LR- G Gonzalez
RR Bobby Jenks

trades I would make
Thome & Contreras to the Angels for Brandon Wood,Howie Kendrick and E Santana
Garland to the Redsox for Ellsbury and Bucholz
Vazquez & Uribe to the Braves for Saltamacchia

DSpivack
07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
How'd this team turn out? Since I assume it was on your ps2.

aryzner
07-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Josh Fields DH? Seriously? :?:

jabrch
07-04-2007, 12:12 PM
trades I would make

I don't think any of those teams would make those deals, much less all of them.

Rockabilly
07-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Josh Fields DH? Seriously? :?:

Crede isnt going anywhere next year and I want Fields bat in the lineup

Noneck
07-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Crede isn't going anywhere? Crede at Dh is a possible stretch tho. At this point we don't even know if he will ever be able to or is allowed to play again. And good luck dumping Thome unless a large amount of his contract is eaten. Finally your lineup looks a little pricey, I guess you are prepared for large ticket and concession increases.

I just noticed that rotation, They are going to have to score alot of runs or that unproven rotation will have to all pan out. And maybe if Thome can be dumped without having to pick up a large portion of salary, it won't be as pricey as i thought.

DeadMoney
07-04-2007, 12:39 PM
E Santana

No Thanks! Ever see his stats away from his home park? Link (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1624587#post1624587)

This gives me an opportunity to display some dirt on Ervin Santana. Take a look at his Home/Road ERA splits, which have become a trend over his career:
2007 (excluding tonight)
Home: 3.42 ERA
Road: 7.53 ERA
Home: 3.02 ERA
Road: 5.95 ERA
Career
Home: 3.16 ERA; per-9's: 6.25 K/9, 2.70 BB/9, 7.80 H/9, 0.74 HR/9
Road: 6.72 ERA; per-9's: 6.74 K/9, 3.78 BB/9, 10.52 H/9, 1.84 HR/9

This guy just downright stinks on the road.

EMachine10
07-04-2007, 12:52 PM
that's a nice lookin fantasy team. but unfortunately, the White Sox don't play in Yahoo! Fantasy Sports league. I like your spirit, though. I guess we could only hope for a team like that

upperdeckusc
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
My lineup would be
1 Luis Castillo 2B
2 Aaron Rowand RF
3 Torrii Hunter CF
4 Paul Konerko 1B
5 AJ Pierzynski C
6 Joe Crede 3B
7 Josh Fields DH
8 Corey Patterson LF
9 Brandon Wood SS

Bench- R Sweeney OF, J Ellsbury OF P Ozuna Utily, H Kendrick , J Saltamacchia C

Rotation
M Buehrle
J Danks
C Bucholz
G Floyd
E Santana

Bullpen
LR- B Logan
LR M Thornton
RR- N Masset
RR- D Aardsma
LR- G Gonzalez
RR Bobby Jenks

trades I would make

hmmm, i wonder how studs like salty, ellsbury, and kendrick would feel about being stuck on our bench for most of the year. *****

Frontman
07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
And your bullpen is basically the same guys we have now?

No thank you. Had enough of watching 5 run leads disappearing at the drop of a hat.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
My 2008 White Sox would have a bullpen that can actually hold leads and save games. (I think that's what a bullpen is supposed to do...)

My 2008 White Sox would have some actual balance in the offense instead of nothing but station to station, home run or nothing, base clogging sluggers who generally need two more hits to score when they get on base.

Lip

upperdeckusc
07-04-2007, 01:07 PM
And your bullpen is basically the same guys we have now?

No thank you. Had enough of watching 5 run leads disappearing at the drop of a hat.

lol haha i know. im sure somewhere in ur wacky world of trades you could spin off something to get linebrink and shields and broxton. c'mon i know you got it in you!

oeo
07-04-2007, 01:43 PM
hmmm, i wonder how studs like salty, ellsbury, and kendrick would feel about being stuck on our bench for most of the year. *****

I wonder how we even got them...

DSpivack
07-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I wonder how we even got them...http://205.155.126.101/scott/LovinMagic.jpg

soxfanreggie
07-04-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think you're going to see all those trades. Maybe a couple of those guys end up here somehow, but that's a lot of turnover you have there. Plus, with the offensive production Thome gives us, I'm not so sure I want to lose him as a DH.

Flight #24
07-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Precursors:

- Resign Buehrle, give him the fricking NTC (+$5M/yr in payroll)
- Contreras to Mets for Milledge (-$10M/yr in payroll
- Dye to LA for Billingsley, Broxton, or other relief arm (-$7M/yr in payroll)
- Podsednik to some team for B prospects (-$3M in payroll)
- Resign Tadahito for $5M (+$3M/yr in payroll)
- Assume Crede gets no raise in arbitration. As soon as he's healthy, play him and deal him for prospects.
- Cut/trade Uribe (-$5M in payroll)
- Cut Mack or trade for B-list prospects (-$3M)
Starting point: -$20M in payroll

- Sign ARod for $25M/yr
- Trade 1 of Gio/Floyd, 1 of Sisco/Masset/Haeger/Broadway, and 1 of Anderson/Milledge to Tampa for Carl Crawford. If necessary, throw in B prospects from Pods trade (~+$5M in payroll)
- Sign a vet RP for ~$3M

Net increase in payroll: ~$13M. Once Crede's dealt it becomes ~$7M.

Rotation: Buehrle-Garland-Vazquez-Danks-Gio/Floyd

Bullpen: Jenks-Thornton-Billingsley/Broxton-Vet RP-Masset-One of Sisco/Haeger/Broadway/MacDougal

Batting Order: Crawford (LF)-Iguchi (2B)-ARod (SS)-Thome (DH)-Konerko (1B)-AJ (C)-Fields (3B)-Sweeney (RF)-Milledge/Anderson (CF). Crede slots into 3B and Fields bumps to the OF until Joe's traded (or if they're doing well enough and decide to keep him)

Bench: Erstad, Gonzalez, Terrero/Owens, Hall, Ozuna

gobears1987
07-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Crede isn't coming back next year. I'm sorry, but I have a cousin who had the same exact injury and surgery. His career is over. At best, he can become a bench player.

Noneck
07-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Precursors:

- Trade 1 of Gio/Floyd, 1 of Sisco/Masset/Haeger/Broadway, and 1 of Anderson/Milledge to Tampa for Carl Crawford. If necessary, throw in B prospects from Pods trade (~+$5M in payroll)

No way , No Chance LA will trade any of these pitchers in the next month. Teams in the hunt don't trade pitchers.

I think Crawford will demand alot more than what you propose.

Also you forgot to add in Thomes increase in salary next year into your salary equation. (Sox don't get any help from the phillys next year)

Finally, you are proposing an increase of 13m in salaries next year (altho it will be higher because of Thome). Tell me, Why would you think the Sox would increase salaries by 15% with a 15% drop in attendance? Are you proposing a 30% increase in ticket prices and concessions?

Flight #24
07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
No way , No Chance LA will trade any of these pitchers in the next month. Teams in the hunt don't trade pitchers.

I think Crawford will demand alot more than what you propose.

Also you forgot to add in Thomes increase in salary next year into your salary equation. (Sox don't get any help from the phillys next year)

Finally, you are proposing an increase of 13m in salaries next year (altho it will be higher because of Thome). Tell me, Why would you think the Sox would increase salaries by 15% with a 15% drop in attendance? Are you proposing a 30% increase in ticket prices and concessions?

If it's not LA, get a similar relief prospect from another team. I'm going strictly off of what I've seen in various media outlets about Dye trades, I have no direct knowledge of what LA would trade. For CC, that's 1 excellent SP prospect, another very good SP prospect, and a good CF prospect. I don't think they'll get better if they deal him. But if they hold onto him, the Sox would have to find another leadoff guy or try to make do with Iguchi. Or you platoon Erstad and let him & Iguchi trade off at the top of the order.

MLB4U (http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=Chicago%20White%20Sox)Disput es your statement on Thome: James Howard Thome (http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=837): 6-Year worth 85M- will make in 2003- 9.5M + 10M singing bonus, in 2004- 10.5M, in 2005- 11.5M, in 2006- 12.5M (+ 2.5M of the 10M signing bonus), and in 2007 and 2008- 14M and in 2009- Team option worth 13M or 3M buyout- + received 50K for 2004 All-Star- + he has a complete NO-TRADE clause- + the 2009 option can become guaranteed with a certain number of PA- + waived no-trade caluse to approve a deal to CHW on 11/23/05- + 22M of remaining 46M on his contract at time of trade that sends him to CHW is paid by PHI ($5.5M each season in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009)

As for payroll, Crede's $$ is temporary, they just can't deal him now and the alternative is to cut him. My assumption is that JR would finance a bit of his salary to provide the opportunity to get value out of him. I also assume that the PR bump from acquiring ARod will be worth the $7M, not counting the significantly increased likelihood of postseason.

QCIASOXFAN
07-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I want Corey Patterson as far away from my team as possible thank you.

Noneck
07-04-2007, 06:12 PM
If it's not LA, get a similar relief prospect from another team. I'm going strictly off of what I've seen in various media outlets about Dye trades, I have no direct knowledge of what LA would trade. For CC, that's 1 excellent SP prospect, another very good SP prospect, and a good CF prospect. I don't think they'll get better if they deal him. But if they hold onto him, the Sox would have to find another leadoff guy or try to make do with Iguchi. Or you platoon Erstad and let him & Iguchi trade off at the top of the order.

MLB4U (http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=Chicago%20White%20Sox)Disput es your statement on Thome:

As for payroll, Crede's $$ is temporary, they just can't deal him now and the alternative is to cut him. My assumption is that JR would finance a bit of his salary to provide the opportunity to get value out of him. I also assume that the PR bump from acquiring ARod will be worth the $7M, not counting the significantly increased likelihood of postseason.

It will be very difficult getting any established pitching for Dye in the next month. Only teams that are in the hunt would want Dye at the end of a free agency year and they don't give up established pitching.

I would consider Gio/Floyd and maybe Broadway as good prospects and Masset,Haeger as fair. Sisco? At one time was a good prospect but not now. If Anderson was a marketable commodity he would be gone by now. Milledge is an interesting case, maybe you are right about him but if you are then he'll be taken in your CC deal and we are left with Anderson in center and that won't happen with the current administration.

Thanks for the info on Thome, I hope that site is correct.

I don't want to sound like a jerk here but my point is , The Sox are going to cut payroll next year and any roster that doesn't include a cut in payroll is just a dream.

Zisk77
07-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I'll bite:

1b Konerko
2b Luis Castillo (FA)
SS Uribe
3b Crede
Dh Thome
LF Fields
CF Carl Crawford (Via Javy + A prospects trade)
Rf Ichiro (FA)
C Pierzynski

Rotation:

Beurhle (re-signed)
Garland
Danks
Pelphrey (Via Dye-Iguchi-Contreras trade)
Gonzalez or Huber or Russell or Masset or whoever emerges

Bullpen:
Logan
Thornton
Jenks
Aardsma
Massett
and Fa, Fa

Bench:
Terrero, Ozuna, Gonzalez, Sweeney, and catcher

areilly
07-05-2007, 03:21 AM
I'd like a team that looks like this:

1B Pujols '03
2B Sandberg '90
SS Alex Rodriguez '01
3B Wade Boggs '87
C Mike Piazza '97
LF Nevermind, as usual I can't finish this with a straight face. Make it happen! In Kenny we trust!

crazyozzie02
07-05-2007, 05:18 AM
I'll bite:

1b Konerko
2b Luis Castillo (FA)
SS Uribe
3b Crede
Dh Thome
LF Fields
CF Carl Crawford (Via Javy + A prospects trade)
Rf Ichiro (FA)
C Pierzynski

Rotation:

Beurhle (re-signed)
Garland
Danks
Pelphrey (Via Dye-Iguchi-Contreras trade)
Gonzalez or Huber or Russell or Masset or whoever emerges

Bullpen:
Logan
Thornton
Jenks
Aardsma
Massett
and Fa, Fa

Bench:
Terrero, Ozuna, Gonzalez, Sweeney, and catcher

Never EVER would i want Konerko in the 1 slot. I would rather make myself sit through 1000 straight cubs games at wrigley than ever see that. :puking:Hopefully you just messed up the batting order, cause you also have uribe at 3 and crawford at 7. Bullpen would suck. Its the same as this years. Bench is meh. Rotation wouldnt be that good.

Parrothead
07-05-2007, 07:45 AM
They would look the same as they do now, I love the uniforms.:cool:

TheOldRoman
07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Never EVER would i want Konerko in the 1 slot. I would rather make myself sit through 1000 straight cubs games at wrigley than ever see that. :puking:Hopefully you just messed up the batting order, cause you also have uribe at 3 and crawford at 7. Bullpen would suck. Its the same as this years. Bench is meh. Rotation wouldnt be that good.
That isn't the batting order, he is just telling you who plays where.

Zisk77
07-05-2007, 10:11 AM

C'mon Paulie has fresh legs and could steal 100 easy. That obviously was just the positions they play. Lots of possible line-up combinations though.

Lead-off: Ichiro or Crawford or Castillo.

2nd batter any of the above or even a lefty like A.J. to utilize hole between 1st & 2nd base with a runner on.

3-Hole - Thome or Crawford or Konerko

9th - Castillo or Uribe or Fields

Bullpen.... I'm assuming we'd add it to it but too hard to predict who that would be.

Bench is a guess but I really like Terrero and Andy is proving his worth.

3/5 of the rotation would be good, the other 2 spots would be the ? assuming someone comes over in trade or signs as a free agent as a decent 5th starter.

broker3d
07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Let me throw out a name for the leadoff spot that I think would be an absolute perfect choice: Brian Roberts. Obviously this would come from a trade. How would this get done? I have no idea but we are dealing with a team in Baltimore that has no direction and may look to take on some young talent for him. He is hitting .325 and has 26 SB's.

Just thinking out loud here:

1. Brian Roberts (2B)
2. Jack Wilson (SS)
3. Carl Crawford (LF)
4. Paul Konerko (1B)
5. Jim Thome (DH)
6. Aaron Rowand (CF)
7. AJ Pierzynski (C)
8. Josh Fields (3B)
9. Ryan Sweeney (RF)

Personally, I think Crawford is better suited as a #3 instead of leadoff. I love the gritty style of Jack Wilson.

Rotation:

Trade Contreras for whatever you can get to remove the contract.

Buehrle
Garland
Vazquez
Danks
Gio/Floyd

jabrch
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
1. Brian Roberts (2B)
3. Carl Crawford (LF)

I'd love both of those guys - but I don't think we have the firepower to trade for both of them without totally draining our farm system. The Rays have held off on trading Crawford so far. He is so cheap (5mm, 8mm and 10mm the next three years) that I can't see Tampa moving him.

I'd give up a lot for him. I just don't know that we would be able to pull that off. If Tampa puts him up for trade, they will find lots of bidders willing to pay top $.

(By the way, Crawfords contract does have full NTC, but it does have an escalator clause where if he is traded, he makes more money per year.)

russ99
07-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Most of the posters either think Jerry's keeping the payroll at 100 million or the Sox can get much better players in trades that they likely will. This is a lot more realistic:

1- SS -David Eckstein
2- LF - Brian Sweeney
3- DH - Jim Thome
4- 1B - Paul Konerko
5- CF - Mike Cameron
6- 3B - Josh Fields (Crede if healthy)
7- C - A.J. Pierzynski
8- RF - Andy Gonzalez or young outfielder in trade for Dye/Contereras/Iguchi
9- 2B - Danny Richar

Bench: Scott Podesdnik/Darin Erstad (whichever they can resign cheap and start the year healthy)
Bench: Toby Hall (2 year deal, right?)
Bench: Pablo Ozuna
Bench: Young outfielder in trade for Dye/Contereras/Iguchi or Andy Gonzalez
Bench: FA bench infielder (Mackowiak & Cintron are gone)

SP - Mark Buehrle (Kenny get it done!)
SP - Jon Garland
SP - Javy Vazquez
SP - John Danks
SP - Lance Broadway

CL - Bobby Jenks
SU - Scott Linebrink
SU - Boone Logan
RP - Adam Russell/rh free agent acq.
RP - Matt Thornton/lh free agent acq.
LR/SS - Nick Masset

broker3d
07-05-2007, 11:46 AM
1- SS -David Eckstein
2- LF - Brian Sweeney
3- DH - Jim Thome
4- 1B - Paul Konerko
5- CF - Mike Cameron
7- C - A.J. Pierzynski
9- 2B - Danny Richar

That would a MONSTER disappointment!!!

ChiSoxlukes
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
1 Ichiro RF
2 Richar/ Jason Bourgeois (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jason%20Bourgeois&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=430652) 2B
3 Pauly 1B
4 Thome? DH
5 Hunter/Rowand CF
6 Crede 3B
7 AJ C
8 Fields/Sweeney LF
9 Vizquel/Eckstein SS

Garland
Vazquez
Danks
Floyd
Gio/Massett/Broadway/Egbert

Bench- Ozuna, Terrero, Gonzalez,

russ99
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
That would a MONSTER disappointment!!!

Kenny/Jerry might roll the dice on bringing in A-Rod to sell tickets, but I really don't see Reinsdorf approving a budget increase to sign all the FAs you guys think he will or the market miraculously "correcting itself" as Kenny seems to think. Cameron and Eckstein will be reasonably priced. Rowand will cost 7-9 million a season, Torii 9-11 and Ichiro 12-15.

Also, except for Vazquez, who do the Sox really have to deal outside of half-season rentals (and pitching prospects the Sox will need to reload) to acquire such solid players like Roberts, Young, Crawford, etc. in trades?

kittle42
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Kenny/Jerry might roll the dice on bringing in A-Rod to sell tickets, but I really don't see Reinsdorf approving a budget increase to sign all the FAs you guys think he will or the market miraculously "correcting itself" as Kenny seems to think. Cameron and Eckstein will be reasonably priced. Rowand will cost 7-9 million a season, Torii 9-11 and Ichiro 12-15.

Also, except for Vazquez, who do the Sox really have to deal outside of half-season rentals (and pitching prospects the Sox will need to reload) to acquire such solid players like Roberts, Young, Crawford, etc. in trades?

Finally, someone here making a roster based on the usual Sox spending mentality. Of course, you then get knocked for it being "disappointing." Well, that's what they do best!

johnr1note
07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
This thread is starting to look like the typical Cubs fan wish list for their team.

Noneck
07-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Most of the posters either think Jerry's keeping the payroll at 100 million or the Sox can get much better players in trades that they likely will. This is a lot more realistic:

1- SS -David Eckstein
2- LF - Brian Sweeney
3- DH - Jim Thome
4- 1B - Paul Konerko
5- CF - Mike Cameron
7- C - A.J. Pierzynski
9- 2B - Danny Richar

Bench: Scott Podesdnik/Darin Erstad (whichever they can resign cheap and start the year healthy)

SP - Jon Garland
SP - Javy Vazquez
SP - John Danks
SP - Lance Broadway

CL - Bobby Jenks
SU - Scott Linebrink
SU - Boone Logan
LR/SS - Nick Masset

This is more like what we will probably see. I am expecting a 15% attendance drop which will correlate in a a 15% salary cut(85m). Forget the Arod and Suzuki stuff, unless they want to play on a total rebuilding team without 2 out of these 3, Paulie, Burls and Garland and a similar roster to the one you posted.

DeadMoney
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
2- LF - Brian Sweeney

Is that a combination or Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson, or is it this guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7211) (who would need to move from RP to LF, and might face a difficult transition process)?

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
My 2008 White Sox would have a bullpen that can actually hold leads and save games. (I think that's what a bullpen is supposed to do...)

My 2008 White Sox would have some actual balance in the offense instead of nothing but station to station, home run or nothing, base clogging sluggers who generally need two more hits to score when they get on base.

Lip

Mine too. I don't think the Sox have to break the bank to sign a bunch of overpriced free agents, either. Please note that I understand how the market works. By "overpriced," I mean long-term, high-dollar contracts given to players who will be in sharp decline by the end of the deal. Nevertheless, I would sign two free agents from other teams and retain one of our own to build my version of the 2008 Sox:

RF: Ichiro (free agent)
CF: Anderson/Sweeney
LF: Dye (signs for less $ after a down year)
1B: Kotchman (it wouldn't be a Frater post without trading PK for him & Shields) :tongue:
2B: Eckstein (free agent)
SS: Uribe
3B: Crede or Fields
C: AJ
DH: Thome
Bench: Hall, Anderson/Sweeney, Richar, Gonzalez, Erstad

SP: Buehrle, Garland, Danks, Vazquez, 1 among Masset/Floyd/Gio/Haeger
RP: Jenks, Shields, Thornton, Logan (LOOGY), MacDougal, 1 of Masset/Sisco/Aardsma/Floyd/Gio/Haeger/Russell/Broadway

Ichiro and Eckstein both can lead off and generate runs all by themselves, but together at the top of the order provide plenty of RBI oportunities for a 3-4-5-6 of Kotchman, Thome, Dye and AJ. The 7-8-9 is Crede or Fields, Anderson/Sweeney and Uribe. Against LHP, Thome sits and Dye is the DH, thus protecting both.

The OF defense is stronger with Ichiro and BA, and Dye in LF. Most others will disagree, but I'm willing to put up with what BA and Uribe produced in 2006 if it means their defense is on the field. After all, the 2006 Sox offense scored a lot of runs despite Anderson and Uribe and Pods struggling.

Also, my plan admittedly does not consider who the Sox would get back from trading Contreras and Iguchi. I'd shoot for solid veteran relievers who could bump the weakest pitchers back to Charlotte and middle infield prospects who could help in 2009.

Foulke You
07-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I want Corey Patterson as far away from my team as possible thank you.
Amen to that. Just what we need, another guy with speed and great tools hitting .217 for us. We have a guy like already and his name is Jerry Owens.

pythons007
07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Well since most of these posts are a pipedream. Here is my 08 team.

C Mauer
1B Pujols
2B Utley
3B A-Rod
SS J. Reyes
LF Crawford
CF Ichiro
RF Griffey
DH Ortiz

Bench Figgins, Konerko, and Ozuna

SP Santana, Peavy, Halladay, Oswalt, Carpenter

RP Putz, Nathan, Rivera, Wagner, Hoffman

Getr done KW!

esbrechtel
07-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I wouldnt mind eckstien playing 2b for the sox...however pythons I think your team is BEYOND a pipe dream...I dont think kenny could make that work on PS2 or in Yahoo fantasy league, Your team looks like an allstar team....:rolleyes:

PennStater98r
07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Well since most of these posts are a pipedream. Here is my 08 team.

C Mauer
1B Pujols
2B Utley
3B David Wright
SS A-Rod
LF Crawford
CF Beltran
RF Ichiro
DH Ortiz

Bench Figgins, Man-Ram, and Ozuna

SP Santana, Peavy, Halladay, Oswalt, Chris Young

RP Satio, Nathan, Soriano, Wagner, Hoffman

Getr done KW!

Fixed a couple of things in there for you.

RCWHITESOX
07-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Precursors:

- Assume Crede gets no raise in arbitration. As soon as he's healthy, play him and deal him for prospects.

- Sign ARod for $25M/yr
- Sign a vet RP for ~$3M

Bullpen: Jenks-Thornton-Billingsley/Broxton-Vet RP-Masset-One of Sisco/Haeger/Broadway/MacDougal

Batting Order: Crawford (LF)-Iguchi (2B)-ARod (SS)-Thome (DH)-Konerko (1B)-AJ (C)-Fields (3B)-Sweeney (RF)-Milledge/Anderson (CF). Crede slots into 3B and Fields bumps to the OF until Joe's traded (or if they're doing well enough and decide to keep him)

Fire Kenny If you can make all that happen I say sign you up what do we need Kenny for. If you can find time would you please renegotiate my contract.

russ99
07-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Is that a combination or Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson, or is it this guy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7211) (who would need to move from RP to LF, and might face a difficult transition process)?

Whoop - I always confuse those two Sweeneys: Brian/Ryan.. :D:

Lukin13
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Precursors:

- Sign ARod for $25M/yr
- Sign a vet RP for ~$3M

I like the effort but the biggest holdup that I see is the Dye for Billingsly and Broxton....

I am not certain but I am guessing the Dodgers wouldn't trade one of those two straight up for JD, let alone both of them.

soxwon
07-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Im up for being the new manager,
Your 2008-A, White soxA
Your Manager Da Reverand
Welcome to Faith-a ball!!!!

the 2008 major league faithaball season.

Craig Grebeck
07-05-2007, 07:31 PM
A.J.
Kong
Richar
Maicer Izturis
Fields
Quentin
Anderson
Fukudome

Buehrle
Vazquez
Jennings
Danks
Floyd

Masset
Bootcheck
Logan
Juan Cruz
MacDougal
Jenks

Garland/Aardsma to AZ for Caros Quentin, Mark Reynolds, and Juan Cruz

Sweeney to LAA for Maicer Izturis and Chris Bootcheck

Sign Fukudome for 3 years 43 million and a team option for 16 million

Sign Jennings for 3 years 35 million

Sign Buehrle for 4 years 56 million

Trade Contreras, Crede, and cut ties with Uribe. I'll calculate the budget later, but I'm tired as hell.

P.S. I know I'll catch hell for this, but I don't like Sweeney. Jeff Abbott, IMO.

Scottiehaswheels
07-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Dunno if anyone has already mentioned this but maybe take a look at Mark Loretta for a super sub job for '08? He signed a one year deal with the Astro's for 2.5 mil and he's playing just about everyday now... hitting .329 OBP of .407

Lip Man 1
07-06-2007, 01:08 PM
There have been a few notations in a few of the newspapers the past few days that the Sox top off season target will be Ichiro.

Don't know where this came from just noting the mention.

I've also seen blurbs where Rowand will be the second priority because Jones wants to much money and Hunter will wind up either with the Yankees or Rangers.

Lip

Foulke You
07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Dunno if anyone has already mentioned this but maybe take a look at Mark Loretta for a super sub job for '08? He signed a one year deal with the Astro's for 2.5 mil and he's playing just about everyday now... hitting .329 OBP of .407
I wouldn't mind having Mark Loretta. He is a very underrated hitter although I don't know too much about his defense. What is considered his natural position and is he any good at it?

GregO23
07-07-2007, 04:34 AM
I guess ill do this even though i think its stupid and way to early, since i really have no clue on what we can get for Contreas and Dye at this point.

2B Castillo
CF Rowand
DH Thome
1B Konerko
C AJP
LF Kemp
3B Fields/Crede
RF Sweeney
SS Uribe or Vizquel(if he dont retire i want him for a year)
( i dont really want uribe, but he looks to be the cheapest option )

4OF/1B-Erstad
LF/3B/2B-Ozuna
C Hall
2B/SS/3B/OF-Andy Gonzelez
3B Crede

#1 Buehrle
#2 Garland
#3 Vasquez
#4 Billingsly
#5 Danks
LR-Masset
MR-Logan
MR-MacDougal(if he can get his ERA down to atleast 5)
SU-Thornton
SU-Linebrink(will he really leave after hoffman retires?)
CL-Jenks

this season
trade Contreas/Iguchi/Dye for Kemp/Billingsly
---------------------------
offseason
sign Castillo for 2 year, 7M
sign Linebrink for 3 year, 3.5M
sign Rowand for 4 year, 10M
sign Vizquel for 1 year, 1.5M option for 2nd
-----------------------------------------
next season
trade vasquez/garland/jennings to make room for Gio once he is ready and floyd and danks are established

If Arod wants to come, we get him nomatter what it takes :smile:

gr8mexico
07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
If the Sox want to make money next year this is the way to do it with out getting Arod.
1.Ichiro(CF)
2.Iguchi(2B)
3.Thome(DH)
4.Konerko(1B)
5.Kosuke Fukudome(RF)
6.Crede(3B)
7.A.J(C)
8.David Eckstein(ss)
9.Fields/Sweeney(LF)

Starters
1.Mark Buehrle
2.Jon Garland
3.Javier Vazquez
4.Gio Gonzalez/Lance Broadway
5.John Danks
Trade Contreras & Juan Uribe
The White Sox would be making extra money from all the Japanese fans over sea.

GregO23
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
If the Sox want to make money next year this is the way to do it with out getting Arod.
1.Ichiro(CF)
2.Iguchi(2B)
3.Thome(DH)
4.Konerko(1B)
5.Kosuke Fukudome(RF)
6.Crede(3B)
7.A.J(C)
8.David Eckstein(ss)
9.Fields/Sweeney(LF)

Starters
1.Mark Buehrle
2.Jon Garland
3.Javier Vazquez
4.Gio Gonzalez/Lance Broadway
5.John Danks
Trade Contreras & Juan Uribe
The White Sox would be making extra money from all the Japanese fans over sea.

3 japanese players? That seems somewhat crazy, dont you think? I dont know if I wanna pay Fukudome so much money for never playing the the big leagues before. I rather have a proven Rowand in CF(rather than Fukudome) and move ichiro back to RF.

russ99
07-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't mind having Mark Loretta. He is a very underrated hitter although I don't know too much about his defense. What is considered his natural position and is he any good at it?

Mark Loretta is a prototypical #2 hitter, though the Astros have him batting 3rd/6th most of the time, since Pence established himself as an everyday player.

The Astros initially signed him to be a super-sub, but he's played his way into the regular lineup.

Loretta's bat is much better than his defense, but he's very good at 2B, decent at 3B, the Astros currently have him starting at SS (since Everett's injured) and he hasn't played there for a few seasons but is doing OK so far. He also plays 1B, but the Astros have better options (Berkman/Lamb) there.

Mark's games played by position 2007: 1B-11, 2B-32, 3B-19, SS-26, DH-1

The Astros would be very foolish not to re-sign him for next season, (he'd be perfect to take over for Biggio if he retires) and I'd be surprised if Loretta or the Astros didn't have an option for next season. He also turned down a larger deal elsewhere (I heard SD) to return and play for the Astros.

He went to school at Northwestern, so he might be interested in playing in Chicago.

Lillian
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't think that K.W. is planning on spending a lot of money on a free agent second baseman, including bringing Iguchi back. Although if he were to give us a "home town discount", he could be back. It seems more likely that the Sox will plug one of several youngsters into that hole. Richar leads the list, followed by Jason Burgeois and Cris Getz. Andy Gonzales is more likely slated for our new "super utility" guy. We have too much payroll dedicated to our bench, and Andy could offer some relief there.

Doesn't it make more sense to try to keep the core of this team together for at least one more year, while we have such a good starting rotation? If so, here is a way that we might be able to piece a contender together:

Resign Dye to a one year extension, and give him a chance to have a good year, which would improve his chances of signing the big F. A. deal.

Bring back Rowand with a "home town discount". I think he really wants to play here, especially if we could keep his old pals, Crede, and A.J.

Get a speedy short stop who could lead off, and play good defense. Maybe that should be the target of a Contreras trade.

Let Iguchi, Uribe, Pods walk.

Keep Ozuna, Erstad, as bench guys.

Left field could be filled by any number of guys, including Fields, Sweeney, etc. If Sweeney is the winner of that competition, he'd be better in Right, with Dye moving to Left.

I think the biggest problem is the Bullpen. That is a whole separate thread, and we all have our ideas.

Starters: Providing we can deal Contreras, we could go with Garland, Buerhle, Vasquez, Danks, and the winner of the Floyd, Gio Gonzales, Nick Masset competition.
One point that no one has mentioned in this popular scenario is that with Gonzales, we would have 3 Lefties in the starting rotation. That would be unusual, but not a bad idea, in that most of the best hitters on the Central Division rivals are Lefties; ie; Hafner, Martinez (he's better from the left side), Mauer, and Mourneau.
The Tigers are the exception with their right handed hitting Ordonez, and Scheffield.

I have no idea if Brian Anderson would be given a chance to be included in their plans, or if he could perform, if asked.

I won't make up the lineup. but thought I'd throw my two cents' in.

jabrch
07-10-2007, 10:25 AM
3 japanese players? That seems somewhat crazy, dont you think?

Why is it crazy? No different than having 3 white players, black players, hispanic players or male players to me.

I just want guys who can play.

spiffie
07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
3 japanese players? That seems somewhat crazy, dont you think? I dont know if I wanna pay Fukudome so much money for never playing the the big leagues before. I rather have a proven Rowand in CF(rather than Fukudome) and move ichiro back to RF.

Why is it crazy? No different than having 3 white players, black players, hispanic players or male players to me.

I just want guys who can play.
Especially considering one of them was an AL MVP, another one has been a solid MLB 2B. It would be different if the idea was three players straight from Japanese ball.

I'm very intrigued by Fukudome and everything I've heard about him. He sounds like he could be an impact player here if he comes over, and I'd love to at least see the Sox in the mix for him. Obviously there's a limit, but with as many OF are going to be on the market this offseason, he might not be as expensive as usual.

The Immigrant
07-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Obviously there's a limit, but with as many OF are going to be on the market this offseason, he might not be as expensive as usual.

That's my hope. With Ichiro, Jones, Hunter, Rowand, Cameron, Dye and probably Abreu in the mix, I can't imagine too many teams will be interested in taking a chance on Fukudome.

Flight #24
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm very intrigued by Fukudome and everything I've heard about him. He sounds like he could be an impact player here if he comes over, and I'd love to at least see the Sox in the mix for him. Obviously there's a limit, but with as many OF are going to be on the market this offseason, he might not be as expensive as usual.

Also, it seems likely that the usual suspects (Boston, NYY, LAA) are relatively set in the corner OF slots (Manny/Drew, Matsui/Abreu, Vlady/Anderson). Mets & Cubs could be players though.

SoxSpeed22
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Lineup

Ichiro CF
Lastings Milledge LF
Kosuke Fukudome RF
Paul Konerko 1B
Daryle Ward DH (opts out of contract w/ Cubs)
AJ Pierzynski C
Joe Crede 3B
Brandon Wood SS
Danny Richar 2B

Bench

Ryan Sweeney OF
Toby Hall C
Pablo Ozuna util
Andy Gonzalez IF
Darin Erstad OF
Josh Fields 3B/1B (emergency 1B)

Rotation

Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Javier Vazquez
John Danks
Nick Masset

Bullpen

*edit* Arm acquired from trading Jermaine Dye
Boone Logan
Matt Thornton
Scott Linebrink
Octavio Dotel
Bobby Jenks

Moves:
Sox trade Jermaine Dye to Diamondbacks for pitcher/ infield prospects
Sox trade Jim Thome to Angels for Brandon Wood, Nathan Haynes and pitcher prospect (face it, to afford Ichiro, you have to get rid of someone because of reduced revenue)
Sox trade Jose Contreras and David Aardsma to Mets for Lastings Milledge and prospects
Sox acquire, then extend Scott Linebrink from Padres for Brian Anderson and Charlie Haegar
Sign Kosuke Fukudome from Japan
Sign Octavio Dotel from wherever he gets traded to
Sign Daryle Ward from Cubs

All in all, this team probably gets you 85 wins, a few more bullpen arms are needed, but I couldn't find them.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Contreras to the Mets for Aaron Heilman (-$8M)

Re-sign Iguchi (same money)

Re-sign Dye for LF (same money after a down year)

Trade/release Cintron (-$1.9M), keep Andy Gonzalez

Non-tender Pods (-$2.9M)

Sign Ichiro (+$17M)

Net payroll increase ~ $4.2M (with higher revenues due to Ichiro)

Lineup: Ichiro, Iguchi, Thome, PK, Dye, AJ, Crede, Anderson, Uribe
(vs. LHP: Thome sits, Dye DHs, Hall catches and Ozuna plays LF)

Bench: Ozuna, Mackowiak, Hall, Gonzalez, Erstad

Rotation: Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Danks, Gio/Floyd/Masset/Broadway

Pen: Jenks, Heilman, Thornton, MacDougal, Logan, Gio/Floyd/Masset/Broadway/Aardsma/Sisco/etc.

The Immigrant
07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Frater, you're overlooking the inevitable payroll increase resulting from pay raises to Buehrle ($4.5m), Garland ($2m), Uribe ($1m), Mackowiak ($0.5m) and Vazquez ($1.5m - his salary actually goes down by $1m, but we no longer get $2.5m annually from Arizona). That's almost $10 million right there, which pretty much eats up all of the payroll savings if Contreras is moved. As much as I'd like them to, there's no way the Sox are adding another $17 million on top of the current $100m payroll for Ichiro.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Frater, you're overlooking the inevitable payroll increase resulting from pay raises to Buehrle ($4.5m), Garland ($2m), Uribe ($1m), Mackowiak ($0.5m) and Vazquez ($1.5m - his salary actually goes down by $1m, but we no longer get $2.5m annually from Arizona). That's almost $10 million right there, which pretty much eats up all of the payroll savings if Contreras is moved. As much as I'd like them to, there's no way the Sox are adding another $17 million on top of the current $100m payroll for Ichiro.

Well, it looks like Ichiro's staying with the Mariners, so you can throw my idea on the scrap heap. :redface:

SoxSpeed22
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, it looks like Ichiro's staying with the Mariners, so you can throw my idea on the scrap heap. :redface:As with mine. We both had decent ideas though.

Hitmen77
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM

1- SS -David Eckstein
2- LF - Brian Sweeney
3- DH - Jim Thome
4- 1B - Paul Konerko
5- CF - Mike Cameron
7- C - A.J. Pierzynski
9- 2B - Danny Richar

SP - Jon Garland
SP - Javy Vazquez
SP - John Danks
SP - Lance Broadway

CL - Bobby Jenks
SU - Scott Linebrink
SU - Boone Logan
LR/SS - Nick Masset

The Sox are really in a bind now over their failure to develop many successful minor leaguers (either drafted or acquired through trade). Starting pitching depth looks good and Fields has a good shot at being successful at 3B. After that, we have too many holes and not much talent from the minors to fill those holes. Teams not named the Yankees or Red Sox just can't buy their way to success at that many positions.

If Andy Gonzalez is our starting RF, we're in for a long season. I think our best hope is your other alternative - to get a decent young outfielder in a trade.