PDA

View Full Version : Whats With The Score 670

Steelrod
07-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Does it strike anyone as odd the the White Sox flagship station is using a promo about "Cubs highlights, the only Chicago team with playoff possibilities" since mid June?

tebman
07-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Does it strike anyone as odd the the White Sox flagship station is using a promo about "Cubs highlights, the only Chicago team with playoff possibilities" since mid June?
WSCR is run by opportunistic hustlers. If that's the tagline they're using, it's tough to argue with it since it's a true statement.

No one's a bigger bandwagon-hopper than someone trying to sell something. WSCR is trying to sell commercials and they'll do whatever they think they need to do.

PatK
07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I think it's pretty bush league to be doing that, considering they are the Sox flagship station.

I cannot stand the Score, other than WhiteSox Weekly and sometimes Hit-and-Run.

Sports radio in general is horrible in this town.

Steelrod
07-03-2007, 09:49 AM
WSCR is run by opportunistic hustlers. If that's the tagline they're using, it's tough to argue with it since it's a true statement.

No one's a bigger bandwagon-hopper than someone trying to sell something. WSCR is trying to sell commercials and they'll do whatever they think they need to do.
Makes it kinda tough to sell ads for White Sox baseball broadcasts.

southside rocks
07-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Sports radio in general is horrible in this town.

That's true, but I stopped listening to the Score at all after that moron North fomented the AJ/Ozzie crapfest earlier this year, and when I flipped farther down the dial, I was surprised at how much better AM1000 (is that WMVP?) is than the Score. Not great, but a whole lot better than listening to the post-adolescent shoutings and rantings of the "Score guys." Of course, drilling a hole in my head with my Craftsman Cordless would be a whole lot better than listening to the "Score guys."

CLR01
07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
No, the score is first a Chicago sports talk radio station. They are not going to ignore the Cubs and cut off 50-60 percent of their audience just because they signed a deal to broadcast Sox games.

Dick Allen
07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Seems to me the Score has enough commercials as it is, which is the main reason I don't listen anymore. On the other hand, you never hear of the Sox on the Cubs' pathetic flagship station.

CLR01
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
On the other hand, you never hear of the Sox on the Cubs' pathetic flagship station.

That's probably because WGN is not a sports talk radio station but I'd bet if you tune in during their sports show you'll sometimes hear about the Sox.

Dan Mega
07-03-2007, 11:47 AM
That's probably because WGN is not a sports talk radio station but I'd bet if you tune in during their sports show you'll sometimes hear about the Sox.

They do talk about the Sox. Alot in fact.

I stopped listening to the Score because its almost nonstop commercials. ESPN 1000 is better.

Steelrod
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
No, the score is first a Chicago sports talk radio station. They are not going to ignore the Cubs and cut off 50-60 percent of their audience just because they signed a deal to broadcast Sox games.
It's one thing not to ignore the Cubs, they shouldn't.
It's another to take shots at the Sox with their drop ins. On top of that, This mornings drivetime show was encouraging people to call the Sox to tell them they are not going to renew their tickets!

CLR01
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
It's another to take shots at the Sox with their drop ins. On top of that, This mornings drivetime show was encouraging people to call the Sox to tell them they are not going to renew their tickets!

That's not taking shots, the Cubs are the only Chicago team with playoff possibilities that don't include 3 teams disappearing.

Look around these boards, there are Sox fans suggesting the same stuff.

eriqjaffe
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
I seem to remember that Reinsdorf had a lot of problems with the way AM1000 didn't tow the Sox company line enough, and that was a part of the reason why the Sox left for the Score in the first place. Oh, the irony!

The only thing the Score has going for it is a better signal. It's a shame they have to waste it with such terrible programming. I'm not a big sports radio fan, but the guys on the Score make MHJ sound like the Royal Shakespeare Company.

"Who you crappin'"? :barf:

jabrch
07-03-2007, 12:46 PM

The Radio station is and should be independent of the team that it broadcasts. I would hate it if I got sunshine blown up my backside by my team's radio station. That would be awful.

We suck this year. We are out of the playoff race. I don't blame the city for not wanting to talk about it. What more is there to say right now until Mark or JD get moved? The Cubs, like it or not, are putting a better product on the field. They deserve more attention. They should get bettercoverage. The Sox should get trash-talked by the Score in the same vane that people here do. That's the function that Sports Radio plays.

If the Sox want their flagship station to say good things about them, then they should do good things. That's Part of the risk that KW/JR/OG take by being smug and arrogant and not caring much for public perception.

Dick Allen
07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
They do talk about the Sox. Alot in fact.

I stopped listening to the Score because its almost nonstop commercials. ESPN 1000 is better.Then GN must have changed their ways. Whenever I tuned in, it was all Cubs all the time. Dave Kaplan is a huge Cub cheerleader. I just never bother tuning in anymore.

103 screwball
07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
The commercials seem worse lately. I can do my whole get ready for work routine and hear nothing but commercials. I can drive 25 min to work and hear commercials - update - commercials - 1-2 min about Bulls - commercials. I must have bad timing.

Podcasts is the way to go. Just download them and burn them to cd or get an Ipod. Great way to be entertained or learn something without... blah blah blah heavenly bodies...blah blah bla MY GUYS!.

GoGoGoGo
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
It's absolutely insane to think that the Score should tell anything other than the truth about the Sox, especially considering how much we all HATE the way the tribune can be about the Cubs.

A little consistency?

eriqjaffe
07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
The commercials seem worse lately. I can do my whole get ready for work routine and hear nothing but commercials. I can drive 25 min to work and hear commercials - update - commercials - 1-2 min about Bulls - commercials. I must have bad timing.

Podcasts is the way to go. Just download them and burn them to cd or get an Ipod. Great way to be entertained or learn something without... blah blah blah heavenly bodies...blah blah bla MY GUYS!.Are there any good Sox podcasts out there?

bryPt
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Between 3:30 PM and 4 PM, I think there is only 2 minutes of programming. I drive home from work then, and a few times, I would never hear B and B. I switch over to Dahl and it is the same thing there. Between the two, I get to listen to 30 straight minutes of commercials.

I turned the Score off this week, since the MB reporting trainwreck actually. Back to listening to Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, Barefoot Natives, Hapa and more on the Zune. The Season is too depressing, knowing that MB is in all likelihood gone, and the Cubs over .500 and it is time to turn everything off.

tebman
07-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Between 3:30 PM and 4 PM, I think there is only 2 minutes of programming. I drive home from work then, and a few times, I would never hear B and B. I switch over to Dahl and it is the same thing there. Between the two, I get to listen to 30 straight minutes of commercials.

I turned the Score off this week, since the MB reporting trainwreck actually. Back to listening to Porcupine Tree, Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, Barefoot Natives, Hapa and more on the Zune. The Season is too depressing, knowing that MB is in all likelihood gone, and the Cubs over .500 and it is time to turn everything off.
I can tell you my solution to that problem. Three words: Books On Tape. :tongue:

PatK
07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
We suck this year. We are out of the playoff race. I don't blame the city for not wanting to talk about it. What more is there to say right now until Mark or JD get moved? The Cubs, like it or not, are putting a better product on the field. They deserve more attention. They should get bettercoverage. The Sox should get trash-talked by the Score in the same vane that people here do. That's the function that Sports Radio plays.

If the Sox want their flagship station to say good things about them, then they should do good things. That's Part of the risk that KW/JR/OG take by being smug and arrogant and not caring much for public perception.

The Cubs are generally crappy year in and year out, yet have always gotten more coverage than the Sox.

You didn't hear the same kind of slamming of the Cubs last year as you have with the Sox this year.

AZChiSoxFan
07-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Sports radio in general is horrible.

Fixed it for ya.

rocky biddle
07-03-2007, 04:04 PM
The Chicago media sucks.

Foulke You
07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
The Cubs are generally crappy year in and year out, yet have always gotten more coverage than the Sox.

You didn't hear the same kind of slamming of the Cubs last year as you have with the Sox this year.
This was my argument in a different thread about these promos. The Sox were in contention last year all the way through mid-September and won 90 games. The Cubs meanwhile, had one of the worst records in all of baseball. Did we hear any ads in June declaring "Hey Chicago! There is still one team in it and we have you covered here on The Score for the White Sox!" A simple promo declaring the Cubs in a division race would have been enough to get their point but by saying "there's still one team in it", is a shot towards the Sox that I don't understand.

tick53
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
The Score used to be a great radio station when they were back on 820 and even somewhat 1160. Now they have become unlistenable. I still like Ranger, but he's the only one left. Pappy totally sucks, Boers and Bernstien have become arrogant blowhards and Murphy is just too much Cubs for my liking.

jabrch
07-04-2007, 09:34 AM

Sadly - the Cubs have more fans than the Sox do. THat's why they always get more coverage.

And you always here people talk about how perrenially horrible the Cubs are. Sox fans have higher standards, so we are more disappointed when we fail to meet them.

Fenway
07-04-2007, 09:52 AM

This is typical for CBS. WFAN is the Mets flagship but all day it is Yankee talk

veeter
07-04-2007, 11:21 AM
The Radio station is and should be independent of the team that it broadcasts. I would hate it if I got sunshine blown up my backside by my team's radio station. That would be awful.

If the Sox want their flagship station to say good things about them, then they should do good things. That's Part of the risk that KW/JR/OG take by being smug and arrogant and not caring much for public perception.Which I think ties into their change in ad strategy. I hate seeing these slow-mo commercials, on how great Dye and Erstad are, when Dye sucks and Erstad is always hurt. Not to mention the team has a horrible record.

Lip Man 1
07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Jab brings up some terriffic points particularly the one about 'not caring' about public perception.

Whether or not ownership feels it's in compitition with the Cubs, the fans do, from both sides of town and that factors in heavily.

Ignoring for want of a better word, the reality of the situation doesn't fix the problem.

And to think that at least at one point in time the Sox dominated the city and the media coverage only to lose it through factors that were in some cases of the franchise's own making is very sad.

(And no I'm not talking about 2005...)

Lip

soxfanreggie
07-04-2007, 02:15 PM
I cringe every time the Score touts Murphy as "Chicago's Biggest Baseball Fan". He is just a Cubs blowhard. Maybe he's the Cubs biggest apologist, but that's about it. B & B didn't used to be that bad, but now they just go off on random subject and trash callers who don't agree with them. North is a load of crap. I don't know how that guy still has a job, and from the rumblings I have heard, he is liked by few, very few at the station. I will say that Rongey and Holmes are very good.

Noneck
07-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I cringe every time the Score touts Murphy as "Chicago's Biggest Baseball Fan". He is just a Cubs blowhard. Maybe he's the Cubs biggest apologist, but that's about it. B & B didn't used to be that bad, but now they just go off on random subject and trash callers who don't agree with them. North is a load of crap. I don't know how that guy still has a job, and from the rumblings I have heard, he is liked by few, very few at the station. I will say that Rongey and Holmes are very good.

I haven't listened to Murphy lately but I did prior to this year. He was actually not too bad. He got on Johnnie Baker and Andy McFail bigtime. I know he's a big cubs fan and couldn't care less about the Sox but he wasn't one of those cubs fans wearing rose colored glasses. Also before Stone came to wscr Murphy had Piersal, who I loved to listen to.

103 screwball
07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Are there any good Sox podcasts out there?
I've listened to one called Soxcast. Search the I tunes store and there will be a few. I like the PTI podcast which is basically the audio from the show. I do not listen to the Sox podcasts very often because I'm always on the message boards and by the time the podcast is out, I've already read about it here. There is some great entertaining stuff. Itunes will tell you what is popular and you can search for things that interest you. There are reviews that can help you figure out if it is quality or not. They sure beat listing to murphy and commercials.