PDA

View Full Version : Police Concert Review - Hijacked by The Flubsessed

Martinigirl
07-06-2007, 01:07 AM
I just got back from the show and I have to say I thought it was blah. There was very little energy from the band and when they did get the crowd into it, they would immediately go into a song too slow to sustain the energy. I didn't like the song selection at all. And for the price of the tickets, they really could have spent more on the production of the show. But then again, that might mean they were trying to put on a good show for their fans and not milk this for as much cash as humanly possible.

The song "Roxanne" was forever ruined for me by the moron who sat down the row from me. As Sting sang "Roxanna", this ass started screaming, at the top of his lungs, "Ron Santo". Shoot me. Another "highlight" was when Sting mentioned that last time they played here was in 83 at Comiskey. People started to boo, Sting looked so confused. People are just morons. And my disdain for Stewart Copeland was validated when he came out for the encores wearing a Cub Jersey.

And Wrigley really is just a pit. I knew from my 2 past visits, but my god, it really is a joke. And I one of my friends, who really doesn't care about baseball in the least, just looked around and said, "I don't get it, this place is a joke. The Cell is so much nicer."

Domeshot17
07-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Odds are 3/4 the crowd left thinking a baseball game occurred, and atleast 40% thought Sammy was still in Right Field, no teal needed.

The Critic
07-06-2007, 03:10 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I have to say I'm not surprised by anything in your review. I've been reading the same type of reviews from earlier shows.
The guys still don't like each other very much, they really are doing it just for the money, which is fine if the shows are good. From all indications, the shows have not been very good.
All in all, I'm kind of relieved that I changed my mind when I had the chance to buy tickets.
And someone singing "Ron Santo" instead of Roxanne? Ugh.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-06-2007, 05:43 AM
I talked to a friend of mine this morning as I was driving in; he was there last night, sitting along the 1B side. He said the songs were OK, there were blah moments throughout, and the place was filthier and reeked more of urine/garbage than it does at Cub games. He did say the only person whoe looked happy to be there was Sting.

He said there were groups of people stumbling around everywhere in the concourse, and 1/2 of them had Cub gear on....and they were obnoxious (his words, not mine).

DrCrawdad
07-06-2007, 07:45 AM
...Another "highlight" was when Sting mentioned that last time they played here was in 83 at Comiskey. People started to boo, Sting looked so confused. People are just morons. And my disdain for Stewart Copeland was validated when he came out for the encores wearing a Cub Jersey...

Remember it's Sox fans who have this "inferiority complex" and carry a 'giant chip on their shoulders'...

SoxxoS
07-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I have to say I'm not surprised by anything in your review. I've been reading the same type of reviews from earlier shows.
The guys still don't like each other very much, they really are doing it just for the money, which is fine if the shows are good. From all indications, the shows have not been very good.
All in all, I'm kind of relieved that I changed my mind when I had the chance to buy tickets.
And someone singing "Ron Santo" instead of Roxanne? Ugh.

This is known as the New York Knicks syndrome - Or just b/c you spend so much money on players you think they can mesh no matter what. You can't fake chemistry b/c of money.

Fenway
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Reading this wants to make me sell my tickets when they come to Fenway later this month :(:

DrCrawdad
07-06-2007, 09:24 AM
http://media1.suntimes.com/multimedia/derogatis.jpg_20070517_13_59_53_567.imageContent

"We are the Police and we're happy to be back in Chicago," Sting told 40,000 fans at Wrigley Field on Thursday, the first of a two-night stand on the trio's much-anticipated and heavily hyped reunion tour.

Moments later, the crowd was booing the peroxide blond threesome, but that wasn't a comment on the music. The bassist and vocalist of the New Wave hitmakers had simply noted that the last time he, guitarist Andy Summers and drummer Stewart Copeland played here was in 1983 -- at Comiskey Park -- and no mention of that venue will ever play in the Friendly Confines. - Sun-Times, review by Jim DeRogatis (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/derogatis/458030,CST-FTR-police06.article)

Did Sting cheer the Sox? Did Sting proclaim his love for the Sox. No, just a mere passing reference to the fact that the Police played at Comiskey 24 years ago and that incites boos from Cubbie fans.

No doubt if the situation were reversed; the Police playing at The Cell and mentioning Wrigley and then if it were Sox fans booing the passing reference we'd hear about the "inferiority complex" ridden Sox fans who couldn't let a mere mention of the other field pass w/o booing.

BeviBall!
07-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Seems like a great way to spend $250!

BoysMom3
07-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Oh wow. Thanks for your review, Martini, I'm just sorry it was such a letdown. What ridiculous behavior.

LongLiveFisk
07-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Anyone who boos Comiskey Park deserves one of these: :club:

And in retrospect I'm glad I didn't go. This isn't the first "blah" report I've gotten on that overpriced show.

Hendu
07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Ron Santo! You don't have to wear that dress tonight. Walk the streets for money, you don't care if it's wrong or if it's right.

Maybe the person was trying to insult Santo? :dunno:

ChiSox Fan 68
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
One of my friends was telling me that he was having a hard time getting rid of some extra Police concert tickets he had - I guess there are quite a few on Craig's List, E-bay, etc. He got face value for them but other people he knows unloaded theirs for less than face value. I'm really surprised - I just figured this would be a really hot ticket. But with the bad reviews coming out of previous shows, I guess it makes sense that the tickets aren't selling so well.

Martinigirl
07-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Ron Santo! You don't have to wear that dress tonight. Walk the streets for money, you don't care if it's wrong or if it's right.

Oh no, he was just mindnumbingly stupid. I am sure he had no idea the song was about a hooker. He was also the same ass that would randomly yell "Let's go Cubbies!"

I am just happy we got the cheap seats, for $80. If I would have spent over $100, I would have cried.

The other thing that really stood out is the production values. When you see a band like U2, the lighting is innovative, the set lists are tight, and they know the songs they are playing. None of that was true about this show. The set design was generic, they reused all of the graphics from the 80s (god forbid they hire a new designer or anything). They didn't want to invest one penny more on the show. And they clearly have no desire to practice before the shows because they can't stand eachother.

And get this, the t-shirts were $45.

thepaulbowski
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
And get this, the t-shirts were $45.

Who doesn't need a $45 t-shirt? You'd be better off ironing your ticket stub onto a shirt so you could "prove" you went to see the police. :cool:

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-06-2007, 11:52 AM

Santo....
You don't have to wear headdress tonight
Milk 'GN for money
You don' care if you're wrong or if you're right

kobo
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I was at the show last night and I had a blast. I thought the songs sounded great, the band was very tight and I didn't notice any mistakes or anything. I agree that the band didn't ahve a lot of energy, but the performance of the songs and how they sounded was top notch. Song selection was fine, mostly a greatest hits type of set but that's to be expected. I don't understand the complaints about the light show. I wasn't there to see a light show, I was there to see The Police, a band I never had a chance to see when I was younger and who happen to be one of my favorite groups of all time. I knew going into the show that the money I had spent on the ticket was going to the band and not into production.

I know that the first few shows were pretty bad, but they seemed to have hit their stride recently. I saw them 2 weeks ago at Bonnaroo and I enjoyed last night's show a lot more. The set was about the same, but the crowd and the energy from the crowd was a lot better last night.

I was disappointed that people booed when Sting mentioned Comiskey Park. Get a grip people, that was completely uncalled for.

kittle42
07-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I am planning on going out in the neighborhood during and after the concert tonight. Was the crowd a bit older than the usual Wrigleyville crowd?

jenn2080
07-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I am planning on going out in the neighborhood during and after the concert tonight. Was the crowd a bit older than the usual Wrigleyville crowd?

According to the Red Eye today it was a bit older.

Boondock Saint
07-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Semi off-topic, but I heard that Sting got booed for calling it "Co-min-skey" park... :dunno:

kobo
07-06-2007, 12:36 PM
The crowd was def. older.

kittle42
07-06-2007, 12:41 PM
According to the Red Eye today it was a bit older.

Excellent news. It'll be nice not to have to switch neighborhoods to avoid the fratties and trixies.

hi im skot
07-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I just got back from the show and I have to say I thought it was blah. There was very little energy from the band and when they did get the crowd into it, they would immediately go into a song too slow to sustain the energy. I didn't like the song selection at all. And for the price of the tickets, they really could have spent more on the production of the show. But then again, that might mean they were trying to put on a good show for their fans and not milk this for as much cash as humanly possible.

The song "Roxanne" was forever ruined for me by the moron who sat down the row from me. As Sting sang "Roxanna", this ass started screaming, at the top of his lungs, "Ron Santo". Shoot me. Another "highlight" was when Sting mentioned that last time they played here was in 83 at Comiskey. People started to boo, Sting looked so confused. People are just morons. And my disdain for Stewart Copeland was validated when he came out for the encores wearing a Cub Jersey.

And Wrigley really is just a pit. I knew from my 2 past visits, but my god, it really is a joke. And I one of my friends, who really doesn't care about baseball in the least, just looked around and said, "I don't get it, this place is a joke. The Cell is so much nicer."

I agree with you on all points.

As a huge music geek, I'm really glad I went, but I can safely say it wasn't nearly the greatest show I've ever attended.

The Comiskey Park thing was just weird...poor Sting, having absolutely no idea why people were booing. On a related note, a gentleman in front of me was wearing a Sox cap. As another guy in the row got up to hit the concession stand, he walked by the Sox fan and said "Boy, they let you in here with that on?!?" His wife was embarrassed.

BainesHOF
07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
It was a good show. Stewart, Andy and Sting had a good vibe between them. They sounded very good, though a couple arrangements were lacking. Those looking for the Police to put on a concert like U2 miss the strengths of the Police, namely the music. Their music doesn't lend itself to lifting off in concert like U2. The Police are more about the reggae groove and the playing. It was a treat to watch Stewart's unique drumming in person. Andy had a couple great guitar moments when he was given a chance to show off his playing, and Sting was in strong, fine voice outside of understandably no longer being able to hit the high notes.

It's definitely a buyer's market for tickets. I bought a pair of 20th row field tickets at 7:30 p.m. for $300, which was $250 below face. You could have found a pair of field seats farther back on the side for $100 total and baseball seats could be had for less than that. If you just want to get inside, if you wait out the scalpers you can probably get in for $20.

The moron factor was huge. It was clear LOTS of people in the expensive seats were simply there for the event and not for the music. In our row alone, about 10 people had left in the middle of the show never to return.

People booing when a performer in Chicago references the Sox or Cubs is nothing new. I've seen it happen quite a few times. It never fails to confuse the performer.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
I liked the concert fine. Yes, it was a greatest hits set; don't people usually complain when reunited bands don't play their hits? As for the occasional tempo and other changes, it did not seem to me to be a matter of under-rehearsal. They're Sting's songs, and I get the impression that he thinks he can do what he likes with them after all these years. He sounded great, by the way.

As for the crowd: a parallel with Cubs games. Lots of people who were really into the music, not all of them older: the guy in front of me never saw the band because he was too young, but knew every song. Then there were those who apparently paid for tickets just to get drunk with a big crowd at Wrigley. I was on an aisle, and I have never seen a concert -- not a festival, but an assigned-seating concert -- where this many people spent the entire time going up and down for beer and bathrooms.

Just for the record, there were lots of cheers, along with the boos, when Sting mentioned the 1983 concert. Of our group, four had been there.

Wrigley is still a dump, but I won't rehash my views on that. The ladies' room has an attendant now. :rolling:

jenn2080
07-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I liked the concert fine. Yes, it was a greatest hits set; don't people usually complain when reunited bands don't play their hits? As for the occasional tempo and other changes, it did not seem to me to be a matter of under-rehearsal. They're Sting's songs, and I get the impression that he thinks he can do what he likes with them after all these years. He sounded great, by the way.

As for the crowd: a parallel with Cubs games. Lots of people who were really into the music, not all of them older: the guy in front of me never saw the band because he was too young, but knew every song. Then there were those who apparently paid for tickets just to get drunk with a big crowd at Wrigley. I was on an aisle, and I have never seen a concert -- not a festival, but an assigned-seating concert -- where this many people spent the entire time going up and down for beer and bathrooms.

Just for the record, there were lots of cheers, along with the boos, when Sting mentioned the 1983 concert. Of our group, four had been there.

Wrigley is still a dump, but I won't rehash my views on that. The ladies' room has an attendant now. :rolling:

Been that way for at least 2 yrs now.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Judging by the looks of the groupies featured in a giant picture on the front page of the Tribune, Sting isn't nearly so "hot" anymore.

The Eighties are over. Sting is happy to take the money of those trying to re-live it.

And speaking of living in the past, isn't it almost time for yet another Woodstock festival?

:wink:

tick53
07-07-2007, 09:59 AM
A friend of mine caught them on the early part of the tour. He remarked that the band seemed lackluster as well. The only good part was that he didn't see them at Wrigley.

tick53
07-07-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree with you on all points.

As a huge music geek, I'm really glad I went, but I can safely say it wasn't nearly the greatest show I've ever attended.

The Comiskey Park thing was just weird...poor Sting, having absolutely no idea why people were booing. On a related note, a gentleman in front of me was wearing a Sox cap. As another guy in the row got up to hit the concession stand, he walked by the Sox fan and said "Boy, they let you in here with that on?!?" His wife was embarrassed.

I can't stand people who can't keep their mouths shut. It was a concert, not a Cubs game. I hope one day his favorite band plays at The Cell. Of course this weasel bastard probably won't wear his Cub cap there. I wouldn't go to Wrigley Field for a concert now if they promised that Jim Morrison, John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix were coming back from the dead to do a show.

MeteorsSox4367
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Judging by the looks of the groupies featured in a giant picture on the front page of the Tribune, Sting isn't nearly so "hot" anymore.

If you look just to the right of center of the picture that PaleHoseGeorge is referencing, you can see someone who either is or bears a strong resemblance to Cubs VP John McDonough.

soxwon
07-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Been that way for at least 2 yrs now.

one of those octogenarians andy frains that wont let you sit behind the dugout in the bottom of the ninth losing 12-0 types!!!

santo=dorf
07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
one of those octogenarians andy frains that wont let you sit behind the dugout in the bottom of the ninth losing 12-0 types!!!
Let's hear this one.

OK Soxwon, why didn't you stay in your designated seat at last night's game?

SoxandtheCityTee
07-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Yep, I live in the past. I listen to and attend not only concerts of music written in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s -- I even go to hear music played that was written in previous centuries!

I wonder why I never see anyone outside the Opera House or Orchestra Hall saying "The 17th century is over. Deal with it."

Rock is as valid a music form as Bach. I do see newer bands, but I'm also going to see Cheap Trick tonight. Am I supposed to stay in the house because I'm middle-aged? Bull****.

Oh, and Sting IS hot. All in the eye of the beholder.

Tragg
07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
They played earlier in the week at New Orleans Arena; I didn't go but they got positive reveiws down here.

kittle42
07-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Let's hear this one.

Let's just go dig up one of the old threads on this topic instead of rehashing it.

eriqjaffe
07-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I just got back from the show and I have to say I thought it was blah. There was very little energy from the band and when they did get the crowd into it, they would immediately go into a song too slow to sustain the energy.Remarkably, it was only the second most lifeless performance in a baseball stadium in Chicago last night.

Demafrost
07-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Martinigirl, where were you sitting at the show? I could have sworn I heard the exact same thing (some drunk Cub fan yelling "Ron Santo" during Roxanne).

BainesHOF
07-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I think it sounded like "Ron Santo" to a lot of people, including me.

soxfan80
07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
If you look just to the right of center of the picture that PaleHoseGeorge is referencing, you can see someone who either is or bears a strong resemblance to Cubs VP John McDonough.it's probably him.

soxwon
07-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Let's hear this one.

im refering to cub games where, you sit in the UD the whole game.
then try to sit behind the dugout for a better view in the 8th or 9th.

I wasnt at last nights game, im going sunday.
Also i like to move around alot during the games.

Red Barchetta
07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
My advise....If you want to see three guys perform and "get it right", go see Rush in Tinley Park in September. That show will make you forget about the Police singing old songs for new money. :cool:

Martinigirl
07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Martinigirl, where were you sitting at the show? I could have sworn I heard the exact same thing (some drunk Cub fan yelling "Ron Santo" during Roxanne).

We were in the nosebled seats. 500 level, between home and 1st, top row.