PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought...

nevr say dye sox
07-09-2007, 10:22 AM
What do you think about putting Contreas in the bullpen as our righty? I mean he usually has 2 good innings. We have Thorton as our lefty, then what I would do is make Jenks our set up guy and go out and sign BJ Ryan or the best closer possible. I think this will shorten the game, most of our starters will go 6 innings, bring Contreas in the 7th Jenks in the 8th and close it out with someone else. My thought is, where not going to get anything in return for Contreas might as well use him in a role where he can help us.

eriqjaffe
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
What do you think about putting Contreas in the bullpen as our righty? I mean he usually has 2 good innings. We have Thorton as our lefty, then what I would do is make Jenks our set up guy and go out and sign BJ Ryan or the best closer possible. I think this will shorten the game, most of our starters will go 6 innings, bring Contreas in the 7th Jenks in the 8th and close it out with someone else. My thought is, where not going to get anything in return for Contreas might as well use him in a role where he can help us.Umm...BJ Ryan is in the middle of a 5-year contract with Toronto. Oh, and he's out for the year, and having Tommy John surgery. Who knows if he'll ever be effective again. I agree that the Sox need to go out in the off-season and sign a couple of proven, reliable bullpen arms, but Bobby Jenks is doing just fine as the closer. 21/24 in save opportunities. I'll take that any day.

I'd have no problem moving Contreras to the pen, but who would replace him in the rotation? Floyd? Masset? Therein lies the rub.

pythons007
07-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Why in the hell would we waste money on something that we already have? Jenks is a top teir closer and we pay him peanuts! Why would we go get B.J. Ryan (who is out for the rest of the season with arm problems and pay him a **** load of money) or anyone else for that matter?

I'm sure there are people out there that would take Contreras off our hands because
1. He has playoff experience.
2. He is a very good pitcher.
3. Has a World Series under his belt.
4. Not to mention he has years left on his contract.

Just trust KW!

lostfan
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
In theory it's a good idea, in practice it's crazy and farfetched and makes little to no sense. But this went way off base when talking about replacing Jenks as the closer and making him a setup guy... what's all that about?

eriqjaffe
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Remember last year, when everybody said that Vazquez should me moved to the pen because he was untouchable for the first 5 innings?