PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's new lingo

stacksedwards
07-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Last weekend in KC and last night against the O's. I have noticed that the Hawkaroo has changed up his vocab a bit. If I heard right, I have heard at least three times what used to known as the duck snort now being called the duck fart. Has anyone else noticed or heard this? Or should I stop sniffing glue?

nsolo
07-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Last weekend in KC and last night against the O's. I have noticed that the Hawkaroo has changed up his vocab a bit. If I heard right, I have heard at least three times what used to known as the duck snort now being called the duck fart. Has anyone else noticed or heard this? Or should I stop sniffing glue?
I didn't hear it, but considering this season, keep the glue handy.

Mr.1Dog
07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I have heard the "duck fart" as well on several occasions.

alohafri
07-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I have heard the "duck fart" as well on several occasions.

Maybe he realized that fart isn't one of the seven words.

MeteorsSox4367
07-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I noticed the "duck fart" reference, too. I also noticed that Hawk and DJ seem to be doing tag-team play-by-play during the middle of the game.

salty99
07-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Daggummit

Goose
07-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Hawk is turning into (more) of an embarrassment. He needs to leave the booth before he turns into more of a cartoon.

The Immigrant
07-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Between duckfarts and daggummits, and talking about teammates soiling themselves while sliding into second base, it appears that Hawk is finally losing his ****.

rdwj
07-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Hawk is turning into (more) of an embarrassment. He needs to leave the booth before he turns into more of a cartoon.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MsSoxVixen22
07-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Hearing Hawk talking about a past teammate soiling himself and saying duck fart, makes watching the Sox all that more enjoyable for me to watch. I know Hawk can ramble on about "the good old days" when he played but I'd still take Hawk and DJ (and Farmio and Singelton) over ANY Cub announcer any day of the week. Hawk bleeds White Sox. It hurts him as much as us, when the Sox play like ****.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 09:48 AM

Yeah, we need some generic announcer like Gary Thorne to put us all asleep during the games while he talks about hockey anecdotes.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I know Hawk can ramble on about "the good old days"

I rather listen to his stories about Yaz and Alvin Dark than anything that Kasper or Brenly bring to the table.

salty99
07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I say stick with Hawk but he does get annoying at times.

stacksedwards
07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I love Hawk I dont know how people can bag him. Especially Sox fans. How can you not want a homer calling your team's games? Hawk has close 60 years of experience and stories. Hawk takes it to heart when we play bad and is the happiest man in the park when we win.

DMBSOXFAN
07-03-2007, 09:58 AM
It seems like every year he has some new lingo. I was joking around with my buddy that in 10 years only us hardcore Sox fans will understand what he's saying. It will be like our own language.

kaufsox
07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
The only thing that drives me crazy about Hawk is how he disappears when things are going bad. It seems to have gotten worse this year than in other down years.

Having said that, the new language is welcome. I like that Hawk keeps coming up with new phrases while keeping the old. Kind of reminds me of a Dead show; we're going to get some "He Gone," "Dagummit" "Stretch," but when is the last time he busted out a good "Total BS!?" Reminds me of waiting for St. Stephen...

fusillirob1983
07-03-2007, 10:17 AM
but when is the last time he busted out a good "Total BS!?"

He said it during the Sox-Cubs game recently during the interference play. Not "total BS", but he did say "That is BS!"

LauraJ14
07-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Hawk is getting even more annoying than ever - daggumit needs to go away - it sounds so stupid.
The old stories are old - I have heard enough of Yaz and Ted Williams to last my lifetime,. We are the Chicago White Sox not the Boston Red Sox - go talk about Red Sox players to Red Sox fans, talk to me about White Sox players.
I can't remember if it was Sunday's game or last night when he and DJ were talking about the player that taught Walt Hrniak how to practice hitting during batting practice - I yelled Yaz at my TV before Hawk even said his name.
Is he ready to retire yet?

Actually all 4 of the Sox announcers can go away and it wouldn't bother me at all.

Goose
07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Actually all 4 of the Sox announcers can go away and it wouldn't bother me at all.

I am with you. You either love hawk or hate him. I am in the hate him group. Listen, I like homers as much as the next guy, but Hawk takes it to new levels. His complaining about calls - nearly every game - is tired. Roll your eyes at my comments all you want. Hawk is an embarrassment in my opinion. He sounds bush-league in the booth lately and it is not going to get any better. DJ is another story. He is annoying in his own right, but Hawk brings out the worst in him. His fake Southern accent make me wretch just listening to it...it is like he is a dummy sitting on Hawks knee...next time they show them in the booth, I will look closely when DJ is talking to see if I notice Hawk's lips moving.

Parrothead
07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I love Hawk I dont know how people can bag him. Especially Sox fans. How can you not want a homer calling your team's games? Hawk has close 60 years of experience and stories. Hawk takes it to heart when we play bad and is the happiest man in the park when we win.

I rather not have a homer and have guys like Harry and Piersall back in the day.

Noneck
07-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I rather not have a homer and have guys like Harry and Piersall back in the day.

They were the last of that breed. At least us older guys have the memories and realize how it could be fun to listen to a game when our team is out of the hunt in the 1st week of July.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I can't remember if it was Sunday's game or last night when he and DJ were talking about the player that taught Walt Hrniak how to practice hitting during batting practice - I yelled Yaz at my TV before Hawk even said his name.

I happened to see that too. I know exactly what moment you're talking about, but this is how you and I differ...

I thought it was interesting to listen to Harrelson talk about taking batting practice and trying to do something with the ball, rather than just going up there trying to hit homers or trying to hit the ball without a plan. Hawk talked about taking 10 balls to right, trying to hit 10 up the middle, then trying to pull 10 down the line, and then working his way around the field. That was a fascinating insight into the game by an ex-player. Now whether you disagree with that hitting philosophy or not (and whether you hate the Red Sox and Yaz or not), it was an interesting piece of insight that you would never get from a generic national broadcaster with no playing experience (ie Gary Thorne or Kasper). And DJ chimed in with how he had never had a plan during BP until he came to the Sox in '94 and learned this hitting approach from Hriniak, which is a fascinating look into his career too.

You can get caught up on the little catchphrases and nuances that these two guys have, but never overlook how much depth they bring to the booth. People take this stuff for granted. Everyone talks about Caray and Piersall being so great, but they never brought this kind of level of discussion to the booth. Whether you agree with it or disagree with it doesn't matter, but it's insightful commentary nonetheless.

PatK
07-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I loved last week when I was watching the game and Hawk and DJ got into a discussion about Barry Bonds and Maddux.

Hawk started telling the story, and DJ was like "That never happened" and they went at it.

goon
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Hawk is an embarrassment in my opinion.

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/MLB/Cubs/ron_santo_GI4.jpg

OH NO!

jdm2662
07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I am with you. You either love hawk or hate him. I am in the hate him group. Listen, I like homers as much as the next guy, but Hawk takes it to new levels. His complaining about calls - nearly every game - is tired. Roll your eyes at my comments all you want. Hawk is an embarrassment in my opinion. He sounds bush-league in the booth lately and it is not going to get any better. DJ is another story. He is annoying in his own right, but Hawk brings out the worst in him. His fake Southern accent make me wretch just listening to it...it is like he is a dummy sitting on Hawks knee...next time they show them in the booth, I will look closely when DJ is talking to see if I notice Hawk's lips moving.

I can't stand him either, and he's gotten worse than ever. Hell, it's bad enough watching the Sox poor play. Not sure what's worse, his whinning, or his lame ass excuses when the team plays bad.

Goose
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/MLB/Cubs/ron_santo_GI4.jpg

OH NO!

On the Bafoonary scale of 1-10, Santo is a strong 12.

Hawk is a solid 8.5-9.0

LauraJ14
07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I happened to see that too. I know exactly what moment you're talking about, but this is how you and I differ...

I thought it was interesting to listen to Harrelson talk about taking batting practice and trying to do something with the ball, rather than just going up there trying to hit homers or trying to hit the ball without a plan. Hawk talked about taking 10 balls to right, trying to hit 10 up the middle, then trying to pull 10 down the line, and then working his way around the field. That was a fascinating insight into the game by an ex-player. Now whether you disagree with that hitting philosophy or not (and whether you hate the Red Sox and Yaz or not), it was an interesting piece of insight that you would never get from a generic national broadcaster with no playing experience (ie Gary Thorne or Kasper). And DJ chimed in with how he had never had a plan during BP until he came to the Sox in '94 and learned this hitting approach from Hriniak, which is a fascinating look into his career too.

You can get caught up on the little catchphrases and nuances that these two guys have, but never overlook how much depth they bring to the booth. People take this stuff for granted. Everyone talks about Caray and Piersall being so great, but they never brought this kind of level of discussion to the booth. Whether you agree with it or disagree with it doesn't matter, but it's insightful commentary nonetheless.

The actual discussion about what to do during batting practice was interesting as was DJ's comments about what he did with the Sox in 94.
I want to hear more about what our White Sox players have done or are doing. Our slogan this year is passion, pride and tradition of the White Sox so lets talk about that. You have 3 former Sox players as announcers so there has to be something they can bring to the table.

I just found it funny that Yaz "invented" it when in fact some other non-Red Sox player could have been doing it before that.

oeo
07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
He used 'Nintendo stuff' (which is what AJ said about Zambozo's stuff on the Friday game against the Flubs) all game on Thursday. I hope he never says that again...ugh.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I can't stand him either, and he's gotten worse than ever. Hell, it's bad enough watching the Sox poor play. Not sure what's worse, his whinning, or his lame ass excuses when the team plays bad.
Yeah that. I used to love Hawk as a kid and in my early teens, but now he's an excuse-making apologist and gradually over the years I've been able to tolerate it less and less to the point where I've just started hating him. I do still love the catchphrases, but that's it... Sox home broadcasts are terrible.

What's even more annoying is fans who hate other fans who hate Hawk and try and convince said fan that they're a moron for having that opinion. Why is it an obligation to like him?

Noneck
07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
What's even more annoying is fans who hate other fans who hate Hawk and try and convince said fan that they're a moron for having that opinion. Why is it an obligation to like him?

It is because they don't have anyone else to compare him to. Out of town or national announcers are not a true comparison because they are not calling all the games for a team they love. I do understand why people love Harrelson, its because its all they have ever know. To me he is a arrogant shill that will always love the Sox. Red that is.

SOXandILLINI
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah that. I used to love Hawk as a kid and in my early teens, but now he's an excuse-making apologist and gradually over the years I've been able to tolerate it less and less to the point where I've just started hating him. I do still love the catchphrases, but that's it... Sox home broadcasts are terrible.

This could not have been said better. he is butt kisser to the extreme, and his act has gotten really old in a hurry. I too used to enjoy hawk, more with Wimpy than D Jerk, but i no longer can tolerate his crapola. I wish his tenure was " OVA ".

FireMariotti
07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
This could not have been said better. he is butt kisser to the extreme, and his act has gotten really old in a hurry. I too used to enjoy hawk, more with Wimpy than D Jerk, but i no longer can tolerate his crapola. I wish his tenure was " OVA ".

What makes DJ a jerk? He seems like a nice enough guy on TV, although he's not the greatest color man in history. Did he do something that I don't know about, or were you just attempting to be clever?

SOXandILLINI
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
No, jerk was the wrong word, i just find him impossible to listen to.

tony1972
07-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Actually..he had to pass gas and was giving DJ a warning..

Hawk to DJ "Duck! - I have to FART!"

soxinem1
07-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, we need some generic announcer like Gary Thorne to put us all asleep during the games while he talks about hockey anecdotes.

We already tried that back in 1989. It was so annoying hearing him get excited for Sox opponents game winning hits.

I used to wonder who he was pulling for........

And as far as Hawk's new lingo, yes, I did hear this a few times. I thought at first he was a bit toungue-twisted, and like any fart, it just came out. But apparently he is adding another catch phrase to the Hawk Dictionary.

PennStater98r
07-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Due to all the Hawk hate. I can tolerate the constructive criticism, but it only seems like Hawk-hate comes out when we're struggling...

Sox fans seem to always want something to ***** about, and since all we're doing is finding new ways to ***** about players' performance and it's getting old to complain about that - why not move to Hawk and DJ?

:threadsucks

lostfan
07-03-2007, 04:52 PM
I've been "*****ing" about Hawk for the past few years now.

Yeah just dismiss anything that disagrees with something you like and say it sucks...

Frontman
07-03-2007, 05:00 PM

In this era of political correctness, you will never-ever hear a broadcast team like that again.

Keep Hawk, he's at least smart enough to get quiet when things are really, really bad. Unlike Santo, who sounds like he'll cry if one more thing goes against the Cubs. (I will say this, the Cubs' radio PBP guy actually has a great voice. Granted, he's calling Cub games, so something needs to have some quality to those broadcasts.)

I did like his call last night.

DJ "You know, partner. He still can get you on a well placed fastball."

(Thome goes deep the second that's said.)

Hawk "Not that one. Waaaay back. He looks up......" (everyone knows the rest.)

And since Farmer was cool to me last year, I won't say a bad word about him. Singelton has improved a bunch, and will only keep getting better.

ode to veeck
07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I try to listen to Hawk as little as possible. Helps when he does one of his long silent periods.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
There are times when Hawk doesn't say "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD..." when the Sox hit HRs... why does he do that? That is, by far, the best call he makes and when he doesn't do it everything just feels empty.

Frontman
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
There are times when Hawk doesn't say "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD..." when the Sox hit HRs... why does he do that? That is, by far, the best call he makes and when he doesn't do it everything just feels empty.

Those are usually in the middle innings, when DJ and Singelton are left alone in their own booths and Farmer and Hawk are in the hallway complaining about their broadcast partners. :wink:

JB98
07-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Due to all the Hawk hate. I can tolerate the constructive criticism, but it only seems like Hawk-hate comes out when we're struggling...

Sox fans seem to always want something to ***** about, and since all we're doing is finding new ways to ***** about players' performance and it's getting old to complain about that - why not move to Hawk and DJ?

:threadsucks

I've always said Hawk is great when the Sox are winning. His passion for the team and joy comes out when things are going well. But in a poor season like this one, he's unlistenable. He's full of excuses. Weather, injuries, umpires, whatever. It's always something besides the fact that the team just sucks.

Hawk needs to understand he can't fool us fans. We all know the Sox are a horse**** team this year. It happens. There's nothing wrong with stating that fact.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Those are usually in the middle innings, when DJ and Singelton are left alone in their own booths and Farmer and Hawk are in the hallway complaining about their broadcast partners. :wink:
Heh. FWIW, I have heard Hawk talking just before or just after a HR and DJ will just go all the way through the home run call. The HR call is the one reason I listen to the broadcast.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah that. I used to love Hawk as a kid and in my early teens, but now he's an excuse-making apologist

Hawk's been making excuses and fighting the crusade against the umpires since he became a Sox announcer in '82. I'm not sure when you started watching him, but he's been using "teacup time" for years. I could give you countless examples from the late 80's or early 90's: "Strike three, according to Al Clark." There was a game in Texas in '91 when he went ballistic on the umpires when they missed a fair/foul ball down the thirdbase line that ended the game. Brunansky trapped Ozzie's liner down the line on the last game of the year in '90 in Boston, and Hawk went nuts even though the Sox were eliminated by that point.

I hate seeing the same kind of ignorant lines repeated here about Harrelson that I hear by the Score hosts on the rare occasion I turn that station on.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 05:46 PM

Paciorek's act got tired long before Hawk's ever will. I've grown to enjoy DJ mostly because of his improvement and his willingness to seem to be prepared for the games.

Noneck
07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Hawk needs to understand he can't fool us fans. We all know the Sox are a horse**** team this year. It happens. There's nothing wrong with stating that fact.

He probably doesn't say that because he is told not to say it. He's a total company man and wants fans to keep watching and going to park. He'll come come up with "Wait till they get hot" or "Its a matter of time till they get going" crap. He does what a shill is suppose to do, and does it well.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I hate seeing the same kind of ignorant lines repeated here about Harrelson that I hear by the Score hosts on the rare occasion I turn that station on.
Eh... I didn't listen to the Score when I was in Chicago for obvious reasons, now that I don't live in Chicago I really don't, so I don't know what those "lines" are to be honest.

ws05champs
07-03-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't mind daggummits.
I don't mind hearing about Yaz.
I don't mind duck farts.
However
I don't like playing golf.
I don't like watching golf.
I don't like listening about golf.
And I damn well don't like listening about golf when I'm watching the Sox.
Stick to baseball Hawk!
Thanks I feel better now.

JB98
07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
He probably doesn't say that because he is told not to say it. He's a total company man and wants fans to keep watching and going to park. He'll come come up with "Wait till they get hot" or "Its a matter of time till they get going" crap. He does what a shill is suppose to do, and does it well.

I suppose, but few people I know are buying it. I knew by the first weekend in June this team was screwed, although I had no idea at the time how bad it was going to get.

My whole family is made up of Sox fans. Ninety percent of my friends are Sox fans. I can't think of anyone other than Hawk who has said, "Wait till they get hot," lately.

lostfan
07-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Hawk's been making excuses and fighting the crusade against the umpires since he became a Sox announcer in '82. I'm not sure when you started watching him, but he's been using "teacup time" for years.
Oh, for the record I was born in '82. I started watching the Sox (and Cubs) in about 1990 and then the Sox exclusively a couple years later. I'm one of those people that has a gaping void between 1994 and about mid-1999 though and only fuzzy memories of baseball in that time thanks to the strike.

SOXandILLINI
07-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Let's protect everything White Sox, no matter how horrid it is.... Amazing how people talk about what sheep Cub fans are, and yet do the exact same thing about the Sox now that we've won a world series. Hawk has been getting worse and worse over the past 5 or 6 years, anyone who doesn't see it is drinking Sox kool aid, just like he does every night, Jonestown anyone?.. :gulp:

Daver
07-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Let's protect everything White Sox, no matter how horrid it is.... Amazing how people talk about what sheep Cub fans are, and yet do the exact same thing about the Sox now that we've won a world series. Hawk has been getting worse and worse over the past 5 or 6 years, anyone who doesn't see it is drinking Sox kool aid, just like he does every night, Jonestown anyone?.. :gulp:

Ken Harrelson has sucked for a lot more than five or six years.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 06:30 PM

He's got the same act he had six years ago or 15 years ago, so what do you mean when you say "he's getting worse and worse?" Are you implying he's getting old and losing his mind? I don't agree with that. Please explain.

SOXandILLINI
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
I knew 1 of 2 suspects would come back, i expected you. No point in getting into it with you, enjoy your blinders. Let me know when the 2005 honeymoon is over.... :redneck

SOXandILLINI
07-03-2007, 06:42 PM

Am i doing better with the shift key Daver?..... :D:

Frontman
07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't mind daggummits.
I don't mind hearing about Yaz.
I don't mind duck farts.
However
I don't like playing golf.
I don't like watching golf.
I don't like listening about golf.
And I damn well don't like listening about golf when I'm watching the Sox.
Stick to baseball Hawk!
Thanks I feel better now.

Can you imagine your frustration if they put Farmer and Harrelson together then?

:rolleyes:

Noneck
07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Can you imagine your frustration if they put Farmer and Harrelson together then?

You know what? I recently thought about that and think it would be a heck of alot better than now. I think they would rub each other the wrong way and that may entertain us. And at least Farmer can go back and talk about old time Sox players. (White that is, Not Red)

chaerulez
07-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I've never had any strong feelings about Hawk either way, but I do find it annoying when he talks about golf and gives shot outs to who he golfs with. The only other issue I have is I could do without instances like when he blew up during the interference call against the Cubs.

RowanDye
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM

You're entitled to your opinion, and I agree Hawk's stories can get old at imes, but who do you suggest to replace him?

For hating a guy so much, it's amazing how many examples you all have from listening to him.

Just press the mute button like I'm going to do whenever I see these incessant threads from now on!

Brian26
07-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I knew 1 of 2 suspects would come back, i expected you. No point in getting into it with you, enjoy your blinders. Let me know when the 2005 honeymoon is over.... :redneck

What does the 2005 season have to do with Ken Harrelson's broadcasting abilities? The answer is nothing.

Don't try to insult me with ridiculous comments if you can't back up what you said in the previous post. Explain how Harrelson is "getting worse year after year."

WSox597
07-03-2007, 07:55 PM
His latest is "Nintendo stuff". He came up with this brain fart during the Tampa Bay series. One minute he was babbling about some pitcher having electric stuff, the next minute it was "Nintendo, Nintendo stuff I tell ya'." Nintendo ought to sue him for defamation of their brand. Picture a parrot, sqawking, "Nintendo, Nintendo! Awwkk!"

Half the time he speaks like Popeye on acid. I have no idea what some of his sayings mean. I don't think I want to know.

I agree with Daver, he has sucked for much longer than 5 or 6 years. I was glad not to have to listen to him during the playoff run and World Series. I'm one of those who long for the day when I can say, "Hawk, HE GONE!"

And before any of his fanatics jump me, no, it won't make the bullpen pitch better, or make the offense hit better, and it won't make Mackowiak a CF either. It also won't make Guillen an English major.

SOXandILLINI
07-03-2007, 08:07 PM
What does the 2005 season have to do with Ken Harrelson's broadcasting abilities? The answer is nothing.

Don't try to insult me with ridiculous comments if you can't back up what you said in the previous post. Explain how Harrelson is "getting worse year after year."

You're right, he's fantastic. He doesn't scream dadgummit at the top of his lungs at a team that has no chance of winning anything... he never forgets what inning it is, or how many outs there are.... he's never dead wrong about the Sox getting screwed by the umpires, and not being man enough to admit it. You can say all you want that he hasn't changed in 15 years, you're dead wrong. Unlike some of the others in this thread, i used to like Hawk, he is now a joke. Maybe you need to take off your Sox sunglasses long enough to realize it. I'm done arguing with you. He has become a clown, sorry you don't see it, take it up with someone else who shares my opinion.

Brian26
07-03-2007, 08:30 PM
You're right, he's fantastic.

I never once said he was fantastic. I would only reserve that honor to Vin Scully.

He doesn't scream dadgummit at the top of his lungs at a team that has no chance of winning anything...

He screamed dadgummit when Thome missed hitting a home run in Pittsburgh by about two feet that would have given the Sox the lead two weeks ago in what would have been a huge comeback. It's geared at specific plays, not whether or not the Sox have a chance of winning a title. Or are you saying they don't have a chance of winning any games? I'll concede the first point to you, but they certainly have a chance to win some games, and they surely have a chance to hit some homers.

he never forgets what inning it is, or how many outs there are....

No announcer ever forgets what inning or how many outs. He surely must be senile, so let's lock him in a closet for the next 10 years. Maybe Santo can come over and do tv for us.

he's never dead wrong about the Sox getting screwed by the umpires, and not being man enough to admit it.

You're refering to the Sunday Cubs game play. It's already been discussed here. A.) Comcast blew it by not showing the replay of the obstruction until 15 minutes after the play, and B.) You, me, Rich Garcia, Hawk, and 99% of the people who saw the game didn't know the exact rule by memorization when it happened. This is a rather unique play to try to grill Hawk on, isn't it?

If you're saying Hawk's got a new act is going after the umpires, you're wrong about that too. I already cited the 1990 Boston and '91 Texas games as examples earlier in the thread.

You can say all you want that he hasn't changed in 15 years, you're dead wrong.

Prove it. Hawk's all about the catch phrase and the gimmick, whether it's One-Dog, Big Hurt, The Sweet Swinger, Black Jack, Shark Cartiledge, Some may be good, but none are better, YES!, the Bertucci Boys, I love cotton candy, that was some hemp, He Gone, You can put it on the board, El Caballo, Wimpy, Your What Hurts?, Hello, They've got my money there, Alvin Dark, ....

Hawk is the same as he was in 1992. Just because he's incorporating some new material, it doesn't mean he's changed.

Unlike some of the others in this thread, i used to like Hawk, he is now a joke.

Just explain to me what has become a joke.

Maybe you need to take off your Sox sunglasses long enough to realize it.

Defending Harrelson has nothing to do with any sort of blind love for the Sox or the 2005 World Series team. I could understand if you accused me of blind love for Harrelson, but that's not what you're doing. Just because I like the Sox, it doesn't mean I love their announcers. Chris Singleton is awful and should be nowhere near an MLB microphone.

I'm done arguing with you. He has become a clown, sorry you don't see it, take it up with someone else who shares my opinion.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I wish you could have defended your point better.

fusillirob1983
07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
He has become a clown, sorry you don't see it, take it up with someone else who shares my opinion.

I agree, he has become a clown. I'll be honest. I find it completely amusing, yet embarassing, and don't mind it at all. Sometimes he shares some interesting stories. Some of his stories are predictable and boring. I think he and DJ both have unique personalities that make it enjoyable to watch Sox games. Sometimes I laugh, am intrigued, shake my head in disbelief, or sometimes cover my face due to embarassment (even while watching games by myself at home).

Sure he cheers for the Sox, but he'll give credit to the other team too. He's definitely not the most professional announcer around either, but that really doesn't matter to me. The broadcaster should be describing the game and shouldn't be stealing the show. However, I've been watching the Sox since 1991 and haven't been exposed to many others (ESPN, Fox, Cubs).

kba
07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I can live with Hawk's corny catchphrases. I don't mind the golf stories. I even can put up with some griping about the umpires. But I have one request: When something significant happens in the game, SAY SOMETHING! Yes, even if a Sox player strikes out with the bases loaded or an opposing player drives in a run, open your mouth and find a few words to let me know it happened.

I don't always have my eyes glued to the set. Sometimes, the game is on TV in the next room as I do stuff around the house, or it's playing on mlb.tv in the background of my computer desktop. In this era of multi-tasking, a play-by-play announcer needs to say SOMETHING each time a batter strikes out or the ball is put in play. Too many times I've clicked back to the mlb.tv window after hearing a long period of crowd noise only to realize something bad has happened in the game and Hawk is silently brooding.

DickAllen72
07-03-2007, 11:39 PM
A big Amen to that!

Enough talk of "duck farts" and "pucker factors" and "pulling greased needles out of one's sphincter" etc. The man is an embarassment and has no class. That kind of talk is not appropriate in announcing a major league baseball game which should be geared for a family audience.

Not to mention his repetitious anecdotes and his constant whining.

Nellie_Fox
07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Ken Harrelson has sucked for a lot more than five or six years.I guess living out of the area for over nine years now, I only get Harrelson for the WGN games, so he hasn't worn out his welcome with me. I still enjoy him, and I especially enjoy how much he pisses off the Twins fans. It amazes me how upset they get when he refers to the opposition as "the bad guys."

Am i doing better with the shift key Daver?..... :D:I'm not Daver, but since you asked, how about that "i"?

oeo
07-04-2007, 01:18 AM
His latest is "Nintendo stuff". He came up with this brain fart during the Tampa Bay series. One minute he was babbling about some pitcher having electric stuff, the next minute it was "Nintendo, Nintendo stuff I tell ya'." Nintendo ought to sue him for defamation of their brand. Picture a parrot, sqawking, "Nintendo, Nintendo! Awwkk!"

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this 'Nintendo stuff' is from AJ. That's what AJ said about Zambrano's stuff a week and a half ago...now Hawk has taken it and ran with it. I hope he stops.

WSox597
07-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I didn't see your mention, sorry about that. I heard Harrelson say it last week in Tampa, but didn't know it originally came from A.J.

He does need to make it stop, though, wherever it originated.

I also agree with the poster who mentioned golf stories. I'm not a golfer, so the stories bore me. As a shooter, I think a golf course is a waste of a perfectly good rifle range.

Frontman
07-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but this 'Nintendo stuff' is from AJ. That's what AJ said about Zambrano's stuff a week and a half ago...now Hawk has taken it and ran with it. I hope he stops.

See AJ can get anyone in trouble!

I did like when DJ asked him what 'Nintendo stuff' meant he couldn't explain it.

Believe It!
07-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Hawk is a big reason I watch Sox games on TV. When they are on FOX or ESPN and I have to listen to those other bums try to call the game it just isnt the same. They don't know anything about our players, and frankly they don't care because we're the Sox, not the Cubs. Hawk genuinely cares about the team and he gets upset when they are doing poorly, just like I do. I like that about him. It's funny how people sit here and bash Hawk, but I'll be willing to bet that when something good happens in a game it's always a Hawkism that comes out of your mouth to describe the play. Whether you want to admit it or not, Hawk is one of the best of all time, how else could he stir up so much emotion in so many people?

I miss GRAB SOME BENCH

oldcomiskey
07-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Hawk to me is a little like Cosell. Im reminded of a story in which Cosell was voted the most loved and the most hated at the same time. When asked about it he said nobody else got 75 per cent of the vote.
He reminds me too of that weird uncle everybody has. The one who is always talking and not saying anything. I am and always will be a Hawk supporter, just like I sit and listen to that wierd uncle

Brian26
07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
See AJ can get anyone in trouble!

I did like when DJ asked him what 'Nintendo stuff' meant he couldn't explain it.

The great thing about that is that you know AJ owns all kinds of video game systems. I can see him and Garland playing XBox or the Wii in the Clubhouse, but Hawk was in his 40's when the Atari 2600 came out.

SOXSINCE'70
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Hearing Hawk talking about a past teammate soiling himself and saying duck fart, makes watching the Sox all that more enjoyable for me to watch. I know Hawk can ramble on about "the good old days" when he played but I'd still take Hawk and DJ (and Farmio and Singelton) over ANY Cub announcer any day of the week. Hawk bleeds White Sox. It hurts him as much as us, when the Sox play like ****.

Here,here!!

Yes,Hawk will test your patience many times,but he beats the hell
out of the garbage on the radio.Farmio might be better suited to analyst.
His play by play skills leave a lot to be desired (DUH!!) .And Singleton
might be good someday,but right now,he is painful to listen to.

PS- Is it me,or have the TV casts really begun to feature waaaayyy
too much DJ,and far less Hawk?? Is this the Sox' way of telling Harrelson
it's time to move on?? We'll see.DJ is ok,I guess,but he's no Hawk.

Frontman
07-04-2007, 11:52 AM
The great thing about that is that you know AJ owns all kinds of video game systems. I can see him and Garland playing XBox or the Wii in the Clubhouse, but Hawk was in his 40's when the Atari 2600 came out.

My wife and I were laughing about it last night when he started the "Nintendo stuff" again. She was giving Hawk the benefit of the doubt, like

"Well, like how its easier to play a video game of baseball and pitch a no-hitter like you do."

My reply,

"I would put good money on it that Harrelson has never played a PS2 or an Xbox, much less a Nintendo. He had to get the idea from someone else."

ws05champs
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM

:bundy

Droso5
07-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Hawk has been wearing on me as of late...and by late I mean the last 2 years. I enjoy his love of the White Sox and yes, his homerisms but for christ sake he needs to stop "busting loose" so much. Between his new danggummit, fake southern accent, droning stories about golf, litterally freaking out about correct umpire calls, complaining about strike zones, "sphincter" talk, "puckering up" talk, pooping your pants talk etc etc... his broadcast days are turning into nightmares for me.

Also, he just dissapears every game for at least an inning or two. I will not complain too much because I believe in my heart of hearts that DJ has been improving steadily over the seasons. (how many is it now?)

Dan the Man
07-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure if this was already mentioned or not, but Hawk calling fielding mishaps "eras" instead of "errors" is pretty annoying. Even the thickest southern drawls can pronounce "error" semi-correctly.

SOXandILLINI
07-04-2007, 04:52 PM
I guess it's not just me.... hmmm:rolleyes:

oldcomiskey
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Hawk has been wearing on me as of late...and by late I mean the last 2 years. I enjoy his love of the White Sox and yes, his homerisms but for christ sake he needs to stop "busting loose" so much. Between his new danggummit, fake southern accent, droning stories about golf, litterally freaking out about correct umpire calls, complaining about strike zones, "sphincter" talk, "puckering up" talk, pooping your pants talk etc etc... his broadcast days are turning into nightmares for me.

Also, he just dissapears every game for at least an inning or two. I will not complain too much because I believe in my heart of hearts that DJ has been improving steadily over the seasons. (how many is it now?)

maybe his fake southern accent comes in because he was born in Woodruff, South Carolina

stacksedwards
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Hawk is the man. He is an interesting person with many a great story. End of topic. Hawk has done lots from boxing to riding a donkey in the outfield in Dodger Stadium. He is a great story teller. Hearing what Hawk might say is one of the few reasons why I continue to watch such a bad team.

Jerko
07-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I loved stretch, he gone, and all the other staples, but dadgummit is getting on my nerves. Sounds like a whiner when he says that. The "THAT BALL HIT HARD" when it's not even to the warning track is getting old too. I guess I like his "old stuff" better than his current material.

soxfan1983
07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
they need to bring back rooney... and have hawk, farmer and rooney do a simulcast for tv and radio. get rid of dj and chris. they are both annoying.... dj more than chris

Droso5
07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
maybe his fake southern accent comes in because he was born in Woodruff, South Carolina

Yeah, maybe that's it.

nsolo
07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Last year, I posted the same link I'm posting now. It will take you to a site that features the voice of Bob Ufer, the now deceased voice of Michigan (or as he pronounced it Meeeeeeeeeechigan) football.

For those of you who think Hawk is a homer, which he is, the bar would have to be raised a great deal to equal the antics of Mr. Bob Ufer, an Ann Arbor idol. Growing up in this great State of Michigan, Saturday afternoons in the fall just didn't seem the same without hearing Ufer's announce the
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechigan games.

I, too, only get to hear Hawk via WGN. Therefore, he doesn't get a good deal of my time to wear thin. Yet, his unusual style is just about the only reason I tune in when I can see the Sox play. Watching the Sox on national tv, in comparison, is boring.

Go Blue! http://www.ufer.org/sounds.html Go to the right side of the page and look for the I.U./Michigan listing where Anthony Carter catches a game winning TD. Now THAT'S a homer!!!!!

ws05champs
07-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I loved stretch

Except now he starts yelling it when the ball doesn't even make the warning track.

SOXandILLINI
07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Except now he starts yelling it when the ball doesn't even make the warning track.

This is false, any rumor that Hawk has gotten any worse in the last several years, just isn't true.... :rolleyes:

PKalltheway
07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure if this was already mentioned or not, but Hawk calling fielding mishaps "eras" instead of "errors" is pretty annoying. Even the thickest southern drawls can pronounce "error" semi-correctly.
Marty Brennaman here in Cincy pronounces "error" the same way Hawk does. It isn't just Hawk. I think a substantial amount of people with a thick Southern accent pronounce "error" differently.

oldcomiskey
07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Marty Brennaman here in Cincy pronounces "error" the same way Hawk does. It isn't just Hawk. I think a substantial amount of people with a thick Southern accent pronounce "error" differently.

as someone who has lived in Dixie most of my life I can tell you that the l;anguage is vastly different. I cant tell you the number of times I would cringe at discovering that I was from Shicargo, Illinoise.When My grandmother died, my grandfather's brother looked at him and said and I quote, "it couldnt be hoped". Things like we were fixin' to eat and dreckly werent things just on the Beverly Hillbillies either. But I do love the drawls on the southern girls, and their accents are good too