PDA

View Full Version : Is this the beginning of the market correction KW talked about last year?

jabrch
07-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Mark gets 14mm. Javy gets 11.5. Maybe Zambrano won't get 18+? Maybe Santana won't get 20?

rdivaldi
07-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Mark gets 14mm. Javy gets 11.5. Maybe Zambrano won't get 18+? Maybe Santana won't get 20?

It probably all depends on who is spending this offseason. If the Yankees are going to overhaul their team, then the market correction might not happen until 2009.

AJ Hellraiser
07-09-2007, 01:59 AM
I think it's more a sign of a few things:

1--The Sox being a better organization then people give them credit for and players wanting to stay on the South Side

2-- KW being a master negotiator

3-- Chicago being a great city

4-- A bit of a winning tradition since 2000

The bottom line is that Buehrle, Javy and Konerko have all taken less money to remain in a White Sox uniform... coincidence? I'd sure like to think not!

MUsoxfan
07-09-2007, 02:22 AM
The bottom line is that Buehrle, Javy and Konerko have all taken less money to remain in a White Sox uniform... coincidence? I'd sure like to think not!

Garland probably took less than market value to stay when he signed his last deal, Pierzynski just asked the team to make a "fair offer" and he took it, Dye wanted to come here and play for less money than he was offered elsewhere. Cintron could have probably been an everyday player with another team, but chose to come here and play a reserved role.

35th & Shields isn't really a bad place to play. Alot of our players past, present and future seem to like it

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2007, 02:23 AM
What the Yankees pay doesn't necessarily "set the market" for other teams, it just "sets the market" for what it costs to get players to come and play in that pressure cooker.

DumpJerry
07-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Barry Zito is correcting the market each time he takes The Hump.

Foulke You
07-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Amen to that. By year 3, people may be talking about that one in the same light as they do the infamous Chan Ho Park and Mike Hampton contracts. What's the deal with Zito this year out in SF anyway? Why is he struggling so much? Hard to believe that he has declined so far in such a short stretch of time. Seems like not that long ago he was winning 23 games and a Cy Young.

oeo
07-09-2007, 05:47 PM
It probably all depends on who is spending this offseason. If the Yankees are going to overhaul their team, then the market correction might not happen until 2009.

The general feeling is that the Yankees are going to do this...but how? Their dumb asses signed those albatross contracts, they're screwed for another year.

At least in our situation, we can do a complete overhaul. Our entire outfield, gone, middle infield, likely the same. The Yankees have Matsui, Damon, Giambi...what are they going to do with those guys?

JB98
07-09-2007, 06:54 PM

That's a good point. If Zito throws the ball poorly all year, it will be quite a cautionary tale for next offseason.

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 07:07 PM

You nailed it. :gulp:

Noneck
07-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Lets wait for someone beside the "correction maker" to make a correction before any conclusions are made.

FarWestChicago
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Amen to that. By year 3, people may be talking about that one in the same light as they do the infamous Chan Ho Park and Mike Hampton contracts. What's the deal with Zito this year out in SF anyway? Why is he struggling so much? Hard to believe that he has declined so far in such a short stretch of time. Seems like not that long ago he was winning 23 games and a Cy Young.Better pot on that side of the Bay. :smokin:

JB98
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Amen to that. By year 3, people may be talking about that one in the same light as they do the infamous Chan Ho Park and Mike Hampton contracts. What's the deal with Zito this year out in SF anyway? Why is he struggling so much? Hard to believe that he has declined so far in such a short stretch of time. Seems like not that long ago he was winning 23 games and a Cy Young.

He struggled at the end of last season. His velocity was down, and he was having trouble throwing his deuce for strikes.

Anyone who had scouted Zito last season could have forecasted this downturn for him. Somebody was going to be a damn fool in the Zito sweepstakes, and it turned out to be the Giants.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Better pot on that side of the Bay. :smokin:

Speaking from experience? :redface::tongue:

Oblong
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
The first off season after the CBA is signed has been a jackpot for the free agents that year. Then in the years after that, sensibility reigns.

I hope it's a market correction. I like it when guys stay with their original teams or those teams they become stars with.

JorgeFabregas
07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't think you can compare the market for guys resigning during spring training and the regular season with the free agent market. Mark probably lost dollars as compared to what he could've made, but he's also gaining security and stability--he could have a career-threatening injury in the second half or he could tank. It's a delicate calculation. We really won't have any idea how the market looks till the off-season.

I personally doubt that salaries will go down. They might stagnate, but that's it.

SOXfnNlansing
07-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I think that Reinsdorph still has bad memories of Steve Sax Jaime Nivarro and Dan Pasqua:o:

I know I still do:angry:

Fenway
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
The top of the line pitchers will still get big bucks. All you need is the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox going after the same pitcher....

Red Sox took a gamble last year when they signed Beckett to a 3 year extension at 30 million. Beckett would have been a free agent after this season and can you imagine what he could get based on his first half?