PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's Love For the Twins

SluggersAway
07-07-2007, 06:11 PM
‘‘A long, bad [day],’’ Guillen said. ‘‘It was hard to watch...I have a new name for those guys. They were piranha, but now they’re sharks. They’re bigger fish now.’

Why does Ozzie say this stuff?

I am sure no one on the team wants to hear it and no fan does either, it pumps up the Twins and their fans and gets thrown back in our faces.

Gavin
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Man up, man. The Twins wooped Sox ass yesterday. Guillen's just calling it like it is.

SluggersAway
07-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I have no problem calling it like it is, but the nicknames don't do any good, they hurt the team and fuel the flames of a rival. It just doesn't make good sense.

chisoxmike
07-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Man up, man. The Twins wooped Sox ass yesterday. Guillen's just calling it like it is.

I don't have a problem with his comments yesterday, but the piranhas **** and Twins man love is annoying .

lostfan
07-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't have a problem with his comments yesterday, but the piranhas **** and Twins man love is annoying .
Yeah, it really is... it's bad enough we suck and the Twins own us but then we have to hear Ozzie gush about how good they are. I didn't even know Ozzie was still doing this. It's just begging Twins fans to ridicule us Sox fans, really unnecessary.

MarySwiss
07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Agreed. If you're going to compare the Twins to anything, how about crickets? Annoying when they get into your house, but usually incapable of doing any serious damage when they get into the playoffs (assuming that crickets have playoffs).

chisoxmike
07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I should just wear a Twins gear the rest of my life. Everything would go my way regardless if I have talent or I belong in a certain place or not.

AJ Hellraiser
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I really don't have a problem with it... it shows respect and a certain level of class

When the Sox start owning the Twins the way they've owned us the last 6 or 7 years then it'll be a different story

I also don't understand how it fuels the rivalry... would you rather Ozzie was saying that them always beating us is luck or their players aren't good and then they get mad?

I hate the Twins because they are the Sox rival... but, they are a model organization and I wish we had players that can flash the leather, run the bases and bunt the way they do

chisoxmike
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I really don't have a problem with it... it shows respect and a certain level of class

When the Sox start owning the Twins the way they've owned us the last 6 or 7 years then it'll be a different story

I also don't understand how it fuels the rivalry... would you rather Ozzie was saying that them always beating us is luck or their players aren't good and then they get mad?

I hate the Twins because they are the Sox rival... but, they are a model organization and I wish we had players that can flash the leather, run the bases and bunt the way they do

I wish our players had the heart the Twins do.

AJ Hellraiser
07-07-2007, 06:37 PM

Agreed.

And which player has the most heart and is taking the losses and poor play the hardest? AJ.... The one player we have that went through the Twins' farm system

kitekrazy
07-07-2007, 06:39 PM

I think that's what Ozzie would really like to say.

SluggersAway
07-07-2007, 06:46 PM
It fuels the flames because Twins fans use it in their signs and as a rallying cry.

It is a slap in the face to Sox fans because our manager gave it to them.

giganticHead
07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
What I saw yesterday was Ozzie trying to get people thrown out for yelling at him during the debacle last night and then glaring at them for the next couple innings.

Me, he only told me to f off when I asked him if there was a slaughter rule. Childish, maybe; but when you are watching the worst display of baseball you have ever seen, you have to entertain yourself somehow.

I expected him to be pissed. Spending 12 hours at the ball park and then see ozzie pick out a new nickname for the Twins just sucks.

I want my day back.

eriqjaffe
07-07-2007, 07:22 PM
would you rather Ozzie was saying that them always beating us is luck or their players aren't good and then they get mad?I would rather Ozzie say either:

"Yeah, they played really well today, and we just didn't execute. But tomorrow's another day."

...or something that would probably break the curse filters on this board. :)

rdivaldi
07-07-2007, 08:56 PM
It fuels the flames because Twins fans use it in their signs and as a rallying cry.

:?:

You really think the Twins play better because Ozzie gave them a nickname?

We've not been as bad against the Twinkies as some people here like to believe we have (cough.....lostfan). They've had some games against us when they came back little by little and end up winning, thus the pirahana reference. No big deal, and definitely a "slap in the face".

Since 2000 vs. the Twins:

2000: 7- 5
2001: 5- 14
2002: 8- 11
2003: 9- 10
2004: 9- 10
2005: 11- 7
2006: 9- 10

Except for a fluke 2001, it's been pretty much even.

vegyrex
07-07-2007, 09:09 PM

The slap in the face to Sox fans wasn't Ozzie's comments, it was the team's poor play. The Sox simply didn't belong on the same field as the Twins yesterday. :(:

lostfan
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM

You really think the Twins play better because Ozzie gave them a nickname?

We've not been as bad against the Twinkies as some people here like to believe we have (cough.....lostfan). They've had some games against us when they came back little by little and end up winning, thus the pirahana reference. No big deal, and definitely a "slap in the face".

I'm sorry if I forgot my homer glasses... I'm talking about this year going back to the middle of last year where we've looked helpless against them. If you want to ignore reality, that's fine, that's totally within your rights as a fan I suppose. But we have not been playing well against them recently. At all.

Oh, and FWIW (since I'm not the one who tried to make this point) a quick use of the calculator has the total record of 58-67 against them since 2000 (not counting this year which would make the gap even wider). This doesn't do much to make your point. And considering 2005 was literally the only year in that period where they had a winning record against the Twins, if any of the years were a "fluke" that's got to be it.

So back to my original point - no, I don't like Twins fans coming back and reminding me about this, and even more than that I hate the fact that they use words from our own manager's mouth.

Patrick134
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry if I forgot my homer glasses... I'm talking about this year going back to the middle of last year where we've looked helpless against them. If you want to ignore reality, that's fine, that's totally within your rights as a fan I suppose. But we have not been playing well against them recently. At all.

Oh, and FWIW (since I'm not the one who tried to make this point) a quick use of the calculator has the total record of 58-67 against them since 2000. This doesn't do much to make your point. And considering 2005 was literally the only year in that period where they had a winning record against the Twins, if any of the years were a "fluke" that's got to be it.

So back to my original point - no, I don't like Twins fans coming back and reminding me about this, and even more than that I hate the fact that they use words from our own manager's mouth.

Where the heck do you run into twins fans ? I went to a sox game at the twinkiedome and didn't even see many twins fans there.

lostfan
07-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Where the heck do you run into twins fans ? I went to a sox game at the twinkiedome and didn't even see many twins fans there.
On the Internet, on the Sporting News, etc. I don't live in anymore Chicago btw. Fans of all the division rivals except the Royals are pretty obnoxious, but Twins fans are usually the worst.

chisoxmike
07-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Holy ****. They're all over the ****ing place.

All night last night when I was out, I can't tell you how many people went up to me saying "Go Twins." "Sox suck." And this is my favorite of the night...

A girl went up to me in this bar and said "Aren't you embarrassed to be wearing that Sox shirt?" I said "No. Never."

She goes: "Well, I'm a Twins fan, I think you should be. We kicked your ass!" 32 runs."

I replied: "I'll never be embarrassed to be a White Sox fan."

She just went "Well, you should." Then walked away.

I hate Twins fans.

Grzegorz
07-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I hate Twins fans.

Mike, don't hate them pity them. :D:

lostfan
07-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Holy ****. They're all over the ****ing place.

All night last night when I was out, I can't tell you how many people went up to me saying "Go Twins." "Sox suck." And this is my favorite of the night...

A girl went up to me in this bar and said "Aren't you embarrassed to be wearing that Sox shirt?" I said "No. Never."

She goes: "Well, I'm a Twins fan, I think you should be. We kicked your ass!" 32 runs."

I replied: "I'll never be embarrassed to be a White Sox fan."

She just went "Well, you should." Then walked away.

I hate Twins fans.
They're really ****ing obnoxious. Yeah, a certain amount of ribbing and trash talk is to be expected, but they're really stupid about it. One guy justified being an ******* by telling me "you guys started acting like complete and utter jackasses after the WS win." I said first of all, I'm not one of those jackasses, and secondly you were probably talking to a know-nothing frontrunner anyway, and thirdly, why does that make it OK for you to be a douchebag?

JB98
07-07-2007, 10:41 PM

I was at the Cell today, and my mother and I were the only two people in our row rooting for the Sox.

Our park is crawling with Twins fans this weekend.

SluggersAway
07-07-2007, 10:45 PM

Please stop the trolling. That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on WSI.

SluggersAway
07-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Anyway, my whole point is you didn't see our division rivals in 2005 saying: "Oh yea, the Sox are amazing, they are lions and tear us to pieces, chew us up, and spit us out."

It plays right into their hand and demoralizes the team and the fan base.

But, for some reason, Ozzie does.

A Sox fan doesn't like to see Ozzie's words thrown back in their face by Twins fans or announcers or broadcasters. A similar thing happened with Boston and the Yankees and it always backfires.

The Twins are not piranhas or sharks, the Sox just didn't play up to the same level of the competition. End of story.

JB98
07-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Anyway, my whole point is you didn't see our division rivals in 2005 saying: "Oh yea, the Sox are amazing, they are lions and tear us to pieces, chew us up, and spit us out."

A Sox fan doesn't like to see Ozzie's words thrown back in their face by Twins fans or announcers or broadcasters. A similar thing happened with Boston and the Yankees and it always backfires.

The Twins are not piranhas or sharks, the Sox just didn't play up to the same level of the competition. End of story.

I'm tired of that piranha crap. It became a national media phenomenon, and I wish Ozzie never would have said it.

Nick Punto sucks. Don't put his sorry ass on a pedestal.

I hope Ozzie challenges his players to meet the Twins' intensity. Today's victory notwithstanding, I'm a little weary of getting my ass kicked by "the little team that could" from Minnesota.

I hate the Twins. I hate their fans. I hate their announcers. I hate their whole organization. I want our manager, coaches and players to hate them too.

ChiSoxGirl
07-07-2007, 11:16 PM

I know you were at the concert and didn't hear the postgame last night, so I'll fill you in. Rongey played Ozzie's interview after the game, and he's now referring to the Twins as "sharks." :rolleyes: I'm with you... this Twins man love is sick.

oeo
07-08-2007, 12:34 AM

It was Ozzie's fault that they took the whole piranha thing and ran with it last year? Ozzie says a lot of crap, that just happened to catch on for whatever reason.

SaltyPretzel
07-08-2007, 12:35 AM
If the Twins are sharks, I guess we're a bunch of flounders.

http://www.brightonmarina-seafishing.co.uk/FLOUNDER.JPG

oeo
07-08-2007, 12:40 AM

Last year, the A's said we were the best team in baseball. Justin Morneau mentioned that no team wanted to see the Sox in the playoffs. People had plenty of nice things to say. How anyone can blame the piranha bull**** on Ozzie, I do not know. Again, he says **** all the time...it's not his fault that Twins marketing is too lazy and used it.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Last year, the A's said we were the best team in baseball. Justin Morneau mentioned that no team wanted to see the Sox in the playoffs. People had plenty of nice things to say. How anyone can blame the piranha bull**** on Ozzie, I do not know. Again, he says **** all the time...it's not his fault that Twins marketing is too lazy and used it.
...And yet he keeps saying it... and then escalates it after all that...

Bobby Jenks
07-08-2007, 02:13 AM

I disagree. Most Twins fans hate it (I have a office full of them)

wassagstdu
07-08-2007, 07:38 AM
I disagree. Most Twins fans hate it (I have a office full of them)
Piranhas are disgusting (like maggot fish) and sharks are very stupid and universally hated (except by kids who like dinosaurs too). Let Twins fans make their signs.

FarWestChicago
07-08-2007, 08:19 AM
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on WSI.This must be the first thread you've ever read here.

rdivaldi
07-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Oh, and FWIW (since I'm not the one who tried to make this point) a quick use of the calculator has the total record of 58-67 against them since 2000 (not counting this year which would make the gap even wider). This doesn't do much to make your point. And considering 2005 was literally the only year in that period where they had a winning record against the Twins, if any of the years were a "fluke" that's got to be it.

Homer glasses? Using facts makes you a homer? Can you also check your calculator, it seems to have the factual accuracy of your posts. Discounting 2001:
7 + 8 + 9 + 9 + 11 + 9 = 53
5 + 11 + 10 + 10 + 7 + 10 = 53

Throw in 2007 and the disadvantage becomes (gasp) 57 - 60!

Let their silly fans say "PIRHANA!" until they turn blue in the face it's inconsequential to the results on the field. Newbie hysteria and misinformation has found an unfortunate niche on this board.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Homer glasses? Using facts makes you a homer? Can you also check your calculator, it seems to have the factual accuracy of your posts. Discounting 2001:
7 + 8 + 9 + 9 + 11 + 9 = 53
5 + 11 + 10 + 10 + 7 + 10 = 53

Throw in 2007 and the disadvantage becomes (gasp) 57 - 60!

Let their silly fans say "PIRHANA!" until they turn blue in the face it's inconsequential to the results on the field. Newbie hysteria and misinformation has found an unfortunate niche on this board.
:rolleyes:If you really want to make an argument you can't just arbitrarily take away the one year that doesn't fit the point you're trying to make. If you do that you might as well take away the Sox's best year (2005) too, and then viola, the Sox have a losing record again, including this year. It's so easy to manipulate stats in your favor to try and discredit the other person isn't it? Newbie hysteria my ass.

But again, I repeat, this is YOUR argument, not mine. The only thing I've ever said is the Sox haven't played well against the Twins recently. Who honestly disputes that?

rdivaldi
07-08-2007, 03:27 PM
the Twins own us

Your words, not mine. You epitomize newbie hysteria, complaining about everything and making blanket statements. After todays win we will have split the 4 game series, thus making our record against the Twins this year 5- 7. Wow, they really "own us".

rdivaldi
07-08-2007, 03:30 PM
The only thing I've ever said is the Sox haven't played well against the Twins recently. Who honestly disputes that?

Complete change in tone from your original hysterical rant. Sure we haven't played "well" against them, we're 5- 7 against them this year. But trying to change your original cry of "THEY OWN US" isn't going to work. The thrashing we took on Friday got to you and you reacted like a goof.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Complete change in tone from your original hysterical rant. Sure we haven't played "well" against them, we're 5- 7 against them this year. But trying to change your original cry of "THEY OWN US" isn't going to work. The thrashing we took on Friday got to you and you reacted like a goof.
You're going to talk about how I reacted THAT DAY? I don't know what game you were watching, but YES, THEY ****ING OWNED US. I don't know what you're trying to prove by calling me out and making **** up and calling me names and putting yourself on a pedestal above "people like me" because I haven't been a member of this site for that long (?)

Dude just don't say **** else if you're gonna be like that... I'm taking the high road. I'm done. There's nothing else positive to add to this "discussion" so I'm just gonna end it now. Say what you want, take your shots, I don't care. Won't bother me.

rdivaldi
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
You're going to talk about how I reacted THAT DAY? I don't know what game you were watching, but YES, THEY ****ING OWNED US. I don't know what you're trying to prove by calling me out and making **** up and calling me names and putting yourself on a pedestal above "people like me" because I haven't been a member of this site for that long (?)

Dude just don't say **** else if you're gonna be like that... I'm taking the high road. I'm done. There's nothing else positive to add to this "discussion" so I'm just gonna end it now. Say what you want, take your shots, I don't care. Won't bother me.

Simply put, I think a lot of us long time posters are tired of the newbies coming on and freaking out in every thread. Not trying to pick on you, but there were a lot of inconsistencies with what you were saying.

lostfan
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Simply put, I think a lot of us long time posters are tired of the newbies coming on and freaking out in every thread. Not trying to pick on you, but there were a lot of inconsistencies with what you were saying.
No offense, but it really feels like you were just looking for one which I take personally and think is a joke at the same time.

Besides, whether I'm around a bunch of Sox fans or not I don't think it's unreasonable to say "the Sox suck" right about now.

SOXandILLINI
07-10-2007, 07:21 AM

AHHHHH, It's good to be back.... :bandance:

SOXandILLINI
07-10-2007, 07:27 AM

Be careful lost, a banning may be around the corner for you. Be prepared for all kinds of excuses from alot of people on this board, but the tide does seem to be turning at least a little.

DrCrawdad
07-10-2007, 07:37 AM

I'd say that's pretty even as well. Even this past weekend from the enormity of the first two losses might make one think the Twinkies "own the Sox", but then what actually happened is the Sox split the series with the Twinkies.

Sure those first two losses were ugly and painful for us Sox fans, but in the end the Twinkies split a four game series with the Sox, a team that they should have taken at least 3 of 4 against. And the Twinkies went into the All Star break on a (2 game) losing streak.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2007, 07:45 AM

First of all, rdivaldi's post said "except for 2001". So, taking out 2001 he is exactly right, they are 53-53. They are 5-7 against the Twins so far this year. Whether you want to count 2001 is a separate issue. You chose to add it in which is irrelevant to the original post. Second of all, 2005 was not "literally the only year ... they had a winning record against the Twins ...." They did in 2000 also.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
I'd say that's pretty even as well. Even this past weekend from the enormity of the first two losses might make one think the Twinkies "own the Sox", but then what actually happened is the Sox split the series with the Twinkies.

Sure those first two losses were ugly and painful for us Sox fans, but in the end the Twinkies split a four game series with the Sox, a team that they should have taken at least 3 of 4 against. And the Twinkies went into the All Star break on a (2 game) losing streak.

I disagree Crawdad. I can't understand how the Sox didn't take 3 of 4 from them. 99 times out of 100 the Sox win the first game of the double header with Garland starting and the Sox scoring 14 runs.

I can't understand how the Twins are even over 500. Have you seen the starting pitching the Twins are running out there? After Santana, who the Sox didn't face this series, they don't have a starter with an ERA below 4.58, unless you count Garza who has made 1 start. They also don't have a regular 4 and 5 starters. Santana, Bosner, and Silva have each made 18 starts. Five other pitchers have started the remaining 34 games. I suspect this will catch up to them eventually.

SOXandILLINI
07-10-2007, 08:08 AM
I disagree Crawdad. I can't understand how the Sox didn't take 3 of 4 from them. 99 times out of 100 the Sox win the first game of the double header with Garland starting and the Sox scoring 14 runs.

I can't understand how the Twins are even over 500. Have you seen the starting pitching the Twins are running out there? After Santana, who the Sox didn't face this series, they don't have a starter with an ERA below 4.58, unless you count Garza who has made 1 start. They also don't have a regular 4 and 5 starters. Santana, Bosner, and Silva have each made 18 starts. Five other pitchers have started the remaining 34 games. I suspect this will catch up to them eventually.

Of course you are correct SB, the Twins have been winning alot of baseball games for many years with a sub-standard pitching staff, really, starting rotation is more accurate. The Twins win baseball games because they execute, and don't beat themselves. Now, you can say that a manager has nothing to do with that, I would strongly disagree, but hey, that's me.

SBSoxFan
07-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Of course you are correct SB, the Twins have been winning alot of baseball games for many years with a sub-standard pitching staff, really, starting rotation is more accurate. The Twins win baseball games because they execute, and don't beat themselves. Now, you can say that a manager has nothing to do with that, I would strongly disagree, but hey, that's me.

I don't think they've been this thin at SP in awhile. But you are right --- if you don't beat yourself, there's a good chance the other team will beat themselves. The Twins have been doing it with a solid bullpen and solid hitting. I just wonder if the lack of depth at SP will catch up with the bullpen before the end of the year.

SOXandILLINI
07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I don't think they've been this thin at SP in awhile. But you are right --- if you don't beat yourself, there's a good chance the other team will beat themselves. The Twins have been doing it with a solid bullpen and solid hitting. I just wonder if the lack of depth at SP will catch up with the bullpen before the end of the year.

It may very well, they are chasing 2 pretty good teams. If recent history proves anything, if any team is gonna to survive, it will be the Twins, but, I still think they fall short this year., jmho.

lostfan
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
First of all, rdivaldi's post said "except for 2001". So, taking out 2001 he is exactly right, they are 53-53. They are 5-7 against the Twins so far this year. Whether you want to count 2001 is a separate issue. You chose to add it in which is irrelevant to the original post. Second of all, 2005 was not "literally the only year ... they had a winning record against the Twins ...." They did in 2000 also.
Ok why are we still talking about this? I was trying to let it die since it wasn't my argument to begin with. Let it go.

lostfan
07-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Be careful lost, a banning may be around the corner for you. Be prepared for all kinds of excuses from alot of people on this board, but the tide does seem to be turning at least a little.
It's too bad you're not being sarcastic. That's all I'll say.

I'm glad people have better sense than that though.

SOXandILLINI
07-10-2007, 05:42 PM
It's too bad you're not being sarcastic. That's all I'll say.

I'm glad people have better sense than that though.

Tru dat... :cool:

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 07:03 AM
I think that's what Ozzie would really like to say.

I wish Ozzie was as adept at handling a bullpen as Gardenhire.

Mohoney
07-13-2007, 07:07 AM

I remember we had early season leads in the H2H series in 2003, 2004, and 2006 and pissed them away.