PDA

View Full Version : Is there a possibility that Contreras is injured?

whitesoxfan1986
07-04-2007, 11:53 PM
I was listening to the postgame show on the score and a caller made a valid point about Jose: a pitcher doesn't lose 8-10 mph on his fastball from one season to the next just by aging one year. Rongey agreed with the caller saying that it makes you wonder whether Jose is injured. What do you think?
It seems very strange that last June Jose was the most dominant pitcher in baseball, working with a mid 90s fastball, and this year he has struggled to reach the high 80s on the gun at times. I kind of agree that there has to be something going on with Jose's shoulder.

JB98
07-04-2007, 11:58 PM
I was listening to the postgame show on the score and a caller made a valid point about Jose: a pitcher doesn't lose 8-10 mph on his fastball from one season to the next just by aging one year. Rongey agreed with the caller saying that it makes you wonder whether Jose is injured. What do you think?
It seems very strange that last June Jose was the most dominant pitcher in baseball, working with a mid 90s fastball, and this year he has struggled to reach the high 80s on the gun at times. I kind of agree that there has to be something going on with Jose's shoulder.

It can't be discounted. Jose's fastball is next to worthless right now. He needs to be removed from the rotation, one way or another. We have no chance to win when he pitches.

I hate having to make comments like that about Jose, because I like him. But the Sox can't bury their heads in the sand and continue to trot him out there much longer.

JorgeFabregas
07-05-2007, 12:02 AM
There have been a few starts this year when his pitches have had more life than the others--not just more speed on the fastball, but crisper breaking pitches too.

100 Year Itch
07-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Jose is precisely the guy the White Sox organization need to shop throughout the remainder of the trade deadline.

He is the quintessential guy a contending team would be willing to take a flyer on -- assuming he is not injured -- in return for a top level pitching prospect and some minor league junk | a serviceable infielder.

He is locked up through 2009 at a hair under $10 million per year, so if the Sox were going to unload him I'd anticipate that at least 1/3 of his remaining contract value -- or about $8-$10 million -- would also be a requisite part of the package.

ST to IT : Jose > Buerhle.

IT to LT : Buerhle > Jose.

ST: short term
IT: intermediate term
LT: long term

ThomesHomie
07-05-2007, 01:07 AM
I hate having to make comments like that about Jose, because I like him. But the Sox can't bury their heads in the sand and continue to trot him out there much longer.

Why not, we do it for any other position and just hope it fixes itself.

EndemicSox
07-05-2007, 02:22 AM
He is either losing velocity because he is closer to 50 years of age than he lets on, or he is injured. I think it's a little of both. I'd love for Kenny to get something in return for Jose, but no GM worth his salt would give up any player with potential for such a huge question mark. One has to respect Jose Contreras for his role in the '05/'06 seasons, but I believe his time as a major league pitcher is coming to an end. His contract expires after '08 correct?

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2007, 03:49 AM
Jose is precisely the guy the White Sox organization need to shop throughout the remainder of the trade deadline.

He is the quintessential guy a contending team would be willing to take a flyer on -- assuming he is not injured -- in return for a top level pitching prospect and some minor league junk | a serviceable infielder.

He is locked up through 2009 at a hair under $10 million per year, so if the Sox were going to unload him I'd anticipate that at least 1/3 of his remaining contract value -- or about $8-$10 million -- would also be a requisite part of the package.

ST to IT : Jose > Buerhle.

IT to LT : Buerhle > Jose.

ST: short term
IT: intermediate term
LT: long term

I'm pretty sure Jose isn't better than Buerhle in any term

Lukin13
07-05-2007, 07:53 AM

I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board feels this way this year after 15 or so starts.

I'm pretty sure that this time last year everyone on this board felt the exact opposite.

The same people that wanted Buehrle gone last year want him to become the highest paid pitcher in team history.

Just an observation............

harwar
07-05-2007, 08:27 AM
He is either losing velocity because he is closer to 50 years of age than he lets on, or he is injured. I think it's a little of both. I'd love for Kenny to get something in return for Jose, but no GM worth his salt would give up any player with potential for such a huge question mark. One has to respect Jose Contreras for his role in the '05/'06 seasons, but I believe his time as a major league pitcher is coming to an end. His contract expires after '08 correct?

Yes,and what in the world are they going to do with him next year if they can't trade him.
If they had a senior league at the mlb level,both Contreras and Thome would be on it next year.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 08:29 AM

Jose is closer to collecting social security -- that's important.

eriqjaffe
07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Contreras hasn't been the same pitcher since he started having sciatica troubles around the All-Star break last year. Ultimately, the difference in him and Buehrle are what cost the Sox a return trip to the playoffs last year.

Contreras ERA W L SV SVO G GS CG IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
Pre-All Star 3.38 9 0 0 0 16 16 0 109.1 97 42 41 10 32 77 .237
Post-All Star 5.40 4 9 0 0 14 14 1 86.2 97 59 52 10 23 57 .279

Buehrle ERA W L SV SVO G GS CG IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
Pre-All Star 4.02 9 6 0 0 18 18 1 123.0 134 64 55 16 28 54 .279
Post-All Star 6.44 3 7 0 0 14 14 0 81.0 113 60 58 20 20 44 .343Buehrle clearly fixed whatever the heck went wrong with him last year, Contreras has not. This is the same erratic Contreras the Yankees unloaded, and the same erratic Contreras that the Sox had up until he suddenly turned it on in 2005. And it all started when he hurt his back.

hawkjt
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
thankfully we now get an 11 day break from jose starts.. could that give him enough time to regain some heat? best case is he comes out with a couple of good outings and the sox get some prospects for him..

He made a point of insisting that he was healthy after last nites game.. lets hope he is being totally truthful.

IowaSox1971
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Jose has been an inconsistent pitcher since coming to the major leagues. He never has put together an outstanding full season. Each year, he seems to have one good half-season and one bad half-season. Let's just hope that trend continues, because he's certainly due to have a good second half.

Foulke You
07-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I love Jose Contreras, especially for the gutsy way he pitched in the 2nd half of '05 and in the playoffs. However, I think it is time to part ways with him. Teams get desperate for pitching this time of year and I know some GM will want to take him for the playoff push. I was at the game last night and Jose was just laboring out there. He looks like he has aged 10 years since '05. He is working slow, pitching almost exclusively from the side arm slot, struggling with his command, and his pitches had no life out there. I don't think he broke 89mph on the gun once last night. He couldn't even fool horrible hitters like Patterson and Bynum.:(: The bad thing about him pitching so bad at this time of year is that it lowers his stock in trade value. Hopefully, he can have a good start again before July 31 and raise the scouts viewpoint of him right now.