PDA

View Full Version : 06-07 comparison Standings

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
This time last year Minnesota was 11 games out. Ourselves and Detroit were playing better than Detroit and Cleveland this year. So I ask does the Burls signing change our team and give us a shot to repeat the Twins of 06?

areilly
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
This time last year Minnesota was 11 games out. Ourselves and Detroit were playing better than Detroit and Cleveland this year. So I ask does the Burls signing change our team and give us a shot to repeat the Twins of 06?

No.

FedEx227
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd love to say yes, but we haven't shown in the past 5-6 years to have any of that "comeback" factor that the Twins and Athletics ALWAYS seem to have. Every year the Twins seem to step it up in the 2nd half, due in large part to Santana becoming lights out in the last half of most seasons.

Again, I'd love to be able to say we can do that, but I just don't see this team being a comeback team.

chisoxmike
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM

No.

Corlose 15
07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Not with this bullpen.

nccwsfan
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM

It would be nice, but the bullpen isn't going to magically get better with the news. Even if there is a solid winning streak in the near future there are too many teams they would need to pass to make a difference.

They've locked in their top of the rotation guy- now it's time to get to retooling this team for 08'.

DumpJerry
07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Impossible.

The Yankees are not making the playoffs to step on us in the ALDS before choking to the Kitties in the ALCS.

The Dude
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM

No. Thank you for smoking.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
All right I guess i'm crazy. Just this is the most optimistic I have felt since well I think May maybe.

jdm2662
07-08-2007, 09:56 PM

You forgot to metion the Twins were 47-39 and playing very good baseball from June 1st on. The White Sox are right games under, and haven't exactly shown signs of improvement.

October26
07-08-2007, 10:07 PM
All right I guess i'm crazy. Just this is the most optimistic I have felt since well I think May maybe.

You are not crazy; you are a Sox fan who loves your team - just like me. I admire your optimism. However, as wonderful as the Buerhle extension news is today, we cannot overlook the gaping holes on this Sox team. We don't have the "horses" to compete within our own division (.i.e, Detroit, Cleveland, Minn) much less against the rest of the American League. I will agree with you that the Buehrle signing is a very good first step. And it has definitely given me hope for the future, cause I sure was down after watching the beatdown that the Twins gave us this past Friday.

I wanna see Kenny make more moves! Go Sox!

Tragg
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
So I ask does the Burls signing change our team and give us a shot to repeat the Twins of 06?
No.
But we are only 4 games in the loss column behind the Twins right now. One of my minor goals for the second half (other than beating the Indians to ensure that they don't make the playoffs) is to pass the Twins.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 10:21 PM
I think the sad part of the season right now is that the Sox are in such a bad way when they've in fact only played one home and one away series against both Detroit and Cleveland. They still have a total of four more series against each team. It would be a monumental task, but the opportunity is there to at least make a respectable showing this year and not end the season double-digit games out of first.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
No.
But we are only 4 games in the loss column behind the Twins right now. One of my minor goals for the second half (other than beating the Indians to ensure that they don't make the playoffs) is to pass the Twins.

I agree, and the fact that they split the weekend series after that nightmare on Friday is a small hurdle in that direction.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Winning 10 of the last 15 games is an encouragement.

The offense finally seems to be coming around. Konerko and Thome are getting hot.

The starting pitching - apart from Friday - has been excellent.

The bullpen - well, the bullpen only had to pitch one inning during the past two games. That's good news, right?

I don't have any delusions that the Sox are going to win the division or the Wild Card. But I do think they will close the gap to the point that many of us will look back at - and agonize over - individual games that should/could have gone the other way. Basically I think they will be within 10 games of a playoff spot; if forced to predict a record I would guess 85-77.

soxfanreggie
07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
We would have to go on a major winning streak...probably 8 or 9 games in a row...to get back into the thick of things. We also need teams like Detroit or Cleveland to lose like 6 or 7 in a row.

For us to win, we need a bullpen that can hold onto leads. Bobby can't throw all the innings of relief. However, with how guys like Mark and Javy have been throwing, if another starter gets hot and PK and Thome keep hitting the cover off the ball, a long win streak is possible.

Oldfellah
07-08-2007, 11:36 PM
I say Yes!!!! Screw the naysayers!!!!:bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I would've said yes if we were healthier, I had some small hope with Pods back, I like his spark, then again Mack has had some pop lately. Then there's Crede, but Fields hasn't been too bad either. We have the starters, the pen was actually good on that road trip, right now you just shoot for .500, but probably not

It's Time
07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Signing Buerhle today will be remembered as the best part of the season. Too deep of a hole, too many teams to pass and too many holes on this team.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Sure, the Sox can be just like last year's Twins. Just identify which Sox player will:

Be the MVP
Win the batting title
Win the Cy Young

No problem.

I'm not just trying to be a smartass, but the Twins had some guys having monster seasons. The Sox have no one showing those kinds of tendencies.

IowaSox1971
07-09-2007, 03:20 AM
I believe we will be much better in the second half because the offense has to be better than it has shown so far this season and the bullpen really can't get any worse.

Think about it: Every single guy on our roster, except for maybe Podsednik, is hitting well below his career average. I think our team average was .240 going into today's game against the Twins. This is unlikely to continue. This is not 1968. Teams do not hit .240 for a full season anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if our team average ended up at .260 or .265, which means we could hit .285 as a team in the second half.

We've won 10 of our last 15, so we're on a decent run. If we somehow are able to go on another 10-5 streak right after the break, then KW should think about trying to make a trade for a decent reliever or two, because then we could be in position to make a run for the postseason.

I'm not saying we're definitely going to the playoffs, but I've seen teams like Houston, Oakland, Minnesota and Cleveland make amazing second-half runs in recent years, and I think this team also is capable of getting hot. It wouldn't surprise me if we at least made Detroit, Cleveland and Minnesota sweat a bit down the stretch.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-09-2007, 07:43 AM
As long as our starters continue the CG pitching, we'll win the division.

Since we all know that's not gonna happen, I look forward to being above .500 to finish the season. IMO, finishing 84-78 would be a great season to me.

I would like to see Konerko get his stride, and I'd like to see Thome hit his 500th this year. And, I don't want to see Pods again.