just that's his type of attitude). Plus, the Padres could have used someone to get Cameron out of the #4 hole and put some real pop in there.

I just can't see San Diego wanting anything to do with the deal now though. If this thread was 2 weeks ago, I would have been excited.

santo=dorf
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Linebrink is a rent-a-player with a 4.32 ERA away from Petco Park and Greene is hitting .243 in the NL. Not impressed.
If you are playing with splits for one player, why not do it with the other? :?:

Greene's career on the road: .274/.334/.507/.842
For a shortstop that looks good to me.

Linebrink, Home/Road era, Home/Road WHIP:
2007: 1.19/4.50, .79/1.50
2006: 3.19/3.92, 1.25/1.18
2005: 3.31/.66 , 1.47/.73
2004: 1.93/2.36, 1.12/.95

With the exception of this season he looks pretty damn solid away from petco to me

munchman33
07-09-2007, 05:07 PM
If you are playing with splits for one player, why not do it with the other? :?:

probably because it disproves his point. :tongue:

BadBobbyJenks
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
So we pick up an equivalent short stop, add a domiant reliever for a guy we are losing at the end of the season....Im not sure about that one

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Greene's career on the road: .274/.334/.507/.842
For a shortstop that looks good to me.

Who said anything about career numbers? His away numbers this year are .261/.305/.484. Plus, his average has dropped every year since 2004 and he hasn't played more than 121 games in a season since 2004. I just don't see him as real improvement over Uribe.

Linebrink, Home/Road era, Home/Road WHIP:
2007: 1.19/4.50, .79/1.50
2006: 3.19/3.92, 1.25/1.18
2005: 3.31/.66 , 1.47/.73
2004: 1.93/2.36, 1.12/.95

With the exception of this season he looks pretty damn solid away from petco to me

Yeah, Linebrink was lights out in 2005. So was Cliff Politte.

Your numbers show a worrying trend for someone who will be looking for a multi-year deal and could turn out to be mediocre once he's away from Petco Park.

Jjav829
07-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Ahh, crap. I want Khalil Greene on the Sox. :(:

tick53
07-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey Chairman, if Khalil Greene comes to the Sox, will you make him cut his hair too?

I definetely like this rumor..:smile:

rowand33
07-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Uribe: good defender, has some pop, doesn't hit for average or get on base.
Greene: good defender, has some pop, doesn't hit for average or get on base.

They're essentially the same player...but Greene is cheaper.

Not to mention, I think Dye will have a killer second half with whatever team he goes to. Those numbers can't stay that low.

Greene is on pace for a 29 HR and 99 RBI at the allstar break... Uribe's never doen anything like that.

Greene's also young and would move from a pitchers ballpark to a good hitters park.

I don't think there's a GM in baseball that would refer to Greene and Uribe as the same player.

oeo
07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Greene is on pace for a 29 HR and 99 RBI at the allstar break... Uribe's never doen anything like that.

Greene's also young and would move from a pitchers ballpark to a good hitters park.

I don't think there's a GM in baseball that would refer to Greene and Uribe as the same player.

He has career highs in homeruns and RBIs right now. He's already matched his highest homerun total. Those may be up, but so are his strikeouts, and his walks have seen a fall. I'd rather have the 2004 Khalil Greene (who only hit 15HR, but hit for higher average and got on base more often) than the power-hitting, strikeout one that he is now.

Like I said, he's a good defender, hits for power, not for average nor does he get on base at a great clip, and isn't a big bag stealer. That sounds like Uribe in a nutshell. Maybe a better version because he'll give you some more dingers, but they're similar.

The Racehorse
07-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Ahh, crap. I want Khalil Greene on the Sox. :(:

Same here... despite me making fun of him via the Dynasty League smack talk.

KRS1
07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
The whole idea that we might somehow get Kalil out of JD should have died as soon as it was out there. The friars would be making a big mistake to take away a young important piece of their big club for a soon to be 33 year old FA. I do think we just hold on to Dye because we wont get anything of real value for him, despite the fact that he is more than capable of being a great middle of the line-up presence. I would rather just let him go and get the compensatory picks rather than sell for ten cents on the dollar. I wouldnt be apposed to dealing him if someone gives us reasonable compensation, but I wouldnt be in any rush to just make a deal, and I doubt KW is either. The same goes for Jose.

As for our options. The Mets need to make a deal for a pitcher now, because they are hurting for a good starter, the D-backs are also starting to slide and could really use JD's bat in their OF, The Dodgers could upgrade their SP situation as could the Padres with Wells and Maddux struggling, the Braves and the Phils are in a position to make a big move for their rotation, and push down the Mets by blocking them from getting a key piece and adding a SP of their own.

INSox56
07-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I'd take that in a heartbeat.

DSpivack
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM

They already have Moises Alou and Shawn Green. They need another aging OFer?

Taliesinrk
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM
They already have Moises Alou and Shawn Green. They need another aging OFer?

No, they need a world Series MVP so that they can make a run for this year. Although Dye has had a tough time as of late, I take him on my team before green or especially alou. It's not like they're stuck with him after the season - it's a "go or go home" situation.

07-12-2007, 08:48 AM
No Brainer trade, but JD going to hit in SD is not going ot help his Power Numbers.....Is Brian Giles out for the year? He normally plays right when healthy...

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 05:46 AM
A SS not named Uribe AND a reliever not named Bukvich?

Sign me up.

SOXSINCE'70
07-13-2007, 06:33 AM
I don't like it, I love it.:smile:

Sounds good to me.If the Padres are dumb enough to do this,
as stated earlier in this post by Munchman,KW should,
like a contestant on "Deal Or No Deal",scream out "DEAL!!!!":cool: