PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Ritchie column

Lip Man 1
04-03-2002, 01:52 AM
An interesting story on "our intrepid G.M.'s" deals by Andrew Ritchie today.
After reading it, my first and strongest impression was that it is a sad commentary on the state of the Sox franchise, the the 3rd largest population center and media market in the U.S. has to "settle" for acquiring one way or another, a bunch of "mediocre no names" instead of going out and getting some REAL major league players the fans (and the opposition) can identify with. The Sox are always "hoping" things work out.
I mean no disrespect but I would completley gut the entire "can't miss kid" farm system if I could get some guys ready to play NOW, not folks who "might" help or who "may" be ready in two or three years.
Since 1998 the Sox have had only two "kids" come up and win 10 or more games in a season (Buehrle and Kip Wells last year). Fans these "kids" ARE NOT THAT GOOD! Get rid of them NOW while we can still get something for them before EVERYBODY knows these "can't miss kids" CAN'T!

Lip

harwar
04-03-2002, 08:59 AM
I'm wondering if these young pitchers just are not as good as foretold(sans Buerhle&Garland) or if its just a matter of total mismanagement by ken williams.However;If reinsdorf won't open his purse then i guess theres not a lot the GM can do.

ma-gaga
04-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
After reading it, my first and strongest impression was that it is a sad commentary on the state of the Sox franchise, the the 3rd largest population center and media market in the U.S. has to "settle" for acquiring one way or another, a bunch of "mediocre no names" instead of going out and getting some REAL major league players the fans (and the opposition) can identify with.

I would completley gut the entire "can't miss kid" farm system if I could get some guys ready to play NOW, not folks who "might" help or who "may" be ready in two or three years.

Fans these "kids" ARE NOT THAT GOOD! Get rid of them NOW while we can still get something for them before EVERYBODY knows these "can't miss kids" CAN'T!

Lip

So Royce Clayton was a good deal?
What do you think, the Yankees buy all their talent?
What do you think, all young players suck?

Your post makes no sense. You'd "gut" the farm system for a one-shot at winning it all, even though it guarantees you a minimum of 5-7 years of mediorocity? guaranteed

I suppose your example is the Marlins. Sell off the farm for a shot at the WS. Win it, disassemble the team because the fans won't embrace them. Sign some major leaguer? Ok, go ahead, sign a hitter, an Albert Belle, a Carl Everett, a Mo Vaughn, someone the FANS can identify with. Maybe a Sandy Alomar or a Harold Baines, are you kidding me?

These "kids" are how teams get built. Noone can just buy a championship. The Yankees have had so much success because they correctly identify talent and how to use it.

Sorry, I don't like your argument. I'd take the kids, they might surprise you how far they'll go.

Dadawg_77
04-03-2002, 09:33 AM
In order to win you need to have both young and old players. The Yankees and Oakland are the benchmark for the entire industry to follow. Both built their teams from the ground up. Yankees, Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pititte, Soriano, Nick Johnson are in house players. Then they went out and got FA and made trades to fill holes. Their market, New York and their winning keeps filling their coffers. Which allows them to have penlty of cash to go around. Oakland built from the ground up, signed it young great pitchers to deals which advoids off season bickering that the Sox always fall into with young pitchers. Oakland just doesn't have a market like the Yankees, so it can't generate the cash the Yankees can to keep players and to add high price players. The Sox need to increase thier market share of the Chicago market, and find new markets for their product. One of the reasons the Sox were put back on WGN.

doublem23
04-03-2002, 11:12 AM
I think the real problem with the Sox that Andrew Ritchie's column proves is that the fans are a lot smarter than the guys in the front office.

:KW
If someone would offer me a weak hitting first baseman with a solid glove, you can all say good bye to Paul Konerko!

Paulwny
04-03-2002, 11:38 AM
The name of the game is pitching. The only decent pitchers out of the yankmee farm are Pettite and Rivera. Mendoza is a ?.
All the rest of the staff are basically hired guns.
The yankmees always will trade their minor league players for ml players. Two yrs ago the only minor league player they wouldn't trade was Siriano, last year Johnson. King George doesn't care about tomorrows team only todays.
Posada is a stretch, he can hit but he sucks as a catcher.

rmusacch
04-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I'm wondering if these young pitchers just are not as good as foretold(sans Buerhle&Garland) or if its just a matter of total mismanagement by ken williams.However;If reinsdorf won't open his purse then i guess theres not a lot the GM can do.

You guys forget that Buehrle was not hyped at all. We better hope there are some more like him if we hope to be halfway decent.

rmusacch
04-03-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I think the real problem with the Sox that Andrew Ritchie's column proves is that the fans are a lot smarter than the guys in the front office.

:KW
If someone would offer me a weak hitting first baseman with a solid glove, you can all say good bye to Paul Konerko!

It is a lot easier to do when you are the armchair quarterback. We all gripe about the moves that the front office makes but it is not easy.

voodoochile
04-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Can we at least wait until Rauch, Garland and Wright pitch their first games before writing them off as bad?

Just keep repeating to yourselves... The sky is not falling...

It's April 3rd fercrisake...