PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having fun?

balaspa
07-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Just curious, is anyone finding themselves still enjoying watching a Sox game this year? I guess we should all be used to this kind of thing in this town, but to me being a Sox fan always meant not accepting mediocre or the idea of being a "loveable loser."

At the same time, the play has been so bad that it has been painful to watch. For crying out loud, I have been watching reality TV shows and summer TV fare instead of Sox games. I even turned down free Sox tickets at one point preferring to work instead!

Maybe I am just suddenly spoiled after '05. However, I was with them until the end last year, and sure watched nearly every game prior to that year. I just have a really hard time watching this team.

I guess I am hoping to start some kind of Sox Support Groupr or something!

JB98
07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Just curious, is anyone finding themselves still enjoying watching a Sox game this year? I guess we should all be used to this kind of thing in this town, but to me being a Sox fan always meant not accepting mediocre or the idea of being a "loveable loser."

At the same time, the play has been so bad that it has been painful to watch. For crying out loud, I have been watching reality TV shows and summer TV fare instead of Sox games. I even turned down free Sox tickets at one point preferring to work instead!

Maybe I am just suddenly spoiled after '05. However, I was with them until the end last year, and sure watched nearly every game prior to that year. I just have a really hard time watching this team.

I turned down a chance to go to last night's game because I knew Contreras would lose.

The Sox are 3-9 in games I've gone to this year. I got to see a no-hitter in person, but other than that, it really isn't much fun to go when all they do is lose.

I'm cutting back on my game attendance significantly in the second half. Probably five or six more games, and that's it.

DumpJerry
07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
You can't beat fun at the 'ole ballpark.

dwalteroo
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I still enjoy going to games...I'm just having a lot harder time finding people willing to go with. I can't watch on TV as much, it just doesn't seem worth it.

In all, I still like watching our starting pitchers - that's what I tune in for. Once the bullpen comes in, I put it on mute and start doing the dishes.

WizardsofOzzie
07-05-2007, 04:34 PM
My attendance record in the last year or so is 0-5 with one rainout. I'm not having fun :(:

oeo
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM

best review of minor league teams in the Chicago area at www.chicagominorleaguereview.com (http://www.chicagominorleaguereview.com).

Well, the play hasn't been that bad, as of late. Yesterday sucked, but other than that we've been getting good starting pitching and the occasional clutch hit. It's much more easier to watch than it was a couple of weeks ago.

skottyj242
07-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Holy ****, someone mark this down. I agree with Dump.

comet2k
07-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I get more negative as the season goes on, growling every time the Sox leave runners on base, getting a knot in my stomach everytime the other team gets runners on or even if a Sox pitcher falls behind in the count. I see Sox hitters miss hanging breaking balls and other teams crushing our hangers. I moan every time they hold Thome or Konerko at third base because they're too slow to score from second on a single. And I wince any time the Sox go to their bullpen.

But I still tune in for games as often as I can and haven't flushed my tickets down the toilet (yet). They're 1-5 in games I've attended, so I may have bad charma. Here's fair warning: I'm planning to go this Friday night, July 24 vs. the Tigers and July 28 vs. the Blue Jays.

Blind Lemon 5103
07-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I enjoy being at the ballpark, win or lose. Beats being at work. I average about 4-7 games per year. Upper deck, lower deck...doesn't matter, just so long as I'm there.

Of course, a winning team makes the experience more exciting, but I just try to enjoy the game at hand.

Watching on TV this year is kind of tough, I must say. Even harder to listen on radio...the bad team makes our already dull announcers even more dull...not much to get excited about.

JB98
07-05-2007, 05:05 PM
I get more negative as the season goes on, growling every time the Sox leave runners on base, getting a knot in my stomach everytime the other team gets runners on or even if a Sox pitcher falls behind in the count. I see Sox hitters miss hanging breaking balls and other teams crushing our hangers. I moan every time they hold Thome or Konerko at third base because they're too slow to score from second on a single. And I wince any time the Sox go to their bullpen.

But I still tune in for games as often as I can and haven't flushed my tickets down the toilet (yet). They're 1-5 in games I've attended, so I may have bad charma. Here's fair warning: I'm planning to go this Friday night, July 24 vs. the Tigers and July 28 vs. the Blue Jays.

****, I'm going on the 28th too. It's a guaranteed loss. :(:

Law11
07-05-2007, 05:05 PM
As for watching the games. No I'm not organizing my nights around the Sox anymore. I have 1 game left for the season tomorrow and that'll be it until 08 for me. I have a newborn on the way in 5 weeks and that where my focus will be. Plus by next season I'll be able to stretch out a bit more at the games pre 05.

wassagstdu
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Seeing the Sox outplayed, and badly so, by the Zeros is not fun. Jim Palmer said after the incompetent play by Fields (error and then some) "The Sox are playing like a bad team right now." Perceptive.

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Well, the play hasn't been that bad, as of late. Yesterday sucked, but other than that we've been getting good starting pitching and the occasional clutch hit. It's much more easier to watch than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing like playing Tampa and KC to get semi healthy. Original poster, don't look to get much support for your support group, all is well.... :rolleyes:

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 05:34 PM

I won't even get into "much more easier".

Domeshot17
07-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I enjoy going to the game, but nothing suprises me anymore. The last 2 years when we lost (especially like Monday night) I would get that pit in my stomach, like the loss could literally ruin the rest of the night for me. Monday, I walked out of that park without that feeling, because I wasnt shocked anymore. I hate expecting to lose.

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I enjoy going to the game, but nothing suprises me anymore. The last 2 years when we lost (especially like Monday night) I would get that pit in my stomach, like the loss could literally ruin the rest of the night for me. Monday, I walked out of that park without that feeling, because I wasnt shocked anymore. I hate expecting to lose.

Ditto.

StillMissOzzie
07-05-2007, 05:38 PM

****, I'm going on the 28th too. It's a guaranteed loss. :(:

Think of it as a trip to see Big Frank, not the White Sox.

I've got at least one more game in me, the day game vs. the Tiggers on 7/24 (boy, did I think THAT game was gonna be a whole lot more meaningful!), and maybe one more. I am certainly not working the rest of my summer around this team.

SMO
:(:

getonbckthr
07-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Turn Sox games into a drinking game, watch how much fun you will have.

cbotnyse
07-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Turn Sox games into a drinking game, watch how much fun you will have.:rolleyes: does everything have to be about drinking with you.

103 screwball
07-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I haven't watched as much. All of the losing puts me in a bad mood. I know I shouldn't let it effect my real life, but I can't help it. It will be more fun when Buehrle is resigned and some trades are made.

oeo
07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Nothing like playing Tampa and KC to get semi healthy. Original poster, don't look to get much support for your support group, all is well.... :rolleyes:

:?:

Look at all my posts and not once have I said 'all is well.' All I said is it isn't as bad to watch anymore.

I won't even get into "much more easier".

Thank you, professor. :rolleyes:

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
No problemo Ozzie.

Dan the Man
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Once the bullpen comes in, I put it on mute and start doing the dishes.
That's not necessary, as Hawk usually turns his mouth to mute after a few batters after the pen gets involved. :D:

getonbckthr
07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
:rolleyes: does everything have to be about drinking with you.
:beer:turkeys
The 2 most important keys to surviving the daily struggles of the non-Bill Gates life. Beer cause it tastes so good turkey because it tastes so good.

Frontman
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes. Absolutely. To take my son to his first Sox game, I'll always enjoy that memory. Starting a family tradition of me and my brother and sister going one evening, just to enjoy time together? Of course.

Do I like the product on the field? No. But will I start "hating" the Sox?

Never. I might want to toss things at Kenny Williams for some decisions, namely the "hard throwing bullpen" concept; but again, if he wasn't making moves, I'd be angry. He's trying, the team is trying, and the coaching staff is trying.

Here's to seeing things turn the corner this season, end on an upswing, and build on that for next season.

Sox
07-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes. Absolutely. To take my son to his first Sox game, I'll always enjoy that memory. Starting a family tradition of me and my brother and sister going one evening, just to enjoy time together? Of course.

Do I like the product on the field? No. But will I start "hating" the Sox?

Never. I might want to toss things at Kenny Williams for some decisions, namely the "hard throwing bullpen" concept; but again, if he wasn't making moves, I'd be angry. He's trying, the team is trying, and the coaching staff is trying.

Here's to seeing things turn the corner this season, end on an upswing, and build on that for next season.

Amen to that.:bandance:

thomas35forever
07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
If I could, I'd go to all 81 home games. That's how much I enjoy going. I still might do that in the distant future.

HotelWhiteSox
07-05-2007, 10:40 PM
The most annoying thing for me is dealing with other people, esp who don't even follow baseball, but just want to kick you while you're down

jabrch
07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
The most annoying thing for me is dealing with other people, esp who don't even follow baseball, but just want to kick you while you're down

Absolutely!

I enjoy going to games. I enjoy watching games. I enjoy them even more when we win and even more when we win and are in contention. But nobody is going to make me enjoy baseball any less because of anything they say or think about the Sox.

I know we are done for 2007, but 2007 can still be fun (not as fun as 2005, but fun none-the-less) and most importantly it can be a building block for 2008. Seeing Danks throw another good outing (his 7th inning looked like a guy pitching with an 8 run lead - and making sure he didn't walk anyone) made me feel optimistic about 2008.

ChicagoG19
07-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I still enjoy watching every game whether at home or in person. I am a fan of baseball and I enjoy watching the game itself.

ChiSoxFan7
07-05-2007, 11:35 PM
during the 2005 campaign i watched close to 90% of the games....but now i can't even bear to watch it...

It's just not fun to see guys not knowing how to bunt, not working the count, not hitting behind the runners, not stealing bases, and swinging for the fence every at bat. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

kaufsox
07-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I still enjoy watching every game whether at home or in person. I am a fan of baseball and I enjoy watching the game itself.

Exactly. I'll pretty much watch any game, but especially the Sox. If I could go to more games I would, but that just isn't possible right now. My son and I went to Thillens Stadium recently and had a blast watching little league. Baseball is the greatest game ever invented, even if the Sox have been poor examples of it lately.

RockJock07
07-06-2007, 01:09 AM
I still watch games on tv, I've made 2 games this year, i'm 1-1, i hope to get to another before the end of summer. I just enjoy watching the sox.

I know what the sox did in 05 was nothing short of amazing and we'll probably never see that again in our lives. They just played so out of there minds that season and post-season to expect that every season is not realistic. However, we as fans should expect better baseball then this season has brought

But I still plan my nights to watch the sox. However, Hawk is just annoying this season. But I'll be watching the rest of the year.

Oh, and congrads Law on the baby, another Sox fan in the world is a great thing!

areilly
07-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I watch but only in the way I look at car crashes as I pass them - sick curiosity mixed with an acute sense of all-encompassing reverence.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 2007 White Sox baseball - shank or be shanked!

nccwsfan
07-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Good times or bad My wife and i watch or listen on the radio to every sox game. We have for years and one bad season will not change that.

My sentiments exactly- it's been the most disappointing/frustrating season to me in 20+ years, but win or lose I'll always enjoy a White Sox game.

tebman
07-06-2007, 09:23 AM
My sentiments exactly- it's been the most disappointing/frustrating season to me in 20+ years, but win or lose I'll always enjoy a White Sox game.
Don't know who said it, but it's a great line: "A bad day at the ballpark beats a good day at work."

chisoxfanatic
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
True dat. I STILL am having fun going to games. It's an added bonus that all the other season ticketholders around me are awesome; but, that's still my team out there playing. Winning the World Series in 2005 has really put less pressure on me while watching these games. I'm not saying I'm satisfied with just one World Series--you know what I mean.

GlassSox
07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Don't know who said it, but it's a great line: "A bad day at the ballpark beats a good day at work."

Amen and for me today is just that. 1:05pm in the cell vs being at work :gulp: :bandance: :cool:

Jurr
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
True dat. I STILL am having fun going to games. It's an added bonus that all the other season ticketholders around me are awesome; but, that's still my team out there playing. Winning the World Series in 2005 has really put less pressure on me while watching these games. I'm not saying I'm satisfied with just one World Series--you know what I mean.
Right there with you. Before October '05, I would get so worked up when I'd see Sox teams with potential end up fizzling out. Each loss was agony, because I'd see yet another chance at a Sox WS go down the drain. Since they won, I still get pissed when they play poorly, but I'm much more at peace. I watch the games now to A.)see them win and B.)see how the young players like Fields, Danks, Masset, etc. perform. I'm very excited to see exactly how this roster is going to be molded in the upcoming years.

Will it be yet another "homer or nothing" lineup? Will we get some impressive free agents (Suzuki, Hunter)? Which prospect(s) will finaly show up and grown into a quality talent along the lines of Lee, Ordonez, or Rowand?

There's so much going on with this transitory phase that the Sox are about to begin. It's fun to watch, even if the baseball on the field is far from palatable.

jabrch
07-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Right there with you. Before October '05, I would get so worked up when I'd see Sox teams with potential end up fizzling out. Each loss was agony, because I'd see yet another chance at a Sox WS go down the drain. Since they won, I still get pissed when they play poorly, but I'm much more at peace. I watch the games now to A.)see them win and B.)see how the young players like Fields, Danks, Masset, etc. perform. I'm very excited to see exactly how this roster is going to be molded in the upcoming years.

Will it be yet another "homer or nothing" lineup? Will we get some impressive free agents (Suzuki, Hunter)? Which prospect(s) will finaly show up and grown into a quality talent along the lines of Lee, Ordonez, or Rowand?

There's so much going on with this transitory phase that the Sox are about to begin. It's fun to watch, even if the baseball on the field is far from palatable.

Wonderful post! I totally agree.

southside rocks
07-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Well said!

I just bought tix to tomorrow's game against the Twins. Great seats, behind the dugout. I will have a good time and I hope to see some very good baseball. Through all the frustration and disappointment of this season, the White Sox are still my team and I can't stop rooting for them. I also see indications of the future when I watch Fields and Danks and the other youngsters.

Bucky F. Dent
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Still beats the hell out of working.

pdimas
07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I for one still love going to the games although I have found myself drinking more and more. Like Dump said nothing beats fun at the ole ballpark. I love the pregame tailgating (which seems to go on longer and longer each game), the camaraderie of hanging out with fellow Sox diehards, getting to hang out with my dad, and that my gf also loves to going to as many games as possible (even though the team has been a constant headache). I can't say '07 has been a total loss as my gf picked me up at a game this year. Ahh well I see it as no lose the Sox having a good game :bandance: the Sox playing awful and stinking up the place :gulp: and :gulp:, After all it is just a game, maddening and frustrating at times but still a game.

Baseball is summer and hanging out with my summer family and no matter how bad the Sox have been I would not trade that for anything.

Jurr
07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
during the 2005 campaign i watched close to 90% of the games....but now i can't even bear to watch it...

It's just not fun to see guys not knowing how to bunt, not working the count, not hitting behind the runners, not stealing bases, and swinging for the fence every at bat. :angry::angry::angry::angry:
We have a word for people like that.

MySoxAreClean
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
AS long as the beer keeps comming im good

oddlot
07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
As a fifty-something old f*** who has lived in half a dozen cities, (but has resided in Chi-town for nearly two decades) and become emotionally attached to various teams in the past, I somewhat sympathize with die-hard Sox fans who are feeling the pain this year. However, some years ago I decided that I had suffered too much following losing teams. In the age of TV revenues, I decided that fan loyalty had become basically unrequited. I came to realize that baseball, albeit all sports, is now all just part of the entertainment spectrum, and the only basis for following any team is its championship calibier potential. In other words, don't waste your time following losers.

I know that die-hard fans of any team abhor bandwagon leapers, but that's what I am. In '03. I followed the Cubs. In "05, I enjoyed the Sox. This year, I was thinking I could forego the entire Chicago baseball season (and catch up on some long-delayed house projects), until the Cubs starting giving me a whimper of hope the last few weeks. I'm not watching them yet, but they're giving me reason to pause.

Blasphemy, you say. Perhaps, but as far as I'm concerned, if a team sucks, I'm not going to bother with them. Winning is everything, as someone from the frozen tundra (one of the places where once I resided) once said.

So, syonara Sox, you were fun while it lasted, but you are awful big time now, and not worth any of my time, except to type this final message.

Oddlot

Mod edit: Since it was your final message, you won't even notice the week off I just gave you for the language filter violation. Go on back to the Cubs, you won't be missed.

Jurr
07-06-2007, 10:13 PM
This guy is hilarious! Excellent post, oddlot! You made my night!

The bandwagon theory of sports fandom works for a lot of people, but not the lot of us at WSI. We go through years and years of frustration, dreaming for that one moment where the fates decide it's our time.

You can't enjoy a world series win to the fullest if you weren't there when Torii Hunter barrelled into Jamie Burke. The champagne doesn't taste nearly as good if you didn't cry your eyes out when Juan Guzman made Jack McDowell look like an amateur.

Being a fan of a sports team means standing by that team through the rich times as well as the poor ones. When the Sox won a world series, we went to visit the grave of our grandfather, who had ached his entire life to see his team win. He didn't have that chance. We did, after all of our days, nights, months, and years of frustration.

To say sports are just entertainment is like saying the Bible is just a bunch of letters on pages. Sports, especially the following of a team, becomes a tie that binds people of all races, religions, and backgrounds. It becomes a bond that children share with their grandparents, then lives through the children to share with their grandchildren.

Go enjoy your yard work and other home care needs. We will sit and throw shoes against the wall, check the internet rumor mills for our team's moves, and prepare for that day when it all comes together again. We'll party like there's no tomorrow, and you, my friend will not know how sweet it is.

JB98
07-06-2007, 10:16 PM

The bandwagon theory of sports fandom works for a lot of people, but not the lot of us at WSI. We go through years and years of frustration, dreaming for that one moment where the fates decide it's our time.

You can't enjoy a world series win to the fullest if you weren't there when Torii Hunter barrelled into Jamie Burke. The champagne doesn't taste nearly as good if you didn't cry your eyes out when Juan Guzman made Jack McDowell look like an amateur.

Being a fan of a sports team means standing by that team through the rich times as well as the poor ones. When the Sox won a world series, we went to visit the grave of our grandfather, who had ached his entire life to see his team win. He didn't have that chance. We did, after all of our days, nights, months, and years of frustration.

To say sports are just entertainment is like saying the Bible is just a bunch of letters on pages. Sports, especially the following of a team, becomes a tie that binds people of all races, religions, and backgrounds. It becomes a bond that children share with their grandparents, then lives through the children to share with their grandchildren.

Go enjoy your yard work and other home care needs. We will sit and throw shoes against the wall, check the internet rumor mills for our team's moves, and prepare for that day when it all comes together again. We'll party like there's no tomorrow, and you, my friend will not know how sweet it is.

:supernana::supernana::supernana:

Cellview22
07-06-2007, 10:25 PM

Post of the season! :supernana:

BoysMom3
07-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I went to the game with my family on the 4th. I would have loved it if we had won, but I did not regret driving the 3 hours each way to be there. I enjoyed it because I love baseball. The bonus was walking out to the ramp and seeing fireworks light up the sky from east to west - everywhere you looked, there they were - amazing! I'm still watching on tv and listening to the games on the radio. Of course I'm not enjoying that as much as when we're winning, but I'm still in.

ChetChat
07-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Problem is the '05 team really raised the bar as far as our expectations go.
We didn't take losing so much to heart before...
And others didn't kick us while we were down, cuz heck, we'd been down so long!
I find myself talking more at games... especially tonight! I couldn't bear to watch one more homerun. Thank goodness for the dessert cart. And the fireworks.

DSpivack
07-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I find myself talking more at games... especially tonight! I couldn't bear to watch one more homerun. Thank goodness for the dessert cart. And the fireworks.

Also, 99 and 95 were the only really bad teams since 1990. You can add this year to that list.

JB98
07-06-2007, 11:28 PM

People who are not Sox fans are enjoying our losing more now than in the past, because they resent us for celebrating the 2005 title.

Frontman
07-06-2007, 11:28 PM

Made my POTW look like kid's stuff. You sir, are DA man.

Thanks for reminding us what its all about.

See you all at the Cell soon. (Tomorrow for me and my wife of 10 years to have fun with all our friends and cheer on the Sox. Go Mark, get us a win Buehrle-mon! If he works quick, throws hard, and lifts the confidence of the position players? Let's get a "W".)

ChetChat
07-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Problem is the '05 team really raised the bar for our expectations.
Losing wasn't such a HUGE deal, but it's always bad.
Plus we didn't get picked on so much, cuz expectations weren't there, anyways.
I find myself talking more at games... especially tonight! I couldn't bear to watch one more homerun. Thank goodness for the dessert cart.
But I have to agree, can't beat the ole ballpark for fun. You just never know when it's all going to click, like on April 18th....

Frontman
07-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Problem is the '05 team really raised the bar for our expectations.
Losing wasn't such a HUGE deal, but it's always bad.
Plus we didn't get picked on so much, cuz expectations weren't there, anyways.
I find myself talking more at games... especially tonight! I couldn't bear to watch one more homerun. Thank goodness for the dessert cart.
But I have to agree, can't beat the ole ballpark for fun. You just never know when it's all going to click, like on April 18th....

"Winning is not a sometime thing; itīs an all the time thing. You donīt win once in a while; you donīt do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and thatīs first place. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I donīt ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowl game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It is and always has been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win."Every time a football player goes to play his trade heīs got to play from the ground up-from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. Thatīs O.K. Youīve got to be smart to be number one in any business. But more importantly, youīve got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body. If youīre lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, heīs never going to come off the field second."Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization-an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win-to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I donīt think it is."It is a reality of life that men are competitive and the most competitive games draw the most competitive men. Thatīs why they are there-to compete. To know the rules and objectives when they get in the game. The object is to win fairly, squarely, by the rules-but to win."And in truth, Iīve never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didnīt appreciate the grind, the discipline. There is something in good men that really yearns for discipline and the harsh reality of head to head combat."I donīt say these things because I believe in the "brute" nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any manīs finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

kevin57
07-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I don't subscribe to the "we were spoiled in '05 and everything by comparison will suck" hypothesis.

This is a good team, unlike some of the losers in the dog days of the '70s.

I know, it's easy now to point to this or that aspect of the team that Kenny should have caught, but let's be honest, virtually nobody forcasted a bad season last winter.

That makes this team especially gruesome to watch.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm reminded of the Spinal Tap road manager's response when asked whether the band's popularity has waned?

"Oh, no... no... our audience is now just more selective."

:wink:

starboy0
07-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I love the Sox and baseball in general. Been a fan since 1960. I am a season ticket holder. But I will admit this year there are many games I just haven't gone in for.

I have no feeling we can win. The ways they lose is just really hard to watch. Last game I was at was The 7-6 loss to the O's when we coughed up that 6-2 lead with 2 out in the 8th.

Thought about going to the doubleheader yesterday buy oh my God can it get any more brutal? Score 14 runs and still lose, then get hammered 12-0 in the nightcap.

I will still re-up next year but I have no enthusiasm left this year. And I will still make a few more games but not nearly as many as usual.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2007, 09:42 AM

Great post!

Even in down years, though, I've looked forward watching Ozzie play defense, Frank hit, Raines or Pods steal and Buehrle pitch. I've been privileged enough to see (on TV) Fisk tag out two runners on one play, Seaver win #300, Alvarez pitch the no-no, Pasqua crush some taters and Steve Lyons pull down his pants. In person I've correctly predicted a Frank grand slam, seen Borchard live up to his "Light Tower Power" nickname, watched Fisk hit a game-winning homer and seen Lofton flash some great leather.

I've enjoyed watching young players develop: I remember in 1998 wondering who that outfielder with the funny name was, and then seeing him develop into Magglio Ordonez. Ventura, Crede and Anderson elevate defense to an art. Watching AJ irritate opponents, and then act as if he's completely innocent, is a blast. I've even enjoyed watching players prove me wrong; Rowand's hustle and Paulie's homers come to mind.

Other than his no-hitter, my all-time favorite regular season game was Buehrle's 99-minute victory over the Mariners in early 2005, which, as we all know, happened well before we all had sipped the sweet champagne of World Series victory.

We can hope, but we can't expect to win the World Series every year. Even the Yankess fail more than they succeed. In the absene of ultimate glory, it's these simple pleasures that we should treasure.

Sox
07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
It would be a little hard for me to put my two pennies worth in that I only get to see the Sox play whenever WGN decides to show them. Other than that it's always wall to wall Flubs coverage.:angry:

kitekrazy
07-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Blasphemy, you say. Perhaps, but as far as I'm concerned, if a team sucks, I'm not going to bother with them. Winning is everything, as someone from the frozen tundra (one of the places where once I resided) once said.

Many people do this. Some franchises don't have the luxury of their home field being a tourist attraction.
No one attends a Blackhawk game. Do you think the Detroit Lions sell out?

A fans level of support changes with the quality of play on the field. If a team is winning they will buy tickets. IF they're not, then TV and radio will do just fine.