PDA

View Full Version : Unsigned Draftees

Mr. White Sox
07-04-2007, 01:37 PM
After glancing at the Baseball America Draft Report, I noticed the White Sox haven't signed four of their first 11 draft picks: Nevin Griffith (2nd round), Kenny Gilbert (9th Round), Brian Gunn (10th round), Jordan Kendall (11th round).

Any reason why these guys (especially Griffith) haven't been signed yet? Were there signability concerns with them beforehand? Or, is this a normal window of time after the draft where guys are still getting signed? I noticed that a bunch of first rounders are yet to be signed, so maybe this is still fine in the scheme of things. I have no concept of the window where guys "normally" are signed after the draft, so any info would be appreciated.

champagne030
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
After glancing at the Baseball America Draft Report, I noticed the White Sox haven't signed four of their first 11 draft picks: Nevin Griffith (2nd round), Kenny Gilbert (9th Round), Brian Gunn (10th round), Jordan Kendall (11th round).

Any reason why these guys (especially Griffith) haven't been signed yet? Were there signability concerns with them beforehand? Or, is this a normal window of time after the draft where guys are still getting signed? I noticed that a bunch of first rounders are yet to be signed, so maybe this is still fine in the scheme of things. I have no concept of the window where guys "normally" are signed after the draft, so any info would be appreciated.

Things are completely different this season. The "draft and follow" has been eliminated. Drafted players must by signed by August 15th or they go back into next years draft.

jabrch
07-04-2007, 05:35 PM

This is expected - in 6 weeks we will have much more information about who is signing and who will go unsigned.

California Sox
07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
These are all high school players. It is possible the Sox will have to go a bit above slot to sign them. If that's the case they could be wainting until the end of the signing period so as to make it easier not to upset Selig by going above slot. That said, the Sox have had a very record lately of signing mid-round high school talent. Hodges and Veal are a couple of names that would look good in our organization right about now.

Guinn was expected to be a tough sign and I'm sure Griffith is upset he went lower than expected. Still, if the Sox don't sign at least three of these four, it will be yet another disappointment for an organization that needs a talent infusion.

California Sox
07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Sox signed Nevin Griffith today. He will report to Bristol.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070705&content_id=2069314&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

champagne030
07-05-2007, 11:11 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070705&content_id=2069314&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Very good news.

jabrch
07-06-2007, 12:31 AM

That's big. Glad we were able to get that done. Our top 8 picks are signed. Now we have a few HS kids to focus on (Gilbert, Guinn, Delaney, Patterson) getting done.

UserNameBlank
07-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Very nice to see Griffith signed. He's the best looking pick in our draft IMO.