PDA

View Full Version : Neifi Perez suspended 25 games, no, make that 80 games!

Oblong
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
For violating the banned substances-stimulants policy.

Detroit has called up OF Ryan Raburn to take his spot.

Detroit's roster just got a lot better.

jdm2662
07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
For violating the banned substances-stimulants policy.

Detroit has called up OF Ryan Raburn to take his spot.

Detroit's roster just got a lot better.

It's a blessing in disguise I'm sure for Tigers fans.

MagicNumber22
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
If Neifi is taking steroids, how deep does this issue really go? Next they'll be saying that Pablo is on the juice.

He must really be desperate.

rdwj
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
If Neifi is taking steroids, how deep does this issue really go? Next they'll be saying that Pablo is on the juice.

He must really be desperate.

GOTTA be stimulants. If not, he should be pissed at his roid dealer

AuroraSoxFan
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
definitely one of the last guys I'd suspect to be on anything. Backup utility IF guys roiding?? I hope it was some OTC stuff that is banned by MLB and maybe he didn't realize it. If not I guess the issue runs a lot deeper than I realized.

Oblong
07-06-2007, 11:54 AM
It's not steroids or PED, it's stimulants, like speed. PEDs carry a 50 game suspension. Stimulants carry a 25 game suspension after the second positive test.

Edited to provide link to story:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070706/UPDATE/707060435

comerica
07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Imagine how slow Neifi's bat speed must be without drugs.

Chicken Dinner
07-06-2007, 12:17 PM
That's career ending.

thomas35forever
07-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Another cheater in the Tigers organization. WHEN WILL IT STOP?!

downstairs
07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, the '90s-2000's Cubs are starting to look like the A's of the '80s.

Gavin
07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Another cheater in the Tigers organization. WHEN WILL IT STOP?!

Please.

Oblong
07-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Curtis Granderson's publicist is a member of a site I help moderate. He used to work with olympic athletes and stressed that when athletes fail these types of test it can very well be an innocent mistake. Something like Bayer (the pain relief drug) has things that'll trigger a positive test. Earlier this season Lindsey Hunter of teh Pistons was suspended 10 games because he took a diet pill that his wife was using.

Athletes under these conditions need to clear EVERYTHING they put into their body with their trainers. Any type of pain reliever, cough medicine, allergy pills. They shouldn't walk to the local Walgreens and buy something off the shelf because they have a touch of stomach bug or their throat is bothering them.

But this is Neifi's second positive test so who knows what he was doing. Maybe he'll go Sammy Sosa and pretend it's an English/Spanish thing.

beckett21
07-06-2007, 08:08 PM
definitely one of the last guys I'd suspect to be on anything. Backup utility IF guys roiding?? I hope it was some OTC stuff that is banned by MLB and maybe he didn't realize it. If not I guess the issue runs a lot deeper than I realized.

I could definitely see the fringe guys doing it more commonly than the superstars. After all, it may mean the difference between a Major League paycheck or riding on buses and living on meal money as a career minor leaguer. A good example is that guy who got busted with Arizona and started naming names last year who's name escapes me at the moment.

Sox
07-06-2007, 08:38 PM
It's too bad that they can't detect the stuff that Barry Bonds has been taking. Especially if it was that easy to bust Nefi.

gobears1987
07-06-2007, 09:03 PM

He must really be desperate.Maybe Willie Harris used steroids whenever he went to Kauffman Stadium.

Oblong
07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
umm.... it's not steroids. Again. Steroids would carry a 50 game suspension. This is a stimulant. They are different things.

beckett21
07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
umm.... it's not steroids. Again. Steroids would carry a 50 game suspension. This is a stimulant. They are different things.

Oops. Thanks for the clarification. I missed it the first time.

BTW the guy I was thinking of earlier was Jason Grimsley. Different scenario of course.

MDF3530
07-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I would ban him just for being bad :cool: .

Of course using that logic, I'd have to ban the entire Sox bullpen.

southside rocks
07-07-2007, 02:28 PM

I would think that he was continuing to use greenies, that's the most likely scenario.

And from what I have read, amphetamines are detectable for 1-5 days after use, in a urine test. The test for HGH is a blood test, and random drug testing by blood draw has not been approved by the MLBPA, which still opposes blood tests.

Perez is an idiot to have taken that kind of risk, IMO.

Fenway
07-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski suggested that Perez knew the rules and that it was up to him to follow them. Leyland said he wouldn't comment.

Perez, however, did.

He told a radio station in his native Dominican Republic that he wanted to let his fans know he wasn't stupid, and that he knew what was good and bad. I should point out that the suspension meant he had tested positive before.
Other than that, Perez told the station he had been advised by his lawyer to keep his mouth shut -- though he did offer this: "... there are things that are going to be known going forward."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070707/SPORTS02/707070378/1050

WashingtonTX
07-07-2007, 02:50 PM
But this is Neifi's second positive test so who knows what he was doing. Maybe he'll go Sammy Sosa and pretend it's an English/Spanish thing.

That or he could say that he thought those were Flinstone vitamins.

TDog
07-07-2007, 03:17 PM
It seems inconsistent that a player suspended for fighting can't be replaced on the 25-man roster while a player suspended for violating the drug policy is placed on a list of ineligible players.

eriqjaffe
08-03-2007, 03:42 PM
He failed another drug test, so now he's suspended for 80 games. See you next year, Neifi! Maybe...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/08/03/bc.bba.tigers.perezsusp.ap/index.html

thomas35forever
08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Unbelievable. He might have just kissed his career goodbye.

Cuck_The_Fubs
08-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Nonsense! The sox could use a genuine IF. (Half teal)

JermaineDye05
08-03-2007, 04:21 PM
It'll be interesting how the Trib handles this, if it were Mags or Timo who failed the drug test we'd be sure to see an article

'FORMER WHITE SOX PLAYER SUSPENDED'.

HawkDJ
08-03-2007, 05:37 PM

I think the fact that he was hitting .172 was good enough.

DumpJerry
08-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Made the thread title more accurate.....

bnlfanmatt
08-03-2007, 11:09 PM
It'll be interesting how the Trib handles this, if it were Mags or Timo who failed the drug test we'd be sure to see an article

'FORMER WHITE SOX PLAYER SUSPENDED'.

Here's your answer:

Perez won a Gold Glove at shortstop in 2000 with the Colorado Rockies and also has played for Kansas City, San Francisco and Chicago.Detroit's Perez suspended for 80 games (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-070803perez,1,7384634.story?ctrack=1&cset=true)

slavko
08-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Perez won a Gold Glove at shortstop in 2000 with the Colorado Rockies and also has played for Kansas City, San Francisco and Chicago.

The Trib ran the AP story purporting to contain the above. I'd be interested in seeing the same AP story from another paper.

JB98
08-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Perez won a Gold Glove at shortstop in 2000 with the Colorado Rockies and also has played for Kansas City, San Francisco and Chicago.

The Trib ran the AP story purporting to contain the above. I'd be interested in seeing the same AP story from another paper.

The AP story actually just indicates Chicago. There's no Trib funny business this time.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I sure hope he doesn't get MLB service time during a suspension so that his pension doesn't go up. Three positive tests...that should be a career ending suspension, or at least a full year. I think if he gets a 4th, which is highly unlikely that any team would sign him, Selig will throw the book at him.

At least he doesn't get paid, these suspensions have already cost him $1.8 million. If I were the Tigers, I would give that money to an anti-drug foundation.

slavko
08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
My print Trib ran the AP story, but led with the line "Detroit Tigers infielder and former Cub...."

The "Perez won a Gold Glove at shortstop in 2000 with the Colorado Rockies and also has played for Kansas City, San Francisco and Chicago." was not in the printed story.