PDA

View Full Version : StillMissOzzie's nephew

Fenway
07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
be a proud uncle :smile:

Legend has it that Bowden, the hard-throwing right-hander the Sox took with their fifth pick in the 2005 draft, was patching potholes in his familyís driveway as a Motherís Day present, just two days before a scheduled start for Waubonsie Valley High School in Illinois.
The labor and that dayís heat wiped him out for the game, dropping his normally low-to-mid 90s fastball - which had powered him to a perfect game in his previous outing - to the mid-to-high 80s. The showing may have caused other teams to shy away from Bowden, allowing him to fall to the 47th pick, where the Red Sox - who received the pick as compensation after losing Lowe in free agency to the Los Angeles Dodgers - claimed him

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=1009909

StillMissOzzie
07-06-2007, 04:19 PM
fenway,
Thanks for the link from the Boston paper. I've been following Mike's career progress up to the Sea Dogs, and they're right, it has been a jolt of reality at the AA level after pretty much cruising up until then. Personally, I think learning how to lose may be a good thing for his development. I think he's got the stuff and the temperment to persevere, though.

Thank the heavens for the Internet!

SMO

beckett21
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Tell your nephew that I drafted him in the WSI Dynasty baseball league in our minor league draft and that he better not let me down. :redneck

chaerulez
07-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Bowden went to my school and my friend actually grew up on the same block as him.