PDA

View Full Version : Best team at the break?

Fenway
07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Detroit looks VERY good right now. They best in MLB right now.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Not saying their the best but Seattle playing damn good ball as well.

PKalltheway
07-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I'd say Detroit is the best team going into the break right now, because they just completed the sweep of Boston. The Red Sox only have the best record in MLB right now because they have played one more game than Detroit.

Also, don't look past San Diego. They're not the best team right now, but they have the lowest team ERA in the majors entering the break. If their outstanding pitching continues, a three-peat could be in the works in the NL West.

chisoxmike
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Angels.

I would put money on them to win it all this year.

chisoxfanatic
07-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Angels.

Agreed. Vladdy is going to win the World Series MVP. BOOK IT!

cws05champ
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Detroit looks VERY good right now. They best in MLB right now.

I'm not saying the same thing is going to happen to Detroit that happened to the Sox last year....but there are a lot of parallels between the teams:

2005 Sox get hot, go to the Series, Win..then get Thome in the offseason to DH, they start mashing the ball in the 1st half of 2006 & have one of the best record in MLB at the break...battling tooth and nail in the 1st half with the Tigers. Everyone was predicting them to go back to the post season and be a factor. We all know what happened, the rotation fell apart, the BP blew up...and the rest is history.

2006 Tigers get hot, go to the Series(lose)...then get Sheffield in the offseason to DH, they are mashing the ball in the 1st half of 2007 & have one of the best record in MLB at the break....battling tooth and nail in the 1st half with the Indians. A lot are predicting them to go back to the post season and be a factor. Will their BP be able to hold it together? Can Rogers repeat last years performance? Can Verlander not get tired in the 2nd half and break down? Can Andrew Miller be reliable rookie arm?

They are a good team right now...but I just couldn't ignore some of the similarities.

BiggestFan14
07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Reds... well at least they won four strait...:tongue:

I'd have to go with Detroit and Angels as the best at the break.

nccwsfan
07-08-2007, 07:52 PM
The team to beat as of 7/8/2007 is.......the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Angels.

Agreed. Vladdy is going to win the World Series MVP. BOOK IT!

Reds... well at least they won four strait...:tongue:

I'd have to go with Detroit and Angels as the best at the break.

The team to beat as of 7/8/2007 is.......the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Mariners are only 2.5 back, I think like 2 months ago they were like 10.

goofymsfan
07-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I'd say Detroit is the best team going into the break right now, because they just completed the sweep of Boston. The Red Sox only have the best record in MLB right now because they have played one more game than Detroit.

Also, don't look past San Diego. They're not the best team right now, but they have the lowest team ERA in the majors entering the break. If their outstanding pitching continues, a three-peat could be in the works in the NL West.

The M's swept Boston as well. As someone else said they are only 2.5 games back and that's after all the crap they've had to deal with, i.e. manager resigning, schedule from hell, injuries, etc.

Oblong
07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
If you told me that Bonderman, Rogers, Zumaya, and Rodney would all be on the DL during the season with 3 of them spending signifigant time on it and 2 of them being ineffective when they were not on it, I'd say I'd be happy with a .500 record.

In the AL I'd say it's a toss up between the Angels and Tigers.

Watching Maggs hit has been a thing of beauty. I always thought of him as a slugger but he's really just a great hitter and the HR come when they come.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
If you told me that Bonderman, Rogers, Zumaya, and Rodney would all be on the DL during the season with 3 of them spending signifigant time on it and 2 of them being ineffective when they were not on it, I'd say I'd be happy with a .500 record.

In the AL I'd say it's a toss up between the Angels and Tigers.

Watching Maggs hit has been a thing of beauty. I always thought of him as a slugger but he's really just a great hitter and the HR come when they come.
He has some nice big gaps in Detroit for a little help as well.

PKalltheway
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
The M's swept Boston as well. As someone else said they are only 2.5 games back and that's after all the crap they've had to deal with, i.e. manager resigning, schedule from hell, injuries, etc.
Haha, forgot about that. I'll have to apologize on my lack of knowledge about the M's this year.:redface: I haven't really been paying a lot of attention to them, outside of Hargrove resigning.

doublem23
07-08-2007, 09:02 PM
It's got to be Detroit; the best offense in baseball plus one of the best pitching staffs. I really thought they would regress from last year but they're even better now.

I'm jealous.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
It's got to be Detroit; the best offense in baseball plus one of the best pitching staffs. I really thought they would regress from last year but they're even better now.

I'm jealous.
Kind of like us last year.

goofymsfan
07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Haha, forgot about that. I'll have to apologize on my lack of knowledge about the M's this year.:redface: I haven't really been paying a lot of attention to them, outside of Hargrove resigning.

No need to apologize. I'm the resident M's fan here.

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I think the Tigers are the best team in the AL. Just because their situation is similar to the 06 Sox does not mean they will fade.

The best team in the NL is a tough choice. The Padres have stellar pitching but their hitting is not so great. The Dodgers seem to be a more well rounded team. The NL Central sucks. In the East, the Mets have shown some vulnerability lately, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves overtake them.

Fenway
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
72 hours ago I would have said the Red Sox :whiner:

The Detroit series really exposed their major flaws

1. JD DREW On Saturday night in extra innings, Leyland walked both Manny and Ortiz to pitch to Drew. Everybody in Boston was agaist the Drew signing except Theo. It has been a complete disaster

2. JULIO LUGO He had 3 hits on Sunday but his numbers this year have been simply dreadful. The musical shortstops the Red Sox have come thru since Nomar was traded is comical

3. DAVID ORTIZ Hitting for average but the power has vanished

4. MANNY Used to be a RBI machine but that has vanished. He is taking so many third called strikes this year, something that he has never done.

5 SCHILLING Has been the worst starter this year and is not due back until August.

The Red Sox rotation and bullpen is the only reason they are where they are, but it should be noted they had the same record at the break last year and the second half was a disaster.

downstairs
07-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Boston: Flawed, and they're going to coast into the playoffs. This may be a very bad thing, not playing a lot of games that matter for almost an entire year.

Detroit: Crap they've delt with and they're still in 1st. Gotta be the best.

Cleveland: Don't look like division winners, and are not running away with the Wild Card as expected. Wild card is between them and Seattle

LAA: Solid team with few flaws. No reason to bet against them going to the WS.

Seattle: Don't look now, but they're 1.5 back of a playoff spot. Expect a good WC race. Cleveland is going to be feeling heat all year long from all angles- division, wild card. Will they cave?

Fenway
07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Seattle looked very good against the Red Sox 2 weeks ago.

LAA appears to have the same fatal flaw this year again....they just play horrible against east coast teams. Boston has owned them for years and they looked awful against the Yankees.

Cleveland plays well at home but their road record is going to cost them.

I will say this. If Ortiz, Manny and Drew ever start to hit then Boston really becomes hard to beat.

The team that winds up with home advantage in October will proably win the pennant.

Fenway
07-09-2007, 12:09 PM
NESN's blogger is wondering?

Are the Red Sox the team that hit the All-Star break with the best record in baseball, or the one that had played to the tune of 16-18 since June 1

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/07/09/the_fix_is_in/index.html

and Nick Carfardo ranks all 30 teams

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/07/08/treading_on_some_middle_ground/

on the White Sox

21. Chicago White Sox
First half: Major offensive meltdowns by veterans Paul Konerko, Dye, and Tadahito Iguchi. Young players who failed to develop. The power arms in the bullpen -- Mike MacDougal, David Aardsma -- were so bad they were demoted to the minors. Everything went wrong.

What's ahead: We're hearing about a major fire sale. Kenny Williams will deal almost anybody if he can get major league-ready players in return. Manager Ozzie Guillen shouldn't lose his job over this fiasco.

PatK
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Padres lack of offense is going to hurt them.

Plus, they've got too many old guys.

Foulke You
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I think Borowski will be exposed as a big flaw in the 2nd half for the Tribe. I won't buy into the Indians being an October threat until they shore up that bullpen and start playing better away from the Jake.

Hey Fenway, if Drew is struggling that bad behind Manny and Ortiz, why don't they shuffle the lineup and move a .300 hitter like Lowell or Pedroia behind them and move Drew down in the order?

Railsplitter
07-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Right now, I'd say the Tigers.

For some reason, papers print a team's record over the it's last ten games.
(anybody know why?) The NL team with the best record over it's ten most recent games is the Pirates at 7-3.

Fenway
07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Right now, I'd say the Tigers.

For some reason, papers print a team's record over the it's last ten games.
(anybody know why?) The NL team with the best record over it's ten most recent games is the Pirates at 7-3.

just to show who is hot and who is not................