PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday TWIB

Fenway
07-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Thirty years ago this month, a new television show reintroduced America to an old friend. "Hello there, everybody," he said. Mel Allen's first three words, delivered in a folksy, Southern-tinged timbre, stirred the memories of millions.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-06-29-allen-twib-anniversary_N.htm

TnVOZkXDmZc

wilburaga
07-06-2007, 10:49 AM
How 'bout that?

W

Brian26
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Used to love watching that show in the early 80s. Even though the highlights were always about 10 days old, it was a chance to see other teams in the days before ESPN and the internet.

Loved the video highlight package at the end of the show too.

TheCommander
07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I absolutely loved TWIB and Mel Allen! The show they are marketing under that name now pales in comparison,though 1)I admit to being quite nostalgic and 2)as already touched upon,it was very different back then not having as easy access to information and highlights as we do now.

MeteorsSox4367
07-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Man, I loved that show when I was a kid. Faithfully, every Saturday at 12:30 pm, I'd put on Channel 9 just to listen to Mel Allen's intro and watch all the highlights of the teams outside Chicago. I remember once when the Sox were playing well, Allen referred to them as the "white-hot White Sox" and I started cheering. I especially liked the top plays of the week they would show toward the end of the program, IIRC. Great stuff.

Fenway: Thanks for the theme music. Can you find the music they played when they showed the great plays?

Fenway
07-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Man, I loved that show when I was a kid. Faithfully, every Saturday at 12:30 pm, I'd put on Channel 9 just to listen to Mel Allen's intro and watch all the highlights of the teams outside Chicago. I remember once when the Sox were playing well, Allen referred to them as the "white-hot White Sox" and I started cheering. I especially liked the top plays of the week they would show toward the end of the program, IIRC. Great stuff.

Fenway: Thanks for the theme music. Can you find the music they played when they showed the great plays?

I have some old TWIB tapes from 20 years ago, I'll see if I can port the music

Years ago at Fenway they would run TWIB on the scoreboard before the game and people loved it.

Mel Allen was simply a great announcer.

tacosalbarojas
07-07-2007, 11:53 PM
ESPN Classic should start running these classic reruns in the early mornings like they were doing 5-6 years ago.

Dan the Man
07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
ESPN Classic should start running these classic reruns in the early mornings like they were doing 5-6 years ago.
Nah, it couldn't get better ratings than Classic Pool, Classic Bowling, or Poker. :D:

MeteorsSox4367
07-07-2007, 11:58 PM

I like your idea, but then there wouldn't be room for the 2001 Texas Hold'em Finals.

russ99
07-10-2007, 07:54 AM
That cartoony Mel Allen at the end of the show is downright insulting to fans of the original TWIB.

They should hire a new old-style announcer for that show (maybe Vin?), cause the guest announcers are all pretty bad and the quality is suffering because of it.

Fenway
07-10-2007, 08:19 AM
That cartoony Mel Allen at the end of the show is downright insulting to fans of the original TWIB.

They should hire a new old-style announcer for that show (maybe Vin?), cause the guest announcers are all pretty bad and the quality is suffering because of it.

That cartoon Mel bothers me as well.

I really have gotten into watching Scully doing Dodgers home games. All Vin for 9 innings, nobody else and he is still sharp on details, you would never guess thet he is 78.

hsnterprize
07-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Here is a link to a game show website that features the music from TWIB. The song is called "Jet Set", and it was the theme to the 70's version of the Geoff Edwards' hosted show "Jackpot". Click this link (http://www.gameshow-galaxy.net/jackpot.htm) to a fan page about "Jackpot", and you'll see a link on the page where you can play the music.

Enjoy reliving one of the best pre-ESPN baseball highlight shows of all time. And another thing that made this show so great was there was no regional/team bias. You could count on Mel Allen giving every team he talked about the same enthusiasm and appreciation whether if they were in first place or last place in the standings. True...some teams and players were profiled more than others, but regardless of who he was talking about, he would give as much love to say, the last-place Pirates as he would the first-place Dodgers. Mel was a constant professional, and this show was a HIT!!!

doublem23
07-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Used to love watching that show in the early 80s. Even though the highlights were always about 10 days old, it was a chance to see other teams in the days before ESPN and the internet.

Loved the video highlight package at the end of the show too.

Oh yeah. We didn't get cable until I was in high school, so TWIB was really the only way I could watch the game except for the Cubs and Sox games that were on WGN.

WhiteSox5187
07-12-2007, 01:18 AM
For a little while they were airing them at 1:00 on weekdays. I saw three of 'em, one they were going over the Sox-Royals clips from that unforgetable July Series in 1977 and I think, I'm not positive, but I think Mel Allen said something like "Leaving the Royals to stumble out of Chicago wondering what is happening to their season." The other one I saw was when Bob Lemon was fired as Sox manager and Larry Doby brought in. The other one was from 1980 (I think) showing a clip of White Sox rookie Harold Baines hitting a homerun off someone from the Brewers.

Fenway
07-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Here is a link to a game show website that features the music from TWIB. The song is called "Jet Set", and it was the theme to the 70's version of the Geoff Edwards' hosted show "Jackpot". Click this link (http://www.gameshow-galaxy.net/jackpot.htm) to a fan page about "Jackpot", and you'll see a link on the page where you can play the music.

I remember Jackpot well as I worked crew on it. After college I worked 3 summers as a "vacation relief" cameraman for NBC to learn how to be a better baseball cameraman from guru Harry Coyle. But 3 days a week I was assigned to do game shows like Jackpot, Whats My Line and To Tell The Truth.

Anyhow Jackpot was cancelled not because of low ratings but NBC needed studio 8-H for a quickly thrown together show that would air starting in the fall. NBC wanted to move Jackpot to Burbank but the producer refused because he had to stay in Manhattan to watch over his cash call "The $10,000 Pyramid" which taped at the Ed Sullivan Theater. NBC was forced to start this new show after Johnny Carson demanded that NBC stop airing Tonight Show reruns on weekends or he would leave the network.

The studio announcer at 8-H then told WNBC he would retire when this new show closed which he figured would be in 13 weeks. He had his 30 years in and just wanted to retire,

Well it is now 2007 and he is still assigned to Studio 8-H. The show? "LIVE FROM NEW YORK!..." His name is Don Pardo

MeteorsSox4367
07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Fenway: Forgive the ignorance, but is Don Pardo still living? On the intro for Saturday Night Live, is that still him? I thought I remembered reading something that Darrell Hammond's been filling in for Pardo since his imitation of Pardo is accurate.

Also, wasn't Pardo the announcer for the original 'Jeopardy' with Art Fleming?

Fenway
07-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Fenway: Forgive the ignorance, but is Don Pardo still living? On the intro for Saturday Night Live, is that still him? I thought I remembered reading something that Darrell Hammond's been filling in for Pardo since his imitation of Pardo is accurate.

Also, wasn't Pardo the announcer for the original 'Jeopardy' with Art Fleming?

He is 89 now and works SNL when his health allows. In NYC old announcers just never seem to die. The Yankees Bob Sheppard is still going at the age of 96 :o:

Pardo worked Jeopardy, the first Price is Right and just about everything else. He became the senior staff announcer after Johnny Olson moved to LA for the "new' Price is Right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Pardo