PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Sox interested in Michael Bourn

CPditka
07-06-2007, 12:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/White-Sox-may-pursue-promising-Phillie;_ylt=Aj_eUP1w7mNBP.CQ6CDZNxSFCLcF?urn=mlb, 38419

Would make a nice leadoff hitter. Wonder what it would take to get him. As a plus his nice name is the Bourn Supremacy.

One does have to wonder how many times we can trade with the Phillies?

07-06-2007, 12:36 PM
How good can he play CF?

Tragg
07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I don't know how the Baseball Americas and all of those ranked him, but he's basically a prospect, albeit a mature one. No power at all. Needs to improve a lot. Good speed, walks some. Don't know anything about his D.

Looks like a B, B+ prospect, judging solely from his stats.
Dye maybe?

lostfan
07-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I think this guy's gonna be pretty good, and we desperately need a good leadoff hitter. Maybe Contreras if the Sox feel like Floyd is the long-term answer in the rotation and they don't want him in the bullpen?

oeo
07-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Get Shane Victorino while you're at it, and then all we need is some power in the OF.

BTW, I know it's a pipe dream, I just love to watch that guy play.

Domeshot17
07-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Get Shane Victorino while you're at it, and then all we need is some power in the OF.

BTW, I know it's a pipe dream, I just love to watch that guy play.

Pick up 2 Philly OF not named Rowand, Blasphemy

JUribe1989
07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Dye for Bourn seems like a Phillies-type move. I don't know if they would be reluctant to trade with us once again seeing as this Freddy move hasn't worked out in their favor with Freddy being injured all year. Personally, I would love to have Michael Bourn. Ask any Phillie fan and they will tell you he's extremely fun to watch play in RF.

AJ Hellraiser
07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Dye for Bourn seems like a Phillies-type move. I don't know if they would be reluctant to trade with us once again seeing as this Freddy move hasn't worked out in their favor with Freddy being injured all year. Personally, I would love to have Michael Bourn. Ask any Phillie fan and they will tell you he's extremely fun to watch play in RF.

I hate to say this, but right now the Rowand--Thome swap is in their favor and it's not as though we've seen anything out of Floyd or Gio yet...

As KW said a while back.... every team is capable of doing a physical and getting their own medical reports before a trade is completed

HomeFish
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Is there a special red phone in Kenny's office that goes straight to the Philadelphia GM? Sometimes it seems like there is.

KRS1
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Based on the article, this is less of a "rumor", and more of a "guess" as to who may interest us.

JUribe1989
07-06-2007, 04:47 PM
I hate to say this, but right now the Rowand--Thome swap is in their favor and it's not as though we've seen anything out of Floyd or Gio yet...

As KW said a while back.... every team is capable of doing a physical and getting their own medical reports before a trade is completed

I'm aware the Rowand swap is in their favor. Believe me, I'm the first to admit here that Rowand is a great player who plays his ass off and truly deserves to be an All Star, but I think when you give up two young healthy pitchers for an injured veteran, it has a better chance of being in your favor. And I think the Phillies are upset with the second trade with the Sox.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm aware the Rowand swap is in their favor. Believe me, I'm the first to admit here that Rowand is a great player who plays his ass off and truly deserves to be an All Star, but I think when you give up two young healthy pitchers for an injured veteran, it has a better chance of being in your favor. And I think the Phillies are upset with the second trade with the Sox.

As far as i know, Thome has done exactly what we expected of him. A left-handed bat with power. He replaced an injured Frank Thomas and made our lineup a lot better in 2006.

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Why would the Sox want this guy as a centerpiece in any major trade? They should be targeting SP's with ace potential, slick fielding SS's who can at least sort of hit, and OF with power potential. Please, please, please do not deal a worthwhile SP for some weak hitting grinder.

oeo
07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Why would the Sox want this guy as a centerpiece in any major trade? They should be targeting SP's with ace potential, slick fielding SS's who can at least sort of hit, and OF with power potential. Please, please, please do not deal a worthwhile SP for some weak hitting grinder.

You are the only one that even mentioned a pitcher. The article didn't and no one here did.

Anyways, there are two pitchers that could be dealt: Buehrle and Contreras. They want top-of-the-line prospects for Buehrle, so the Phillies wouldn't be talking. Contreras, OTOH, I would give up for anything right now; a young CF'er who can lead off and has blazing speed...definitely.

And why is going after a leadoff hitter a bad thing? It's one of our biggest needs going into 2008 (actually, right now it's a need).

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 01:52 AM
You are the only one that even mentioned a pitcher. The article didn't and no one here did.

Anyways, there are two pitchers that could be dealt: Buehrle and Contreras. They want top-of-the-line prospects for Buehrle, so the Phillies wouldn't be talking. Contreras, OTOH, I would give up for anything right now; a young CF'er who can lead off and has blazing speed...definitely.

And why is going after a leadoff hitter a bad thing? It's one of our biggest needs going into 2008 (actually, right now it's a need).
Well, SP is really the only thing that we have that I could see the Phillies wanting. They need pen help but our pen isn't exactly lighting the world on fire right now, so Bourn would be too much for them to give up for one of our pen guys. It would be like we're selling low and they're buying high. Doesn't make sense. If they wanted a reliever for him they might be able to get Otsuka from Texas who would be a much better acquistion than anyone we have sans Jenks.

A leadoff hitter IMO isn't the no. 1 priority for us now and is not something we should be dealing our best pieces for. We need to find some power first and foremost and if we're going to be losing at least one of Buehrle/Garland, we need to try to find an ace somewhere. Leadoff hitters IMO are very important to a contending team but I don't see them as cornerstones of a franchise, unless of course you're talking about Ichiro or someone like Furcal who is extra important because he plays SS. I think we need to be looking for cornerstones and not complimentary players. We'll have our share of busts, but we need to get at least one guy who can evolve into a #3/#4 hitter. Usually in order to do that you have to stock up on players that have that kind of potential.

lostfan
07-07-2007, 03:09 AM
So... for the sake of argument (because I have no idea how his full-time numbers would project) let's say say with consistent playing time he's potentially a .320 avg/.360 obp/40+ SB type of guy who doesn't hit homers. Why would you NOT want him? Guys like that don't come around often and certainly don't come cheaply in FA. And they are just as critical to winning, if not more, than a #3/#4 hitter. You need both.

oeo
07-07-2007, 03:45 AM
So... for the sake of argument (because I have no idea how his full-time numbers would project) let's say say with consistent playing time he's potentially a .320 avg/.360 obp/40+ SB type of guy who doesn't hit homers. Why would you NOT want him? Guys like that don't come around often and certainly don't come cheaply in FA. And they are just as critical to winning, if not more, than a #3/#4 hitter. You need both.

Well, I don't think he will hit .320...he's never hit that high at any point in his career. I don't think .275-.280 is out of the question, though, and he has great plate discipline so he gets on base, and can wreak havoc on the base paths. I'd like to think of him as a younger, faster, better defender version of Pods.

lostfan
07-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Well, I don't think he will hit .320...he's never hit that high at any point in his career. I don't think .275-.280 is out of the question, though, and he has great plate discipline so he gets on base, and can wreak havoc on the base paths. I'd like to think of him as a younger, faster, better defender version of Pods.
Yeah, I was pulling those numbers out of my ass actually. But I'd love a leadoff hitter that can hit upwards of .300 and more importantly actually has SPEED. He'd be a perfect replacement for Pods, and we've all seen how important it is to have a Pods on our team. If not a couple Podses if at all possible.

UserNameBlank
07-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I would want him. I just wouldn't want my GM to give up his best pieces for a player with that type of ceiling when he could be targeting someone with potential 30+ HR power and/or a young pitcher with top of the rotation potential. Leadoff hitters are very important, but I'd never argue that say a Juan Pierre type player is more valuable to the long term success of a franchise than a Matt Holliday type player.

Now I don't want it to sound like I expect our GM to go out and find another future Matt Holliday, but if during a rebuilding effort there is a choice between a prospect with a Holliday type ceiling and a prospect with a Juan Pierre type ceiling, I'd be pissed if he chose to go with the leadoff guy. I still would like to see him target a possible future leadoff hitter or two, but I'd like to see him try to do that only after he's picked up some guys who have at shot at being cornerstones, either offensively with big power or at the front of the rotation.

Jjav829
07-07-2007, 10:11 AM
I doubt the Phillies trade Bourn without first signing Rowand. And since it seems unlikely that they sign Rowand before the end of the season, Bourn probably isn't going anywhere.

balke
07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm not terribly impressed with the guy. The doubles power isn't there. It looks like he could steal 50+ though which would be nice. If he could get 30 extra base hits with those steals, he'd be a great pick-up at the plate. I'm not sure how good his defense is.

I don't think he projects as a .320+ hitter as someone mentioned before. I think this is a guy who can draw walks, and hopefully hit .270 though which wouldn't be too bad.

I'd like the Sox to get serious again and stop moping. The 2005 team had poise, a plan of attack, and they executed. Right now the whole team just looks lost, struggling to find something but they don't even know what it is. Get this team a leadoff hitter who is able and determined to get on second base, get a 2-hole hitter who is determined to get that runner over, and guys in the 3-4 spot who can get them home on sac fly's. That's all I want to see. It starts at the top of the Order when your team is built around pitching like this.