PDA

View Full Version : The Choice continues his MVP season


MattSharp
04-03-2002, 01:28 AM
Royce Clayton continued his quest for the trophy tonight by going 0 for 4. Forget Giambi and Mags and everyone else. my vote is for the Choice. His current average is .000.

Thanks Choice

GASHWOUND
04-03-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Royce Clayton continued his quest for the trophy tonight by going 0 for 4. Forget Giambi and Mags and everyone else. my vote is for the Choice. His current average is .000.

Thanks Choice

Well, at least he hasn't made an error.
:smile:

But its the Clayton we all come to love at the plate so far...

voodoochile
04-03-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Well, at least he hasn't made an error.
:smile:

But its the Clayton we all come to love at the plate so far...

You know, we would actually improve defensively if we moved Valentin to SS and put Crede at 3b. Whatever we lose defensively at SS (if anything) we more than make up for by having a 3B who knows how to field their position fluidly.

GASHWOUND
04-03-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile


You know, we would actually improve defensively if we moved Valentin to SS and put Crede at 3b. Whatever we lose defensively at SS (if anything) we more than make up for by having a 3B who knows how to field their position fluidly.

Well, you may think we would improve defensively if we moved Jose to short, but I don't. you can say what you will about Clayton at the plate, but he's very sound defensively, or dependable if you may. I'm would give Jose a shot at 3rd for know, hell...he may surprise us all by being pretty good. He has had more time to adjust to playing 3rd with the offseasona nd spring training knowing he wold be tehre instead of the playing 3 different position routine that JM had for him. Yeah, Crede is prob a way better defensive player than Jose, but I'm willing to give Jose at 3rd a try

duke of dorwood
04-03-2002, 08:43 AM
The choice just looks bad right now. And havent we learned, this may continue for sometime?

:hitless

It's that 9 spot

Kilroy
04-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Alex Rodriguez, Matt Lawton, Manny Ramirez, Bernie Williams, Jeff Cirrillo, Christian Guzman, Jeff Bagwell, Brian Jordan.

Pretty well known names, right? All damn good players, right?

Guess what they all have in common?

They're all 0-fer 2002.

A-Rod 0-7, Lawton 0-6, Cirrillo 0-7, ect.

They all suck and should be benched.

Dadawg_77
04-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Alex Rodriguez, Matt Lawton, Manny Ramirez, Bernie Williams, Jeff Cirrillo, Christian Guzman, Jeff Bagwell, Brian Jordan.

Pretty well known names, right? All damn good players, right?

Guess what they all have in common?

They're all 0-fer 2002.

A-Rod 0-7, Lawton 0-6, Cirrillo 0-7, ect.

They all suck and should be benched.


Those names are also prove hitters, unlike our current SS.

FarmerAndy
04-03-2002, 11:04 AM
C'mon. We've only played 2 games.

nut_stock
04-03-2002, 11:07 AM
What ticks me off, is that Clayton was swinging at some BAD, and i mean bad, pitches. If I remember correctly, his pitch selection durring his 1st half slump(last year) wasn't this bad! Open your damn eyes.

CubKilla
04-03-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Alex Rodriguez, Matt Lawton, Manny Ramirez, Bernie Williams, Jeff Cirrillo, Christian Guzman, Jeff Bagwell, Brian Jordan.

Pretty well known names, right? All damn good players, right?

Guess what they all have in common?

They're all 0-fer 2002.

A-Rod 0-7, Lawton 0-6, Cirrillo 0-7, ect.

They all suck and should be benched.

Has Choice ever had a season even close to these guys? If he had even ONE season, maybe I'd see your point. But to compare Choice to Pay-Rod and Womanny is like comparing bronze to gold. What's your point?

Kilroy
04-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
What's your point?


The point is that its two flippin games in and the Royce bitchin has started already. At least wait a couple weeks. Or at least wait until they've played one damn series!

FarmerAndy
04-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow


Has Choice ever had a season even close to these guys? If he had even ONE season, maybe I'd see your point. But to compare Choice to Pay-Rod and Womanny is like comparing bronze to gold. What's your point?

I think the point is that if great hitters like these guys can go the first 2 games without a hit, is it that suprising that a mediocre hitter like Clayton doesn't have a hit?????????? We've played 2 stinkin' games. Clayton is our number 9 hitter! Everybody is throwing a fit because our number nine hitter doesn't have a hit in 2 games. Frank hasn't looked so great either. He's watching alot of strikes fly right by him, and when he does swing he's popping everything up. The difference is, Frank is supposed to be a good hitter, but I don't hear anybody complaining about him yet. Of course, nobody should be complaining about him yet, because we are only 2 games into the season. Same with Clayton. If Royce doesn't have a hit by the middle of next week, then I'll start to worry. At least we have a shortstop who can catch the ball. If the rest of the lineup does what they are capable of, Clayton isn't going to kill us.

Of course, when he's not hitting well, I think Jerry should pinch hit Graffy for him in late inning situations like last night. Graffy's the best pinch hitter we have, and his glove won't kill us. Let's stop blaming the #9 hitter for all of our problems. The Bullpen and Jerry Manuel are what I'm most worried about.

rmusacch
04-03-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
What ticks me off, is that Clayton was swinging at some BAD, and i mean bad, pitches. If I remember correctly, his pitch selection durring his 1st half slump(last year) wasn't this bad! Open your damn eyes.

He looked way overmatched. One of his strikeouts, he swung at a pitch that bounced twice ;) before it made it to the plate.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Of course, when he [Clayton] is not hitting well, I think Jerry should pinch hit Graffy for him in late inning situations like last night. Graffy's the best pinch hitter we have, and his glove won't kill us. Let's stop blaming the #9 hitter for all of our problems. The Bullpen and Jerry Manuel are what I'm most worried about.

I'll second that. This is poor managing. Letting both Alomar and Clayton bat in that situation is unspeakably stupid. At least one of them should have been pulled for a pinch hitter.

As for our bullpen weakness, that's all we can afford. :smile:

:reinsy
"I've trained PHG well!"

yyz
04-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Granted its only two games into the season, but Royce looked very bad in his ABs last night. That last AB was just comical.

czalgosz
04-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I'll second that. This is poor managing. Letting both Alomar and Clayton bat in that situation is unspeakably stupid. At least one of them should have been pulled for a pinch hitter.


I wondered myself why Liefer didn't come off the bench to bat for either Clayton or Alomar, with Nelson on the mound.

Isn't that why you keep a guy like Jeff Liefer, for just those situations?

FarWestChicago
04-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Isn't that why you keep a guy like Jeff Liefer, for just those situations? :jerry

I made my Choice. And I'm sticking with it.


:hitless

Thanks for the ice cream, too!

duke of dorwood
04-03-2002, 03:42 PM
The manager was probably looking for Willie Harris

RedPinStripes
04-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:jerry

I made my Choice. And I'm sticking with it.


:hitless

Thanks for the ice cream, too!

*****!!!!!!!!


Looks like Chia head is going to be the middle of many more WSI brawls this year.

Foulke You
04-03-2002, 04:25 PM
Royce looks like he's pressing right now. He looked totally psyched out at the plate and struck out on two pitches that were 3 feet outside and in the dirt. We need 2nd half 2001 Royce to start showing his face now. I think that it will be interesting to see if Manuel has as much patience with Royce as he did last year. If Royce is batting a buck fifty by May 15th, I wonder if he'll still play every day?

Manuel gripe #1- Couldn't agree more on the pinch hitting comments. Why the frig didn't my main man Lief come up for Royce in that bases loaded situation? I could see letting Sandy hit because he's been relatively hot recently but Royce looked sick in his 1st couple at bats. You don't wait for a light hitting shortstop to break out of a game long slump when you have the bases loaded with 1 out. Besides, the lefty batter, righty pitcher situation would have favored us anyway. With Liefer's homerun swing, he could have easily lifted a fly ball deep enough to score Paulie and could very well have hit a grand slam since Nelson wasn't throwing his best stuff.

Maneul gripe #2- Why break in Porzio in a meat grinder situation like last night? For all intents and purposes this guy is a rookie. He was a dead man walking and Manuel led him to straight to the gallows. Ugh.

oldcomiskey
04-03-2002, 05:04 PM
well I got news for all of you clayton lovers--I hate him worse than I hated George Foster and Luis Alverado combined...although he still ain up there with Navarro---but hes damn close

pearso66
04-03-2002, 09:24 PM
nowi didnt get to watch the game last night, since im in MI, but if what was said is true, he swung at a pitch that bounced before the plate, what is he playing golf? or tennis?, and swung at a couple that were more than a foot outside, I personally dont care if it is the 1st game or the 162nd game, this guy should not be playing. im sure arod, and manny havnt swung at that bad of pitches, and im sure they have had some pretty solid hits, but they just got robbed, or they were trying for homeruns.

last night i was waiting for royce to show off his homerun swing, and he grounded out, thats terrible in that situation.

bjmarte
04-03-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
nowi didnt get to watch the game last night, since im in MI, but if what was said is true, he swung at a pitch that bounced before the plate, what is he playing golf? or tennis?, and swung at a couple that were more than a foot outside, I personally dont care if it is the 1st game or the 162nd game, this guy should not be playing. im sure arod, and manny havnt swung at that bad of pitches, and im sure they have had some pretty solid hits, but they just got robbed, or they were trying for homeruns.

last night i was waiting for royce to show off his homerun swing, and he grounded out, thats terrible in that situation.

Maybe I am exaggerating it in my head, but as I remember it the last one he swung at was way outside and bounced in front of the plate.

Bucktown
04-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Bench this guy. We can't afford to let him start us in another hole. I don't care if it is only 2 2/9 games. This is the only guy in the starting line-up without a hit. I for one don't want to wait to see if he can do worse than his 1 for 99 start.

Bucktown
04-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
Bench this guy. We can't afford to let him start us in another hole. I don't care if it is only 2 2/9 games. This is the only guy in the starting line-up without a hit. I for one don't want to wait to see if he can do worse than his 1 for 99 start.

You know, with a little Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque sauce this crow isn't half bad.

Kilroy
04-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown


You know, with a little Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque sauce this crow isn't half bad.


Haha!!! Atta boy, take it like a man.

voodoochile
04-04-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown


You know, with a little Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque sauce this crow isn't half bad.

Best sauce in the world - make anything taste good...

RichH55
04-04-2002, 01:02 AM
His hitting is very open to question...especially with his track record......but his Defense hasnt been that great either......How he doesnt have an error yet just shows the relative issues one can have with that stat...plus he has been shaky on some of the balls he has made plays on........and I counted at least one ball opening day that an SS with just a touch more range(Jose anyone?) could have made a play on....Its too early to judge either(especially hitting), but I dont think he is coming out and adding anything good to the club, especially with his clubhouse activities(or lack thereof) and his holding back Crede(by proxy)

ode to veeck
04-04-2002, 12:54 PM
with yesterday's three run blast, Buddy Lee's BA jumped

... to a whoppping .091

... still a few points below last April's blistering .100 pace

I gues the HR seals our fate; Royce (and not Crede) will be in the lineup through at least April--we're doomed!!

:bart