PDA

View Full Version : Honest self-appraisal of Buehrle negotiations

Railsplitter
07-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Now that the dust has setteled, let's be honest about ourselves.

If it had been another player on another team, and the same deal, would you have have said "Just sign the damn contract"?

I say yes, because that's what I was thinking of about Buehrle.

nccwsfan
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Yes. When it's clear that both parties want to work something out there's no reason that it can't get done. It's all part of the business, and kudos to the CWS and Buehrle/Berry (sp?) for working towards an agreement where everybody wins...except the other teams in the AL :D:.

CaptainPaul
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes. When it's clear that both parties want to work something out there's no reason that it can't get done.

Tell that to anyone currently employed by ESPN.

Jerome
07-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I think the situation is kind of unique because Buehrle turned down so much money on the open market in favor of staying with the sox

Daver
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I think the situation is kind of unique because Buehrle turned down so much money on the open market in favor of staying with the sox

He didn't turn down anything, he chose a contract he thought was fair to play where he feels comfortable, and signed it.

ChetChat
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
If it had been another player on another team, and the same deal, would you have have said "Just sign the damn contract"?

No, because if it was another team besides the White Sox, I really wouldn't have cared.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 09:56 PM
It's all part of the business, and kudos to the CWS and Buehrle/Berry (sp?) for working towards an agreement where everybody wins...except the other teams in the AL :D:.

Kudos to Jamie Buehrle too.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Kudos to Jamie Buehrle too.

May she have a safe and healthy delivery and a happy life here in Chicago!

I heard Mark say in an interview after the game that if he hadn't thought it was a fair contract he wouldn't have signed it. Seems obvious, but some reporter had to ask, I guess.

hawkjt
07-09-2007, 12:36 AM
based on the minor passing mention on BB Tonite tonite, it really was only a big story among sox fans.. just like I could not care less what happens to bigZ on the North Side or any other teams negotiations for that matter.

I think this speaks to Mark Buehrle's character and personality.. we all know that he is a good ole boy from mizzou who has his priorities in proper order.. he is one of those rare pros that is not driven by money first.. altho he is finanacially secure for life,now.. but he did not want the last buck..that is clear and pretty rare.. he said in his postgame PC that his agent works for him and Jamie and so their desires were always uppermost... I like that.

hose
07-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Now that Burls is signed I'm sure the media will start in with the Cubs and BIG Z.

To be honest all the contract talk with Mark was a distraction to the team. I would rather it all got done behind closed doors.

The contract is a win win win for Burls, the Sox, and the fans.

RowanDye
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
based on the minor passing mention on BB Tonite tonite, it really was only a big story among sox fans.. just like I could not care less what happens to bigZ on the North Side or any other teams negotiations for that matter.

I think this speaks to Mark Buehrle's character and personality.. we all know that he is a good ole boy from mizzou who has his priorities in proper order.. he is one of those rare pros that is not driven by money first.. altho he is finanacially secure for life,now.. but he did not want the last buck..that is clear and pretty rare.. he said in his postgame PC that his agent works for him and Jamie and so their desires were always uppermost... I like that.

It's been one of the top storylines on ESPN.com, and I heard it mentioned several times on ESPN so among baseball fans I think it is a big deal.

The biggest free agent is off the market.

As for my self-appraisal, I'm even more pleased about this signing than I was when Paulie signed. I was starting to flip out a little bit because the situation was dragging on, but it's all good now.

Hopefully Mark just stays Mark for the duration of the contract, giving us at least an excellent #2 starter for the next 4 years.