PDA

View Full Version : Where's the homegrown talent?

billcissell
07-09-2007, 12:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a few years ago Baseball America said that the White Sox had the top minor league development system in the majors. They pointed to guys like Jon Rausch, Korwin Malone, Miguel Oliva, a hotshot shortstop who's name eludes me, etc.

What happened? When you take a look at the current 40-man roster, only a few players came up through the Sox system: Fields, Anderson, Owens, Buerhle, Crede, Andy Gonzalez ...

I may be missing a few others. I'm trying to figure out how our farm system suddenly dried up. Any theories out there?

rdivaldi
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I may be missing a few others. I'm trying to figure out how our farm system suddenly dried up. Any theories out there?

This post would be better served in the minor league section.

But there have been a couple of factors, including KW having no problems trading minor league talent for major league talent.

JohnTucker0814
07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
This post would be better served in the minor league section.

But there have been a couple of factors, including KW having no problems trading minor league talent for major league talent.

True, KW doesn't mind trading minor league talent, however how much "talent" has he really traded. Chris Young to arizona, Jon Rauch is doing okay for Washington, Miguel Olivo is doing good for Florida... other than those 3 who else has done anything significant at the major league level? I don't think our system was good to begin with. It's hard to project what a system is going to do.

SoxxoS
07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Chris Young's HR numbers are great, but he doesnt walk and his average is .235 last I checked. Not good.

JB98
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a few years ago Baseball America said that the White Sox had the top minor league development system in the majors. They pointed to guys like Jon Rausch, Korwin Malone, Miguel Oliva, a hotshot shortstop who's name eludes me, etc.

What happened? When you take a look at the current 40-man roster, only a few players came up through the Sox system: Fields, Anderson, Owens, Buerhle, Crede, Andy Gonzalez ...

Owens is not originally from the Sox system. He was traded here from the Nationals in 2005.

Daver
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
From the period you are refering to, Rowand was promoted to the big league club and traded, Corwin Malone and Ryan Meaux got hurt, most of the rest of the top ten were traded for MLB players.