PDA

View Full Version : Hunter interested in playing for the Sox

JermaineDye05
07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070708&content_id=2075254&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

"Oh. You know, this is a place I hit well in, Everything is perfect out there. This is one place I would consider. When I come here, I have fun. I love it."

Dan the Man
07-08-2007, 04:40 PM
http://www.dlvisions.fi/~juzz/up/Owen%20Starsky%20&%20Hutch%20Signature%20Do%20It.jpg

Great fielder, good hitter who isn't an all or nothing power hitter.

ViPeRx007
07-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I know I wouldn't complain watching him roam around center every night.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Umm Torii would be #3 on my CF wishlist. Ichiro then Andruw then Torii.

DickAllen72
07-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I doubt it will happen but I would love for the Sox to have Torii. The man is a winner.

Maybe he will give the Sox a discount for the priviledge of playing here.

DickAllen72
07-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Ichiro in RF, Torii in CF.

Seriously though, no way Ichiro is going to consider playing for the White Sox unless they go on a hell of a tear in the second half and look like sure contenders for '08. Ichiro wants to play for a winner and right now the Sox aren't even in the Mariner's league.

GregO23
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
My Centerfield wishlist is

1. Ichiro
2. Hunter
3. Rowand, hometown discount.
4. Jones, but for cheap.

I have a feeling we will have a great CF next year :cool:

The Dude
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Ichiro in RF, Torii in CF.

Seriously though, no way Ichiro is going to consider playing for the White Sox unless they go on a hell of a tear in the second half and look like sure contenders for '08. Ichiro wants to play for a winner and right now the Sox aren't even in the Mariner's league.

Torii would look pretty good out there in silver and black. Dump Dye, Contreras, and Uribe and make a push for him. Ichiro will probably get more $$$.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 04:55 PM
My Centerfield wishlist is

1. Ichiro
2. Hunter
3. Rowand, hometown discount.
4. Jones, but for cheap.

I have a feeling we will have a great CF next year :cool:
Rowand over Andruw Jones......ARE YOU HIGH?

Chrisaway
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
But he's not Aaron Rowand!!!

Seriously though I he wants to come here I'd take him. This team needs a makeover bad and even a punk from Minny looks good to me now.

A. Cavatica
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Have you seen Jones' numbers this season?

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Have you seen Jones' numbers this season?
Lets compare careers. One season doesn't represent player.

ShoelessJoeS
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I'd LOVE to see Torii in a White Sox uniform. I for one am ****in sick of watching him make great play after great play against us.

Jerko
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Hunter should play here; he's made 90% of his best catches here.

oeo
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM

Andruw Jones: :puking:

Please no Andruw unless he's willing to take a hefty pay cut.

Domeshot17
07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I would love Torri in CF. I could actually like an OF next year that looked something like Torrii in center Rowand in right and Fields/Sweeney in left. It would throw some leather.

The most important thing we need, a middle IF who can lead off.

JermaineDye05
07-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I would love Torri in CF. I could actually like an OF next year that looked something like Torrii in center Rowand in right and Fields/Sweeney in left. It would throw some leather.

Fields is going to be at 3rd, I think Crede will be gone after this season.

oeo
07-08-2007, 05:17 PM

They're not going to get anything for Crede coming off surgery.

oeo
07-08-2007, 05:19 PM

IMO, he's not worth the money he's getting now. After this season, he's definitely not worth it, and not worth more than it for sure.

spiffie
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I would love Hunter in CF, but I suspect he will end up getting far more than he's worth. He's good, but not great, but will likely get paid great player money.

cws05champ
07-08-2007, 05:34 PM
It would be nice to have him...but as long as he isd out of the AL Central, I'm :bandance:.

russ99
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070708&content_id=2075254&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I read that story in the paper today. Innneresting...

Could be one of those A.J. type situations, hate him with a rival team, but love him when he plays for the Sox.

We'll see. Given the amount of cash he's probably going to want, I'd say pretty doubtful, especially since the Yankees are rumored to be interested in signing Hunter.

Ichiro or Rowand might come cheaper.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I read that story in the paper today. Innneresting...

Could be one of those A.J. type situations, hate him with a rival team, but love him when he plays for the Sox.

We'll see. Given the amount of cash he's probably going to want, I'd say pretty doubtful, especially since the Yankees are rumored to be interested in signing Hunter.

Ichiro or Rowand might come cheaper.
Please no Rowand at any price, please.

Cuck the Fubs
07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I would love to see Hunter in CF for us!

He's a darn good player

NSSoxFan
07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd love Torii in a Sox uniform, but to be honest, just as long as he isn't on Minnesota anymore I'm happy as can be.

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM

MR. Castillo??

and to those who don't want rowand, why the hell not?!? He loves the city and fans, and is (from what I can see) a hell of a teammate. Furthermore, he'll come cheaper, and would, IMHO be better than anything else we've got. Let's face it, there are only like 3 other FA OFs (i think) that would be better, and there are a hell of a lot more teams..

BadBobbyJenks
07-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Lets compare careers andruw is a career 260 hitter who is going to get a huge contract, rowand would definatley be ahead on my list too.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
MR. Castillo??

and to those who don't want rowand, why the hell not?!? He loves the city and fans, and is (from what I can see) a hell of a teammate. Furthermore, he'll come cheaper, and would, IMHO be better than anything else we've got. Let's face it, there are only like 3 other FA OFs (i think) that would be better, and there are a hell of a lot more teams..
Over rated outfielder that makes up for it because he has a fetish for running into walls. Before this season was average to below average offensively. He will get a big payday for his love of walls and fluke offensive season. I couldn't care a less that he loves the fans and the city or that the fans love him. We have 2 guys in house that are better CF'rs than Aaron.

letsgosox1592
07-08-2007, 06:08 PM

the sox will end up having joe crede play a month or 2 at 3rd base to prove his back is good and to get value for him again and then the reins at 3rd base will fall to josh fields.

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Over rated outfielder that makes up for it because he has a fetish for running into walls. Before this season was average to below average offensively. He will get a big payday for his love of walls and fluke offensive season. I couldn't care a less that he loves the fans and the city or that the fans love him. We have 2 guys in house that are better CF'rs than Aaron.

just because he's overrated by some, doesn't mean that you should underrate him. I completely understand the defensive argument, about him being overrated. but to call this season a "fluke" is plain wrong.. this isn't a brady anderson type season he magically arrived with. look at his '04 numbers.

i'm just saying that i think the intangibles rowand brings to the table are being overlooked. and even if they are, he's still better than what we've got.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Lets compare careers andruw is a career 260 hitter who is going to get a huge contract, rowand would definatley be ahead on my list too.
Andruw Jones (162 gm averages) 34 hrs, 104 RBI's, 13 SBs, .262 average, ONB .342, SLG .500, 9 time GG, 44 errors over 12 seasons (everday player in 11/12) will get about 15 million per year

Aaron Rowand- 16 hrs, 63 RBIs, 11 SBs, .282 average, ONB .341, SLG .450, 23 errors over 7 seasons (3 of which was as a reserve) 0 GG. will get about 9.5-10 million a year.
I will take Andruw Jones and not think twice.

letsgosox1592
07-08-2007, 06:10 PM

name them then. torri hunter would be the best sox centerfielder in a long time and he would be loved here. if the sox sign him i will be in heaven becuase i love him and my bestfriend is a twins fan and favorite player is torri hunter.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
just because he's overrated by some, doesn't mean that you should underrate him. I completely understand the defensive argument, about him being overrated. but to call this season a "fluke" is plain wrong.. this isn't a brady anderson type season he magically arrived with. look at his '04 numbers.

i'm just saying that i think the intangibles rowand brings to the table are being overlooked. and even if they are, he's still better than what we've got.
Truly I would take Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney or, if we can get him for Contreras, Milledge over Rowand.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
name them then. torri hunter would be the best sox centerfielder in a long time and he would be loved here. if the sox sign him i will be in heaven becuase i love him and my bestfriend is a twins fan and favorite player is torri hunter.
Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney.

SoxSpeed22
07-08-2007, 06:13 PM
He didn't mean Red Sox did he? Because I think that's where he ends up.

letsgosox1592
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM

he pretty much shut that option down because he said their and wrigley field he doesnt feel comfortable out in center and thats where he broke his ankle like 2 years ago

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I'd be OK with Hunter coming to the Sox, provided the contract isn't too excessive.

I'd be OK with Rowand returning to the Sox, but as a left fielder. His hustle and heart is unmatched, but he has to hustle because he just doesn't position himself that well and because he gets late reads on fly balls.

As far as the four guys mentioned in the thread, my order of preference would be:

1. Ichiro - fills an obvious need for leadoff hitter; clearly would cost the most
2. Hunter - improves the Sox & hurts the Twins; I'm concerned about his age
3. Rowand - heart & hustle; might be "buying high" off a career year in the NL
4. Jones - great pedigree; may be on the downside of his career and I'm suspicious of NL numbers

letsgosox1592
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney.

ryan sweeney is not a centerfielder and he will never be a good one and brian anderson is a great fielder but rowand is just as equal plus he had a bat while he was here. brian anderson's swing is mechanical and he will strugle hitting major league pitchers.

getonbckthr
I'd be OK with Hunter coming to the Sox, provided the contract isn't too excessive.

I'd be OK with Rowand returning to the Sox, but as a left fielder. His hustle and heart is unmatched, but he has to hustle because he just doesn't position himself that well and because he gets late reads on fly balls.

As far as the four guys mentioned in the thread, my order of preference would be:

1. Ichiro - fills an obvious need for leadoff hitter; clearly would cost the most
2. Hunter - improves the Sox & hurts the Twins; I'm concerned about his age
3. Rowand - heart & hustle; might be "buying high" off a career year in the NL
4. Jones - great pedigree; may be on the downside of his career and I'm suspicious of NL numbers
He is only 30 years old? The guy is having one bad season.

Andruw Jones (162 gm averages) 34 hrs, 104 RBI's, 13 SBs, .262 average, ONB .342, SLG .500, 9 time GG, 44 errors over 12 seasons (everday player in 11/12) will get about 15 million per year

Aaron Rowand- 16 hrs, 63 RBIs, 11 SBs, .282 average, ONB .341, SLG .450, 23 errors over 7 seasons (3 of which was as a reserve) 0 GG. will get about 9.5-10 million a year.
I will take Andruw Jones and not think twice.

ARE YOU HIGH??? Seriously, I really doubt Rowand will command 10M per year...

chisoxmike
Anyone think that once Torriiiiiiiii puts on another uniform he'll add to the many ex-Twins that were stars on the Twins but can't do **** on another team? :dunno:

I don't know. Torriiiiii is a talent, but I wouldn't break the bank on him.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:19 PM
ryan sweeney is not a centerfielder and he will never be a good one and brian anderson is a great fielder but rowand is just as equal plus he had a bat while he was here. brian anderson's swing is mechanical and he will strugle hitting major league pitchers.
Rowand is not even in the same paragraph as far as defensiely as Brian Anderson. Offensively Brian was a rookie last year. I will say that again, Brian was a rookie last season. Then add in the guy never got the same oppertunity that Fields has gotten this season. Brian never had the ability last season to go out there and play. He constantly had Rob Groundoutwiak breathing down his neck for playing time. That is unfair pressure to place on a rookie.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
ARE YOU HIGH??? Seriously, I really doubt Rowand will command 10M per year...
Considering you will probably have NYY and Bos bidding cause he has "just such a huge heart" and he is a "fearless leader."

07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
He constantly had Rob Groundoutwiak breathing down his neck for playing time. That is unfair pressure to place on a rookie.

How is having Mackowiak breathing down your neck unfair pressure??? How is it even pressure???

letsgosox1592
07-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Rowand is not even in the same paragraph as far as defensiely as Brian Anderson. Offensively Brian was a rookie last year. I will say that again, Brian was a rookie last season. Then add in the guy never got the same oppertunity that Fields has gotten this season. Brian never had the ability last season to go out there and play. He constantly had Rob Groundoutwiak breathing down his neck for playing time. That is unfair pressure to place on a rookie.

your right about having pressure and all but i just expected him to have a better season last year and I am down on what he did and the little production we got out of centerfield. and i wish the sox would of kept chris young somehow and traded someone else.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
How is having Mackowiak breathing down your neck unfair pressure??? How is it even pressure???
Because Ozzie was obsessed on playing Rob as much as he possibly could last season in CF. Every game Brian played he felt he had to 4-4 otherwise he would be benched the next day. Look at Fields. He knows that 3B is his through the season and he is performing offensively.

santo=dorf
07-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Hunter will be grossly overpaid. He's not even that good of a hitter.

whitesoxfan
07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Bottom line is we need one of those 4 OF's. I prefer Ichiro over the other three, but either of them would be a gigantic step up over the crap we have in the outfield right now.

07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Because Ozzie was obsessed on playing Rob as much as he possibly could last season in CF. Every game Brian played he felt he had to 4-4 otherwise he would be benched the next day. Look at Fields. He knows that 3B is his through the season and he is performing offensively.
Are you Brian and Josh's psychiatrist or do you just enjoy making things up??? Maybe Fields can handle it and Brian just can't. Ozzie can just as easily put Cintron or Mackowiak at 3B this year as he put Mack in CF last year...

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Are you Brian and Josh's psychiatrist or do you just enjoy making things up??? Maybe Fields can handle it and Brian just can't. Ozzie can just as easily put Cintron or Mackowiak at 3B this year as he put Mack in CF last year...
Has he put anybody at 3rd besides Josh except for a day off or a PR? How do we know if Brian can handle everyday playing time without someone riding ass if he never gets it like Josh has?

JermaineDye05
07-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Has he put anybody at 3rd besides Josh except for a day off or a PR? How do we know if Brian can handle everyday playing time without someone riding ass if he never gets it like Josh has?

Josh has proved he can drive in runs, in 30 games he has more than half as many homers and rbis then Brian did in 134 games in 2006. He has struck out a lot, but he's shown he can be productive and drive in runs.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Josh has proved he can drive in runs, in 30 games he has more than half as many homers and rbis then Brian did in 134 games in 2006. He has struck out a lot, but he's shown he can be productive and drive in runs.
All i'm saying is its easier to play when you know the spot is yours.

TheOldRoman
07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

I would love Hunter in CF, but I suspect he will end up getting far more than he's worth. He's good, but not great, but will likely get paid great player money.

Yep. Hunter is one of the most overrated players in baseball. His defense is not what it used to be. Even in his prime, he was overrated due to him robbing homers. He is thought of as an elite player, but he is far from it. He is going to get top dollar (at least $12 million a year), and I hope it isn't from the Sox.

Would I like Hunter on the Sox? Sure. He is a smart player, a good base runner, very good defensively, is clutch, and has some power. He is not the 3 hitter he will get paid like. I would like him hitting 6 or 7 for $8 million a year, but I would hate him hitting anywhere else in our lineup for $12 million.

07-08-2007, 07:09 PM

This does not prove your point or disprove mine. Brian played miserably even when he had consistant playing time at the beginning of last season.

oeo
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
All i'm saying is its easier to play when you know the spot is yours.

:rolling:

Brian Anderson was handed that job before Spring Training...he lost it on his own.

Daver
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
:rolling:

Brian Anderson was handed that job before Spring Training...he lost it on his own.

He was benched the day after opening day, that is not being handed the job.

oeo
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM

Was he not named the starting CF after Rowand was dealt? Yes, he was, and he got starter's ABs until his swing was exposed. And as a matter of fact, the organization had so much confidence in the guy that they didn't have a back-up plan. Nope, that wasn't his job.

SoxyStu
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM
So, back to Hunter...I've gotten the distinction from his interviews and such that the only team he prefers playing for are the numbers after his name on his paycheck.

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM

rowand is definitely not the fielder that anderson is..

07-08-2007, 07:14 PM

What exactly were the circumstances under which he was benched???

Daver
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Ask Ozzie.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Was he not named the starting CF after Rowand was dealt? Yes, he was, and he got starter's ABs until his swing was exposed.
Brian got 350 Rob got 250. Most starters are in the 500-550 range.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Younger than 25 years old.

Tragg
07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
The only one that interests me is Ichiro - and he's re-signing with Seattle; in addition, his price would likely be too high and would cost us quality at other positions.

I'm thinking trade over one of these free agents.

Bring back Anderson for the 2nd half.

oeo
07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Brian got 350 Rob got 250. Most starters are in the 500-550 range.

I said until he started sucking, he got the ABs. He lost the job, period.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Ya but he was never the consistent starter. He played at most maybe 3 games in a row a few times?

07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Ask Ozzie.

Either way, Brian played in all but 7 games in April 06 and May 06 combined...

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Either way, Brian played in all but 7 games in April 06 and May 06 combined...
Defensive replacement in the 8th and 9th count as a game played.

07-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Defensive replacement in the 8th and 9th count as a game played.

Anderson was a defensive replacement in two games during April 06. He was given the playing time, he could not produce...

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 07:25 PM

I usually like your posts, but I think you're wrong here. BA was not given a shot/ time like others we've seen. Whether it was ozzie or not, I'm not sure. We've put up with some struggles in our day (see: rowand, crede), but they wouldn't put up with it from brian.

maybe it's something that as fans, we don't get to see, but for whatever reason, they haven't given BA the shot that he deserves (especially for as good as he is defensively).

Tragg
07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Anderson wasn't scintillating, but he was improving.
He hit in the NINE hole, he was young.
And what were the alternatives? Well mack and erstad, two abject duds.
The alternatives were only marginally better and, in the long run, probably a lot worse.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Anderson wasn't scintillating, but he was improving.
He hit in the NINE hole, he was young.
And what were the alternatives? Well mack and erstad, two abject duds.
The alternatives were only marginally better and, in the long run, probably a lot worse.
Yes but in Ozzie's eyes since they were above the age of 25 they were the better option both short and long term

07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Yes but in Ozzie's eyes since they were above the age of 25 they were the better option both short and long term
What is your obsession with the 'above 25' garbage??? You will not prove any point using garbage like that as a evidence...

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
What is your obsession with the 'above 25' garbage??? You will not prove any point using garbage like that as a evidence...
Because Ozzie is reluctant and against using kids unless he has too. He had to go with Danks, he has to go with Fields. Ask anyone on this site and they will agree Ozzie is against playing rooks.

07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Because Ozzie is reluctant and against using kids unless he has too. He had to go with Danks, he has to go with Fields. Ask anyone on this site and they will agree Ozzie is against playing rooks.
Pure speculation...

07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Why exactly did he have to go with Danks and Fields? There were, and are, other options for the 5th starter and 3B...

Daver
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Why exactly did he have to go with Danks and Fields? There were, and are, other options for the 5th starter and 3B...

Name em.

Frater Perdurabo
07-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Anderson has nothing more to prove in the minor leagues. It's MLB or bust for him. If he's ever going to become a productive hitter at the MLB level, he has to get MLB at-bats. If he gets his brains beat in during this garbage time, then it just proves he wasn't going to amount to much of an MLB hitter, anyway. OTOH, if he does produce well, then the difference could mean the Sox spend valuable resouces on the bullpen and middle infield instead of overpaying Hunter, Rowand or Jones. Therefore, I'd like to see BA start in CF for the rest of the season.

For the record, I would be satisfied if in addition to playing excellent defense, Anderson would hit .250 with 20 homers, 30 doubles and steal 25 bases per season. In essence, I'd be happy if he became the next Mike Cameron.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Anderson has nothing more to prove in the minor leagues. It's MLB or bust for him. If he's ever going to become a productive hitter at the MLB level, he has to get MLB at-bats. If he gets his brains beat in during this garbage time, then it just proves he wasn't going to amount to much of an MLB hitter, anyway. OTOH, if he does produce well, then the difference could mean the Sox spend valuable resouces on the bullpen and middle infield instead of overpaying Hunter, Rowand or Jones. Therefore, I'd like to see BA start in CF for the rest of the season.

For the record, I would be satisfied if in addition to playing excellent defense, Anderson would hit .250 with 20 homers, 30 doubles and steal 25 bases per season. In essence, I'd be happy if he became the next Mike Cameron.
But isn't wall crashing a must for any CF'r? Also he must love Journey and be a grinder.

Dan the Man
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Anyone think that once Torriiiiiiiii puts on another uniform he'll add to the many ex-Twins that were stars on the Twins but can't do **** on another team? :dunno:

Yeah, he'll be another David Ortiz. :redneck

07-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Name em.

If Ozzie truly hates any player under 25...

Nick Massett would have been named 5th starter out of spring training.

Cintron or Mackowiak would now play 3rd base since Crede is on the DL.

This is not a debate about the Sox' best options at 3B and pitcher. It is about the ridiculous argument that Ozzie hates any player under 25. If he truly hated players that are not 25 years of age or older, Fields and Danks would not be playing...

07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
For the record, I am an Anderson supporter. What I am not a supporter of is the asinine idea that Brian Anderson's lack of success at the Major League level is everyone else's fault but his...

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM

I'd take Torii in a heartbeat over Jones. Jones as a centerfielder is just about done.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM

In CF, I'd take Rowand in a heartbeat over Jones.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Wow. So you don't believe in the concept of declining skills?

Let's sign Minnie Minoso to a contract next year to play LF because he has better career numbers than Jerry Owens and Pods.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Hunter should play here; he's made 90% of his best catches here.

My hatred for Hunter has declined after the Sox won the title in '05. The Jamie Burke incident seems like 10 years ago. I'd love to see Hunter on this team.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:13 PM
They're not going to get anything for Crede coming off surgery.

The Sox, I believe, have an option on him for '08. There's a possibility they won't exercise that option if his back is still a question. Since he won't be able to play before the end of the season, this could be another Mags or Frank situation.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Please no Rowand at any price, please.

Why? He's having a hell of a season.

chisoxmike
07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah, he'll be another David Ortiz. :redneck

Ortiz wasn't considered a "star" until he went to the Red Sox, naturally. So I wouldn't put him in the overrated Twins players list.

Daver
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Why? He's having a hell of a season.

Cause he's a crappy CF'er?

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
We have 2 guys in house that are better CF'rs than Aaron.

Are you purposefully trolling? We have two centerfielders better, all-around, than Rowand? Who would they be? Please don't say Jerry Owens after he got decoyed by the Twins runner going first to third yesterday.

santo=dorf
07-08-2007, 08:17 PM
The Sox, I believe, have an option on him for '08. There's a possibility they won't exercise that option if his back is still a question. Since he won't be able to play before the end of the season, this could be another Mags or Frank situation.
It's not an option, he's arbitration eligible.

They should non-tender him otherwise they must spend at least $4 million to keep him.

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM

But, he doesn't have to come here to play CF. Last time I checked, the OF on the southside is wiiiiiide open

IlliniSox4Life
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I would definitely take Ichiro first. He fills our hole for a lead-off man and could play center or right. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to afford him (unless we move somebody). I wouldn't have a problem with Torii or Rowand.

The most important thing is just to get somebody out there who can give us consistent production at the plate and play some pretty solid defense.

RowanDye
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Just what we need now that the epic Buehrle thread has died, another Brian Anderson debate!

Oh well, I'll bite.

I don't think anyone expects the payroll to go up next season. We probably just made our biggest move in signing Buehrle. If we pick up Uribe's option, add in Mark's new contract, and raises to Garland, MacDougal, Thornton, and A.J. you're already looking at over $9M more in salary.

Add in small raises to Ozuna and some of the other younger guys and we're looking at ~10M in raises.

Erstad has a $3.5M option or $250K buyout, so we could save ~750K over this year if we buy him out. Mackowiak has a 300K buyout, so we could save $2.45M buying him out. Cintron's $1.9M off the books will also help.

Doing the math there, we'd be ~$5M over this years payroll just from raises, and we still need to figure out if we're going to keep Iguchi, Dye, Crede, and/or Pods.

Iguchi will be due a small payraise, but I could see Dye, Crede, and Pods signing cheaper, 1 yr. contracts.

Hypothetically let's just say that we re-sign Iguchi (add $1-2M?), but pass on Crede and go with Fields to save money. That still puts us $2-3M over this years salary.

If we then let both Pods and Dye walk, we'd be $4-5M under this years payroll but with an outfield of Sweeney/Terrero/Anderson/Gonzalez/Owens.

:o:

We could try to re-sign Dye or Pods to a cheap 1 yr. deal.

Maybe Dye would take something worth like $5-6M with some nice escalators for playing time. If we do that though, we're back over this year's payroll and we still need a CF and LF.

Alternatively we could sign Pods, trade Dye or let him walk, and then use the savings from Dye to sign a RF or CF.

Maybe I missed something here, but in the best case scenario the most I can see us spending on a FA outfielder is $6-7M.

That would give us someone like Rowand (maybe?) or Mike Cameron, Pods in LF, and Sweeney/Anderson.
Even if we could get someone to take over Contreras' entire 10 million owed next season, I don't see us making any big FA splashes, especially if payroll decreases as many expect.

Ichiro and Hunter are both pipedreams, get ready for Anderson/Sweeney love/hate-fest 2008.

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I would definitely take Ichiro first. He fills our hole for a lead-off man and could play center or right. Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to afford him (unless we move somebody). I wouldn't have a problem with Torii or Rowand.

The most important thing is just to get somebody out there who can give us consistent production at the plate and play some pretty solid defense.

Whoa!! The voice of reason. Be careful..

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM

He's batting .300 this year with solid power. For a centerfielder, he puts up nice numbers. I can't believe I'm defending this guy :D:

Brian26
07-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Aaron Rowand is a crappy centerfielder?

NardiWasHere
07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
How about Eric Byrnes? Isn't he a free agent next year?

Daver
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Aaron Rowand is a crappy centerfielder?

Yes.

FedEx227
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Yes.

It's true. Arm-wise and plain CF instincts would put him about average in the major league level.

Just because you dive for balls doesn't mean you're a good OFer, in fact it makes you much less of one. That's why I don't get the Andruw Jones or Jim Edmonds hype, because these guys are lazy and prefer to read the ball later and make last-minute decisions doesn't mean they are great defensive CFers.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
It's true. Arm-wise and plain CF instincts would put him about average in the major league level.

Just because you dive for balls doesn't mean you're a good OFer, in fact it makes you much less of one. That's why I don't get the Andruw Jones or Jim Edmonds hype, because these guys are lazy and prefer to read the ball later and make last-minute decisions doesn't mean they are great defensive CFers.
Did you ever see Andruw Jones play CF? The guy plays shallow because he has the instincts and ability to run the balls over his head and in the gap. Rowand and Hunter, not to take anything away from Hunter defensively, play relatively deep CF. The balls they catch at wall look really cool and everything but how about the ones that land in front of them. The run they save running into walls doesn't equal the bloop singles that lead to runs everywhere else that Jones has the ability to cutoff. If you beat Jones you really earned yourself a hit. I honestly cannot believe that the Rowandcessed can honestly say Rowand is equal to Hunter and better than Jones. Please tell me we at least agree that Ichiro is better than Rowand right.....right?

Taliesinrk
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM

Edmonds yes.. Jones, you're crazy. That guy has played the shallowest CF in baseball and can cover the whole field. He may dive, but he's a hell of a defensive CF.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
For the record, I am an Anderson supporter. What I am not a supporter of is the asinine idea that Brian Anderson's lack of success at the Major League level is everyone else's fault but his...
He sucked for the first half of the year, that much is absolutely his fault even if he was a rookie. Then he was basically given an ultimatum "start hitting now or you go back to AAA." So sometime right before the All-Star break he went on a tear and hit over .300 for a couple of months, started hitting line drives and solid base hits and generally making good contact. Then for some inexplicable reason Ozzie started platooning him with Macowiak and Anderson got cold again. That's also Anderson's fault, but at the time I was really pissed that Ozzie started taking ABs from Anderson just as he started to turn the corner.

So you know the rest, Erstad comes around and Ozzie jumps all over it. Anderson actually outplayed Erstad in ST, but Ozzie played Erstad anyway and to his credit Erstad did a fine job once he stopped sucking at the beginning. But the point is that Anderson really hasn't truly been the Sox starting CF since about August of last year, and it's unfair to say it was all because of his lack of results because he HAS shown flashes of the ability to hit at the MLB level, contrary to popular belief.

And now he's hitting well below what he's capable of in AAA for some reason, no one really knows why. But it's not helping his case.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh, and for the record, I'd love to have Hunter playing for the Sox. Even if he's overrated by some... doesn't mean he isn't a great CF.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
He sucked for the first half of the year, that much is absolutely his fault even if he was a rookie. Then he was basically given an ultimatum "start hitting now or you go back to AAA." So sometime right before the All-Star break he went on a tear and hit over .300 for a couple of months, started hitting line drives and solid base hits and generally making good contact. Then for some inexplicable reason Ozzie started platooning him with Macowiak and Anderson got cold again. That's also Anderson's fault, but at the time I was really pissed that Ozzie started taking ABs from Anderson just as he started to turn the corner.

So you know the rest, Erstad comes around and Ozzie jumps all over it. Anderson actually outplayed Erstad in ST, but Ozzie played Erstad anyway and to his credit Erstad did a fine job once he stopped sucking at the beginning. But the point is that Anderson really hasn't truly been the Sox starting CF since about August of last year, and it's unfair to say it was all because of his lack of results because he HAS shown flashes of the ability to hit at the MLB level, contrary to popular belief.

And now he's hitting well below what he's capable of in AAA for some reason, no one really knows why. But it's not helping his case.
Supposedly he was hurt but as of late has turned the corner a bit and is starting to hit for power.

EMachine10
07-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Rowand is nothing more than average defensively. and as stated earlier, running into walls and diving does not make you a great centerfielder.

i'd love to see torii here

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Supposedly he was hurt but as of late has turned the corner a bit and is starting to hit for power.
Gotta hit consistently for average before you can develop your power when you move up though. Which he was doing last year before he got derailed. It's actually pretty amusing to have people pretend like he batted .140 the entire year and did little else. Especially when we've got vets on the team that had/are having some pretty lengthy struggles this year that were/are just as bad.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Gotta hit consistently for average before you can develop your power when you move up though. Which he was doing last year before he got derailed. It's actually pretty amusing to have people pretend like he batted .140 the entire year and did little else. Especially when we've got vets on the team that had/are having some pretty lengthy struggles this year that were/are just as bad.
Especially when Luis Terrero is hitting what .210?

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Especially when Luis Terrero is hitting what .210?
I think it's pretty much indisputable that Anderson > Terrero but Terrero is a different situation.

Daver
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM

He aggravated a previous shoulder injury.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
What was it, tendonitis in his rotator cuff? I have that right now. It sucks but it comes and goes and rest is really the only way to get rid of it for any length of time.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Thank you for the information.

thomas35forever
Torii Hunter would be to Sox fans what Gary Gaetti was to Cubs fans: a hated player who's now on their side.

Tragg
I think Rowand's pretty average; but he's having a great year in his contract year, unlike the others.
Anyway, what sort of contract do yall think he'll get?

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Torii Hunter would be to Sox fans what Gary Gaetti was to Cubs fans: a hated player who's now on their side.
So AJ?

Daver
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
What was it, tendonitis in his rotator cuff? I have that right now. It sucks but it comes and goes and rest is really the only way to get rid of it for any length of time.

It has never been officially called tendinitis by the team, but that would be my guess, and only my guess.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I think Rowand's pretty average; but he's having a great year in his contract year, unlike the others.
Anyway, what sort of contract do yall think he'll get?
To be honest I think Boston and the Yanks will get into a bidding war after we sign Ichiro, and Rowand will get between 9-10 million a year. Maybe 4/38.

DumpJerry
07-08-2007, 09:37 PM

he pretty much shut that option down because he said their and wrigley field he doesnt feel comfortable out in center and thats where he broke his ankle like 2 years ago
I'm surprised I did not see any references to Hunter's interview Sunday morning on Hit and Run. He was first asked if he wanted to play for the team he was a fan of growing up, the Cubs. He said Andre Dawson was his favorite. He also said he would never sign with them because during an interleague game a couple of years back he crashed into the wall and his insides "got all shook up." He said it scared him and he would never want to play at The Urinal because of the lack of pads. He was then asked about Boston. He mentioned the funny angle in the wall which broke his ankle and seemed to write off the Red Sox (not as strongly as the Cubs, however). He was then asked about the White Sox. He said he loves the padded walls and loves hitting in Comiskey-he likes our park.

I would be excited to see him here. Ichiro is also an exciting prospect.

We can drop the Brian Anderson talk. As long as Ozzie and Kenny are in charge, he will never play up here. I think there is a 90%+ chance he will be traded by July 31, 2007. We can talk about his skills all we want, he's a goner regardless.

santo=dorf
07-08-2007, 09:38 PM
He's batting .300 this year with solid power. For a centerfielder, he puts up nice numbers. I can't believe I'm defending this guy :D:
With only a .346 OBP.

He's in a contract year which is why he's overperforming his BA by 33 points (.271,) OBP by 25 points (.324,) and SLG percentage by 94 points (.471.)

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:39 PM
If I had guess on where these 4 will go next year it would this:
Hunter-Texas
Ichiro-Wsox
Jones- Baltimore (backloaded, apparently after 08 they will free up like 65% of their salary)
Rowand-either NYY or Bos

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
We can drop the Brian Anderson talk. As long as Ozzie and Kenny are in charge, he will never play up here. I think there is a 90%+ chance he will be traded by July 31, 2007. We can talk about his skills all we want, he's a goner regardless.
While I'm pretty sure that's true, the odds of the BA talk actually stopping are... well, you know. It's almost a prerequisite to being a Sox fan.

DumpJerry
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
While I'm pretty sure that's true, the odds of the BA talk actually stopping are... well, you know. It's almost a prerequisite to being a Sox fan.
You're right. Sigh.

Get ready for the "bring back Aaron and Brian!" battle cry!:rolleyes:

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
You're right. Sigh.

Get ready for the "bring back Aaron and Brian!" battle cry!:rolleyes:
Imagine if BA did go on to have a legitimately good major-league career with someone else. We'd still be talking about it in 2022.

getonbckthr
Its just upsetting when you hear about these prospects and because they dont produce like Pujols did his rookie year they automatically not good enough and never will be.

RowanDye
Hunter-Texas
Ichiro-Wsox
Jones- Baltimore (backloaded, apparently after 08 they will free up like 65% of their salary)
Rowand-either NYY or Bos

:whiner: Will someone please take my previous post into account when they plug Ichiro or Hunter into our outfield, it took me about 20 minutes to think that one out?!

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Its just upsetting when you hear about these prospects and because they dont produce like Pujols did his rookie year they automatically not good enough and never will be.
Yeah that's not just Sox fans, baseball fans as a whole just don't seem to realize that not every rookie gets called up and starts tearing up the major leagues right away. Some do, but they're deep in the minority. Yet they seem to understand this about the NFL and are tolerant of rookies who make mistakes or whose performance isn't all that yet.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
:whiner: Will someone please take my previous post into account when they plug Ichiro or Hunter into our outfield, it took me about 20 minutes to think that one out?!
Ya but I plan Pods, Dye, Uribe and Iguchi all far far away from Chicago. As well as Contreras, Erstad and Mackowiak.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 09:51 PM
No real reason to get rid of Erstad and Macowiak, both are good bench players.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
No real reason to get rid of Erstad and Macowiak, both are good bench players.
Erstad will make like 3.5 million, no thanks as a bench player. Mackowiak is due 3.25. Thats almost 7 million tied in 2 bench guys.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I hope everyone is watching this game on ESPN and how easy Jones makes CF look and how shallow he is. (now he will go make 3 errors next inning:D:)

Tragg
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Just what we need now that the epic Buehrle thread has died, another Brian Anderson debate!

Oh well, I'll bite.

I don't think anyone expects the payroll to go up next season. We probably just made our biggest move in signing Buehrle. If we pick up Uribe's option, add in Mark's new contract, and raises to Garland, MacDougal, Thornton, and A.J. you're already looking at over $9M more in salary.

Add in small raises to Ozuna and some of the other younger guys and we're looking at ~10M in raises.

Erstad has a $3.5M option or $250K buyout, so we could save ~750K over this year if we buy him out. Mackowiak has a 300K buyout, so we could save $2.45M buying him out. Cintron's $1.9M off the books will also help.

Doing the math there, we'd be ~$5M over this years payroll just from raises, and we still need to figure out if we're going to keep Iguchi, Dye, Crede, and/or Pods.

Iguchi will be due a small payraise, but I could see Dye, Crede, and Pods signing cheaper, 1 yr. contracts.
I'm dumbfounded that we're spending 4.5 million for mack and cintron (1.9 mill for cintron???). Some minimum salary utility players will bring much needed salary relief. Hello Andy Gonzalez; hello Torrero.

Otherwise, you have pretty much everyone back but Contreras. I don't see it. Uribe, Pods, Dye, Erstad, Mack, Cintron, backup catcher, Iguchi.....I'd be surpised if more than 2 on that list returns.

I think Williams will still work a few trades in the next 3 weeks.

RowanDye
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Ya but I plan Pods, Dye, Uribe and Iguchi all far far away from Chicago. As well as Contreras, Erstad and Mackowiak.

Erstad will make like 3.5 million, no thanks as a bench player. Mackowiak is due 3.25. Thats almost 7 million tied in 2 bench guys.

My post already accounted for losing Mack and Erstad.

If you drop Iguchi and Uribe you save ~$9M, but who are you going to replace them with?

Even if JR decides to spend about the same amount of money, things are going to be tight.

Getting rid of 5 starting position players and a starting pitcher, so you can sign a 32 (Hunter) or 34 (Ichiro) year old CF just doesn't sound like much of an upgrade overall.

Even if we get 2 stud prospects for Contreras and sign someone like Eckstein to replace Iguchi or Uribe, we'd be starting unproven players at 4 spots (3B, LF, SS/2B, CF/RF).

I just don't think we're going to be a major player in the Ichiro or Hunter sweepstakes.

Daver
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM

If you drop Iguchi and Uribe you save ~$9M, but who are you going to replace them with?

Even if JR decides to spend about the same amount of money, things are going to be tight.

Getting rid of 5 starting position players and a starting pitcher, so you can sign a 32 (Hunter) or 34 (Ichiro) year old CF just doesn't sound like much of an upgrade overall.

Even if we get 2 stud prospects for Contreras and sign someone like Eckstein to replace Iguchi or Uribe, we'd be starting unproven players at 4 spots (3B, LF, SS/2B, CF/RF).

I just don't think we're going to be a major player in the Ichiro or Hunter sweepstakes.

Even though he has yet to play the position for the White Sox, Andy Gonzalez is a SS, and not a bad one. He can also play second base.

rowand33
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Rowand is nothing more than average defensively. and as stated earlier, running into walls and diving does not make you a great centerfielder.

i'd love to see torii here

I agree with this 100%.

however, the peopel saying that Rowand is a crappy CF...

that's ridiculous.

He's fine. He's no gold glover, but he's not a liability.

The Rowand-hate to counteract the Rowand-love is annoying.

I'd be fine with him in CF. He's an upgrade over what we have right now. I'd rather have Torii or Ichiro though(NOT Jones. Sure the career line is fine, but I wouldn't want to overspend on a guy that's hitting .204 this year. He'd probably bounce back next year, but I wouldn't want him to be a question mark for the sox).

I'd love having Rowand at one of the corners though, especially with the season he's having this year at the plate.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm not gonna lie i'm really lazy right now. Tommorow when I get home from work (bout 1130 am) I will go through and give you my perfect 08 team including fiscal responsibility and common sense. I'm off the bed y'all gotta be up at 230 am for work at 3 am. Good chatting today we may not all agree but at least we are passionate and educated, at least most of us.

Brian26
07-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Even though he has yet to play the position for the White Sox, Andy Gonzalez is a SS, and not a bad one. He can also play second base.

I like what I see out of him at the plate. If he's more comfortable in the middle infield than in the outfield, that might be a good fit.

Daver
07-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree with this 100%.

however, the peopel saying that Rowand is a crappy CF...

that's ridiculous.

He's fine. He's no gold glover, but he's not a liability.

The Rowand-hate to counteract the Rowand-love is annoying.

I'd be fine with him in CF. He's an upgrade over what we have right now. I'd rather have Torii or Ichiro though(NOT Jones. Sure the career line is fine, but I wouldn't want to overspend on a guy that's hitting .204 this year. He'd probably bounce back next year, but I wouldn't want him to be a question mark for the sox).

I'd love having Rowand at one of the corners though, especially with the season he's having this year at the plate.

He is a crappy CF'er, and I have always said that, search this site, I said it from the day he was called up.

getonbckthr
07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
I like what I see out of him at the plate. If he's more comfortable in the middle infield than in the outfield, that might be a good fit.
Gonzo and Richar as our MI sounds pretty good in my eyes.

RowanDye
07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm dumbfounded that we're spending 4.5 million for mack and cintron (1.9 mill for cintron???). Some minimum salary utility players will bring much needed salary relief. Hello Andy Gonzalez; hello Torrero.

Otherwise, you have pretty much everyone back but Contreras. I don't see it. Uribe, Pods, Dye, Erstad, Mack, Cintron, backup catcher, Iguchi.....I'd be surpised if more than 2 on that list returns.

I think Williams will still work a few trades in the next 3 weeks.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear about who I expected back.

I was actually saying to drop Erstad, Mack, Cintron, and one of Pods or Dye.

If you consider that Toby Hall is already guaranteed $1.75M next year, your projection of 2 returning from that list isn't far off from mine.

My projections included Iguchi, Uribe, and either Pods or Dye.

I only suggest signing Pods or Dye because they might sign cheap/short-term contracts and we're already going to be tight on cash and short on outfielders!

Tragg
07-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I think he played infield at Charlotte. But he hasn't been able to nudge Cintron or Uribe up here, so it's strictly outfield. Ozzie said he wants him to play 1st in the winter.

Tragg
07-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Ichiro-Wsox

Did he really say this? (per Stark)

Ichiro on how his first visit to Wrigley Field reminded him of an old stadium from his youth in Japan: "It had a similar smell of fresh garbage."

Norberto7
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Surprised nobody has brought this up, so I'll do it:

If Hunter was a member of the Sox and said, "Oh. You know, this is a place I hit well in, everything is perfect out there. Minnesota is one place I would consider. When I come here, I have fun. I love it," you'd probably question how good of a teammate he was being, and rightfully so, I think.

But hey, if he's talking about coming to the Sox while on another team, that's cool, right?

Even if you want to head somewhere during your impending free agency, I would think it would be prudent to not mention that...to me, that just doesn't seem like a "team" kind of guy.

thomas35forever
07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Surprised nobody has brought this up, so I'll do it:

If Hunter was a member of the Sox and said, "Oh. You know, this is a place I hit well in, everything is perfect out there. Minnesota is one place I would consider. When I come here, I have fun. I love it," you'd probably question how good of a teammate he was being, and rightfully so, I think.

But hey, if he's talking about coming to the Sox while on another team, that's cool, right?

Even if you want to head somewhere during your impending free agency, I would think it would be prudent to not mention that...to me, that just doesn't seem like a "team" kind of guy.
Maybe Torii should be careful with what he's saying. The Twins obviously don't wanna lose their franchise player to their archrival, so they might just step it up a notch in the second half and tell Torii "You sure you wanna leave a team that's won five of the last six division titles?"

soxfanreggie
07-08-2007, 11:06 PM
He's interested in us...I am definitely interested in him. No matter Ichiro, Jones, Rowand, or Hunter, I think it would be an upgrade in the OF.

jdm2662
07-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't mind Hunter, but some has said, I think he is overrated as well. If he comes at a reasonable price (5-7 million), it be ok. However, he is going to command at least 12-13. He can go somewhere else.

TheOldRoman
07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Maybe Torii should be careful with what he's saying. The Twins obviously don't wanna lose their franchise player to their archrival, so they might just step it up a notch in the second half and tell Torii "You sure you wanna leave a team that's won five of the last six division titles?":?:Johan Santana is under contract for 2008.

oeo
07-08-2007, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't mind Hunter, but some has said, I think he is overrated as well. If he comes at a reasonable price (5-7 million), it be ok. However, he is going to command at least 12-13. He can go somewhere else.

He's making 12 million right now...he's going to be asking for more than that.

jabrch
07-09-2007, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't pay him much more than Pierre got.

thomas35forever
07-09-2007, 12:27 AM
:?:Johan Santana is under contract for 2008.
Hunter has more experience than Santana and in my opinion, defines the Twins' never-say-die attitude. That's why I believe he is their franchise player.

Gavin
07-09-2007, 01:30 AM
He is a crappy CF'er, and I have always said that, search this site, I said it from the day he was called up.

Because you shouted something five years ago doesn't make you any more right than if you shouted it first just yesterday. Mackowiak is a crappy OF; Podsednik is a crappy OF; Rowand is more than adequate compared to the rest of this organization.

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Hunter should play here; he's made 90% of his best catches here.Oh, I don't know. He's made a few at the Humpdome.

Ichiro-WsoxNo way would the Sox pay what he's going to command. I just don't see it.

With the way the Yankees spend, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see both Hunter and Ichiro end up there, with Hunter in center and Ichiro in right.

oeo
07-09-2007, 03:38 AM
Oh, I don't know. He's made a few at the Humpdome.

No way would the Sox pay what he's going to command. I just don't see it.

With the way the Yankees spend, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see both Hunter and Ichiro end up there, with Hunter in center and Ichiro in right.

Unless they somehow unload Matsui and Damon, that's not going to happen. They also have Melky Cabrera there...he's got to get a starting job soon, doesn't he? If not, we'll take him. :D:

Nellie_Fox
07-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Unless they somehow unload Matsui and Damon, that's not going to happen. They also have Melky Cabrera there...he's got to get a starting job soon, doesn't he? If not, we'll take him. :D:Damon has not lived up to Yankee expectations. Matsui in left, Hunter in center, Ichiro in right, Cabrera the fourth outfielder.

Of course, I'm talking out of my nether regions, but it seems that the Yankees just keep spending on top of spending. If the last spending doesn't work, screw it, spend some more.

Domeshot17
07-09-2007, 06:50 AM
One thing to note about Torri, it sounds like he is trying to build himself a market. Not too long ago he said it would be really cool if the Yankees made a run at signing him. I think he has 5-8 teams he wants to play for, and he is trying to draw interest in himself.

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
One thing to note about Torri, it sounds like he is trying to build himself a market. Not too long ago he said it would be really cool if the Yankees made a run at signing him. I think he has 5-8 teams he wants to play for, and he is trying to draw interest in himself.

Exactly. He's just letting all potential buyers know that he will gladly play for them if the price is right. Nothing to see here.

I do expect that the Twins will make an effort to re-sign him before the deadline. As for the Sox, I expect them to focus on more affordable and younger outfielders such as Eric Byrnes, Cory Patterson and He Who Must Not Be Named. Fukudome probably will also be in the mix.

jenn2080
07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I will come to Minni and help you pack.

balke
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I think he's the kind of player who raises his stats for signing day. I think he's pulling a Beltre.

Over his career he's GIDP's a ton. And other than so far this season, he's not a superstar at the plate. I do understand the philosophy of taking him off of the Twins and bringing him to the Sox though. I would welcome him here, but would hope another good-great outfielder like Jermaine would be in the outfield with him.

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2007, 11:44 AM
But what if we get Jammie Burke back?? :D:

eriqjaffe
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
But what if we get Jammie Burke back?? :D:Then Burke better watch out during Spring Training intrasquad games.

letsgosox1592
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I predict that:
Ichiro will sign with the Redsox
Torri Hunter will sign with the Yankees
Andruw Jones will sign with the Padres
Aaron Rowand will sign with either the Angels or Dodgers

SBSoxFan
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Ichiro is also an exciting prospect.

Yes he is. Why not just go for it? You can still go after a lower-tiered outfielder if Ichiro signs elsewhere. However, I think Ichiro may be better served long-term in RF rather than CF. So, who plays CF, especially if BA gets traded as you figured? You won't have money for another free agent so you are left with Erstad and Owens. Can you live with an outfield of Pods, Owens, and Ichiro? That's some bad arms in CF and LF, but it would be fun to watch them on the basepaths if Owens could ever hit.

Actually, I think I could live with Pods/Owens in LF, Anderson in CF, and Ichiro in RF.

SBSoxFan
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
With only a .346 OBP.

He's in a contract year which is why he's overperforming his BA by 33 points (.271,) OBP by 25 points (.324,) and SLG percentage by 94 points (.471.)

So how do you explain Dye and Iguchi? Is it just the Sox' luck that they have guys in contract years who put up poor numbers?

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 01:48 PM
So how do you explain Dye and Iguchi? Is it just the Sox' luck that they have guys in contract years who put up poor numbers?

Injuries are a large part of Dye and Iguchi's struggles. Iguchi started the year with a bruised wrist and only recently started hitting the ball well. Dye has been dealing with a bruised quad for a few weeks now, otherwise I think he would have started to break out of his slump (remember 2005)?

SBSoxFan
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Injuries are a large part of Dye and Iguchi's struggles. Iguchi started the year with a bruised wrist and only recently started hitting the ball well. Dye has been dealing with a bruised quad for a few weeks now, otherwise I think he would have started to break out of his slump (remember 2005)?

How could I forget? :D:

wdelaney72
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
As already stated, NYY have Damon, Matsui, Melky, and on option on Bobby Abreu. Boston has JD Drew, Manny Ramirez, and a whole lot of hype invested in Willy Mo Pena.

There's quite a few options for free-agent center fielders, but not a lot of teams with deep pockets. These guys might not see some of the contracts that were signed last off-season.

Hunter may be reasonably priced... I'd have no problem with him in center.

The Immigrant
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Boston has JD Drew, Manny Ramirez, and a whole lot of hype invested in Willy Mo Pena.

Don't forget Covelli Crisp and Jacoby Ellsbury.

ma-gaga
07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm guessing the line for Hunter starts at 4 years, $50MM. The likely "winner" in the Torii Hunter sweepstakes will be around 5 years, $65mm deal. And that might be a bit low.

The scary thing to me, is that the Twins have the budget for Hunter next year, and they don't have anyone up and coming in the minors to fill the looming void in CF. So I would consider them VERY LIKELY to try to retain his services. If NYY or Boston gets involved, I don't think they'll have a shot, but if Torii gives the Twins a discount, I'd put the likelihood at him resigning at around 50%.

I've seen the "defensive stats" that show that Tyner or Ford could fill in at centerfield, but it's clear watching the games that Hunter brings more range to the table. He's clearly not the defensive wizard that he was 2 years ago, but he's still better than 60% of the opposing CF'ers the Twins go up against, and significantly better than anyone the Twins would replace him with.

:cool:

santo=dorf
07-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Andruw Jones is flopping in a contract year as well. Somebody should tell them to wake up. It happens as well.

Look at Hunter's career. He is consistently a lower average, little patience, above average slugging, hitter.

PennStater98r
07-09-2007, 06:07 PM

First of all, I hate Torrrrrrrrri Hunterrrrrr.

That said, do you mean like - David Ortiz?

tick53
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see him here. He has robbed the Sox blind of extra base hits. Good player overall.

rdwj
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Exactly - for the right price, he's a nice addition, but he isn't worth super-star money IMHO.

TheVulture
07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Then add in the guy never got the same oppertunity that Fields has gotten this season.
You mean the 134 games Anderson played in 2006 wasn't an opportunity?

chisoxmike
07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
First of all, I hate Torrrrrrrrri Hunterrrrrr.

That said, do you mean like - David Ortiz?

No.

Ortiz became a star on the Red Sox. I'm talking about guys like Shannon Stewart, Corey Koskie, Christan Guzman, Doug Mencaisghkdhguiez. Maybe they aren't "stars" but they had decent careers on the Twins. Then these hacks that haven't done anything since they've left the Twins organazation.

I know, your next thing will be "What about A.J.?"

I should just start wearing Twins gear for the rest of my life. Everything would go my way, regardless if I have the talent, know-how, or belonging.

Fenway
07-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Here is where he will wind up The Yankees know Damon is done

SAN FRANCISCO - Torii Hunter, who figures to be one of the premier free agents on the market this winter, especially now that Ichiro Suzuki will be staying in Seattle, admits that, as much as he would like to stay in Minnesota, it's been impossible not to think about what it would be like playing in, say, New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/07/11/2007-07-11_hunter_game_to_try_ny.html

jenn2080
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Here is where he will wind up The Yankees know Damon is done

SAN FRANCISCO - Torii Hunter, who figures to be one of the premier free agents on the market this winter, especially now that Ichiro Suzuki will be staying in Seattle, admits that, as much as he would like to stay in Minnesota, it's been impossible not to think about what it would be like playing in, say, New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/07/11/2007-07-11_hunter_game_to_try_ny.html

Lame. I think that is a typo and they meant Chicago.

santo=dorf
07-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Compared to the 3-4 seasons Crede got while stinking up the joint yet playing good defense, no, it wasn't much of an opportunity.

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2007, 08:37 PM

Being jerked in and out of the lineup is not much of an "opportunity." Many of those 134 games were appearances as a late-inning defensive replacement, and many others were incomplete games where Mackowiak pinch hit for him.

More significantly, Anderson was benched for the second game of the season after getting two hits in the first game. That empirically proves that Ozzie's plan all along was to treat CF as more or less of a platoon situation between he and Mackowiak, and supports Ozzie's statements - made before the season began - that he intended to give Mackowiak lots of playing time in CF.

These facts are not in dispute.

The only thing that is in dispute is whether it was enough time for Anderson to figure out MLB pitching and/or whether it was enough time to come to a final conclusion on whether or not Anderson could ever succeed as an MLB hitter. I contend it was not.

Compared to the 3-4 seasons Crede got while stinking up the joint yet playing good defense, no, it wasn't much of an opportunity.

Exactly.

Taliesinrk
07-12-2007, 12:48 AM

THANK YOU!!! finally someone else says it..

how are we still arguing over this? it's clear he hasn't gotten the shot that others have. and don't look at the 134 games, look at the ab's and opportunity anderson had to act as a full-time regular...... not much

EDIT: sorry, i got so excited at reading santo's post that i went immediately to reply. apparently frater had said enough

soxinem1
07-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Honestly, I think Mike Cameron would be a great upgrade. He strikes out a bit, but he is a bit quicker running wise and is a much better base stealer, even though he's a bit older. He's sure better than anything offensively we've had in CF since Rowand's 2004 season.

His career OBP is about .340, which is not bad

They could sign him for a lot less than Hunter, and he's a home grown guy.
What better reunion scenario could you ask for?

ChiSoxlukes
07-16-2007, 07:21 PM
If we go the cheaper way what about an outfield of Jenkins, Rowand, and Byrnes w/ Erstad as the 4th outfielder. We could get that outfield with the price it would cost to get Hunter. Then get a shortstop who can lead off such as Eckstein. Just a thought.
The grinder lineup would look like this:

Eckstein
Byrnes/Rowand
Thome
Pauly
Jenkins
Crede/Fields
AJ
Rowand/Byrnes
Richar

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
If we go the cheaper way what about an outfield of Jenkins, Rowand, and Byrnes w/ Erstad as the 4th outfielder. We could get that outfield with the price it would cost to get Hunter. Then get a shortstop who can lead off such as Eckstein. Just a thought.
The grinder lineup would look like this:

Eckstein
Byrnes/Rowand
Thome
Pauly
Jenkins
Crede/Fields
AJ
Rowand/Byrnes
Richar
Rowand, Byrnes, Jenkins and Erstad for a combined 18 million? Erstad will get 3.5 alone. Not to mention that lineup sucks. If thats are lineup next season we will lose 100 games guarenteed.

soxinem1
07-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Rowand, Byrnes, Jenkins and Erstad for a combined 18 million? Erstad will get 3.5 alone. Not to mention that lineup sucks. If thats are lineup next season we will lose 100 games guarenteed.

Jenkins, Rowand, and Byrnes would be more productive than the starting
2005-2007 OF that was put out there. It would probably not be championship caliber, but as far as stats are concerned, our OF as a whole has not been productive in some time.