PDA

View Full Version : 7th inning stretch

foulkesfan11
04-03-2002, 11:42 AM
I thought that God Bless America was only going to be played in the first home game for every team this season. Now I'm hearing that it's every single game until further notice.

Take me out to the ballgame should be brought back. What happened 9-11 was a tragedy, but we MUST MOVE ON!!! Geesh!

CubKilla
04-03-2002, 11:48 AM
MUST MOVE ON..... but NEVER forget. I think that is why baseball is still using "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning Stretch. As long as the REAL heroes are battling terrorism overseas and domestically, a little reflection during a baseball game for 1 minute can't hurt. Plus, who wants to hear about the celebrity sing-along at Wrigley during every newscast?

Konerkofan
04-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Take me out to the ballgame is what should be played at the 7th inning stretch. I agree that maybe for the 1st game opener in each stadium that god bless america should be played. But we need to move on... of course we will never forget, (how can we forget) but this is a baseball game.
They're supposed to be fun.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Whatever happened to return to normalcy?

I feel God Bless America should be played maybe in the 3rd or 4th when the groundskeepers would be tending to the field. But take me out to the ballgame definitley should come back.

Iwritecode
04-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Whatever happened to return to normalcy?

With all the talk of grammar on these boards the past few days, I have to wonder why people (even our own president) keep saying "normalcy"? The word is normality.

duke of dorwood
04-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Well, the North Side team is NOT doing it. Back to the guest singers.

RedPinStripes
04-03-2002, 03:07 PM
It's getting rediculous. Play it in the 4th inning or something. Why have a moment of silence every game right when it starts to get interesting. 911 was a tragedy, but we must move on.

duke of dorwood
04-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Yes we should move on.

dougs78
04-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by: Iwritecode
With all the talk of grammar on these boards the past few days, I have to wonder why people (even our own president) keep saying "normalcy"? The word is normality.

Ummm...actually, according the Merriam-Webster, normalcy is still a word and is being used appropriately.

Normalcy: (noun) "The State or fact of being normal"

Just to clear that up.

ma-gaga
04-03-2002, 03:33 PM
I thought I heard that they were going to do God Bless America for the first week or two, then switch back to Take me out...

I'm looking forward to that.

Iwritecode
04-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by dougs78

Ummm...actually, according the Merriam-Webster, normalcy is still a word and is being used appropriately.

Normalcy: (noun) "The State or fact of being normal"

Just to clear that up.

Yea, "ain't" is in the dictionary too. Doesn't mean it's right...

HawkDJ
04-03-2002, 05:15 PM
I belive "God Bless America" is only being played in the opening series. Anyone want to confirm this?

34 Inch Stick
04-03-2002, 06:40 PM
The dictionary acknowledges that "ain't" is slang but still defines its use. "Normalcy" is not slang and neither is "normality". Even if the word is improper the phrase is "return to normalcy" (I think coined by FDR, but don't quote me on it).

I agree that we don't forget. The proper time to remember would be at the beginning of the game by replacing the national anthem for the time being. You could also keep the national anthem followed by an aknowleged moment of silence.

At this point it is overkill. If you are not thinking about the state of the country when the national anthem is played at the beginning you are not thinking about it in the 7th.

FarWestChicago
04-03-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
(I think coined by FDR, but don't quote me on it).Warren G. Harding.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
04-03-2002, 07:19 PM
I thought God Bless America was a nice touch for the first series, but I agree that it's time to get back to the norm.