PDA

View Full Version : The guy behind home plate?

soxinthecity
07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
It's gotta be way over 80 degrees at the Cell. So why is this guy wearing his Nascar M&M coat?

And if your gonna wear a coat at least get yourself something with a Sox logo on it

twentywontowin
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
This could be the only website where people fall in love with guys wearing a NASCAR jacket and if your name is Aaron.

IAS, the guy has been talked about several times on here. Someone else could shed more light on him, but from what I gathered, he is a pretty nice guy.

MCHSoxFan
07-04-2007, 11:37 PM
He is very nice!!!! His name is George. He wears it because he owns/runs/big guy working for M&M/MARS CO.

SOXandILLINI
07-04-2007, 11:38 PM
I thought you were referring to Toby Hall, perhaps the worst catcher i have ever seen. God, this team sucks in a big way.

CLR01
07-04-2007, 11:50 PM
This could be the only website where people fall in love with guys wearing a NASCAR jacket and if your name is Aaron.

IAS, the guy has been talked about several times on here. Someone else could shed more light on him, but from what I gathered, he is a pretty nice guy.

As soon as I saw the thread title the question of which of the two is more obsessed about here popped into my head.

Viva Medias B's
07-05-2007, 12:03 AM
He is very nice!!!! His name is George. He wears it because he owns/runs/big guy working for M&M/MARS CO.

He'd have to be a big shot at M8M/Mars in order to afford those seats 81 times a year.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I thought you were referring to Toby Hall, perhaps the worst catcher i have ever seen. God, this team sucks in a big way.

I wonder if playing through his injury might have something to do with it?

I hope Hall comes back fully healthy next year. He could have been a big piece to this team.

DumpJerry
07-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Let's see how well you play behind the plate with a torn Labrum. The Sox are stuck using him because there are no alternatives out there to giving AJ a day off now and then.

If there was a viable backup catcher out there when he went down, he would have taken the whole year off and rejoin the team next year.

JorgeFabregas
07-05-2007, 12:47 AM
I wonder if Hall is doing any permanent damage to his body by playing this year. I don't know anything about that stuff.

thomas35forever
07-05-2007, 12:55 AM
As long as we're on the topic of man love here, has anyone here fallen for the guy behind the first base dugout? You know, the guy who looks like something out of "All My Children"?

oeo
07-05-2007, 12:59 AM
I wonder if playing through his injury might have something to do with it?

I hope Hall comes back fully healthy next year. He could have been a big piece to this team.

Don't mind SOXandILLINI, it's not unusual for him to talk out of his ass.

Toby Hall has not gotten to play very much...add to the fact that he has a bad shoulder. In our list of problems, backup catcher is a ways down there.

EndemicSox
07-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Lets no give Toby a free pass, he could have kept himself in shape during rehab. If a torn labrum causes an individual to gain 30+ pounds, I take everything back.

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Don't mind SOXandILLINI, it's not unusual for him to talk out of his ass.

Toby Hall has not gotten to play very much...add to the fact that he has a bad shoulder. In our list of problems, backup catcher is a ways down there.

I love this board... :gulp:... Ok, it's not Toby's fault he's terrible, then whose fault is it, that he's in the lineup? KW or OG? because if there's no viable alternative, someone's at fault, and it sure as hell isn't me. Excuse this one away too.

Fenway
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I would rather look at the M&M guy than this face that is in the first row of every game at Fenway

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2006/05/01/1146542313_7164.jpg

DumpJerry
07-05-2007, 10:08 AM
I love this board... :gulp:... Ok, it's not Toby's fault he's terrible, then whose fault is it, that he's in the lineup? KW or OG? because if there's no viable alternative, someone's at fault, and it sure as hell isn't me. Excuse this one away too.
Maybe you've missed all those posts in this and other threads: there are no alternatives to Hall out there. Hall was healthy when he signed, he got hurt in ST. **** happens. Johnny Bench is too old to make a comeback, so is Fisk. Molina was not Big Show worthy. What do you suggest (realistically) the Sox do? Who can they sign or trade for who can backup AJ every now and then? What team is willing to give up a proven backup catcher when there is no easy replacement? Catcher is one of the hardest positions to fill.

It's easy to sit in the back of the room throwing bombs, its' another thing to come up with realistic solutions to the problem. Time to step up to the Plate, SOXandILLINI, and tell us what you think would work out better.

stacksedwards
07-05-2007, 10:10 AM
As long as we're on the topic of man love here, has anyone here fallen for the guy behind the first base dugout? You know, the guy who looks like something out of "All My Children"?

I see this guy too. He is a crafty veteran of Sox games

spiffie
07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Maybe you've missed all those posts in this and other threads: there are no alternatives to Hall out there. Hall was healthy when he signed, he got hurt in ST. **** happens. Johnny Bench is too old to make a comeback, so is Fisk. Molina was not Big Show worthy. What do you suggest (realistically) the Sox do? Who can they sign or trade for who can backup AJ every now and then? What team is willing to give up a proven backup catcher when there is no easy replacement? Catcher is one of the hardest positions to fill.

It's easy to sit in the back of the room throwing bombs, its' another thing to come up with realistic solutions to the problem. Time to step up to the Plate, SOXandILLINI, and tell us what you think would work out better.
Michael Barrett was available.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Hall is a great backup C if you want someone to hit against LHP a few days a week. Certainly in this division, with a LH hitting starting catcher, that's important. Hall hits well and plays ok defense (when healthy).

(some of) Our fans really suck. This need to ***** about absolutely everying this so tedious. Someone is griping about the Freddy trade. Someone else is griping about Toby Hall. Jeez...

TornLabrum
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
These message boards are starting to sound like The Score Light.

eriqjaffe
07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I had a bad feeling about this season when the Sox opted to bring Gustavo Molina along for the ride instead of Wiki Gonzalez.

Not that Gonzalez is a world-beater, but at least he has been known to hit the ball at the major league level at some point in his life. Molina, for the record, is currently hitting a buck eighty-three for Charlotte.

IMO, Hall rushed himself back from a serious injury (between him and Podsednik, this seems to be somewhat of a problem for the Sox), clearly isn't ready to play and should be shut down for the year. Have the damn labrum surgery and be ready for 2008. Accept the fact that Molina will never be able to hit his weight, and let Gonzalez play out the year as AJ's backup.

Ultimately, they'd be getting the same production if the Sox had just hung on to Widge.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I had a bad feeling about this season when the Sox opted to bring Gustavo Molina along for the ride instead of Wiki Gonzalez.

I hope you forgot your teal...

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 03:19 PM

You asked a direct question and I answered it. You may say Molina wasn't "big show" ready, but you mean to tell me Molina can't hit .170 and perhaps throw out an occasional runner? Cus Toby Hall sure as hell can't. Now if Toby came back to soon, fine, again find someone else to blame who gets paid to make such decisions, because once again , it sure as hell isn't me.

DumpJerry
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
You asked a direct question and I answered it. You may say Molina wasn't "big show" ready, but you mean to tell me Molina can't hit .170 and perhaps throw out an occasional runner? Cus Toby Hall sure as hell can't. Now if Toby came back to soon, fine, again find someone else to blame who gets paid to make such decisions, because once again , it sure as hell isn't me.
You might be right about Molina throwing out the occassional runner, but he did not get his first (and only) hit until his last game with the Sox. Hard to tell if he can get above .100 at the Plate. Also, Hall is more experienced at the ML level, so he might be more helpful with the pitching staff.

I think we can all agree on one thing: the backup catching situation is about as bad as it can be for us.

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
You might be right about Molina throwing out the occassional runner, but he did not get his first (and only) hit until his last game with the Sox. Hard to tell if he can get above .100 at the Plate. Also, Hall is more experienced at the ML level, so he might be more helpful with the pitching staff.

I think we can all agree on one thing: the backup catching situation is about as bad as it can be for us.

On this we can agree.

Over By There
07-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Back on topic, M&M Guy has started to get really annoying to me. I don't see how it's much different than the tools on their cellphones trying to get attention on TV. He just wears an obnoxious jacket for the same effect.

By the way, I have a strong suspicion he is in our midst. :?:

The Immigrant
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
I hope you forgot your teal...

AAA numbers

Molina: .183/.237/.257
Gonzales: .263/.306/.440

They're both Venezuelan, so at least that's a wash. :tongue:

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Back on topic, M&M Guy has started to get really annoying to me. I don't see how it's much different than the tools on their cellphones trying to get attention on TV. He just wears an obnoxious jacket for the same effect.

By the way, I have a strong suspicion he is in our midst. :?:

By what i'm reading, he wears it for some sort of advertising, and that is just good business.

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 03:35 PM
AAA numbers

Molina: .183/.237/.257
Gonzales: .263/.306/.440

You don't mean to imply.........:cool:

DumpJerry
07-05-2007, 03:36 PM
The nice thing about having Season Tickets is that I never have to see the annoying people we post about here.

I could not make a game recently and watched it on the television at home, it was weird seeing Comiskey on the television and having the Sox bat in the bottom half of the inning.

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2007, 03:40 PM

You don't mean to imply.........:cool:Let it drop. I can fire up the bannings very quickly.

MCHSoxFan
07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
He'd have to be a big shot at M8M/Mars in order to afford those seats 81 times a year.

Not only that, but he has had them from 2005. This maybe his last year, if he does not get them next season. He may not have to do that because United Scout Seats have to be bought for 3-5 years. He could have them for 5. Then, we will have to see him until 2010! :angry:? Or, :smile:?

Over By There
07-05-2007, 03:59 PM
By what i'm reading, he wears it for some sort of advertising, and that is just good business.

I don't care whether he works for M&M Mars, or really loves the way they taste, or thinks the jacket is haute couture, or is just a really super huge David Gilliland fan. I just find it annoying, same way I find the cellphone wagging doofuses annoying.

DumpJerry
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Not only that, but he has had them from 2005. This maybe his last year, if he does not get them next season. He may not have to do that because United Scout Seats have to be bought for 3-5 years. He could have them for 5. Then, we will have to see him until 2010! :angry:? Or, :smile:?
He could have locked in for 7 years. There is a Scout Seat holder in my office, that is my source.

MCHSoxFan
07-05-2007, 04:15 PM
He could have locked in for 7 years. There is a Scout Seat holder in my office, that is my source.

Thanks for the news. Just wondering, does he sit by him in 131S? If not, where? Thanks.

A.T. Money
07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
He has courtside Bulls tickets too. They showed him on TV in the Miami Heat series last year holding a sign. Wearing the same jacket.

MrT27
07-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I understand wearing the jacket for advertisement I guess, but its the summer! You think if he were a big guy w/ Mars/M&M's he could get a hold of a t-shirt or cap

MCHSoxFan
07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
He has courtside Bulls tickets too. They showed him on TV in the Miami Heat series last year holding a sign. Wearing the same jacket.

YEEEEESSS!!! I saw his head/shoulders from the 2nd level camera pit.
:D:

Hinrich
07-05-2007, 05:03 PM
I wonder if Hall is doing any permanent damage to his body by playing this year. I don't know anything about that stuff.

I have a torn labrum myself and once I have it fixed I won't be able to throw for 4 months. So the fact that Toby Hall is even playing blows my mind!

eriqjaffe
07-05-2007, 05:11 PM
You might be right about Molina throwing out the occassional runner, but he did not get his first (and only) hit until his last game with the Sox. Hard to tell if he can get above .100 at the Plate. Also, Hall is more experienced at the ML level, so he might be more helpful with the pitching staff.Molina can not hit. Through 2006 (over 1800 at-bats), he had a career .237 average and a career .652 OPS against minor-league (mostly Rookie and A-ball) pitching. The Sox said that the pitching staff "liked they way he handled them", which is so intangible that only Joe Morgan could love it.

While I'm certainly not going to say that Wiki Gonzalez is going to solve anything, I do believe he's a better option than either Molina or Hall at this point in time. He can't hit any worse than Molina, and he can't throw any worse than Hall. Best of both worlds!

ChiSoxFan7
07-06-2007, 12:42 AM
the m&m guy was (maybe is) on WSI, just in case you guys didn't know.

DumpJerry
07-06-2007, 01:24 AM
the m&m guy was (maybe is) on WSI, just in case you guys didn't know.
....and you think this is so because...........?

I know someone who sorta knows him. He's from Hinsdale. No connection with M&M Mars, by the way.

LongLiveFisk
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM

I don't know--I don't get the urge for M&Ms when I see him; I only get the urge to laugh at that jacket. :cool:

MCHSoxFan
07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't know--I don't get the urge for M&Ms when I see him; I only get the urge to laugh at that jacket. :cool:

:D: YEEEESSS!!!

ChiSoxFan7
07-07-2007, 12:54 AM
....and you think this is so because...........?

I know someone who sorta knows him. He's from Hinsdale. No connection with M&M Mars, by the way.

i was blessed with free scout seats from some work friends a while back and i posted it on here. He replied to my post and said to say hello to him (he was the guy in the M&M jacket.) But that was while ago so maybe im confusing the story...:redface:?