PDA

View Full Version : Official Lets Fix This Mess Thread

Georgey3085
07-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Ok, I am just sick with this team now and wanted to start a thread for all the players the Sox should be looking to get rid of.

#1 Bullpen: Get rid of all of them minus Jenks.

#2 Juan Uribe: He has pathetic at bats, cannot bunt, only plus he is semi decent at SS.

#3 Jermaine Dye: Again, bad at bats, strikes out way too much, seems like the injury is still bothering him or he's having a mental break down at the plate.

#4 Toby Hall & AJ: Can we throw ANYONE out at 2nd base.

#5 Jose Contreras: Can't hold a runner on base, slow pace, bad bad baddd pitcher

#6 Tadahito Iguchi: I love the guy, but he can't bunt and makes a lot of mental mistakes at 2nd.

This is my list, what do you guys think?

JB98
07-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Ok, I am just sick with this team now and wanted to start a thread for all the players the Sox should be looking to get rid of.

#2 Juan Uribe: He has pathetic at bats, cannot bunt, only plus he is semi decent at SS.

#3 Jermaine Dye: Again, bad at bats, strikes out way too much, seems like the injury is still bothering him or he's having a mental break down at the plate.

#5 Jose Contreras: Can't hold a runner on base, slow pace, bad bad baddd pitcher

#6 Tadahito Iguchi: I love the guy, but he can't bunt and makes a lot of mental mistakes at 2nd.

You can't get rid of the entire bullpen except for Jenks. Who are you going to replace them with? I predict a couple of these guys will pitch their way into the Sox plans as the season progresses.

Right now, Logan is showing he can be used as a LOOGY. He's still young, and hopefully he can figure a way to get right-handed hitters out. Thornton was outstanding on the last trip. I think these two left-handers should be kept.

As far as the righties, it's anybody's guess. For me, Aardsma has pitched himself off the team. Permanently. The jury is out on Mike MacDougal. Hopefully, he figures it out because he's under contract. Bukvich has been hit or miss. I don't see him as a long-term solution, but maybe he can prove me wrong.

I totally disagree with the idea of getting rid of AJ.

chisoxmike
07-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Keep:

Buehrle
Garland
Danks
Konerko
Thome
Uribe
Fields
AJ
Logan (shudder)
Thornton
Jenks

Give everybody else walking papers.

Noneck
07-05-2007, 12:19 AM
The catchers not being able to throw anyone out has a lot to do with the fact that nobody except Garland and Burls knows how to hold a runner on. And Hall playing with 1 good arm, and thats not the one he throws with.

Noneck
07-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Keep:

Buehrle
Garland
Danks
Konerko
Thome
Uribe
Fields
AJ
Logan (shudder)
Thornton
Jenks

Let Vasquez walk? He's a marketable commodity, Lets not be so charitable now.

chisoxmike
07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Let Vasquez walk? He's a marketable commodity, Lets not be so charitable now.

Trade him, whatever. Get him off the team.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
First of all, you DO NOT get rid of AJ just for the fact that he can't through out runners, but besides that I pretty much agree with most of the guys on your list. Someone mentioned Logan, and I agree with that because he is a decent LOOGY and is still young. Thornton doesn't completley suck so keep him. However, regarding the whole Juan Uribe thing, I'm as disgusted with him as the next guy, but who do you replace him with?

kaufsox
07-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Keep:

Buehrle
Garland
Danks
Konerko
Thome
Uribe
Fields
AJ
Logan (shudder)
Thornton
Jenks

The only problem with this list (except keeping Uribe, really? he's not expendable?) is that it is pretty much all of the top guys on the roster. No one is going to make a trade that significantly fills a hole for the Sox and get nothing in return. Honestly, what would Dye fetch right now? some middling prospects and perhaps a marginal big leaguer? Contreras? Pods? Nope, some folks from your keeper list will have to leave in order to significantly improve the team, unless the Sox go on a spending spree which I don't forsee. Definitely a more active off-season is in order. KW created 2005 by moving guys that I didn't particularly want to see go (see C Lee) lets hope he returns to form in 2008.

CHISOXFAN13
07-05-2007, 12:28 AM

Why?

You want to dump half the bullpen and then unload an innings eater like Vazquez. I don't get it.

chisoxmike
07-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Why?

You want to dump half the bullpen and then unload an innings eater like Vazquez. I don't get it.

The team needs a complete overhaul. Nobody in the bullpen is worth ****. Time to start over there. And Vazquez...well, it's Vazquez. It's garbage time for him, so he pitches pretty good games. But when we're fighting for the playoffs he gives up grand slams to Craig Monroe.

Noneck
07-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Keep:

Buehrle
Garland
Danks
Konerko
Thome
Uribe
Fields
AJ
Logan (shudder)
Thornton
Jenks

I'm with you except: lets get something for Vasquez , dump Uribe and this is the hardest: get lucky and find someone to take the high priced, injury prone, aging platoon DH we have.

chisoxmike
07-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I'm with you except: lets get something for Vasquez , dump Uribe and this is the hardest: get lucky and find someone to take the high priced, injury prone, aging platoon DH we have.

By "let them walk" I mean trade them if you can.

About Uribe, who are you going to replace him with?

Noneck
07-05-2007, 12:49 AM
By "let them walk" I mean trade them if you can.

About Uribe, who are you going to replace him with?

Comeon, Lets not go that route. I could have done the same with all of your dumps . eg: bullpen, leadoff hitter, 4th and 5th starters, the whole of, 2nd base. We see whats available during the off season, thats my answer.

100 Year Itch
07-05-2007, 12:50 AM
What is the consensus on Tadahito's market value?

He is making $3.25 million this year -- same as Uribe, BTW -- and is probably due a 20% raise to $4 million (Uribe has a 1 year option in '08 for $5 million with a $300K buy-out).

Personally, I'd buy-out Uribe and give Iguchi the $4.7 million that was slated for Uribe. I'd give him a two year deal with a third year at $7 million or a $400k buy-out.

Uribe can eat sand for all care although I bet he is a "high leverage" type of player -- meaning, I bet he outperforms in critical situations. Do the stats back this up? Are there "leverage" stats for batters and fielders?

JB98
07-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Good luck with that. As I've posted before, there are only a limited number of teams that would consider Thome. Namely, AL contenders with deep pockets and a need at DH.

In other words, the Angels and nobody else.

JB98
07-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Comeon, Lets not go that route. I could have done the same with all of your dumps . eg: bullpen, leadoff hitter, 4th and 5th starters, the whole of, 2nd base. We see whats available during the off season, thats my answer.

There are a number of decent players available at 2B in the free-agent market this offseason: Castillo, Loretta, Giles, etc.

The shortstop market is much more thin.

Noneck
07-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Good luck with that. As I've posted before, there are only a limited number of teams that would consider Thome. Namely, AL contenders with deep pockets and a need at DH.

In other words, the Angels and nobody else.

You did notice I did use the terms, the hardest and getting lucky?

MetroPD
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Bullpen - take half out back behind 35th and execute them in plain view, this might inspire the other half to start playing major league ball.

Juan Uribe - the guy has been terrible since day 1, but been overlooked because of the rest of the team had been playing well.

Dye- give the man some rest time.

Catcher - maybe we should have kept Olivo? or bring back Karkovice....

Contreres - hes a good no.3 no complaints.

Iguchi- having a bad year affected by the team wide slump, not as talented as some, but still better than most. We could do worse.

Bright spots - Josh Fields has been playing well of late. It would be nice to see him learn short stop.

Noneck
07-05-2007, 01:06 AM
There are a number of decent players available at 2B in the free-agent market this offseason: Castillo, Loretta, Giles, etc.

The shortstop market is much more thin.

Heck at what Uribe has been giving us I'd go to the scrap heap and get a Ronnie Cedeno type and use the salary difference for help elsewhere. But don't hold me to that till I see whats available in the off season.

oeo
07-05-2007, 01:27 AM

And replace him with whom? Danks is not some 10-year vet...he counts as a young guy that will be in our rotation next year. The only guy on the starting staff that should be shown the door is Contreras. Vazquez is not a bad pitcher, and I don't see anyone replacing him next year.

No way I keep Uribe. We need to make a change at short.

areilly
07-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Keep:
Garland
Buehrle
Vazquez
Danks
Jenks
A.J.
Konerko
Iguchi
Fields
Thornton
Logan
Hall

Move/Lose:
The rest

Systematically Murder:
The rest of the AL Central

harwar
07-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I imagine trying to move Conteras and Dye at this time isn't going to produce much in return as other teams just are not going to help us out because we need it.
I would like to see Buehrle,Garland,Vazquez,and Danks all in the rotation next year but sometime in the next couple of weeks we will hear that Mark has been traded and there is not a thing we can do,except complain.

Georgey3085
07-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Really about Juan Uribe though, I don't care if we get some high school player, at least he may be able to lay the bunt down or not swing out of his shoes. Maybe in the off season we'll be in the A-Rod hunt and move him back to his old spot

Jaffar
07-05-2007, 08:30 AM
If Buehrle is not re-signed then Garland will most likely not be re-signed as well next year. If Buehrle is re-signed then Garland might be the one on the trading block along with Contreras. Garland would bring us the most in return and chances are this will not be a team going for it next year and I do not see Garland giving the discount that Buehrle is just to deal with the same crap. I just think Garland will leave to free agency after 2008 and making 10mil in 07 and 12mil in 08 he would bring us the most in a trade right now and the best chance to fill holes with the players we get in return. This is probably not the popular opinion but it's mine and I like it.

fusillirob1983
07-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Contreras - hes a good no.3 no complaints.

No he's not. He's doing worse than 2005 El Duque. He has good stuff when he's on, but we've only seen that a few times this year.

Bright spots - Josh Fields has been playing well of late. It would be nice to see him learn short stop.

I have no complaints about Josh Fields. He's been okay at defense and doesn't look as lost as some other prospects have at the plate this year. I don't think shortstop is in his future though.

santo=dorf
07-05-2007, 11:33 AM
The team needs a complete overhaul. Nobody in the bullpen is worth ****. Time to start over there. And Vazquez...well, it's Vazquez. It's garbage time for him, so he pitches pretty good games. But when we're fighting for the playoffs he gives up grand slams to Craig Monroe.
Using this silly logic we should keep Contreras just for the reason of how well he pitches when we are competing for a playoff spot (end of 2005, early 2006) and pitches awfule druing garbage time (now, and late 2004.)
:rolleyes:

Lukin13
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
are there 5 teams in baseball that feel they are happy with their bullpen??

were there 5 teams in spring training that wouldn't have traded their entire pen for the sox pen straight up???

the answer to both of those questions is prolly: NO.

if you were to scrap macdougal, thornton and logan there would be a frenzy of teams trying to claim them.

solid bullpen arms are hard to come by....

JB98
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
No he's not. He's doing worse than 2005 El Duque. He has good stuff when he's on, but we've only seen that a few times this year.

I have no complaints about Josh Fields. He's been okay at defense and doesn't look as lost as some other prospects have at the plate this year. I don't think shortstop is in his future though.

There's no way Fields can play shortstop. Let's just hope he becomes a good third baseman.