PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox form alliance with Japanese team

Southsider101
07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070704/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_red_sox_japan_2;_ylt=Ajvyi_3l7DYwizfW.oIdbvkE1 vAI

Interesting story? Fad or a real trend for MLB? Or is this just a Red Sox thing?

Fenway
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070704/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_red_sox_japan_2;_ylt=Ajvyi_3l7DYwizfW.oIdbvkE1 vAI

Interesting story? Fad or a real trend for MLB? Or is this just a Red Sox thing?

Got to admit Japan helping Boston in 2007

StepsInSC
07-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I like Bobby V., but this made me laugh out loud:

"Bobby Valentine's foresight, his vision, his knowledge of Japanese and American baseball is second to none," Shipley said.:rolleyes:

I'd imagine some minor leaguers wouldn't be a fan of this:

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said it's possible Red Sox minor leaguers could go to Japan.

chaerulez
07-05-2007, 01:27 AM
I'd imagine some minor leaguers wouldn't be a fan of this:

Why not? It's a higher level of play "AAAA" ball as people like to call it. And you play in front of bigger crowds, major league type atmosphere. As long as it's going to the actual Japanese major league, if I were a minor league I wouldn't mind playing a season or two there.

StepsInSC
07-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Why not? It's a higher level of play "AAAA" ball as people like to call it. And you play in front of bigger crowds, major league type atmosphere. As long as it's going to the actual Japanese major league, if I were a minor league I wouldn't mind playing a season or two there.

Well I feel the same way, but I just meant that there are probably many in pro ball who would not want to get sent to Japan, which is probably one of the toughest industrialized countries for Americans to adjust to. Perhaps I'm misjudging.

Fenway
07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
In need of help, team calls on the Marines (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/07/05/in_need_of_help_team_calls_on_the_marines)

Though it might not bring them players directly, the alliance between the Red Sox and Chiba Lotte Marines, announced Tuesday night before a press conference yesterday afternoon, should give the Red Sox a chance to work with the Japanese team on scouting methods and information, as well as statistical analysis.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Why are the White Sox not doing this? Ondafarm, which Japanese team do you recommend the White Sox approach to ask about an alliance?

eriqjaffe
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Given NPB's past concerns about becoming a glorified minor league, I don't really see why they'd like more of these alliances to be made.

Fenway
07-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Given NPB's past concerns about becoming a glorified minor league, I don't really see why they'd like more of these alliances to be made.

Owners are owners........

The Lions got 2 years of payroll paid by the Red Sox posting fee..........which was a billion yen

eriqjaffe
07-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Owners are owners........

The Lions got 2 years of payroll paid by the Red Sox posting fee..........which was a billion yenTherefore, the White Sox will strike an alliance with whatever NPB team is the cheapest, timidest and stupidest.

chitownhawkfan
07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Well I feel the same way, but I just meant that there are probably many in pro ball who would not want to get sent to Japan, which is probably one of the toughest industrialized countries for Americans to adjust to. Perhaps I'm misjudging.

Just send them over with a copy of "Mr. Baseball" and everything will be fine.