PDA

View Full Version : Floyd starting Friday night?

Jerko
07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
According to sportsline's schedule.

8:11 pm Minnesota (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/MIN) Matt Garza (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1098892)
Chi. White Sox (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/schedule/CHW) Gavin Floyd (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/390847)

FOX Sports North Comcast

Foxsports schedule has a blank spot for the Sox starter for that game.

tick53
07-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Really....:?:

hose
07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
I thought Massett was going to start, I would like to see Floyd get a shot.

DumpJerry
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
The Tribune today mentions the possibility, but says Ozzie wants to see if Masset gets too much work before then to be unavailable.

Where's Wilbur Wood when you need him?

Jerko
07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
The Tribune today mentions the possibility, but says Ozzie wants to see if Masset gets too much work before then to be unavailable.

Where's Wilbur Wood when you need him?

Ozzie wants to see? He controls it! I think we can go 3 games without using Masset, especially with Javy pitching a complete game last night AND with 4 days off coming up.

Fungo
07-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Ozzie said this? Unless something major happens within the next few days, Masset should be very well rested. He hasn't pitching since the first game against Tampa Bay. Yet he'll keep throwing Bukvich out there. Bullpen mis-management at its finest folks.

Frontman
07-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Oh Lord, here we go. Whenever we need to handle the rotation, it gets scary for Sox fans. I was wondering why we haven't seen Masset for all this time. Ozzie must REALLY want the kid rested.

IlliniSox4Life
07-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Please lord let Floyd come up.

I like Masset, but if he starts at best he's going to give us 6 innings (Cubs game). That just gives the bullpen 3 innings to lose it. Floyd at least has the chance of going longer and holding off the pen.

UserNameBlank
07-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I hope not. I'd like to see Floyd up but only if he's going to stay up. Give the start to Masset unless someone (Jose?) is traded before then.

letsgosox1592
07-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I hope not. I'd like to see Floyd up but only if he's going to stay up. Give the start to Masset unless someone (Jose?) is traded before then.

i totally agree becuase what if floyd throws a no hitter or something, you would have a hard time taking him out.....if floyd starts the 2nd double header thats a sign for me that either one of the starting pitchers are getting dealt in the next week. hopefully its contearas and not buehrle.

oeo
07-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Ozzie wants to see? He controls it! I think we can go 3 games without using Masset, especially with Javy pitching a complete game last night AND with 4 days off coming up.

Uhm...how do you know? For all we know, Contreras could go down with an injury in the first inning tonight and Masset has to work a few innings.

santo=dorf
07-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I thought Massett was going to start, I would like to see Floyd get a shot.
I'd like to see Masset get sent down and STRETCHED! into a starter.

Make Gavin the long man/spot starter.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I hope this doesn't forshadow Buehrle being traded.

CLR01
07-04-2007, 03:52 PM

Why would calling up a pitcher to start game 2 of a double header foreshadow Buehrle getting traded?

kevingrt
07-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Why would calling up a pitcher to start game 2 of a double header foreshadow Buehrle getting traded?

Masset starting Saturday? Dark Clouds? Bad Omen

TDog
07-04-2007, 04:59 PM

That really wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think the Sox bullpen would be better if Floyd were working in relief. It might be best for the team's future that he start games in the minor leagues, but the same might be said for Masset.

The big problem with this season has not been lack of hitting. Obviously, it's been a bullpen with has underperformed in unbelievable terms. It isn't just the pitchers that people are willing to castigate, but it's been Thornton to a great extent. Even Jenks has blown three save opportunities. If the Sox had protected the leads they've had late in games, they would be in the thick of the race. While Masset has been inconsistent, Floyd would probably have more success. I think the Sox would get better bullpen production out of future starters than career relievers.

jabrch
07-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Someone should be traded - I don't really care whom as long as we get the best possible deal - Mark, Jon, Javy or Jose - whatever we can maximize our return for. So the odds are pretty good we will need to bring Gavin up no later than the trade deadline to start. Might as well do it now since we have the double header to cover for.

I loved what Nick did earlier this year, but I'd like to see Gavin get a crack at it.

palehozenychicty
07-04-2007, 05:37 PM
That really wouldn't be such a bad idea. I think the Sox bullpen would be better if Floyd were working in relief. It might be best for the team's future that he start games in the minor leagues, but the same might be said for Masset.

The big problem with this season has not been lack of hitting. Obviously, it's been a bullpen with has underperformed in unbelievable terms. It isn't just the pitchers that people are willing to castigate, but it's been Thornton to a great extent. Even Jenks has blown three save opportunities. If the Sox had protected the leads they've had late in games, they would be in the thick of the race. While Masset has been inconsistent, Floyd would probably have more success. I think the Sox would get better bullpen production out of future starters than career relievers.

As we know the bullpen has been abominable. But to say that the hitting hasn't been a problem is wrong as well. The Sox have very sketchy hitting philosophies. They were a problem at times in '05, but the pitching was so good from top to bottom that they were able to win. They need to change their philosophy of hitting as well with different players. Then we'll see more consistent at-bats and more wins.

jabrch
07-04-2007, 05:51 PM
As we know the bullpen has been abominable. But to say that the hitting hasn't been a problem is wrong as well. The Sox have very sketchy hitting philosophies. They were a problem at times in '05, but the pitching was so good from top to bottom that they were able to win. They need to change their philosophy of hitting as well with different players. Then we'll see more consistent at-bats and more wins.

Isn't this the worst offense in baseball, by nearly every measure? That's a bigger problem than the pen. If we hit better, the pen would have had more margin for error (which they made - quite often)

I still don't have any problem with any offensive philosophies. You can win in a lot of different ways. IMO, this team's problem was its execution.

TDog
07-04-2007, 06:38 PM

The lack of hitting has been a problem. The performance of the bullpen has been a bigger problem. The White Sox would be in the thick of the race if the bullpen had held leads.

It's true that the White Sox would also be in the thick of the race if the hitting were so good that games were out of reach of bullpen implosions and hitters came back games such as the loss Monday night. It's true that Detroit and Cleveland have gotten by with bad (but not abominable) bullpens. But the way this team is comprised, a season of slugging it out couldn't end in success. Just "fixing the hitting" wouldn't put the White Sox in contention this year.

Mohoney
07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I hope Floyd gets the start, Bukvich gets sent down (he's not ready to pitch at this level yet, and it shows), and Contreras gets traded to open up a spot for Floyd to stay in the rotation after the All Star break. Hopefully, Contreras can get us bullpen help that is more Major League ready than Bukvich.

jabrch
07-04-2007, 09:04 PM

This is the worst team avg, the worst team slg and the worst team obp in the AL. That's the problem. Our pitching as a whole is not terrible. Our bullpen has sucked, but they were put into that position by our offense, not our SP.

And it's not our approach. This approach has succeeded for two years in a row enough to win 189 games. It is the execution. I blame the top 5 hitters on this team for completely failing to deliver to their expectations.

Tragg
07-04-2007, 09:38 PM
And it's not our approach. This approach has succeeded for two years in a row enough to win 189 games.
The team has won 189 games, primarily because of pitching, as you said above. I think it's a leap to conclude that we won 189 because of approach and to immunize offensive approach from blame. IMO, we don't have the same approach as we did in 2005. If the 4 elements are a) power, b) abilility to get on base, c) speed, d)ability to move runners over we have too many hitters who are good only at d), if that. (and I would argue that d) is least important of the 4 and abilility in d) alone is insufficient for a ML hitter).

That wasn't the case in 2005 - we were far more balanced. Some of it's talent but approach/philosophy is part of the reason that that level of talent is on this team.

JB98
07-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I hope Floyd gets the start, Bukvich gets sent down (he's not ready to pitch at this level yet, and it shows), and Contreras gets traded to open up a spot for Floyd to stay in the rotation after the All Star break. Hopefully, Contreras can get us bullpen help that is more Major League ready than Bukvich.

Bukvich is a journeyman. I don't think he's a long-term solution to anything. However, I would argue that Aardsma is the guy who isn't long for the big leagues. He's clearly the worst pitcher on our team.

Flight #24
07-04-2007, 10:42 PM
This is the worst team avg, the worst team slg and the worst team obp in the AL. That's the problem. Our pitching as a whole is not terrible. Our bullpen has sucked, but they were put into that position by our offense, not our SP.

And it's not our approach. This approach has succeeded for two years in a row enough to win 189 games. It is the execution. I blame the top 5 hitters on this team for completely failing to deliver to their expectations.

The Sox have had the lead in a number of games late and the bullpen has completely crapped the bed (Monday being a prime example). In fact, I believe BP did a retrospective of 10 losses (during the big slump in May/June) which were directly attributable to the bullpen sucking.

Yes the O has been a problem, and if the O had been better and the 'pen sucked, the team might still be within range. But that doesnt absolve the bullpen.

JDsDirtySox
07-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Postgame Show just reported Aardsma back to AAA.
This opens up a spot on the roster which you could assume will be Gavin to start on Friday.

MCHSoxFan
07-04-2007, 11:33 PM
David was sent down! Floyd up?! :o:

MCHSoxFan
07-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Postgame Show just reported Aardsma back to AAA.
This opens up a spot on the roster which you could assume will be Gavin to start on Friday.

Sorry, did NOT know there was a second page!

jabrch
07-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Some of it's talent but approach/philosophy is part of the reason that that level of talent is on this team.

I believe that whole "approach" thing, which is usually code for walking more, is overrated. This team scored enough runs to win two years in a row. The SP was good enough this year again. The big difference is that this was the worst offense in the AL by a landslide in terms of execution and the pen failed to pull rabbits out of its ass.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 12:12 AM
The Sox have had the lead in a number of games late and the bullpen has completely crapped the bed (Monday being a prime example). In fact, I believe BP did a retrospective of 10 losses (during the big slump in May/June) which were directly attributable to the bullpen sucking.

Yes the O has been a problem, and if the O had been better and the 'pen sucked, the team might still be within range. But that doesnt absolve the bullpen.

The team has the 5th best ERA in the AL and was the worst offensive team. Sure - the pen disappointed us. But our pitching, as a whole, was about where we'd have expected it. The worst offense in baseball let us down much more than the 5th best pitching in the AL.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 12:18 AM

I'd say the worst offense in baseball is much more to blame than the 5th best pitching staff in the AL. (I know - the pen in isolation was worse - but still - the offense so underdelivered)

As far as BP's retrospectives - I don't care. I watched the games - I don't need a retrospective. In 26 games we have scored 2 runs or fewer. We are 1 and 25 in those games. Sure - the pen could have given a few runs fewer, but the offense is much more to blame for this season - mostly because the players who failed to deliver are all-stars, all-star calibre players, and people who we expected much more out of. The bullpen guys who failed to deliver were guys KW took bets on - and lost. The offensive stars grossly underperformed any expectations.

JorgeFabregas
07-05-2007, 12:43 AM
I'd say the worst offense in baseball is much more to blame than the 5th best pitching staff in the AL. (I know - the pen in isolation was worse - but still - the offense so underdelivered)
Understatement of the year. The bullpen is second to last in ALL OF MLB. The only reason our pitching is as high as fifth is because the starters were (before today) second in all of MLB and pitch a lot more innings than the bullpen.

The Sox offense is also second to last. Meaning that, relative to the rest of the league, the bullpen and offense have been equally attrocious.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Understatement of the year. The bullpen is second to last in ALL OF MLB. The only reason our pitching is as high as fifth is because the starters were (before today) second in all of MLB and pitch a lot more innings than the bullpen.

The Sox offense is also second to last. Meaning that, relative to the rest of the league, the bullpen and offense have been equally attrocious.

The Sox offense, in a hitters park in the AL is the worst OVERALL in baseball. If I had a choice, I'd fix the offense first and trust the 5th ranked AL pitching staff.

KW had to go inexpensive somewhere - and he did it in the bullpen. So the cheap, high risk bullpen didn't deliver. But the expensive, projectable offfense didn't deliver - and in fact failed to come close to any expectations. To me, that's MUCH worse.

harwar
07-05-2007, 09:09 AM

After Buehrle is gone sometime in the next couple of weeks,i'll bet we see Floyd take his spot,with Massett getting a shot at starter next spring.

russ99
07-05-2007, 09:55 AM
This is a win-win move for the Sox.

Floyd has been doing well in AAA, so the Sox give him a spot start to check his progress, especially so vs. the pesky Twins.

And if he does well vs. the Twins and a starter is traded (hopefully not Mark), the Sox already have a replacement.

I'm just annoyed that Garland gets the day game since I have tickets to the night game. Hopefully I'll get to see Floyd's first win with the Sox.

champagne030
07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm just annoyed that Garland gets the day game since I have tickets to the night game. Hopefully I'll get to see Floyd's first win with the Sox.

Since the start of the 2005 season Jon is 18-4 with a 3.61 ERA covering 206 2/3 innings during day games. I'll take him starting the day game. :cool:

Chicken Dinner
07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Please no Masset. 33.2 innings giving up 42 hits and 23 walks. That's 2 baserunners per inning. :o:

Flight #24
07-05-2007, 10:40 AM
KW had to go inexpensive somewhere - and he did it in the bullpen. So the cheap, high risk bullpen didn't deliver. But the expensive, projectable offfense didn't deliver - and in fact failed to come close to any expectations. To me, that's MUCH worse.

I'd dispute that KW should have expected the O to deliver along the lines of last year. Dye had a huge year, which should not have been expected to be repeated (although I would have expected something along the lines of his 2005). But IMO there were some pretty big holes in LF (huge injury ? on Pods), CF (ditto for Erstad and it was clear Anderson wasn't going to get real a shot and in any case he was a ? as well), and SS (known that Uribe was likely to suck).

So KW should have expected the offense to regress because he didn't improve anywhere except by adding injury-prone guys and because your MVP candidate was expected to drop off significantly. The way to use Erstad would have been to play him in spots to maintain health, but between him & Ozzie they didn't structure the team to do that.

Oh yeah, AND the 'pen with 4 rookies/unproven youngsters and your 2 "vet" setup guys being Thornton & MacDougal.:cuss:

And FWIW, I've always thought that a bad bullpen hurts a lot worse than a bad O. Blowing late leads consistently is much worse on the psyche than struggling to score.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I'd dispute that KW should have expected the O to deliver along the lines of last year.

But there was no way humanly possible to project it to be the absolute worst offense in baseball.

And FWIW, I've always thought that a bad bullpen hurts a lot worse than a bad O. Blowing late leads consistently is much worse on the psyche than struggling to score.

Psyche is one thing - and that's fine. But in my opinion an offense that can't put up more than 3 runs on a regular basis gives you no chance to win. If we had the same bullpen, but put up the same runs we have in any of the past 4 years, we'd be much closer to contention. If we had to choose between our 2005 offense and our 2007 bullpen or our 2007 offense with out 2005 bullpen, I'd take the former.

Another option would have been to save 10mm by going with 2 starters from the minors (Danks and ?) and not resigning Jose and using that money to sign 2 veteran relievers. But the problem there would have been that the fans would have screamed about nightmares of crappy rotations of days of the past (Wright, Munoz, Rauch, etc.) We were fortunate that Danks has been pretty good and kept us in games. If we had 2 guys in the rotation with no good experience, the odds of one not working and making our 5th starter a complete black hole.

There was no good reason to assume Thornton would fall apart. There was no good reason to assume McDougal would fall apart. Sisco, Aardsma, etc. were crap shoots, that also didn't pay. But going into this season, it would have been hard to project that everyone in this pen would be as bad as it has been. (sans Jenks and Boone)

spiffie
07-05-2007, 11:07 AM
But there was no way humanly possible to project it to be the absolute worst offense in baseball.

Psyche is one thing - and that's fine. But in my opinion an offense that can't put up more than 3 runs on a regular basis gives you no chance to win. If we had the same bullpen, but put up the same runs we have in any of the past 4 years, we'd be much closer to contention. If we had to choose between our 2005 offense and our 2007 bullpen or our 2007 offense with out 2005 bullpen, I'd take the former.

Another option would have been to save 10mm by going with 2 starters from the minors (Danks and ?) and not resigning Jose and using that money to sign 2 veteran relievers. But the problem there would have been that the fans would have screamed about nightmares of crappy rotations of days of the past (Wright, Munoz, Rauch, etc.) We were fortunate that Danks has been pretty good and kept us in games. If we had 2 guys in the rotation with no good experience, the odds of one not working and making our 5th starter a complete black hole.

There was no good reason to assume Thornton would fall apart. There was no good reason to assume McDougal would fall apart. Sisco, Aardsma, etc. were crap shoots, that also didn't pay. But going into this season, it would have been hard to project that everyone in this pen would be as bad as it has been. (sans Jenks and Boone)
There was no reason to assume MacDougal to implode perhaps, but there was also no track record to support him being the pitcher he was last year. Even in his all-star year he wasn't particuarly good, he just got a lot of chances to save games. Thornton has one decent year on his resume, which isn't much to go on either. Both MacDougal and Thornton have recent histories of not being very good pitchers. Now, I agree, it is a surprise they both crapped the bed this year, but honestly it seems like we were all being overly optimistic/Cooperphiliac to believe that they were both going to be what they were last year.

An interesting stat to me is that while they have lost 25 games with 2 runs or less, they have also lost 10 games with 5 or more runs. When one facet works, another seems to fall apart.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 11:16 AM
There was no reason to assume MacDougal to implode perhaps, but there was also no track record to support him being the pitcher he was last year. Even in his all-star year he wasn't particuarly good, he just got a lot of chances to save games. Thornton has one decent year on his resume, which isn't much to go on either. Both MacDougal and Thornton have recent histories of not being very good pitchers. Now, I agree, it is a surprise they both crapped the bed this year, but honestly it seems like we were all being overly optimistic/Cooperphiliac to believe that they were both going to be what they were last year.

An interesting stat to me is that while they have lost 25 games with 2 runs or less, they have also lost 10 games with 5 or more runs. When one facet works, another seems to fall apart.

Agreed - couldn't have assumed we'd have been the best bullpen in baseball. But the level of craptasticness was also unpredictable.

You are right - this team has sucked in a lot of ways - not putting it all together very often. It's been a bad season - hopefully just an anomaly.

JorgeFabregas
07-05-2007, 11:32 AM
The Sox offense, in a hitters park in the AL is the worst OVERALL in baseball.

Oh, I see. You're using batting average. Measuring them by runs scored or OPS they're second to last.

jabrch
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh, I see. You're using batting average. Measuring them by runs scored or OPS they're second to last.

In all of baseball (including teams with a pitcher hitting instead of a DH) we are 2nd to last in obp, last in average, 2nd to last in slg and 2nd to last in runs. If you look at just AL teams, we are last in all of those categories and it isn't even close.

Avg
20 pts worse than 2nd to last place (.373 vs .353)

Runs Scored
53 runs worse than 2nd to last (320 vs 373)

OBP
11 pts worse than 2nd to last (.312 vs .323)

SLG
17 pts worse than 2nd to last (.370 vs .383)

JD, PK, Thome, Crede, AJ, Iguchi, Uribe, etc. have failed miserably to live up to what anyone would have expected of them. And I am not talking about career years; I am talking about even career averages.

Frater Perdurabo
07-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Floyd pitch. As of right now, he'll probably be in the rotation next year anyway.

Can't we all agree that the offense and the bullpen BOTH suck?!?!?

The Immigrant
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cws

redsand22
07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
He's been decent down in the minors, it'll be interesting to see how he does up here.

ilsox7
07-05-2007, 02:58 PM
He's been decent down in the minors, it'll be interesting to see how he does up here.

He's been much better than decent.

INSox56
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Don't know if it's been posted yet...just received an email from the Sox. Gavin's been recalled.

oeo
07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
If his start goes well, ship Jose out...as long as they take on his full contract I don't care what we get in return.

mantis1212
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey, 7-3 with a 3.10 ERA looks pretty good. Let's see what he can do...

itsnotrequired
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Don't know if it's been posted yet...just received an email from the Sox. Gavin's been recalled.

Blammo.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070705&content_id=2068666&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

munchman33
07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Whether it's Buehrle or Contreras that's out, we really need to see if someone's ready to step in for next year. We have enough holes to fill for next year. Here's to hoping rotation won't be one of them.

Frontman
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Anyone still think moving Mark is a good deal after tonight's game?

Jose isn't the answer.

Garland's playing through pain.

Javy is hit/miss and we can't hope for more.

Danks is learning.

Floyd looked like a AAA pitcher.

Man, I sure hope Mark can stop the skid for us tomorrow.

SBSoxFan
07-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Jose isn't the answer.

Garland's playing through pain.

Javy is hit/miss and we can't hope for more.

Danks is learning.

Floyd looked like a AAA pitcher.

Man, I sure hope Mark can stop the skid for us tomorrow.

What's wrong with Garland?

I was thinking the same thing. After tonight's game Buehrle needs to get whatever he wants.

jabrch
07-07-2007, 08:21 AM

I'm fine with keeping Mark - if the situation works for the club. I'm fine with trading Mark also if the situation is best. But if we do keep him, what are we going to do to make changes in the OF and the bullpen? Where's that money coming from if we resign Mark to a 4 year 56mm deal?

Frontman
07-07-2007, 09:23 AM
What's wrong with Garland?

I was thinking the same thing. After tonight's game Buehrle needs to get whatever he wants.

Tightness in his throwing shoulder. He's had it since spring training, alledgedly.

tick53
07-07-2007, 09:31 AM
After the pounding we took (and deserved) in Game One with Garlands meltdown, I figured that Floyds premier in Game Two going against another AAA pitcher wasn't going to be pretty. To add insult to injury, Morneau my least favorite Twin took him yard twice.

Ozzie remarked in the postgame that he liked what he saw out of Floyd. I'd hate to see what one of the other young pitchers look like then. I'm not giving up on Floyd after one outing, I just think it was the icing on the double header cake. What a day!!

PeoriaSoxFan
07-07-2007, 09:35 AM
I believe Floyd had always had a problem of giving up HRs. My only sighting of him when he was in Philly was when he pitched the ball that Rowand caught before ripping his face off in the wall. As much as I would like to see it, I will be shocked if this guy ever amounts to a quality starting MLB pitcher.

Frontman
07-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I believe Floyd had always had a problem of giving up HRs. My only sighting of him when he was in Philly was when he pitched the ball that Rowand caught before ripping his face off in the wall. As much as I would like to see it, I will be shocked if this guy ever amounts to a quality starting MLB pitcher.

Giving up the longball doesn't bode well for a White Sox pitcher, as The Cell is a hitter's park.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
what are we going to do to make changes in the OF and the bullpen? Where's that money coming from if we resign Mark to a 4 year 56mm deal?

Trade Contreras ($9M), and then trade or don't re-sign Dye ($7M), Pods ($2.9M) and Iguchi ($3.25M). Even with Buehrle's new deal, which only adds $4.5 million to the payroll, and trying to keep payroll the same, that's $17.65M that can be used to upgrade elsewhere.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I didn't get to see last night's game and I've never seen Floyd pitch. I have read that he throws a lot of curveballs; that his curve is one of his two best pitches. So, does he give up lots of HRs because he has a tendency to hang a lot of curves that MLB hitters can clobber?

Frontman
07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I didn't get to see last night's game and I've never seen Floyd pitch. I have read that he throws a lot of curveballs; that his curve is one of his two best pitches. So, does he give up lots of HRs because he has a tendency to hang a lot of curves that MLB hitters can clobber?

His fastball also had very little movement on it through the zone. I'd say it was recall jitters, but with the way the Sox luck has been going? Probably not.

Flight #24
07-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm fine with keeping Mark - if the situation works for the club. I'm fine with trading Mark also if the situation is best. But if we do keep him, what are we going to do to make changes in the OF and the bullpen? Where's that money coming from if we resign Mark to a 4 year 56mm deal?

Same place where you'll find your #1 or #2 SP if you don't resign Mark. Sure, you'll have $14M to spend, but that'll get you something along the lines of Ted Lilly or Gil Meche, and maybe you'll have an extra $2M to put elsewhere. I'll take Mark Buehrle, thank you very much - it's a lot easier to find value in hitters than pitchers on the market.

Or would you really prefer to have the $14M and be rolling out Garland-Javy-Jose-Danks-????? Having question marks starting with your #2 starter and 2 guys who you have absolutely no idea what you'll get on a day to day basis does not make for a contender.